Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Worth it to fix this 2006 Jeep Liberty? Please read, I want your advice!

nobody14nobody14 Member Posts: 5
edited December 2013 in Jeep

This is the first Jeep I've ever had, so I don't have any experience with them. I need your help/experience! My '06 Liberty (Renegade, automatic) needs a new transmission and transfer case, as well as a water pump. Price is coming out to around $5500 to fix all of this. I absolutely love my Jeep and have only had minor problems in the 3 years I've owned it. Don't really know the history before I got it, but no accidents according to CarFax. It's not up to 75k miles yet - though very close.

So what would you do? It's paid for and I don't want a car payment. If I can fix it and everything is good after that, then to me, it's worth it. But if I spend this kind of money on it, and it doesn't last, I'm pretty much ... well, you know. I think I know what I'm going to do, but I want to find out what you think - and why.

Thank you and happy holidays!

Comments

• nobody14nobody14 Member Posts: 5

When I say 'needs', I mean NEEDS. It currently does nothing but rev and roll slightly forward. Which means I have no time to think about it. I am without transportation either until I fix it or buy a new car. This is terrible timing (not that it would ever be good...). Thanks!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2013

That's a lot of dough but your car doesn't have that many miles on it.

Have you gotten more than one quote? What's the repair on the warranty like?

Have you asked the dealer for some help since the miles are relatively low? Maybe Jeep or the dealer would kick in on the parts or something.

$5500 is around 13 to 18 months of a typical car payment. A clean one with those miles, no options other than the automatic, runs around $6,528 trade-in, $7,740 private party sale and $9,133 dealer retail for my zip code. So it's a bit close, but yeah, I think it's worth fixing. A cheaper price would make the decision easier though.

Another possibility it to trade it in as it on another Jeep. It won't be the same as your current Liberty but you may wind up loving a newer one too.

• willysjeepwillysjeep Member Posts: 107

Sir:
    I don't know your situation, but it may be possible for you to do some of this work yourself. Get a helper and all the tools that you can. Find out if any "special" tools are needed for the job. Otherwise, I'd think about another vehicle.