Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How did you find Edmunds (and the Forums?)

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited December 2013 in General

How did you find Edmunds (and the Forums?) 18 votes

Internet search
33%
bpeebleslex13ray80obyonegsdudagotti 6 votes
Link from another site
5%
brian125 1 vote
TV, news or radio ad or mention in an article
0%
Knew the name from the Edmund's New Car Prices: Buyer's Guide
38%
cmhj2000eliasKCRamkyfdxsteversdladyMichaell 7 votes
Other
22%
Karen_SKirstie_HMr_ShiftrightPF_Flyer 4 votes

Comments

• Options

Feel free to expound on your selection in the comments.

• Options

Looks like you have to vote in order to see the results to date.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

I started out as child, reading the road tests in Consumer Reports, and comparing all of the numbers.. Graduated to buying the Edmunds price guides as an adult. Signed up here in 2002, when I was researching buying a new car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

I remember the books that Edmunds published when I was a kid in the 70's. Can't remember if I ever bought any (or had my mom buy them for me). Somehow, I was around from the very beginning when Edmunds.com came on line in the 90's. Was an original member of the forums, so have participated in many software upgrades over the years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

I bought an Edmunds magazine when I was in high school in the late 60's.

Somehow I heard about these forums and have been around since they began in, I think, 1996 or late 1995. I too have gone through several "upgrades"

• Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

This is the oldest one I still have... took the pic alongside this webpage to show it's real ;)

• Options
    lex13lex13 Member Posts: 12
    Internet search

I used to check the car lease and purchase forums because they were in alphabetical order and easy to find. I can't say that I can find what i'm looking for now. Perhaps i'm just looking in the wrong place but thus far i'm not a fan of the upgrade.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

@lex13 said: I can't say that I can find what i'm looking for now.

Try looking through the "Participated" list in the box where the Bookmarks link is. Those appear to be the record of discussions which I read or posted in through my decades on Edmunds. I went through the first few pages and checked the little star making it gold so that page was bookmarked.

@le13 said: ...but thus far i'm not a fan of the upgrade.

I was really concerned because I don't like the arrangement in the other auto sites which I frequent related to the specific cars I own. I was really concerned Edmunds would become one of those clunky sites. But it didn't. It still has the look and feel in the page layout and posts.

I found the shortcuts to doing things the way I like which is primarily using the mouse and the left and right buttons to maneuver through the site. After the first few visits, I took a deep breath and realized it was change and I could change some or be frustrated. There are things I liked that I miss, but I face the same problem of change with my XP Pro on my laptop and one desktop: they won't be supported by Microsoft for security after April, so I'm changing one to Windows 7 Pro and the other outmoded CPU I'll replace with a Vista computer which needs new capacitors soldered into the motherboard, that used to belong to friends for whom I maintain their computer.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209

i bought the little paperback edmunds once yearly during my 1980s IROC & Z28 years. it was fun reading along with "the want-advertiser", for checking out cars. pretty sure i've been here on edmunds.com since year 1 - how do i get 'badges' for that btw?! :)

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited December 2013

@elias said:
    i bought the little paperback edmunds once yearly during my 1980s IROC & Z28 years. it was fun reading along with "the want-advertiser", for checking out cars. pretty sure i've been here on edmunds.com since year 1 - how do i get 'badges' for that btw?! :)

I believe I remember using Edmunds books for my 1977 Cutlass Supreme. Possibly I am confusing using it for my 1980 Cutlass purchase. But I can recall the quality newstand which carried Edmunds--most didn't--and it was near University of Cincinnati campus. There were one or two other books purporting to know dealer pricing, but they reported much high dealer costs than did Edmunds.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Internet search

Many years ago - I researched many-many forums which are dedicated to vehicles. I also evaluated ease-of-use as well as 'treatment' from other members. After being treated quite badly at some other sites (called names and belittled)... I ended up with Edmunds where I feel well-treated. The moderators at Edmunds are vigilant, yet at the same time they are lenient when the situation calls for it.

This it the reason I am still a member of Edmunds Forums.

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited December 2013
    Other

@bpeebles said:
    Many years ago - I researched many-many forums which are dedicated to vehicles. I also evaluated ease-of-use as well as 'treatment' from other members. After being treated quite badly at some other sites (called names and belittled)... I ended up with Edmunds where I feel well-treated.

I couldn't agree more about the civility of the community here. We really seem to avoid the knock-down drag-out online battles that permeate a lot of other forums. And as passionate as people can get about their car, that's a real credit to our members! B)

This discussion has been closed.