Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ctr123ctr123 Member Posts: 7

Glen,

Thank you so much for sharing the info. One dealer agreed for 20100 for vehicle price, destination and doc fees few hours back. Looks like 19,900 can be tried.

• lil_owllil_owl Member Posts: 47
    So even though I had a email quote in writing including a base price and an out the door price stating very clearly by them the price included destination and NO accessories needed to be purchased (and in my portion no incentives) it was NOT honored. Not only did the car have accessories but they expected the financing to go through them also....so our agreed upon price for the EX went from 21,500 to 23,000. Needless to say we walked.
  • flatfeetflatfeet Member Posts: 13

****2013 Civic LX Sedan - Central NC****

Newbie in central NC here! Great thread with very helpful people!! Looking to buy a 2013 Civic LX, 4 door by 12.31.13. Does anyone have experience buying from dealers in Cary/Durham/Raleigh or Oxford, NC? I want a '13 because the '14 Civics have the new CVT trannys and I'm leery of them! Do you think $15000 cash is an attainable OTD price for a '13 LX with a MSRP of $19,755 and invoice at $18,422? Please advise ASAP!

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

carbuyer

call directly to each dealerships internet managers. dealerships that are busy will put you on the back burner, or they will tell you to come down.. that is what you dont want to do. dealerships that are in striking distance you mat want to visit.

stay away from these dealerships in NY. Plaza and Paragon. both dealerships lie and play games just to get you down.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• naazimnaazim Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2013

I just wanna say for those shopping for a Honda in or around Houston, just save yourself time and frustration and avoid any Gillman branded dealer. I haven't bought yet, but my god, these are the worst I've seen in the business. I went to two of them.

• hps25hps25 Member Posts: 20

Monty,

You get really good deal for V6.. your price is 2445 below invoice. Is it include flex cash ?

edited December 2013

carbuyer

There are also 12 honda dealersips in long island NY. There is huntington and atlantic. google to see how far out on the island you want to travel and reach out to there dealerships internet manager.

As far as a target price i could tell you 1500 below may be a top target price to get in our area. The only folks who will know are buyers like yourself contacting dealerships.

You may find that 800 to 1000 below invoice price is the best you could do plus paying a dealers doc fee charge ..That seems to be the norm here. If thats the case that represents your area's market price.Make your best deal closest to your home. If you have read the posts in this forum use the info to help you make the lowest possible deal.

I can tell you from experience the buying game starts sunday and ends on tuesday night. Thats when you will make the best possible deal. Get as many dealerships involved as possible letting each dealership know what your target price to buy is???

Monday night i plan on buying 2 vehicles for friends.. A chevy,and Hyundai. At 4 pm i will start my emails and calls to 25 or 30 dealerships internet managers with my target price to buy that night. . If i cant get my targeted price i will re-adjust for the sale. Everything we talk about in this forum does work and will help you make the best possible deal. Be patient you will find dealers that will give you there bottom line prices these next few days..

• montybeemontybee Member Posts: 2
    hps25

Thanks for reply. I thought it was. I'm even thinking it sounds too good to be true. :-) It does not include flex cash, but I will bring up to them.
  • carbuyer209carbuyer209 Member Posts: 26

Brian,

Thank you very much. I had emailed Paragon but did not provide my telephone number, so they were trying to get me to call them, which I haven't done. I will cross them off the list.

A couple additional questions. Am I likely to have any luck with a dealership if the car (color) I prefer is not in their inventory? That is, will I need to change my preference to get a better deal or are they likely to be willing to do a trade with another dealer at the same price? Also, with respect to the doc fee, is it typical to be able to get a better price on the vehicle itself in NJ since they have much higher doc fees? In other words, if my target price is, say, $1000 under invoice, is it reasonable to adjust that to something higher for NJ to absorb the higher fee or do I need to provide a target price inclusive of doc fees?

Thank you again for the help!

edited December 2013

flatfeet

Your looking at 3400 below invoice. probably not be obtainable. dealers may go up to to 3k below invoice with a incentive plus taxes, tags , and doc fee charge. You want tax included in that 15k deal never never gonna happen..... Your 15k cash means nothing to them. dealers get paid whether you buy or finance the vehicle. If a dealer has many 2013 civic's on his lot you stand a better chance of getting a lower price..... with just a couple of civic's on dealers lots means pricing wont be as good.. Supply and demand.. Your best bet is to buy that 2013 model next year jan,2014. Now your buying a 1 year old model vehicle ................... your 3400 offer might be entertained.

Brian, I found in a prior post where you answered my question to you about the doc fee (Sorry. I really dislike this new Edmunds format). I'm still curious as to your thoughts about whether it is worth contacting dealerships that do not appear to have the exact model (color) in stock that would be my preference. If I were to not do so, it would significantly reduce the number of potential dealerships.

Have any of you heard of being made to get a back up loan?

Once our credit union is faxed the sales agreement they overnight a check. I was told yesterday that the dealer would not hold the car while waiting for the check (well the CU won't cut the check without a sales agreement and VIN) and the dealer won't let us have the car for 10 days until the check clears. Seriously?!?

This sounds really fishy to me as they could easily verify with the bank the approval and check.....and just a ploy to get a loan through them.
    edited December 2013
    Newbie tip:

Make sure your dealer letter includes all of the car info you are looking to buy such as that it is an automatic. A dealer was going to match my quote but used the "it doesn't clearly state automatic or CVT so it must have been for a MT which is cheaper" card. (Yes, obviously because that IS the more popular one).

So lesson learned. They will go through the letter with a fine-tooth comb and find anything they can as a way to not honor their word.
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117

If you are shopping in Norcal as I am, definitely stay away from HONDA OF CONCORD. I got the complete bait and switch there yesterday. Of course, it's still not the last day of the month, so they are still lying and cheating. The 31st seems to bring more truth to the table ;).

Either way, avoid Honda of Concord.

edited December 2013
    @zigster38

Thanks for the tip. I am in SoCal and the dealer I would avoid down here is Sierra Honda in Monrovia. Shenanigans galore. They pulled the "salesman didn't properly read your email and didn't have the authority to agree to that low price" which changed to "there was a misunderstanding between the salesman and the manager." Really?!? Things were pretty spelled out and in black in white on my end.
    edited December 2013

Glen,

Which credit union did you get loan. I am not much aware of where to get cheaper loan, if honda financing doesnt work out. could you plz share details.

Question regarding contacting dealerships by email. Should I get the email of the internet managers and send an email to them directly or is it sufficient to use the "get eQuote" button on the various websites and follow up by telephone if I do not get a response?

• johnnguyen714johnnguyen714 Member Posts: 46

@lil_owl said:
    So even though I had a email quote in writing including a base price and an out the door price stating very clearly by them the price included destination and NO accessories needed to be purchased (and in my portion no incentives) it was NOT honored. Not only did the car have accessories but they expected the financing to go through them also....so our agreed upon price for the EX went from 21,500 to 23,000. Needless to say we walked.

Which dealer is this? It is Spreen Honda?

No it was Sierra Honda.

Why is buying a Honda like pulling teeth? I'm getting sick of all the BS the Honda dealers are full of. Making another attempt to deal on a 2014 EX-L CVT for $27,300 OTD this evening.

@naazim

I am feeling your pain...it's like I have a full time job trying to claw my way out of a shark tank. I'm thinking of giving it a rest today while I compile more email addresses....give a few some time to reconsider my offer before I email them again as well as others. (This time I will be sure to include the words automatic and CVT as to avoid any additional "confusion").

@lil_owl said:
    naazim

I am feeling your pain...it's like I have a full time job trying to claw my way out of a shark tank. I'm thinking of giving it a rest today while I compile more email addresses....give a few some time to reconsider my offer before I email them again as well as others. (This time I will be sure to include the words automatic and CVT as to avoid any additional "confusion").

Same here. I been getting so much emails and calls lately. One dealer agree to offer me $1,800 off invoice but never confirm the price. He just said that is a reasonable offer and never really stated any price. He keeps insisting that I come down to the dealer and see him and he will get me a good deal. So I do plan on going there just to check it out for the heck of it. If he plays any game within the first 30 minutes, I will just walk. The dealer is only 10 minutes from my house so the worst that can happen is wasting 40 minutes. The next best offer I got was $22,875 from a dealer 30 minutes away (Norm Reeves Cerritos) so I will just go there if the first dealer doesn't work out. I am still waiting for a reply from Spreen Honda also. I have until the 31th to get the best possible deal. May I ask why you didn't buy from Spreen Honda?

• glenglen Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2013

CTR123,

Navy Federal Credit Union. I also got a snail mail from Travis Credit Union w/same deal/terms after I bought. These credit unions work cool. The Honda dealer said it was very smooth. The CU cuts you a check within 24hours, take it to a car dealer of your choice. Finance manager then calls 800 # for a code for the check. You are not locked to a car VIN, model, manufacturer.

I would take your 20,100 deal. IMO you have reached the point of diminutive return for effort! Is it the color you like? I could have saved a 100 or so but the car would have been silver. Wife didn't want another silver car.

@johnnguyen714

Just trying to get the best deal possible :) Spreen is still in the running!

@lil_owl said:
    johnnguyen714

Just trying to get the best deal possible :) Spreen is still in the running!

Yeah me too. I am emailing more dealers, because Spreen is over an hour drive from where I am located at. I still have 3 days so I hope I can get it at $1,800 or more off invoice. If not I will probably just go with Norm Reeves.

• onetwo3onetwo3 Member Posts: 5

Bought an EX yesterday.

Sale price about $1000 below invoice (just a few dollars shy of $1000)
    We also got flex cash and new grad discount, for an additional $1000. They applied that to our down payment.

No unexpected tricks. Got price by email. Went to dealer. Selected a color - we were undecided, and needed to see them in person side-by-side. Then we spent a couple hours getting it all done. We didn't send documents electronically, so we were starting from scratch with credit application, etc.

Trade was evaluated. We took it home, rather than accept their offer.

No hard-sale on warranty or extra things like paint protection. They were offered, but there wasn't any pressure or even more than a few sentences said about them.

Very happy at about $1000 under invoice (and another $1000 in extra discounts). It doesn't seem to be a very competitive market compared to some locations, but I'm satisfied with our purchase.

7.5 years ago, during last car purchase, I asked dealers for best price using internet contacts. They answered, I asked all of them to "beat the best price" and did that for a few rounds.

This time, after getting several emails with prices, I went and offered a much lower price, offering to "buy now" and was accepted by one dealer. The others told me "we already gave you our best pricing" or other such comments. But all it took was 1 dealer to save me $600. I liked this way better. I feel very good about it. Perhaps I left a couple hundred on the table. Perhaps not.

Shiny new Modern Steel Metallic Accord happily in the garage. :D

@johnnguyen714

Emailing you some information

@lil_owl said:
    johnnguyen714

Emailing you some information

Okay I saw it. I haven't received any email back from Staci yet. I rather not drive that far right now so I am patiently waiting for the reply. If I get a good reply I might use that quote when I try to get it from the Honda Dealer near me first. If they can't match or beat it, I will make the drive.

Glen,

Thank you. I am thinking of taking that offer. right now i am not getting the 0.9% deal even though iam recent graduate. I am looking for loan options right now. I had two color choices, my secondary color choice is there. Thanks so much for sharing valuable information. Have a good day. I will keep you posted.

carbuyer and lil,,

contact both dealers with and without your vehicle. Your working on getting the lowest price.

lil....if a dealer gives you a price you will accept finance the car thru him and pay off the honda loan next month when the bill comes. with you CU loan.. your interest is minamal at 1.9%.

If you finance the car thru any dealer ask then for some free bee's like

Oil changes or car washes when you return

free addded accessories

Paper pin stripe etc..

Make it work for you..

edited December 2013
    @brian125

I am unable to finance through the dealer.
  • vabeach3vabeach3 Member Posts: 7

I just bought a 2014 Accord EXL V6 sedan, no nav from Pohanka Honda in Salisbury MD this morning. 26,750 including 500 flex cash, 200 processing, 790 destination. Total drive out including Virginia TTL was 27,942. They threw in wheel locks. I figure the car price is about 1,800 below invoice+destination.
    By following the techniques listed on this forum over the past 3 months, the process was relatively painless. It was difficult to identify internet sales managers, so I just requested quotes thru dealership websites. Contacted about 30 dealers in southeast Virginia, Richmond, northern Virginia/Maryland, Raleigh/Durham NC, and Atlanta GA areas. Ended up with 4 Maryland dealers matching the same 26,740 price, and I picked the one that was closest and seemed the most interested in making the deal. I had several dealers tell me the price was too good to be true and they could not come close.
    Special thanks to all the posters and readers on this forum.

Vabeach

great job.. For future car buying what i do is take the time and call each dealersip ahead of time for name /number and email of internet manager. Now you have the option to email him a few days earlier to break the ice and tell him what your looking for and what price you are willing to pay.. or just shoot out calls and emails last 2days, last day of the month..

When your in the market for a new vehicle its very important to make yourself avail.. the last days of that month.

As we get closer to the 31th of dec you will see pricing like Vabeach recieved..

• txchihuahuatxchihuahua Member Posts: 4

I certainly hope they start making some deals I had what I thought was an aggressive but within reason otd price of 27000-27500 for a exl but area dealers are not budging. Their best price they're coming back with is 29000 wtf? No one is going to win at this rate. They won't make the sale and I am not going to get a new car. We will see how it goes on mon tues.

@brian125 said:
    Vabeach

As we get closer to the 31th of dec you will see pricing like Vabeach recieved..

• vabeach3vabeach3 Member Posts: 7

@brian125

I tried to call one or two dealerships to ask for the internet manager (as you had recommended in earlier posts), but ended up routed to a boiler room or internet underling, so I just gave up and clicked "request quote" on the dealer websites. Another downside of my method is that I definitely ran into several internet salespeople who were either unresponsive or took several days to respond. Some of that may have been due to Christmas vacation.

I have to work next week, so I targeted this weekend instead of the 30th/31st. For what it's worth, I didn't get the sense that salespeople were hungry for sales right now. I can confidently say that prices in southeastern Virginia are terrible i.e. at least 2,000 over Maryland prices, and they will not drop their prices. Most dealers still had flex cash.

• veersveers Member Posts: 81

Great deal vabeach.... You beat my price of $26,930. Your price of $26,750 is $1,800 under the $28,543 invoice price, that is a fantastic deal on a 2014.

Everyone, best bet is to get phone contact with a lot of internet managers on the 30th/31st. Make it clear you will buy today for $1800 under invoice, and tell them to call you when they can make the deal. It only takes one dealer who really needs a sale.

• pacarbuyer3pacarbuyer3 Member Posts: 2

Just bought a 2014 Accord EX-L (no nav, CVT). Price including destination of $790 came to $25,100. I think this is a decent deal.

@pacarbuyer3

I think that is a pretty good deal. Congrats!
  • wantadealwantadeal Member Posts: 5

PAcarbuyer3
    Ive been looking in PA and MD and the best OTD cost I've received is $26,166 of the same CVT AccordEXL.
    Who were you able to agree to the $25,100 or was that the price before Tax Tags and Title?

• pacarbuyer3pacarbuyer3 Member Posts: 2

That is the price before tax, tags, etc

edited December 2013

veers

and forum members

You're not going to get that kind of pricing in a lot of states.. 1800 below.. You could ask and re-adjust that number...... but if I ask for that price here in NY, NJ, CT, DE, PA. MA. RI, IL, OH, most dealers will let me hang up on them If you live or are willing to travel to VA you may recieve a similar price or get close to that number in MD or CA. Know your area's market; that's how you play the game and work your lowest deal. I guarantee you guys throwing out a 1800 below invoice number in the states I mentioned. will get you nowhere.

If you're not a good negotiator and have no clue how to work your emails and calls to the managers, you will not get this kind of pricing.

Ive been slaying dealers for over forty years across this country in pricing, piting one dealer against the next playing mind games, etc. My advice is Use common sense. Use this board to see your area's pricing and surrounding states to figure out your target price.

A good target price of 800 to 1500 below invoice PLUS INCENTIVES is the norm here in most states after adding the dealerships doc fee charge onto your asking price. Edmunds and educated buyers are the ones getting this price. Not the general public or uneducated buyer . Don't get fooled into thinking that if you ask for 1800 below you will get it.

Vabeach got a great price. Congrats and enjoy your new car! But isn't his price within the guidelines Brian suggests as more typical? Vabeach said the price was $26,750 including $500 flex, etc., so isn't the price $1300 under invoice plus the incentive after adding the doc fee, so if a dealership didn't have flex cash the target would have been $27,250? Just trying to see if I'm missing something.

Houston market for Hondas is a tough one. I feel like my deal is okay as I couldnt wait till 30/31st. This back and forth with dealers and getting no where was annoying the hell out of me. So I pulled the trigger and came home with a 2014 EX-L CVT for $27,500 OTD. The dealers in my area that I contacted, run out of flex cash, so that was out of the picture. I also got them to throw in window tint, trunk mat, wheel locks, and splash guards, I got these accessories for free, since I refused to pay for them and they were already on the car. I don't know if it was factored in on the dealers end but I didn't pay for them according to the price breakdown sheet. I'll post a complete break down of all the fees and everything later as I'm exhausted and my head is killing me.

• txchihuahuatxchihuahua Member Posts: 4

Brian, Wonderful advice for us that are uneducated. I buy a car once every 10 years or so. I read the entire forum for 2013-2014 and gleaned what I could from your and other posts. It was my mistake getting caught up in the hype during the "Super Bowl" of car buying. Thanks for your help :/

carbuyer, $1800 below with flex, or $1300 below before the flex is a great price. It's very tough to get that on the east coast. The best I could get in NY/NJ was $27,500 after flex, which is about $550 below invoice before flex, or $1050 below invoice after flex. To beat that you need the right market (MD, VA, or the right deal in CT), a lot of legwork, and a bit of luck.

Veers, thanks for that info. I am in precisely that market, so that information is very helpful for me. I would be thrilled with the deal vabeach got, but I'm not really inclined to go to MD to pick up a car, so I guess I will have to set my expectations a bit lower. So far I haven't even been able to get dealers to tell me if they have flex available. They just ignore the question.

carbuyer, I would try Huntington Honda. They won't quote you a price, but if you e-mail them a reasonable offer on the 30th, there is a good chance they will take it.

ATNN: @vabeach3

@vabeach3 said:
    I just bought a 2014 Accord EXL V6 sedan, no nav from Pohanka Honda in Salisbury MD this morning. 26,750 including 500 flex cash, 200 processing, 790 destination. Total drive out including Virginia TTL was 27,942. They threw in wheel locks. I figure the car price is about 1,800 below invoice+destination.
    By following the techniques listed on this forum over the past 3 months, the process was relatively painless. It was difficult to identify internet sales managers, so I just requested quotes thru dealership websites. Contacted about 30 dealers in southeast Virginia, Richmond, northern Virginia/Maryland, Raleigh/Durham NC, and Atlanta GA areas. Ended up with 4 Maryland dealers matching the same 26,740 price, and I picked the one that was closest and seemed the most interested in making the deal. I had several dealers tell me the price was too good to be true and they could not come close.
    Special thanks to all the posters and readers on this forum.

Hey, neighbor! NC, here!! Can you please share how far off the quotes were from each of the dealers in Raleigh, Cary and/or Durham, NC from the price you paid in MD? Please let me know either on the forum or via inbox. Thank you! (PS: There is no such place as Raleigh/Durham, NC)

@brian125 said:
    flatfeet

Your looking at 3400 below invoice. probably not be obtainable. dealers may go up to to 3k below invoice with a incentive plus taxes, tags , and doc fee charge. You want tax included in that 15k deal never never gonna happen..... Your 15k cash means nothing to them. dealers get paid whether you buy or finance the vehicle. If a dealer has many 2013 civic's on his lot you stand a better chance of getting a lower price..... with just a couple of civic's on dealers lots means pricing wont be as good.. Supply and demand.. Your best bet is to buy that 2013 model next year jan,2014. Now your buying a 1 year old model vehicle ................... your 3400 offer might be entertained.

Thanks for the input @brian125! I was hoping since Honda Corp was offering $3K incentives to their dealers this month, a $3400 below invoice price held a small window of chance to be accepted. Most dealers have plenty 13's Civics on their website with the exception of 1 smaller stealership that has 4. I considered Accords until learning they had CVT's. I wish Honda hadn't veered into the CVT tranny land. I put 1240 miles on a rented '13 Altima with CVT and that thing drove me crazy....especially going down steep hills. I really appreciate your help, Brian!

edited December 2013

carbuyer

you are correct with pricing when you said 1300 plus flex cash added is do-able. 1300 is in the range in some states right now. The beauty about vabeach's purchase was that flex cash.

I dont think anyone has posted a straight up 1500 below invoice price on a 2014??

My point was a straight 1800 below invoice might be near impossible.

veers could tell you about the markets up here in NY, NJ, etc..... not good.

Just to sum up pricing this month posters ...Veers and Va beach made accord purchases at

1100 and 1300 below invoice price. both found dealers with flex cash adding 500 to there already good deals. Use there pricing as a guide. if a dealer has no flex cash your deal might be in that 1000 to 1500 below bracket..

lets see what the next couple of days bears.