Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cooper123cooper123 Member Posts: 6

Flex cash is some sort of American Honda Finance promotion, and is only available at certain dealers?

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited December 2013

Calculus,

Every area's market will have different pricing. I always tell the folks buying here on edmunds not to be fooled into thinking you could get xxx price like in Md , Va, or CA, area. The leverage and key factors to getting a good/ great deal all depends on how far your willing to travel. How many dealerships you get involved and how good you play the game or can negotiate.Buying at the end of the month will get you better pricing from dealerships trying to make there sales numbers for the month or quarter. Like a good card game you never tip your hand til the end of the month. Always make each dealer feel if he cant close you that moment or give you his very best price he/she may have lost that sale once you hang up with them.

Up in Plattsburgh you have 2 local dealerships with dellla honda being one. Not the greatest dealership as far as pricing. Here is my suggestion. Call and email as many honda dealerships that your willing to travel to within a 100/ 200 mile radius. there might be 10 or 12 maybe more. If you decide to stay with only your 2 local dealers make your best deal last 2 days last day of this month Expecting pricing within a few hundred of each other. There probably both in cohoots with each other anyway... LOL.

Call/ Email each dealerships internet manager.... tell each one that for 1000 below invoice price on your model and choice crv you will buy it that moment leaving a credit card deposit til you could get down to pick up vehicle.

After you called all your dealerships leave a number and tell them you will be buying at the end of dec unless someone meets your price to buy today of 1000 below invoice price... make each dealership comit to your price with yes or no.. All dealerships that say no make them give you a counter offer. If a dealership cant do it.. thank them and move on to the next dealership. I like to talk directly to each manager i know within 3 mins if he is lying to me or if he/she wants to sell a vehicle that moment.. Managers that are clueless or wont deal over the phone just thank them and move on.. Another key is not stepping into that showroom floor unless your there to pick up your vehicle.My way cuts out the middle man and that whole let me talk to my manager 5 times while you sit there hours on end..

If your not a good negotiator put what i'm saying to you in a email directly to the dealerships internet mgr. If you go this route call /google each dealerhip and ask for the name, number and email address of the int/ mgr. Its always best to work out pricing online or by phone then going to the dealership to close the deal.. Or you could have dealership fax you over the bill of sale then leave dealership a deposit by credit card. this is how i buy most of my vehicles by fax.

here is the correct number on your lx awd model

Invoice.....................22,723

dest charge...................830

23,553 is the Invoice price with out......... tax, tags , and doc fee's added onto bill.

23,553 minus 1000 below invoice price = 22,553 this is your target price to buy.

After you call your dealerships and xxx price is the best you could do on the last days of this month... make your best deal closest to your home. Your area's market is not selling like other states. A target price of 500 below invoice to 1000 below should be obtainable. If you cant get 1000 below you may get a few dealers willing to sell at 800 below. etc. but atleast you know by getting more dealerships involved you will have the best chance to get to or close to your target price.

merry x- mas .. good luck you will do good

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• buyer80buyer80 Member Posts: 2

IS $30000 OTD a good price for a Honda CR-V EX-L AWD W/ NAVI?

edited December 2013

Buyer80

every state has a different tax rate, dmv fee, and doc fee charge. without listing these charges plus the actual selling price of the vehicle nobody will be able to help you.
    below is what you need to post for help

selling price ?

was dest/ charge included in price?

how much is dealerships doc fee charge?

what state are you buying in?

The total OTD price will only help people buying in your state. Otherwise OTD pricing is a useless number to all of us for reasons listed above..

• peacewarrior1peacewarrior1 Member Posts: 4

I live in Southern California and looking to buy a 2014 CRV-LX model and see that several of you from Southern California got some great deals. Please send me the name of the dealer. I am thinking of buying on December 31.

• donneledonnele Member Posts: 6

@brian125 1st off happy holidays! and thank you so much for answering during this time! I will wait to get closer to what you and someone else also is suggesting - based on the Invoice price of 28,574 hopefully they can come down some more. I was wondering also the same as someone else "Flex Cash" - is this for specific dealers? and at what point do you question about it.

you ask every daelership you call or visit if they have flex cash to give. The dealerships that have flex cash are the dealers you try to make your best deal with 1st.

• prash12prash12 Member Posts: 2

I am from Southern CA-Los Angeles area. I got an offer of 23584 for 2014 Honda CRV EX 2WD. The dealer is quoting OTD as 25,642. Is this a good deal? What is the best price for 2014 EX 2WD that I can expect? Please let me know.

• calculus1918calculus1918 Member Posts: 3

Brian,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will start to explore over the next few weeks. Hopefully a decent deal will be found despite the lack of dealerships in our area. Can't thank you enough to take the time for the write up, happy holidays!!!

• Jerseydevil01Jerseydevil01 Member Posts: 151

Hi, I am in the philly area and got a price on crv-EXL includes dest of 26883. does not include doc tax dmv.. Does this seem good. MRP is 29875

• mwigginmwiggin Member Posts: 2

Hi - I just sealed the deal on a Honda CRV- LX FWD. I'm thinking I did pretty well. Did a lot of homework, Cars.com. Edmunds, Consumer Reports. Went into a dealership briefly to test drive then put used the internet to have dealers in a 200 mile radius court me. The number look like this:

Invoice........... 20,446
    Dest Charge.........830
    Doc Fee...............299
    TTL.....................325
    OTD................21,900

The dealer delivered it to my house (an hour and a half away). I'm feeling pretty good.

Whatcha think?

• pabbiwpabbiw Member Posts: 3

@mwiggin said:
    Hi - I just sealed the deal on a Honda CRV- LX FWD. I'm thinking I did pretty well. Did a lot of homework, Cars.com. Edmunds, Consumer Reports. Went into a dealership briefly to test drive then put used the internet to have dealers in a 200 mile radius court me. The number look like this:

Invoice........... 20,446
    Dest Charge.........830
    Doc Fee...............299
    TTL.....................325
    OTD................21,900

The dealer delivered it to my house (an hour and a half away). I'm feeling pretty good.

Whatcha think?

In which state & dealer- please share info..seems like you got a good deal buddy

mw

From what you posted and minusing your doc fee's off your deal... at $1,977. below invoice price was a monster deal for a 2014 model.

Post name of dealership and city so others could try to get a simular deal.

• pabbiwpabbiw Member Posts: 3

@crutch07 said:
    I live in Michigan and am in the market for CR-V EX 4WD. I have contacted all of the dealerships in a 100 mile radius to get quotes and am waiting to here back. I went into a dealership here in town(Grand Rapids) yesterday and was talking to a Sales rep and he was very adamant about me paying the MSRP 27125 PLUS the dest fee.. I think that is totally ridiculous. For the car he was asking OTD 29500. Is it reasonable for me to try and get 27000 OTD at these dealerships or should I be shooting for lower. The invoice price of this model is 25,520, correct?

Did you get good deal in Michigan ?

Pls share I have 22924 Invoice price for today on CRV LX 4WD.

Thanks

• kevinv25kevinv25 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2013

I think your math is off. Invoice for LX FWD is $21,554 without destination charge. He got it for $20,446 before destination charge so it is $1108 below invoice without considering doc fee. I'm assuming he lives in a no tax state, that why his OTD price is so low.

@brian125 said:
    mw

From what you posted and minusing your doc fee's off your deal... at $1,977. below invoice price was a monster deal for a 2014 model.

Post name of dealership and city so others could try to get a simular deal.

• harper11harper11 Member Posts: 5

I read posts here and got some good information. Thanks for your help...I hope. Just finished purchasing a 2014 CRV LX AWD in Virginia. Paid $22,354.00 base price which included the $830 destination fee. We added on rails and cross bars for $841. So with the added cost of Va sales tax and tags we walked out the door for 24,444.00.

kevin

thanks for correcting me i used numbers for the lx awd model. At almost 2k below would of been a monster deal.

• minnmareminnmare Member Posts: 1

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the tips here. I'm looking to buy a CR-V EX-L AWD sometime in the next week or so (whenever the price is right.) I'm in the Twin Cities MN area. I'm shooting for $27,000 + TTL. So far two different dealers have quoted me $27,900 and $27,650 as selling prices (plus taxes and fees.) I'm going to contact more dealers and wait it out until closer to the end of the month but the dealers I've spoken with so far seem convinced that flex cash will run out before then.... Not sure what my move should be. Do I wait it out and risk loosing the $500 flex cash? Also when speaking to dealers via phone, what should I say and what should I avoid saying? Do I tell them what price other dealers are offering?

I'm a little confused about negotiating tactics. Anyone in the twin cities have advice about the market here as far as where to aim for selling price (ex. $800-1500 below invoice)? I appreciate any help. Thanks

I don't know how it is in MN, but the dealership we dealt with gave us $500 flex cash, but then said they actually had only $165 left in flex cash so the dealership "ate" the difference so they could honor their online quote.

• mwigginmwiggin Member Posts: 2

Hi Brian,

You said From what you posted and minusing your doc fee's off your deal... at $1,977. below invoice price was a monster deal for a 2014 model. I may have confused you saying I got a CRV LX FWD. It's a 2WD. (I thought the F stood for front wheel drive). Are your figures still correct with a 2 wheel drive LX?

I'm in South Carolina, so the taxes are capped at $300.

• rssdrssd Member Posts: 7

@peacewarrior1 said:
    I live in Southern California and looking to buy a 2014 CRV-LX model and see that several of you from Southern California got some great deals. Please send me the name of the dealer. I am thinking of buying on December 31.

Hi Peacewarrior1, I purchased my Honda 2014 CR-V LX 2WD from Poway Honda a few days ago. I paid $21000 + TTL (OTD was $23029). So this was $1,384 below the invoice price of $22,384. For details, please see my earlier post dated Dec 21. You may want to try if a dealership nearer to you is willing to price match this one.

mwiggiin,

My error i misread and applied the sales numbers from the lx awd model. You made a good deal at over 1100 below invoice. after minusing your doc fee;s your in that 800 to 1500 range. Remember all area's will not get near that 1500 mark. For SC you did well.. Enjoy your new crv.

• prash12prash12 Member Posts: 2

Hi Brian,
    I am from Southern CA-Los Angeles area. I got an offer of 23584 for 2014 Honda CRV EX 2WD. The dealer is quoting OTD as 25,642. Is this a good deal? What is the best price for 2014 EX 2WD that I can expect? Please let me know.

• snpy213snpy213 Member Posts: 2

hi,
    I got a quote for 2014 CRV EX-L from a dealer in Boston area for $26,500 that includes the destination fee. The dealer says he cannot offer flex cash as they are exhausted. Can anyone let me know if the price is okay? I can wait till the last two days of this year. I am still collecting quotes from Maryland and N.Virginia dealers. Thank you.

• snpy213snpy213 Member Posts: 2

oh..to be specific 2014 CRV EX-L AWD for $26,500 (which includes the dest. fee). Thanks

• howtobuycarhowtobuycar Member Posts: 3

@ena0304 said:
    Please help me I am trying to buy my first car. I am in NJ looking to buy a 2014 CR-V EX AWD. One NJ dealer has given me an OTD price over the phone(not in writing) of $26,700. Is this a good price? I tried to get a better deal from some other dealers but no one is committing. All are saying you come to us and we will give you a better deal. Some are asking for written quote to better it/match it. Any suggestions ??

Hi, can you PM me which dealership you got this price please?

• howtobuycarhowtobuycar Member Posts: 3

@brian125 said:
    cooper123

800 to 1500 below invoice on the selling price of the vehicle............. doc's, tags, taxes then are added onto that number. If a dealer has the flex cash and you plan on financing vehicle thru honda minus a additional 500 off bill of sale at the end of your transaction..

Sorry, newbie here,

Is there a standard universal invoice price on the market? Where can you get that invoice price? Looks like every dealer has different invoice price...

edited December 2013

how to buy,

Read my prior posts they apply to you also on how to make a good deal. you could find all vehicle pricing on Edmunds, Nada pricing, KBB.com, True car, etc.

800 to 1500 below invoice price is a good deal for a 2014 model.. NY and NJ markets are selling on the lower end of those prices.

Read thru the past 6 or 7 pages to get a idea of area pricing and tips on how to buy your vehicle at the lowest price.. after you read thru the boards and you still need help post your question and we will help you. Reading thru the boards is good for all newbie's to learn. Many of your questions will be answered..

Brian

• roundheadroundhead Member Posts: 3

Hi, bought 2014 CRV LX FWD in Texas today. OTD 22100. Breakdown: Car price 20907+ttl 1426+doc 125+ inventory tax 41 minus 400 finance cash. Is this deal good?

I spent about a week doing research and this forum helped a lot. Thanks to Brian and ostrich123!

roundhead

800 to 1500 below your models invoice price is a good deal. 1500 or more being a top deal.

enjoy your new crv...

I went to TrueCar and got a quote from local dealers and one quote stood out with a price of $20,289. This is for a 2014 LX model. I called the dealer and he confirmed the price and to add about 10-11% for TTL for estimated OTD price. I did recieve a price certificate via email with that price. I will call around and see if any dealer can beat that price.

• dce33dce33 Member Posts: 6

I have been reading the posts here and helped me out in getting my 2014 Honda CRV - EXL AWD. I got it for $27,000(destination fee included) + TTL, no flex cash. I got mine in New York. Thank you guys.

edited December 2013

That is a very good price for an LX FWD if it is legit, but I have a feeling that they will not honor that price when you go to the dealership. I got a very low quote also from TruCar only to find out that the dealer wanted to add on a $995 security system and $895 protection package to the price. They will not honor the low quoted price without the add-on so I left. This was Honda Cars of Corona so beware of that.

@peacewarrior1 said:
    I went to TrueCar and got a quote from local dealers and one quote stood out with a price of $20,289. This is for a 2014 LX model. I called the dealer and he confirmed the price and to add about 10-11% for TTL for estimated OTD price. I did recieve a price certificate via email with that price. I will call around and see if any dealer can beat that price.

• SsethiSsethi Member Posts: 2

Hi Brian,

Here is what I am being offered in Atlanta for Honda Crv-2014 EXL 2wd. ( accessories: Tailgate spoiler, body side molding, wheel locks, splash guards, cargo tray trunk and all season mats).

Invoice including destination : $ 26046.75
    Dealer Administrative fee : $ 599
    Dealer Electronic Tittle and Reg fee: $49
    TAVT Tax: $1784.25
    Title tag reg fee $18
    GA MV warranty $3
    Total balance =28,500
    Flex Cash = -500

Total out of the door price is ($28000) This OTD price includes all accessories installed + 3 years of maintenance contract.

Please let me know if it is a good deal.
    Thanks.

• t241t241 Member Posts: 1

Thanks, Kevin. You just save me a trip to Corona for tomorrow.

@kevinv25 said:
    That is a very good price for an LX FWD if it is legit, but I have a feeling that they will not honor that price when you go to the dealership. I got a very low quote also from TruCar only to find out that the dealer wanted to add on a $995 security system and $895 protection package to the price. They will not honor the low quoted price without the add-on so I left. This was Honda Cars of Corona so beware of that.

• mozzarellamozzarella Member Posts: 2

brian125,

Thank you so much for taking time to respond to everyone's questions. This information has been incredibily helpful and will certainly save me money.
    I do have some questions for you. I am poised to purchase a 2014 AWD LX CRV during the next few days. I live in Colorado. There are 22 of this exact model in the exact color I want within a 75 mile radius.

1. Based on this level of inventory, in your opinion, is it likely I will be able to negotiate a price closer to 1500 below invoice?
    2. How do you negotiate with the dealer? Do you just say I am not interested in negotiating, however, I will purchase the CRV for $1500 below invoice plus destination, tax, tags and 100 for doc/dealer handling fees?
    3. Does my location of Colorado affect my negotiating ability for an AWD vehicle?
    4. Colorado does not have a limit to how much can be charged for dealer handling. Would it be best to assume $100 to be a fair amount?
    5. Are dealer handling fees the same as doc fees?
    6. Prior to December 25th, a $500 Flex Cash incentive for financing with Honda was listed for 2013 and 2014 CRVs. That has now changed to only 2013 CRVs. I asked some dealers if that incentive was still available. Some said yes and some no. Does this vary by dealer and are the incentives listed on the Honda website not necessarily correct?
    7. Just to confirm, when determining a price with a dealer, I should negotiate Invoice price - 1500(hopefully) + destination + Tax+Tag+Doc fee (hopefully about $100)

Thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,

Mozzy

• dinkydinky Member Posts: 5

I live in ohio and want to purchase 2014 CRV LX AWD, the price promise price I was quoted was $23,573 and then taxes, and tax and title. is this a good price?

Thanks Kevin because the low quote was from Corona Honda. You saved me a trip and lot of $#$@$5 at them too. I knew it sounded to good to be true.

edited December 2013

mozzy

supply and demand play a big part in pricing. you have very good supply so pricing will be in your favor. email and call each internet manager telling each dealer make, model color, and any accessories you wont .. your message to dealers is for your model. I will buy it today if you meet my price of xxx. Make each dealer comitt to a yes or no.. go down your list of targeted dealerships with meet my price i buy now. Read my prior posts and apply what i'm saying you will do good. Deal only with the internet managers.. A salesman is like you being in the middle and most times they want you in that showroom. Cut the middle man out, make your best deal from the comfort of your home holding your purchase with a credit card deposit. make your best deal by email and phone then go to the dealership.

Handling fee and doc fee are 2 different charges both are dealer profit charges and bs.

If your state has high doc fee charges know them prior to calling each dealership and add them to your asking price making that charge a wash on the bill of sale. Handling fee is bs tell each dealer you want my business remove this charge or i buy elsewhere.

Hope this helps

edited December 2013

Flex cash ................ not all dealers have it. Thru the month it's on a first come basis. Every dealer has the option how they use it. 2013/ 2014model.

knowing
    each dealerships doc fee charges, handling fee's and if they have flex cash makes your job easier when calling those int/ mgrs to make your offer to buy.

dealers that offer flex on the 2014 model is who you try to make the deal with 1st

dinky

Invoice price on the 2014 lx, awd with dest/ charge =23,553. get more dealerships involved you want to be in that 800 to 1500 below invoice price range..

• mozzarellamozzarella Member Posts: 2

brian125,

Thank you for responding to my post. I do appreciate your advice. I will let everyone here know how I make out.

Mozzy

Thanks Brian125. My buddy at work suggested I try car www.carbargains.com to do all the work for me. He said he used the service and bought his car for $750 under invoice. Anyone try this car buying service?

• hondax4hondax4 Member Posts: 24

Prash12.. I just bought the CRV EX fwd for 23,00 destination included--This was with trade of 11500 on 2007 Pilot-way over other dealers. I'm not sure about LA but has to be a ton of dealers like Houston and lots of volume- I think you can do similar or even a little better....

Feeling good about our purchase of a CRV-LX AWD at $22,354. $1200 below invoice price.

Never used that website but you should have no problem getting about $1000 below invoice for the 2014 CR-V LX FWD model which is about $21,500. That was the final price at a few of the dealerships in SoCal that I went to before they let me walk out door. One of them is Honda World in Downey if that is close to you. If you can find a dealership that still have flex cash, you can subtract $500 from that price so it will be $21,000 if you finance through Honda but I suspect most dealerships in SoCal are out of flex cash by now.

@peacewarrior1 said:
    Thanks Brian125. My buddy at work suggested I try car www.carbargains.com to do all the work for me. He said he used the service and bought his car for $750 under invoice. Anyone try this car buying service?

try truecar pricing also as a guide but not your final price..

• SsethiSsethi Member Posts: 2

Hi Brian,

Here is what I am being offered in Atlanta for Honda Crv-2014 EXL 2wd. ( accessories: Tailgate spoiler, body side molding, wheel locks, splash guards, cargo tray trunk and all season mats).

Invoice including destination : $ 26046.75 Dealer Administrative fee : $ 599 Dealer Electronic Tittle and Reg fee: $49 TAVT Tax: $1784.25 Title tag reg fee $18 GA MV warranty $3 Total balance =28,500 Flex Cash = -500

Total out of the door price is ($28000) This OTD price includes all accessories installed + 3 years of maintenance contract.

Is this a good deal? Thank you for your help.

• hls65hls65 Member Posts: 6

Hey Brian I am in the Upstate of SC and this is the best price so far, dealing via internet managers. 2014 EXL-2wd, dealer installed options-Wheel locks, Splash Guards, Trunk Tray) 25,753 including destination. Their Dealer fee is $299 plus TTL.. With Invoice 26830, I am hoping to get between 1500-2000 below invoice. I am surprised of the dealers not willing to deal, a few haven't even responded to my email requests... guess this area just isn't hungry enough? After reading everyone's posts it seems like the deal I have been offerred is good? I just thought since it is the end of year and with the extra $3k incentive these dealers are possibly getting, they would offer deeper discounts. Am I being greedy?

edited December 2013

hls 65

If your in that 800 to 1500 below invoice range for a 2014 you have made a good deal..Some area's like MD, and Va are seeing better sale prices. If you fall short of your target price of 2k below 1500 is still a great deal for this suv.. I doubt your area will discount that much.. But its worth a try..

try to get this dealer to eat his 299 doc fee charge or add that price onto your asking price. this would put you close to 1500 below with those added accessories. making that vehicle with add on's a great deal on your end.. keep us posted..