Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bogs down in the rain

joannahart50joannahart50 Member Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in Chevrolet

used seafoam and heat and premium gas. Runs great when it is dry. When it is wet I have to push the pedal up and down every 3 seconds to get a little bit of power, so I can get home. Had it checked out at the chevy dealership here local in Hayesville, NC. They say it is electrical. Any Ideas. Car was kept in a garage before I bought it about a month ago. Previous owner states no problems before. Replaced the fuel filter but since I realized it only did it when it rained I rulled out fuel filter and pump.

Comments

• joannahart50joannahart50 Member Posts: 3

This is a 2001 chevy tracker 4X4 utility sport edition.

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@joannahart50 said:
    used seafoam and heat and premium gas. Runs great when it is dry. When it is wet I have to push the pedal up and down every 3 seconds to get a little bit of power, so I can get home. Had it checked out at the chevy dealership here local in Hayesville, NC. They say it is electrical. Any Ideas. Car was kept in a garage before I bought it about a month ago. Previous owner states no problems before. Replaced the fuel filter but since I realized it only did it when it rained I rulled out fuel filter and pump.

Sounds like it may be time to change plug wires, also perhaps cover on coil pack(s) (if replaceable)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Could be what Ray80 says but could be lots of other things, too. If the Chevy dealer said it was "electrical" I wonder if they extracted a trouble code with their scan tool--it would be helpful to know what that code # was. It's certainly possible that you have a wonky electrical connector, or some corrosion therein, like in the throttle body.

• joannahart50joannahart50 Member Posts: 3

Thanks! Now I have somewhere to start. Appreciate the help. Will do all that you suggest and get back to you. Thanks again.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Instead of guessing and throwing parts at it, have a shop that knows what they are doing do a proper inspection. All we can do here is guess.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

There are some things that can be done to help isolate the problem. Judicious use of a garden-hose to 'wet-down' various components under hood while the engine is idling.. When the culprit is found, the engine will cut out.

Another approach is to open the hood at night while the engine is idling. Look for small electrical sparks around the high-voltage ignition system. If you see any sparking, there is a voltage-leak.

Hint: If your ignition wires are original, they are the FIRST place to look. I have seen old ignition-wires that will short-out when they get wet. You would be wise to simply replace them anyway. (They are over 10 years old)