Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

1101112131416»

Comments

• mugsismemugsisme Member Posts: 4
    So, how do I tell what fix I need? On my passenger auto door, it opens and closes fine if you pull on the handle. If you press the button on the fob, it tries to close and then stops right away, and it wont open with the button either. Thanks.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    edited August 2013
    that is probably the actuator. I paid about $100 for mine and it took about 3 hours being very deliberate.

I actually have a second one since there was a nick in the first one I bought so they sent another for free. I was kind of saving it in case it happens again, but we will probably sell the van in the next few months.
  • mugsismemugsisme Member Posts: 4
    so, the instructions above from Bensons dont apply to the actuator?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    See post #321 as mentioned above.
  • kvnimrlskvnimrls Member Posts: 2
    if you do sell the van, please let me know if i can have the extra actuator.

appreciated,
    kevin
    kvnimrls@yahoo.com
  • klr1962klr1962 Member Posts: 1
    How did you fix it
  • chuckman4112chuckman4112 Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend has a 2009 Sienna with power sliding doors. She is having an issue with the passenger sliding door. She said she was driving and noticed the door open light was on, pulled over and closed it. After re-closing it light went off. Later, while she was driving, the door opened all the way by itself.

The door seems to function, (opening and closing with all switches, remote and manually) but I have noticed something odd that the passenger door is doing that the drivers side is not doing. When the door closes, you can hear, and see, the rear latch engage, but about 1-2 seconds later, you hear the latch again, and the door pops out ever so slightly. The other odd part of this is that when it first latches, the door is actually pulled in beyond the body line of the rear quarter. It's almost like it is pulling the door in to far. After the 1-2 second delay, and you hear the latch again, the door pops out a little, but at this point, the door is now in perfect line with the quarter panel like it should be. I tried pushing from the inside, and prying from the outside to teat the latch, but the door does not move.

I'm sure this is not normal, (as the drivers side does not do this) and now we don't know if it is going to fly open again at some point or if it is truly latched. Have you heard or seen this before? Any suggestions on what might be causing the the rear latch to disengage slightly?

Thanks
  • gameengineergameengineer Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Awesome! Your post is old but relevant. My wife's car (2006 Sienna LE) just started showing this problem. Opening or closing the sliding door works via door handles (manual unlatching) but using any button, ie FOB, interior buttons, (motor assist unlatching) does not work. Door lurches but is still latched so it fails to open. Door lock release motor acts like it is toast.

Your part number is still valid today. I called local Toyota dealer who quoted same part (85620-08061) at $149 while the same part at Toyotapart.com (http://www.toyotapart.com/85620-08061.html) is only $80 as of this post. And the dealer was only quoting part cost not part and installation cost.

I am ok around mechanical things and I am cheap and refuse to pay $$$$ for this repair so this *shouldn't* be a problem to change out. The extra notes about the motor screws location being on the back of the control panel was good.

Hopefully this repair doesn't require any special tools you have to purchase from toyota.

Thanks so much for your very detailed post. It made a world of difference. It helped me diagnose and locate the issue without having to pull the door panel off first. Before ordering I will go ahead and pull the panel and verify the release motor is not functioning.

Good grief I have flipp'n electric toy motors that last longer than this!
  • sononesonone Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for the detailed heads up! Can I get the PDF you're mentioning?
    I'm new to this forum.
    If you wouldn't mind emailing it to me: sononeshot@yahoo.com
    Thank you so much!
  • turtle20turtle20 Member Posts: 1
    I'm all for your Facebook page. I have a 2011 with the exact same issue with no real help from dealer. They continue to brush off the issue because I can get occur with them but the symptoms continue. It seems to be more frequent when parked on any sloped surface.
  • findanewmakefindanewmake Member Posts: 2

I have similar problems with my '05 Sienna, so whoever mentioned not buying a first year in production model needs to reconsider that thought!

I take care of routine and all preventative maintenance on this van because it's paid off and I don't want another car payment (kids in college and private HS). We live in the Mid-Atlantic (East Coast) area and this is a summary of the problems I've had with my '05 Sienna LE:

• Trim fell off from exterior window between mid-window and rear window; interior bolt and
      screw covers have fallen off and cannot be repaired

• Power door motor failed (fortunately for me, before my extended warranty expired)

• Power steering rack fell to pieces and had to be completely replaced (again under warranty)
    • Power steering fluid leaks; antifreeze leaks
    • Driver's side door weld failed
    • Sliding doors freeze at or below 32 degrees ... sometimes for days at a time.
    • Automatic transmission jumps/jolts during shift to next gear (my mechanic says that this was a known programming error, but could only be fixed under warranty or I would have to pay)
    • Rear license tag light cannot be accessed for replacement even after removal of the entire rear gate interior panel!

There are more, but those are the ones that have bugged me the most. I also know that Toyota quality went out the door when our vehicles were manufactured. Don't know if I'll ever go back after this van. I never had quality issues like this with Honda!

• findanewmakefindanewmake Member Posts: 2

I'm beginning to have the same door latch release issues with my '05 Sienna, but it's definitely intermittent. Having replaced the door motor and cable assembly once already, I was told to turn off the sliding door motor when on a hill so the door motor and cable assembly don't get overworked. Since then (5+ years ago), the door has been functioning properly.

Also, does anyone have trouble getting the sliding doors to "lock" open? IOW, the door should click and hold open when fully opened, but many times, those latches don't catch.

• johnfixesstuffjohnfixesstuff Member Posts: 3

I replaced the sliding door cable assembly and gave detailed instructions how to repair yours too on my blog at: http://johnfixesstuff.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-replace-the-power-sliding-door-cables-2004-207-toyota-sienna-xle.html

I recently had the cable break on my 2004 Toyota Sienna sliding door. I replaced the cable assembly and I share all the details of how to replace yours on my blog at: http://johnfixesstuff.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-replace-the-power-sliding-door-cables-2004-207-toyota-sienna-xle.html

If you need to replace the cable assembly I detailed the entire process with lots of diagrams and pictures on my blog: http://johnfixesstuff.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-replace-the-power-sliding-door-cables-2004-207-toyota-sienna-xle.html

• raab1raab1 Member Posts: 1

How do you find post #321?

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@raab1 said:
    How do you find post #321?

I think this is the comment you're seeking?

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/3275999/#Comment_3275999

• beauregard71beauregard71 Member Posts: 2
    This is a repost from chuckman4112. My wife's van has the same symptoms. Does anyone know the root cause? Thanks
    "The door seems to function, (opening and closing with all switches, remote and manually) but I have noticed something odd that the passenger door is doing that the drivers side is not doing. When the door closes, you can hear, and see, the rear latch engage, but about 1-2 seconds later, you hear the latch again, and the door pops out ever so slightly. The other odd part of this is that when it first latches, the door is actually pulled in beyond the body line of the rear quarter. It's almost like it is pulling the door in to far. After the 1-2 second delay, and you hear the latch again, the door pops out a little, but at this point, the door is now in perfect line with the quarter panel like it should be. I tried pushing from the inside, and prying from the outside to teat the latch, but the door does not move.

I'm sure this is not normal, (as the drivers side does not do this) and now we don't know if it is going to fly open again at some point or if it is truly latched. Have you heard or seen this before? Any suggestions on what might be causing the the rear latch to disengage slightly?"
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Can you eyeball the rear latch and see if there's any "new" paint exposed? I'm wondering if the latch on the body has moved a bit.

You might experiment with some electrical tape on the front and rear latches (assuming they are |_| shaped like the ones on my Grand Caravan). I did that with all of mine and it stopped the sliders from rattling. Be nice to rule out a simple maladjustment before taking it to a dealer or body shop.
  • beauregard71beauregard71 Member Posts: 2
    I will check closer to see if the latch has moved. My guess is that it didn't as the door worked intermetadly for a couple of weeks before it consistently failed. That's for the pointer.
  • happy711happy711 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have a Sienna 2002 model, driver side power sliding door does not close automatically when i press power button, it instead closes and then reopen by itself , goes back to open position again and dash board door jam sign is lit.
    how if i turn off the power sliding door option, i am able to close it manually fine. I have shared a video of that problem.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxOVFLaP6JWfQ0Z0LTVLUnVwbm8/view?usp=sharing
    if any one know what is problem is please let me know thanks in advance
    Sam