Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BRAKE PROBLEMS

bobbyr549bobbyr549 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Ford

Have replaced power booster, , master cylinder and pads pedal still is soft one time goes almost to the floor the next and still leaks down at traffic light.
HELP

Comments

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited January 2014

If it is not physically losing fluid... the problem MUST be the master-cylinder. If you installed a rebuilt one...it is VERY possible it was bad out of the box. (There is always a warantee on replacement parts so it is covered.)

HINT: Many 'rebuilt' parts are very inexpensive (compared to new ones) This is because the rebuilding process is not very good. Instead, they apply a VERY good warantee.because they know the rebuilding process is crap. This is ESPECIALLY true for rebuilt alternators.

I learned this lesson the hard way by purchasing rebuilt alternator that had LIFETIME warantee..... it had to be replaced at least 5 times before I found a good one. I may have saved some money on the part... but I spent WAYYY too many hours removing/ replacing and taking back to Autozone.

• Options
    bobbyr549bobbyr549 Member Posts: 2

Thanks you are right but the first one was Motorcraft and the second was rebuilt, both could be bad?

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

@bobbyr549 said:
    Thanks you are right but the first one was Motorcraft and the second was rebuilt, both could be bad?

Then it must be how the system was bled. There might still be air in there, or proper procedure on bleeding ABS brakes was not followed ??

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

I still contend that if it is not losing fluid and the pedal truly "leaks down" at a stoplight.... no amount of bleeding will fix a sinking pedal. The problem an internal leak in the master-cylinder.

It is unlikely that both were bad... so I ask again - Are your certain is is not losing fluid? (which is the ONLY other way the pedal would slowly sink to the floor )