Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited December 2013

Any way of getting rid of the "Hyundai" vertical advertisement at the 3:00 position which blocks my bookmarks, etc.? Or, is it like trying to get rid of "My Discussions" ? :)

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@carnaught said:
    Any way of getting rid of the "Hyundai" vertical advertisement at the 3:00 position which blocks my bookmarks, etc.? Or, is it like trying to get rid of "My Discussions" :) ?

Marketing folks at work and won't be going away. However, it shouldn't be covering your forums tool box. Sounds like it could be a browser setting issue. For me, the ad glides on the far right of my window and isn't covering anything.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685

drafts test....If you don't see a 'My Drafts', it's probably because you don't have any. It looks like that shows up only while you're drafting a post. Once posted, no more draft.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

@texases said:
    drafts test....If you don't see a 'My Drafts', it's probably because you don't have any. It looks like that shows up only while you're drafting a post. Once posted, no more draft.

According to my tests, the "My Drafts" item only appears if you do a screen refresh which makes the auto-save function rather less useful. I would think it would make more sense to have the item show all the time in the box even of there are no drafts saved at any given moment.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    Marketing folks at work and won't be going away. However, it shouldn't be covering your forums tool box. Sounds like it could be a browser setting issue. For me, the ad glides on the far right of my window and isn't covering anything.

Thanks for the response. It's a problem on my pad and smartphones, rather than my desktop. Guess that's what I'm to deal with.

@carnaught : I see the offending ad is gone this morning!

@carnaught - I looked at it on my iPad last night. See what you mean now. :(

@ab348 - Ad is gone. Okay, but may be for the short term.

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    carnaught - I looked at it on my iPad last night. See what you mean now. :(

ab348 - Ad is gone. Okay, but may be for the short term.

I see it's gone; much better! Thanks.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited December 2013

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    carnaught - I looked at it on my iPad last night. See what you mean now. :(

ab348 - Ad is gone. Okay, but may be for the short term.

I've found that a linefeed is required between any quote and my reply, or else my reply gets included in the colored quoted zone.

I've found that a linefeed is required between any quote and my reply, or else my reply gets included in the colored quoted zone.
    The first iteration of that sentence was after a ">" symbol that was alone on a line with no typing after it but it filled the line, and there was no completely blank line after it, so my first response got included in original quoted material.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@imidazol97 said:
    I've found that a linefeed is required between any quote and my reply

Yes, I noticed that early on. Would be nice if there was an "end of quote" character, but my brain is trained now.

Also, the quote of something that was quoted just puts in the arrow with @imidazol197 said: and let's you copy and paste what it is you wanted to reply to. I guess this is a good thing as a quote of a quote of a quote etc. could lead to a really looong post (probably with an "I agree" at the end)

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited December 2013

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:I guess this is a good thing as a quote of a quote of a quote etc. could lead to a really looong post (probably with an "I agree" at the end)

That does happen on a number of other boards that I follow, and most of them are now superior to what we've got here.

That said, I'll still follow these boards, as I have for 13+ years. There are interesting people and interesting opinions, with a smattering of, well, the rest of it.

Happy 2014, all!

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287

"If it ain't broke, break it!!!" Way to take a perfectly fine format and turn it into a 4 year old's coloring book

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

Is it possible to put back the numbers by the posts. Every post should be numbered . Going back to find suggested posts is a nighmare. This should be a must

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

It's interesting that many of us have left comments as to what could be improved (and I fully support the post numbering, BTW), but there has been no response from Edmunds.

It's possible that what you see is what you get. Take it or leave it -- it's a pre-packaged piece of software.

Or not. Time will tell.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Oh we're listening and taking notes. The new platform isn't even 3 weeks old yet. Everything seems to be going smoothly in spite of another big site update that happened at the same time, not to mention we switched horses during the holidays when lots of people were gone.

edited January 2014

I keep noticing some new things added. Today there's a featured discussion on the forums.edmunds.com usual entry page. I log in on my Bookmarks page, but go back to the top line of bread crumbs and check the Forums link occasionally.

I agree there are some things I miss, but there are things I like. One is I can click on Recent Discussions and see other topics in which posts have been made. In the old forum, I had asked for a way to see some of the other topics beyond my Watched topics. I wanted to find other interesting topics, so I had to click on user names to see their recent posts in other topics or see the topic on Most Active list on the landing page.

I can click on participated and see the lineup of all discussions that I had read all lined up chronologically.

I do not understand the "Activity" item. I see posts in it among the awards for participation things sent to various members. When I am interested in one of those posts, I do not know from which discussion it came. I would like to see a line added that shows the source of the post I'm reading individually. There is a source line at the bottom of the posts if I go to the username to their profile, then click on comments for that user. BUT sometimes the item that I saw in Activity is NOT among the comments by that user.

E.g.,
    dvicary1
    anyone having the issue of their 2011 grand cherokee laredo shutting down completely

What exactly is the Activity link doing?

edited January 2014

Dvicary1 put that JGC shut down info in the Profile "about me" box. There's a Comment too, so the member probably thought they were posting in a discussion at first.

I'm not sure what's "good" about seeing the Activity logs. Seems like a bit of bloat there although skimming it sometimes tells you that a new member may be having trouble learning how to navigate the forum. But most people seem to figure it out before anyone can reach out to them.

Oh, there's been a featured discussion on the landing page for a while now but before it was always something related to the forum itself, not a car blurb. Actually there's 5 featured discussions now but only the most recent one gets top billing.

The Best Of... link offers discussions that also may interest you.

"Best of" and "Activity" seems rather pointless. I presume Best of is completely subjective? I'm unsure of the value of Popular Tags also.

There are some good things about this s/w, but also a lot of things that just seem odd.

edited January 2014

Best of is tied into the reactions somehow, so if a post gets a lot of Awesomes or Insightfuls it should get promoted to the Best of page. And the mods can promote stuff too.

Check out Graham's post from Mystery Car Pics that's currently near the top of the Best of page. Well worth the read. (link for when it rolls off the first page)

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

I see they have started to play with the site. Unfortunately..

Now when you click on the Notifications with the red icon saying how many new ones, and then click on one of them, it takes you to the newest post, but just the ONE at the top of the list. And it's the only one on the page, which requires a refresh if you want to see the previous "2, or 3, 4 etc" posts, also all new posts in their own right. But it doesn't always do this so you never know what you're gonna get.

Also, the 'back' I just discovered the other day using right click in a free white margin sometimes takes you back as intended and other times it takes you back, but also with a page that seems to recognize your username, but that you are not actually signed in since it suggests you sign in even tho you already are signed it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would appreciate a heads-up if they are peaking and tweaking, with a mention that if we see some unusual anomalies going on for the next 'x' number of days (like the Ford ad on the right that is sometimes there at the top forcing you to scroll down to the username box of options, and other times it's not there at all) to not necessarily think that it is a problem with our own browser or PC.

Maybe the trick is to let them peak and tweak till their hearts content, and come back in about 3 or 4 or 6 months when the dust has settled and you know what you're gonna get. The first week with this new site was great. It was predictable, fast and consistent. Now it has started to freeze when you click on something and I have deduced that that is probably right when they are making a change cuz when it does finally work, something different has happened again.

During the last platform change, it seemed like the peaking and tweaking went on for months. Well..nevermind 'seemed'..it DID go on for months and months and months. Is this now what to expect here this time around also? (Not a rhetorical question).

edited January 2014

@crkyolfrt, I don't think much of anything has been changed since the rollout.

The red notifications are listed one by one, so if you click the top one, you may miss an earlier one since it's probably lower down in the notification list. In other words, if there are 6 new CCBA posts, each will be in the notification list. I'd like to see that tweaked so the list automatically clears once you've read everything "new" but that's another issue.

I use "back" a lot and haven't seen that page load issue you mention.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    crkyolfrt, I don't think much of anything has been changed since the rollout.

The red notifications are listed one by one, so if you click the top one, you may miss an earlier one since it's probably lower down in the notification list. In other words, if there are 6 new CCBA posts, each will be in the notification list. ** I'd like to see that tweaked so the list automatically clears once you've read everything "new" but that's another issue.**

I use "back" a lot and haven't seen that page load issue you mention.

Yes, I know, but like say, sometimes you will click on it and you will get an entire page with maybe the last 3 or 4 posts all new, and other times you click on it there is just the one new post sitting at the top of the page with the entire rest of the page empty white.

The bold...I agree

Re the back and the other issue, so are you suggesting that it may be my browser or PC? But I have made no changes here and it has only been doing this for about the last 4 days or so.

5 min ago, I hit a back and this time it didn't even recognize my username as it looked like I wasn't signed in at all, so that is something brand new! And maybe they are working on it as we speak..but again...that is why a heads-up would be helpful so a person knows that the site may be running a bit 'off' cuz of them working on it.
    How do I take a screen shot and I can show you?

edited January 2014

Yeah, definitely sounds like it's your setup, LOLOL. Hitting your backspace or the back arrow key in any browser should take you to the previous page you were on, but of course there are exceptions. So maybe there's something with how the page is rendering for you that's messing something up. Or maybe there's something going on with the login.

Sometimes on other sites, I'll wind up on some cached ad page or something and the browser acts like it's not doing anything - you may be able to spot that by right-clicking on the back arrow button on your browser and eyeballing the URL list that should show up.

Screenshots - you can hit the PrtScr/SysRq button on your keyboard to grab a screenshot (you may have to tap it twice). Then open Paint and paste it there, save it and email it. Newer versions of Windows have a Snipping Tool that works a bit better - use your Start button or equivalent and just start typing Snipping and it should show up in the box and you can click it to run. There's a bunch of free and cheap snapshot tools out there that offer even more features.

Most rollouts happen on a week day since the main office mostly closes for weekends.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Why do some peoples vehicles show up under their names? I haven't figured that out yet.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

@suydam said:
    Why do some peoples vehicles show up under their names? I haven't figured that out yet.

If you mean at the bottom of their posts, then they are listing their owned vehicles as a 'signature'. If you wanted to do this, it's pretty easy to do..just go to profile preferences and hunt for signature options. Just remember to 'save' changes after.

• once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640

I think I am phasing out of using Edmunds forums. The participation rate has dropped off the last few years, and the quality of information in posts/replies isn't of useful nature.

I'm now spending my time on car specific forums, such as subaruforester.org, cmax, etc.

I do get good information regarding Edmund's new car reviews, pricing, and the car news section is good.

Anyway, best to all and thanks for the years of interaction.

John

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@crkyolfrt said:
    If you mean at the bottom of their posts, then they are listing their owned vehicles as a 'signature'. If you wanted to do this, it's pretty easy to do..just go to profile preferences and hunt for signature options. Just remember to 'save' changes after.

All sorts of new toys to play with here. I haven't decided on a "signature" just yet

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:
    All sorts of new toys to play with here. I haven't decided on a "signature" just yet

:thumb up:

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

I just spent a good deal of time in "My discussions" reading some of the topics I started many years ago. Saw a lot of familiar names and some very active discussions that lasted a long time before burning out as they seem to do.

These forums have lost a lot of very good contributors...too bad.

I'm just wondering if some of those old very active topics (not just mine) could somehow be reactivated. I think it just might give these forums a shot in the arm!

Probably all you need to do is post in them. That should get them on the Recent Discussions list unless they were marked closed for some reason.

With so many new people I suppose some of the "old" topics could be restarted. I don't think any of the ones I started got closed for any reason but like most forums they tend to just die out as the topic gets discussed to death. I'll see what I can do.

Just don't go looking for I Don't Like SUVs, Why Do You. :D:D

I just can't figure out how to do this? I thought I would start something in the "Classics" forums but I can't even find them! As far as SUV topics, I know better!

@isellhondas said:
    I just can't figure out how to do this? I thought I would start something in the "Classics" forums but I can't even find them! As far as SUV topics, I know better!

As far as I can tell, everything not brand-related is under the 'general' category. So I guess you click on 'Categories', then 'General', then look for the old discussion topic...

I'll try that. still not liking this new format...not at all and I've tried.

edited January 2014

Or you can click on the Forums link at the top and Browse Forums by Topic. Classic Cars is one of the topics listed.

Or, same place, hit the drop down arrow in the search box and start typing in the Tags box. Classic Cars will pop up that way too.

@isellhondas said:
    I'll try that. still not liking this new format...not at all and I've tried.

If these are discussions you've participated in, you should be able to find them in your Participated list. I personally have pages and pages there and looks like everything I either started or posted in as far back as 1997. :o

As Steve said, I think if you post a comment it will snap it to the Recent list.

Well, nothing got snapped to the Recent list but it did show up under My Discussions.

edited January 2014

Well, that's how I spotted Remembering how old cars REALLY were!. Maybe a refresh issue?

@isellhondas said:
    Well, nothing got snapped to the Recent list but it did show up under My Discussions.

Which discussion did you post to?

edited January 2014

Nevermind, it just "snapped" over! :)

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786

G'day

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but when I click on the "Best of" button, it throws and "Internal server error" as below. Is it just me?

Error 500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1205256519

Varnish cache server

Cheers

Graham

edited January 2014

Yep, it's been reported. Something's also wonky if you have a draft and try to delete it. Haven't heard if there's any site maintenance going on but I'm always the last to know. :)

And it looks like we're back to normal.

Occasionally, when I go to my "Bookmarks", it will tell me "9 new" posts, yet when I go there, only 2 posts are new, for example. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

@carnaught said:
    Occasionally, when I go to my "Bookmarks", it will tell me "9 new" posts, yet when I go there, only 2 posts are new, for example. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I've found over the last few days that when I think I've read all the posts in my bookmarked discussions, I can come back a day later and find stuff from a day or two previous I haven't seen before.

I wonder though if it is me - the old software would "repaginate" posts, so if there were 12 new posts in a discussion you would see them all on one page, whereas this software seems to not do that, meaning you need to be sure to look at the bottom of the page to see if there is another page with posts on it. I might not have been doing that.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199

Yeah..that got me a few times, too..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759

I tell you what, I really, really, liked the adaptable pages of the previous forum. If you tracked a thread and wanted to "view new posts," it would literally let you view the new posts. The top post on the page was the last "old" post from when you previously viewed the thread, followed by all new posts.

With this new format and, sadly, with most forums out there, pages are fixed and you have to just remember where you left off when attempting to read new posts.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2014

@xwesx said:
    With this new format and, sadly, with most forums out there, pages are fixed and you have to just remember where you left off when attempting to read new posts.

When I read using my Bookmarked or Participated topics, the new forum is taking me to the first new post. I.e., on this topic it showed me your post at the top of my page and showed anything below it.

Are you using Bookmarks?

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759

@imidazol97 said:

You're absolutely right. I had stopped clicking the title a long time ago, probably while it was still in "I don't remember you" mode, when it would always take you to the top of the very first page of the discussion. After that, I would click on the last page and navigate from there.

So, thanks! Very helpful for those popular discussions such as CCBA, where folks are not only CCBs, but also CFPs! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250