Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• 11tybillion11tybillion Member Posts: 5

if someone wouldn't mind..i keep reading all these posts, and people keep mentioning trying to get 1000 + dollars off "invoice".

Is that the Factory Invoice + Destination fee? Or does "invoice" mean MSRP? Sorry, just really confused

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@carkhoj said:
    I made an offer of $27,000 OTD for accord ex-l sedan in NJ to several dealers. No one is ready to sell me at that price. Is my offer too aggressive? I can wait till the end of this month. Suggestions?

This is in Ohio, but I just helped a friend buy a '14 EX-L Navigation. IIRC, MSRP was right around $31K, maybe a hair under.

We put together a one sheet offer. $27K which included doc fees, tinting windows (3M tint) and Accord winter mats. We added in our local tax and license fees to the $27K.

We presented the sheet to the sales person after a test drive, and told him it was a one time offer. He took it to his sales manager, who came out and asked if we were buying "today". We told him we were.

He tried to "bump" us $1,000, at which time we shook his hand and thanked him for his time, and instructed him it was a one time offer and we were going to present the offer to the next nearest dealership. We began to leave the dealership. He immeidately asked us to stop and said we had a deal if my friend was willing to take the car home that day and return later for the tint.

We agreed.

We were in and out in a little over an hour from the time we walked in, until we drove off their lot.

We had no trade. Cash deal.

I think this took place January 4th.

Different areas, different dealers will yield different results. Personally, I try to keep every deal as local as possible. And, have all my deal's details already pritned out to present before I walk in to a dealership.

Getting a deal (a GOOD deal) on the phone I've found next to impossible. You have to be in their dealership, ready to make a deal, and be willing to move on to the next dealership if you can't.

The longer you're negotiating, the more you're going to be bumped (up).

Hope that helps.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ha14ha14 Member Posts: 3

11tybillion:
    Invoice is different from MSRP. MSRP is the "suggest retail price" and invoice is the price the dealer paid to the manufacturer. Sometimes the dealer sells the car off invoice (losing money) because they get holdback and incentive from the manufacturer so they actually make money. The folks in this forum are trying to make the dealer "lose" as much money as possible by buying the car $1000 or more below invoice.

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited January 2014

11tybillion

Msrp.............................. Full price from factory

Dealers invoice price.... There cost to buy vehicle

Dest/ charge................... Price all consumers pay on top of agreed sale price of vehicle.

With dealer hold- backs, and manufactorer to dealer incentives and rebates alot of vehicles can be bought below dealer invoice price.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• carkhojcarkhoj Member Posts: 13

@graphicguy - Thanks.
    I will visit dealerships around this month end. As NJ market is very tight, I probably might have to go out of state to get a good deal. I am a bit skeptical about driving down to neighboring states. Will see what happens in next few days.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@carkhoj said:
    graphicguy - Thanks.
    I will visit dealerships around this month end. As NJ market is very tight, I probably might have to go out of state to get a good deal. I am a bit skeptical about driving down to neighboring states. Will see what happens in next few days.

Good luck. Report back when you get a chance.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249

Invoice is the price manufacturers attach to each vehicle which is a general amount each dealer pays to the manufacturer for the vehicle. However, there are several considerations with respect to that invoice.

First both manufacturers and dealers understand the majority of buyers have access to the internet. They know those buyers will not buy at MSRP and they know those buyers research prices actually paid. Therefore, the manufacturers have considered this when the establish the so-called dealer invoice. The manufacturers provide dealers several profit avenues which make the invoice somewhat deceptive.

For example, most manufacturers provide a dealer holdback for each vehicle. This differs by manufacturer but is usually 2 to 3 percent of MSRP. If, as an example, the MSRP was $30,000 and the holdback was 2 percent, the dealer would receive $600 which would lower the invoice price.

Another example is a stair-step incentive. Typically these are provided by the manufacturer for sales over a specific number over a specific time. For example, a manufacturer may offer a dealer a stair-step incentive of $1,000 for each vehicle if the dealer sells a certain number in a given month. This will, of course, further reduce the invoice price to the dealer. This type of incentive is very hard to discover. They can, however, make shopping at the end of the month or end of the quarter very lucrative for a buyer.

Also, dealers often receive a flat dealer incentive from the manufacturer. This can be a flat amount such as $2,500 or a percentage.

In any case, almost any dealer can sell at invoice or lower and still make a nice profit.

Edmunds has information for holdback and dealer incentives for each manufacturer on this web-site.

IMHO, the best method to develop a starting point for price negotiations is to start at invoice and reduce by the holdback and incentives, both those given to the dealer and to the customer. Start at that amount and wait for the dealer's response. If they counter close to your price you can safely assume there is a stair-step type incentive lurking behind the scenes. If the dealer responds with a price which is near invoice, continue to negotiate moving up from your price in small increments, say $250.

However, if the dealer counters with a price closer to MSRP, might be time to walk to another dealer. A buyer will often not get the dealer's best price until they make a move toward the door. The last thing a dealer wants to see the the back of the buyer walking out the door.

The truth is all dealers really can sell at the same price. Each, however, have different profit structures so very different pricing can be found in an area at any given time. The trick is to find the dealers with profit objectives closest to your pricing goals.

• ha14ha14 Member Posts: 3

Ken117: Very well explained. You must have been a dealer. Thanks.

• 1sebringnow1sebringnow Member Posts: 136

This is a warning about TRUECAR and all the wannabe sites which seek to extract money out of the car buying public. Please note. All comments posted are simply opinions. I just received another email this morning from a website called realcartips.com which has some fairly good information about purchasing cars - however, front and center on it was a link to go directly to TRUECAR.com - which is the greatest ripoff site for a car buyer. If you do use TRUECAR bewarned, the site no longer includes the prices which come from the high volume dealers in any area - which dramatically increases the purchase price of the cars shown on their website. They can be as much as $2500 under what is being shown as a "great value"! Additionally, TRUECAR get $300 bucks for each car it sells. So don't use them to buy a car - negotiate down the price listed by going directly to the internet managers of multiple sites and get their best price that way. Also by pass the CARS.com, real car tips website, or any website which will "email internet managers" all at once - because these friendly sites are getting your money by just simply having a transfer feature to another website. ITS YOUR MONEY - You keep it :) Happy New Year.

edited January 2014

True car, Costco, Carwoo, Realcartips. these are good starting points on price. The real negotiating are done at months end thru the internet managers or at the dealerships.

On Nov, 28. I bought a 2013 Genesis R-spec sedan. msrp was 48,400. the best price i found was 39.1k.. members on the genesis boards with good deals were at 41k and 40k. When i used true car as a pricing guide here in NY and S.C. I found pricing very different here in New York.

3 dealers posted prices to sell at 40k , 38.9k and i found one dealer willing to sell at 38.3k.

My target price to buy was 38.5k to 39k at months end. i was willing to pay 39.5 if i had to.

Truecar did help me find the best deal. I tried to get 10 dealers to match but nobody was close.

My deal was 20% off of the msrp.

I will close by saying Truecar for the most part should be a starting point to check out pricing. maybe i was very lucky......... Or a car of this nature is not in high demand. Most of the dealerships had very few R-spec;s if any on there lots..

• 1sebringnow1sebringnow Member Posts: 136

Hey Brian125, you have a very good story - and as I indicated in my post, I was giving an opinion - or warning. Edmunds has a very good website (allowing us to post these opinions) and is a viable alternative to TRUECAR. After reading an article in an autotrade publication and getting direct quotes from the TRUECAR CEO - it was apparent that greed was a priority at RIPOFF car (TRUECAR) in its decision to no longer include the low cost high volume dealers in its "pricing charts". It was deliberate as the whole article was dedicated to let dealers know that TRUECAR was tilted to them (so they could get their grubby hands on $300 bucks per transaction). The article started out on how ticked off some dealers were that TRUECAR was showing the real prices for a period of time - and in order to earn their trust, TRUECAR backed off including them. Personally, I'd rather see hard working folks keep their $300 plus dollars instead of giving it to the purveyor of not completely true information. My hope is when you bought your car, TRUE CAR was not part of the negotiation and you were able to by pass them and they did not get their grubby hands on the $300 dollars they want to earn by deceiving (my humble opinion of course. Enjoy your new car!

edited January 2014

I know the majority of members are buying Accords in this forum like we preach hear. Only a few posters asked in this forum about true car pricing. True car is a non factor in this forum... I think anyone who stumbles on this Accord site and applies how and when to buy like is suggested does better than doing it there way.

The best way to get to your target price is......

Bringing in as many dealerships your willing to travel to into the mix and buying at month's end with your target price to buy that day.. Negotiating online first via email and direct phone calls speaking to each internet mgr.............. Is how you make your best deal..

• peterpeter Member Posts: 1

Has anyone had any buying experiences with a 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid? What prices are you seeing in the marketplace?

Most people are getting prices close to Msrp on this model.. If you want a early hybrid model you may have to pay close to sticker. As the months roll by and you find more hybrids on lots is when you may save a few more dollars.

Compare the 4cyl to the hybrid in terms of mpg and pricing. Non hybrid model= 1k plus below invoice is where your pricing is right know.. opposed to almost full sticker..

Going with the hybrid model and paying top dollar opposed to the 4cyl model and saving about 3500 to 4000 less would probably take you 3 yrs to recoup that money gas wise.

What gas numbers are we looking at for a Accord hybrid

• gthevergthever Member Posts: 3

Finally purchased the 2014 Accord EX CVT yesterday from Sloane Honda in Northeast Philadelphia. Price was $24,000.00 out of the door.

Selling price was $23,374.
    Taxes at $1402 (PA at 6%)
    TTL including $130.00 document fee -- $224
    $500.00 Flex Cash
    $500.00 Recent Graduate discount.

Great experience with this dealership and previously purchased a 2006 Accord LX SE from them.

• j90606j90606 Member Posts: 23
    Hi all recieved a quote for 2013 Accord LX CVT sedan in So Cal. Quoted price is $20074 before,tax, title etc. is this a good price? Can i get them to lower the quote? Should I be looking for a 2014 if so what is a good price to pay? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27

Which dealer offered you that price? I live in So Cal., and the lowest I've received so far is $20, 561.

• erikkurerikkur Member Posts: 4

Hello, I am in Southern Maine and looking for a good deal on a 14 EX-L with no extras. Where might be a good place? Thanks.
    Erik

edited January 2014

Erik,

Make alist of dealers to call in your area and compare to dealerships in M.A. It might be worth the car ride or one way bus to further dealership.

Your target price to buy should be 500 to 1500 below dealers invoice price on any model you choose. Try to buy closer to the very end of any month..

Any rebates and Incentives are added onto your deal after the agreed selling price. Read thru previous boards for dealers outside of Boston area with good pricing.. .

• nanunemnanunem Member Posts: 8

Hi
    I am in Houston, TX and have the following best quote as of now for a Honda Accord LX CVT 4dr. Please help me understand if this is a good purchase price or not.
    MSRP: $23,545.00
    Sales Price (including destination): $20,769.00
    TTL: $1624.26
    Total drive out: $22,393.26

Thanks!

nanunem

Invoice w dest charge = 21,619. This puts you at 850 below invoice on the LX cvt model.

I would call more dealerships to see if flex cash of 500 is being offered then have the flex cash dealership match or best your offer of 850 below invoice.

Thanks! Quick question - How did you reach to the 'invoice w dest charge' amount?

Edmunds, kbb.com, Nada pricing. . Try nada web page i find it to be quicker than edmunds.

• freshstartfreshstart Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2014

I live in the socal area. (San Bernardino/Riverside) I am looking to get a 2014 Accord Sport. Truecars.com gave me offers for $22,220+ttl. Is it possible to get a dealer to go down to $21k+ttl? What is the best quote/deal anyone has gotten for an Accord Sport 14' in the Socal area. And no I don't qualified for military or graduate program. Any help will be appreciated. Please include dealer/city and perhaps name of salesperson. Thanks

edited January 2014

Thanks Brian! So I am actually in a dilemma, I just got another deal but that is for a used Accord 2013 LX CVT with 12k miles for $19000 OTD from a Lexus dealer. Which one sounds better, going with the used car or spending at least $2.5k-3k extra to get a brand new one, considering I wont be keeping the car for more than 3-4 years?
    Thanks for the help folks.

nan

please provide us with the selling price of the 2013 cvt lx accord without taxes.. Just selling price.

edited January 2014

Radar,

A 2013 accord cvt lx model with 4,000 demo miles.. this is a 1 year old model. invoice price was 20,579.

A fair price is 3000 off this number plus flex cash if dealer has to offer. any price under 3k walk away its not worth the sale. A new 2014 model could be had a 1k below invoice.

Im................. me and we could discuss this further...

The selling price for the 2013 accord is $17,599 and it has 12k miles on it and the carfax says it was actually sold on 12/31/2012.
    Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

Please help launch our new Facebook tab and be one of the first to share your car shopping experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jjm14jjm14 Member Posts: 6

Question - many on here have said "$X" under invoice is the holy grail/sweet spot in terms of attractive pricing.

Does this include invoice base+destination or just invoice base: i.e. 2014 Accord LX auto

Base $20,829
    Destination 790
    Total base $21,619

Should the starting point be the $20,829 or $21,619 (inclusive of destination)?

Thanks!

when you negotiate a price always include the dest/ charge with your offer .. this will create less price confusion between you and dealerships.

Hi, need help on a 2013 used Honda Accord LX. It has 12k miles and the carfax says the buying date was 12/31/12.
    The selling price is $17,599 excluding TTL. Is it a good deal to hop on against a new 2014 which will be around $3k higher?
  • helloellenhelloellen Member Posts: 8

Hello,
    I just got an internet quote for 2014 HONDA ACCORD LX SEDAN AUTO today, the OTD price is 21,389, I also confirmed with them for additional $600 discount (100 for AAA, 500 for graduate within 2 yrs), therefore the final OTD will be $20,789. see detail below. Is it a good deal ?

E-COMMERCE PRICE: $18,385
    FREIGHT/DESTINATION: $790
    ACCESSORIES:
    1 SPLASH GUARDS $299
    2 WHEEL LOCKS $199
    3 $0
    4 $0

TAXES: $1,192.32
    TAGS: $325
    PROCESSING FEES: $199

You Pay Only ( TOTAL ): $21,389

edited January 2014

nan,

Plan on keeping this car 7 yrs or more. get dealer to give you his bottom line price then decide .. If you cant afford a new one buy the used 2013. Like i posted to you this vehicle is considered a yr old model. makes no difference being sold in 2012 or june of 2013 if this car is stolen or totaled you will get the value of a 1 yr accord w/ 12 k miles on it.

If i was buying this vehicle my target price to buy would be high and low 4k and going no lower than 3500 off 2013 invoice price.. ... That is a good deal.

Any price above 17k for this vehicle i would not except i would buy a 2014 model for 1k to 1500 below invoice and now have a brand new car for a couple of thousand more.

Invoice price on last yrs model was..........$20,579

• radar007radar007 Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2014

Just received this email for those of you who are near VA. I may consider taking a trip there to get my new Accord!!

Are you tired of dealers in the DC metro sending out confusing price quotes? Would you like to buy a new Honda with NO surprises? This weekend only at Hendrick Honda Woodbridge, we are taking the guesswork out of buying a new Honda. The pricing below INCLUDES ALL TAXES, TAGS, FEES, EVERYTHING. THEY ARE TRULY OUT THE DOOR, BOTTOM LINE PRICES. You do NOT have to be active military OR a recent college graduate to receive this pricing. If you happen to be, YOUR PRICE WILL BE EVEN LOWER! They are so low, we can't advertise them. You'll only see them in THIS EMAIL!

Our Honda pricing also INCLUDES:

FREE LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY(valid anywhere in the country, as long as you own your vehicle. PLUS, you are NOT required to perform your maintenance with us). FREE VA INSPECTIONS FOR LIFE PROTECTION PACKAGE INCLUDING: splash guards, door edge guards, wheel locks, tire nitrogen, and trunk tray(EX-L and above).

2013 Honda Civic LX Automatic(2 or 4 door): $16,998 OUT THE DOOR! 2013 Honda Civic EX Automatic(2 or 4 door): $18,898 OUT THE DOOR! 2013 Honda Fit Sport Automatic: $17,488 OUT THE DOOR!

2014 Honda Accord LX Automatic: $21,590 OUT THE DOOR! 2014 Honda CRV LX AWD: $23,520 OUT THE DOOR!

If you didn't see your vehicle of choice in this list, reply to this email for an out the door price and we will be happy to send it to you, time permitting.

This pricing is STRICTLY valid ONLY through Sunday January 26th. Do not miss this opportunity to enjoy a fast, smooth car buying experience with NO surprises.

See you soon!

Luke Internet Director |

Hendrick Honda Woodbridge |

Radar

way to go .............above post is great for people near this area. It does pay to take a trip to save $

Just to be on the safe side. make sure the dealership faxes you the bill of sale with your model, vin #, and the complete price breakdown .. Once you look over paperwork sign it have dealer sign, then you could leave a credit card deposit.. does not get any easier than this

If you are close by to this dealer make your local dealership match or beat his price at months end.. If they wont give Hendrick Honda your business and keep that extra money in your pocket.. You wont regret it..

HELLOELLEN

Your quote of $19,175 (base plus destination) for a 2014 LX - is 2,500 under invoice - that seems like a great deal.

What dealership/state?

Question -- Received an internet quote from AutoSport in NJ $19,555 (which does not include destination -- add another $790, so $20,345). This is $500 under invoice.

Anyone know if a better deal can be gotten -- located in NJ.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768

Attention:

Dealership personnel last names, phone numbers, email addresses and other contact information are not permitted in the forums and will be removed.

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm in Baltimore MD.
    edited January 2014

jjm14

Auto-sport pricing will be between 500 and 1000 below dealers invoice. If you buy the last 2 days ,last day of this month you will have the best chance to buy your model at 1k below invoice price.

Dealer must have vehicle in stock or they may not sell near 1k below...

I will suggest you call George.. Internet mgr. at Auto-sport on Jan,30th. Tell him you will buy on that day for 1k below. Make a list of 10 to 15 dealerships in the NY/Nj area and do the same. You will find a dealer willing to sell.

Jan, has been a horrible month here in the Northeast for car sales. Let all these dealers sell there products to the uneducated buyers through the month making deals at there price.

End of the month is when you will meet your target price.

NY dealers to contact

New Rochelle

Yonkers

Atlantic

Huntington

Bayridge.............dealer is hit or miss at times.

S.I. Honda...........worth a call dont expect much

helloellen Posts: 7

January 24

Hello, I just got an internet quote for 2014 HONDA ACCORD LX SEDAN AUTO today, the OTD price is 21,389, I also confirmed with them for additional $600 discount (100 for AAA, 500 for graduate within 2 yrs), therefore the final OTD will be $20,789. see detail below. Is it a good deal ?

E-COMMERCE PRICE: $18,385
    FREIGHT/DESTINATION: $790
    ACCESSORIES:
    1 SPLASH GUARDS $299
    2 WHEEL LOCKS $199
    3 $0
    4 $0

TAXES: $1,192.32 TAGS: $325
    PROCESSING FEES: $199

You Pay Only ( TOTAL ): $21,389

Tell that dealer you want the same car without splash guards and wheel locks and you will make the deal.

Splash guards are 65 dollars bought online

wheel locks cost dealer about 20 dollars you could buy online for 30 dollars.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    edited January 2014

2013 Leftovers

There's a dealer in Shelton, CT (Curtiss Ryan Honda) that's advertising they have (9) 2013 Accords in stock (as well as 40 Civics, 10 Fits, 2 CRVs, an Insight, & a Ridgeline). It does say in the ad "no reasonable offer refused." I guess the dealer's definition of reasonable & the shopper's definition of reasonable are 2 different things. Not sure what their conveyance fee (fancy CT word for doc fee) is, but they might be worth a phone call.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks Brian, I'll post once I have the final quote.
  • mike_smithmike_smith Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2014

I am in the Los Angeles market for a 2014 Honda Accord EX-L V6. I have been contacting all the dealers in a 50 mile radius in an attempt to get pricing now that it is towards the end of the month. I need to know if the pricing i am getting is good and has any further room for negotiations (i think there is)

2014 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (without Navigation)

Base Retail Price (MSRP) $30,345
    Total Invoice : $28,540 (including destination)

OTD based on Invoice Price and TTL/Fees in Los Angeles : $31,500

Pricing i have received is typically in the range of

Base Price : $27,400 - $27,700 (destination included) -- Comes to about 1100 to 800 below invoice price.

TTL and Fees in Los Angeles amount to about 10.3% of the Base Price.
    OTD based on pricing received is in range of : $30,200 to $30,500

I have been negotiating based on the OTD Price since i don't want any confusion and i don't want any other unknown accessories being added etc that i will know at the dealership.

Are these good offers ?? I know i can wait till the last day of the month and call around 15 dealerships trying to negotiate with them further, However i wanted to get some feedback on the pricing and how low i should try to negotiate on the last day.

I would much appreciate any feedback..

Thank you

Thanks Brian for your suggestion. I went to the dealer today, but was told that the price has already included all incentives.... After a few hours of negotiation I got the final OTD price 21k. finance 20k with 0.9%APR for 60 months. Not my initial expectation but good though.
  • dcanes41dcanes41 Member Posts: 15

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the board and really appreciate everyone's comments.

I have a question/dilemma:

My lease is up on my 2011 Accord EX-L. I currently have 22,300 miles and my residual is $16,100. I thought I had some equity within but according to the dealership, I do not. With the low mileage and the great condition it is in, I was thinking of just taking a loan out to own. Currently our credit union has a 60 month at 2.49% or up to 84 months at 2.99%.

My other option is to lease a new 2014 Accord but would need to drop down to an EX from an EX-L since the lease payments are too high. I was paying $290.01 a month OTD on the 2011 EX-L but the best offer they can give me on a 2014 EX-L was $350/month OTD.

So after going back and forth with the salesman and sales manager, they offered me the following on a EX:

$268/month for 35 months (includes tax)

Purchase Price:$22,900
    Residual: $15,600

Accessories Included:
    Car Mats
    Mud Guards
    Remote Engine Start System II (Installed)

They did mention they included any flex cash they had left since we are close to the end of the month. I would need to come up with the first payment of $268.00 + Title transfer/tags (Guesstimate an additional $170.00). So total due would be $438.00.

Is this a good deal? Should I purchase the 2011 EX-L that is coming off the lease I have or is the EX they are offering a good deal?

The state I am in is Pennsylvania.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you....

dcannes,

I cant help you with your finance's,and what chocie to make but will coment on your situation.

Going from a 2011 accord exl to 2014 ex model is two different worlds in terms of ride, gas mileage, and upgraded safety features etc..You will not be disappointed.

Your 350 lease quote is a little high for that model. you need to bring more dealerships into the mix and buy at months end for best possible price..

There are 2 ways you could check out lease pricing to make sure dealership is not ripping you off..

Go to

Accord leasing forum and ask Carman for the residual , Money factor, cap cost etc. for your model , yrs, and mileage you want to lease.

Go to Weymouth honda web site and use there online caculator for leasing on your model.. use there pricing guide to make other dealerships in your area match or beat. Weymouth leasing numbers are very close if not correct on leasing.

If you want to buy your Accord outright i'm sure dealer will go lower on used sale price if you make him a offer thats not out of the ball park.

Check out Penn fed credit union they have better rates than your credit union.