Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited June 2013
    Was in my son David's BMW X1 yesterday. It is much quieter than our '13 Forester and my '09 WRX. I really appreciate that. Most cars today have decent power and handling, so I'm looking at other areas that enhance the driving/ownership experience.

I'm not wild about the X1's styling, but the more time I spend in David's car, the more I appreciate it. Like me, he's 5'9". I was sitting in the rear seat behind him, and I had plenty of legroom. It's considered a 5-seater, but I think sitting tree across in the rear would be uncomfortable for all. It's a great 4-seater, not so much as a 5-seater. Like other BMWs, and European cars in general, it had a very taut feeling about it.

Bob
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    edited June 2013
    (My daughter just got a Mazda3 hatchback. I didn't notice the noise when I test drove it.)

I didn't say the Mazda3 was noisy in fact I am totally happy with mine, I did say in terms of quietness it wasn't a Lexus. :)

Cheers Pat.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    so does anyone know what this car is? Two seater roadster RHD so almost certainly JDM. Clearly new but made to look retro and with an Italian sounding name which I forgot before I had the chance to google it. Ring any bells. I saw two in Vancouver last week.
    "Subaru parent company celebrates 60th birthday"- http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/18/subaru-60th-anniversary/
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Hi, haven't posted for a while. My question is are the 2014 Subaru's with manual transmissions still towable with all 4 wheels on the pavement? I know my '98 Outback with the 5 speed is towable.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Apparently yes, based on page 9-17 of the 2014 Outback owner's manual.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/71524/pdf/ownerManual/071524_2014_Legacy/MSA5M1- 404ASTIS_15.pdf
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The ‪#‎WashMe‬ contest is for you! Send us your best photo of your dirty car via +Instagram and you could win a Meguiar's detailing kit.

Follow us on Instagram: http://instagram.com/edmundsinc/

See Official Rules: http://edmu.in/rules
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Guess who is in the Edmunds Member Spotlight? :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Suzuki cappuccino.
    Cool, it's Bob...
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    BMW has introduced the 328d (diesel) in sedan and wagon versions. They also offer it with x-drive AWD. They claim 42 mpg highway but I didn't see a city rating.

The wagon lists for ~$42k or TWICE the price of my Impreza hatchback.

Sure hope Subaru is working to get their diesel over here. If VW mates the TDI w/4-motion it will surely attack Subaru's market share.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I doubt it on the US diesel, they would have done it years ago if it was easily possible to meet 50 state emissions.

Now, a diesel/hybrid, THAT would be interesting.

John
    S class will offer that. Good city and highway mileage.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    edited October 2013
    EPA estimates are (from fueleconomy.gov)
    * 328d xDrive sedan and wagon with 8-speed automatic: 31 city, 43 highway, 35 combined

The rear-wheel drive 328d is 32/45/37.

I've been waiting for this to get here, as I've been recommending it to an attorney friend who wanted a BMW but was concerned about mileage and snow in Connecticut.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    So if you spend $30,000 extra, you can save $5 a week in gas. ;)

Actually, diesel costs more so not really.

All you get is guilt-free luxury.
    Starting MSRP for the 328d xDrive is $40,600 - that's definitely high for a compact, but if you're in the market for a luxury car, then you're right - it's guilt-free luxury. Me personally, I'd go for a Chrysler 300 with AWD, the VM Motori 3.0L V6 diesel, and the ZF 8-speed... probably run about the same as the 328d xDrive with a little less posh and far more room.

If you're gonna get stupid, there's the BMW 535d xDrive for $58,900 - 3.0L I-6 TD, 256 hp, 26 city/37 highway/30 combined...

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    A Cruze diesel runs high 20s....that's close enough that I'd wait for a CPO Bimmer diesel, or go for a Passat TDI and pray that the Reliability Gods forgave me. :D
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Not sure if this has popped up anywhere yet

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/subaru-liberty-replacement-on-the-way-2013- 1112-2xdae.html

It also follows a story on the new WRX

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-subaru-wrx-leaked-20131112-2xd1r.html

Interesting developments for Subaru

Cheers

Graham
    WRX looks great. I liked the concept better but you knew they would keep the Impreza's green house, at least.

I hope the new Legacy tames down the fender flares a bit. Save those for the XV, Outback, and Forester.
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713

and so I found this one, too ... just trying to figure things out ...

@ladywclass said:
    and so I found this one, too ... just trying to figure things out ...

You can use the Tagged lists in the right margin to find "Subaru" which will bring you to all the Subaru discussions - you can then bookmark them by clicking the star icon and making it yellow. Then use the My Bookmarks, which behaves similarly to the old "My Watched Items" once you have saved discussions there.

Bet you didn't see this coming.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/a-subaru-powered-hybrid-truck-may-replace-the-us-armys-1490378762/@matthardigree

No word on displacement, but the diesel puts out 175 hp, which is more than the current 2.0 diesel. My guess is 2.5L or larger. This vehicle weighs almost 14,000 pounds!

Bob

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

Nice. Let me guess... the military isn't confined by it's own government's emissions regulations? LOL :'(

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Subaru Eye Sight

G'day

If I can ever persuade our daughter to finish her 120 hours of mandated pre-driving test hours, I intend to pass over the Toyota Kluger to her. It remains remarkably sound, although now nine years old and 230,000km.

I have started poking around for possible replacements and am looking at a Subaru Forester 2.5i S with CVT and the Eye Sight technology. Anyone got any great insights?

Cheers

Graham

edited January 2014

@grahampeters said:
    Subaru Eye Sight

G'day

If I can ever persuade our daughter to finish her 120 hours of mandated pre-driving test hours, I intend to pass over the Toyota Kluger to her. It remains remarkably sound, although now nine years old and 230,000km.

I have started poking around for possible replacements and am looking at a Subaru Forester 2.5i S with CVT and the Eye Sight technology. Anyone got any great insights?

Cheers

Graham

Graham, I've driven several Subarus with Eyesight (2 Outbacks and a Forester XT). I like the system a lot, although some of the nanny features (lane change warning in stop-and-go traffic) can be a bit annoying, but they can be disabled. I love the adaptive cruise control. If a car in front of you slows down, the Subaru will also slow down, so you don't have to constantly activate/deactivate the CC.

I thnk there is now a gen-2 Eyesight, which recognizes colors better.

Bob

@rsholland said:I thnk there is now a gen-2 Eyesight, which recognizes colors better.
    Bob

The version that we get in Australia is apparently the colour sensing version, described variously as Gen 2 or Gen 3 (the first generation not having made it out of the testing labs).

I rather like the idea. Whether I like it or not, I am getting older and the probability of inattention grows with age. The active safety features in my 2004 Toyota Kluger have been a massive improvement and its probably time to move onto the next generation of Active Safety. The implementation of Active Safety features and close policing saw our states road toll fall in 2013 to the lowest level since 1924. Given that the population ia about 10 times that of 90 years ago and there are probably fifty times the number of cars on the road, that is an improvement!

Not having taken a detailed look at a Subaru for a while, I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality improvements. Interior trims are much better, but the under-bonnet area was a revelation. First up the bonnet is aluminium and disconcertingly light. I took one look at the vertical mounted oil filter at the front of the engine and asked myself why no-one else had done that!. Likewise access to the accessories drive belt is an absolute breeze. Likewise the previously difficult access to the oil drain is now eased by a hole in the under-tray.

I spent about half an hour talking with a mechanic who moonlights as a concierge/greeter in the dealership at weekends and he was extremely helpful.He mentioned reduction in labour time and improved ease of maintenance of these latest generation engines. With chain timing belt and externally mounted water pump, he said there are now few reasons to open up the engine at all. However he did say that failures are almost all tied to failure to maintain or change fluids when scheduled. He particularly stressed the additives in the coolant as providing lubrication of seals..

I also queried the CVT transmission. Again he said that they have experienced no problems if fluid was changed regularly.

Really quite tempting

edited January 2014

@grahampeters said:
    Really quite tempting

I agree about the age thing. I really appreciate some of those features for that very reason.

Don't know how you feel about turbos, but the CVT in those models have the SI-Drive, which gives you 3 engine/transmission mapping mode choices. I like that.

Bob

G'day

Well I learnt today that Subaru Eyesight throws error messages and shuts down above 42C (108F). top temperature I saw was 49C or 120F. I had purposely decided to take test drive of a 2.5 CVT on a hot day to check out the air conditioning.

No eye sight meant that the key things I was looking at did not work.

Might try again when things are cooler.

Regards

Graham

Wow. Was that ambient temperature? That seems fairly unprecedented. If I experienced temps like that, I would be taking me and the car somewhere else in a hurry! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2014

@grahampeters said:
    G'day

Well I learnt today that Subaru Eyesight throws error messages and shuts down above 42C (108F). top temperature I saw was 49C or 120F. I had purposely decided to take test drive of a 2.5 CVT on a hot day to check out the air conditioning.

No eye sight meant that the key things I was looking at did not work.

Might try again when things are cooler.

Regards

Graham

Good grief Graham. You live in a furnace. That sounds like our Death Valley California!

Interesting tidbit about Eyesight though. Was that a Forester you drove? If so, how did you like it?

Bob

G'day

Very unusual weather! Today is fourth day forecast for over 41c but local anomalies make some sdpots much hjotter. Today is 44c. I am sleeping on the sdofa with air con on as bedroom too hot.

Liked the Forester but want to take another look when Eyesight is working. The CVT is excellent but I would want a little time with it

Cheers

Graham

G'day
    Unfortunately Melbourne gets occasional bursts of intense heat when a Northerly wind carries heat down from the huge deserts in central Australia. Climate change is making these events more commmon . it also makes the thunder storms which often follow them more intennse . we are due 44c today with major storms to follow. I take the view that it is good for business (I am an insurance assessor)

The temperature was consistently above 43c for some hours but there are parts of the city dramatically hotter especially in heat canyons

Cheerrs

Graham

@grahampeters said:
    some sdpots much hjotter. Today is 44c. I am sleeping on the sdofa with air con on as bedroom too hot.

I think the heat is getting to you, Graham! Your usually excellent spelling is taking a hit! I hope you can find a way to keep cool in the oven, sir!

-Wes-

edited January 2014

@grahampeters said:
    G'day

Very unusual weather! Today is fourth day forecast for over 41c but local anomalies make some sdpots much hjotter. Today is 44c. I am sleeping on the sdofa with air con on as bedroom too hot.

Liked the Forester but want to take another look when Eyesight is working. The CVT is excellent but I would want a little time with it

Cheers

Graham

Graham, do the Aussie-spec Foresters get paddle shifters on the CVTs? Here only the turbo models get that feature. The turbos also get SI-Drive, with three engine/CVT map modes and 6- or 8-steps for manual shifting.

Bob

edited January 2014

@rsholland said:

Graham, do the Aussie-spec Foresters get paddle shifters on the CVTs? Here only the turbo models get that feature. The turbos also get SI-Drive, with three engine/CVT map modes and 6- or 8-steps for manual shifting

Bob

Bob

The Aussie spec 2.5 CVT has paddles on the steering wheel and SI Drive with 6 steps. The Turbo gets SI Drive with three settings including Sports Sharp and 8 shift points. Given the heat issues here generally, I was not prepared to test the transmission out very hard but did try the difference between Sport and Intelligent modes. One aspect that I found a little different was the much stronger engine braking than a normal automatic transmission. I suspect that the transmission is at its best when used with cruise control.

I am tempted to borrow one for a weekend to try it withoout a salesman making embarressed noises about the Eyesight errors

I had thought about the Turbo engine, but really do not need or use that much power. I am usually trying for smooth and rapid progress with minimal fuel use. However, I was sitting next to a WRX in traffic this morning and was reminded how much I love the engine note.

Spelling errors are probably a combination of lack of sleep in this heat and being stiff from sleeping on the sofa; a remarkable number of folk are doing so and they all seem to have that hunched up look of cricked necks; my hips are telling me that I am too old for sleeping on hard surfaces; but I was cool.

Cheers

Graham

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@grahampeters, I read today that some category 2 cyclone was pushing heat your way. Apparently it's not the size of the storm that counts so much as its location.

We drove an hour in a light drizzle late this afternoon that luckily didn't really freeze, although I ran the defroster in the '97 Outback constantly. Coming back home 2 hours later, we hit snow for most of the drive and near whiteout the last 5 miles. I actually didn't get over-confident in the Subie for a change and hardly sped at all.

Turns out the GPS is real handy in the snowy dark for letting you know when a curve is approaching.

@grahampeters said:
    Graham

Our non-turbos don't get the paddle shifters or SI-Drive. :( Hope that changes next year.

Bob

G'day from extremely hot and bushfire prone Australia,

The Forester looks quite a good proposition. The engine braking is greater than for an auto but less than a manual, so just have to adapt a bit.

One thing which interests me is the likely timeframe for Subaru to update the FB25 engine to add Direct Injection. I know that it has been mooted for a while. Anyone know if it is close?

Cheers

Graham

edited January 2014

@grahampeters said:
    G'day from extremely hot and bushfire prone Australia,

The Forester looks quite a good proposition. The engine braking is greater than for an auto but less than a manual, so just have to adapt a bit.

One thing which interests me is the likely timeframe for Subaru to update the FB25 engine to add Direct Injection. I know that it has been mooted for a while. Anyone know if it is close?

Cheers

Graham

Hoping we'll see DI on the new Legacy and Outback this summer, but don't know for sure. I expect those cars to be introduced at NY show this spring.

Bob

Graham, hope the thunderstorms provide some respite from the HEAT.

We're approaching drought conditions here in Calif. Even washing my car hasn't brought the rain! There's barely enough snow in the sierras to ski.

@jfl said:
    Graham, hope the thunderstorms provide some respite from the HEAT.

We're approaching drought conditions here in Calif. Even washing my car hasn't brought the rain! There's barely enough snow in the sierras to ski.

Gee, it would be nice! Had a couple of brief bursts of hail but no sustained rain. However temperature has fallen from 44C (111F) to 24C (75F) in the city. Unfortunately it takes a little longer to cool the further you are from water.

Major bush-fires running throughout South Eastern Australia so may have a busy weekend.

My wife claims that Loss Adjusters are like Undertakers; reveling in the misfortunes of others!

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@grahampeters said:
    Spelling errors are probably a combination of lack of sleep in this heat and being stiff from
    sleeping on the sofa; a remarkable number of folk are doing so and they all seem to have that
    hunched up look of cricked necks; my hips are telling me that I am too old for sleeping on
    hard surfaces; but I was cool.

Out of curiosity - is central air conditioning in homes not the norm? Or is it like here where newer homes have it and unless it is retrofitted, older homes make due with window units?

• fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786

If 35 years in engineering development has taught me anything, it's to not be a technology early adopter (unless you want to be part of the learning curve). DI is great technology, but between reports of early fuel pump failure and carbon deposit formation, I was happy to buy my '14 Outback without it. 3 years from now? I'm sure it will be mature and great. I can wait....

edited January 2014

@fibber2 said:
    If 35 years in engineering development has taught me anything, it's to not be a technology early adopter (unless you want to be part of the learning curve). DI is great technology, but between reports of early fuel pump failure and carbon deposit formation, I was happy to buy my '14 Outback without it. 3 years from now? I'm sure it will be mature and great. I can wait....

Subaru has always been a conservative company. Rarely are they the first on the block with new technology. I think when they incorporate DI on their mainstream models the odds are it will be pretty well sorted out.

They are introducing an FA16 DIT as the base engine in the Levorg sport wagon in Japan. That engine could well replace the current FB25 at some point. The horsepower in Japanese spec is 168, which is in the FB25 neighborhood, but the torque is higher at 184 than the FB25. It also runs on regular gas, and is designed as a high gas mileage engine.

Here's a link:

http://www.gizmag.com/subaru-levorg-concept-car-tokyo/29933/

Thanks for the link Bob. I would have considered this if it were available, but I really enjoy driving my new Impreza.

edited February 2014

Okay, this... is... awesome! I could totally go for something like this. Not so much to scout out the route ahead as to just act as a third-person dash cam, but wow. This could be just so much fun! Well, until it is taken out by that low-hanging branch or power line!

BTW, I'm talking about the UAV, not the car. :p

@xwesx - didn't some 80's tv show have something like that in the car?

As long as the driver doesn't rear-end somebody as he's focused on the drone (but I guess his "Eyesight" system will prevent that.)

This would be great in the hands of a capable navigator giving the driver directions of the most efficient route.

Graham, what's happening in Australia for the auto industry to be pulling out en masse? This must be devastating for the economy, not to mention those directly involved.

Check out: " Toyota to end Australian production by 2017"- http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/10/toyota-australia-ceasing-production-2017/

Bob

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

I'll reply to you Bob. The auto Australian auto industry has been propped up in the recent years by their government in an effort to diversify it's economy away from an over reliance on mining. Now that a more conservative government is in place, those subsidies have gone away.

The Aussie auto market isn't very big and the strong Aussie dollar makes it expensive to export. Ford and GM announced they were closing their manufacturing plants and with that most of the support industry decided to leave. At this point it didn't make sense for Toyota to import a majority of their parts - hence they are leaving.

It's ironic that exports from America will be more profitable that making product locally.