Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Sonic

2»

Comments

• Options
    laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Is the Chevrolet Sonic "Hatchback" big enough to take a long road trip?
    Driving will be mostly highway... (Watertown, N.Y. to Miami Beach, Florida).
    We are 2 adults in their mid 50's and we always owned and traveled in S.U.V.'s (Blazers and Equinox) or Vans (Venture and Uplander).
    Is it big enough? Strong enough? Not to scary? Sufficient cargo space for luggage, cooler and necessity?
    What was your longest road trip done in a Sonic?
  • Options
    sonic_ownersonic_owner Member Posts: 2
    I own a Sonic and Traverse. I use the Sonic to and from work 65 miles. And there is a difference in the ride. The braking and handling is better but if you are used to a smoother ride I would not take the Sonic on a long trip like that. But then again I am getting old and my rear needs a softer ride.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    They drive nicely but since y'all are used to a bit more space, I'd go a bit bigger. it's too bad they don't sell the Captiva here in America, it's a smaller SUV that the rental fleets use...I work for a company that transports rentals and drive these frequently and they are very nice, just perfect for what y'all are looking for actually. After yesterdays trip to the Hyundai dealer to service my kids vehicle, I found the perfect vehicle for you guys. The Hyundai Tuscon, a smallish "cute ute", the perfect sized vehicle for your purposes. or even try the Nissan Rogue, another great choice. A bit more room with that feeling of being a little above other vehicles. Personally, I'd love one for my next vehicle but have come to realize, after yesterday, that it's a bit too big for me. But for y'all, it's just perfect!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to a user of Siri Eyes Free integration, as equipped in the Chevrolet Spark or Sonic. If you are willing to share your experience using Siri Eyes Free integration in your Spark or Sonic, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, 7/24/13.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    Hi sandman, I live in NY and yesterday I bought a 2012 Chevy Captiva LTZ. You just can't buy them brand new.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    That's what we thought also though I also saw a used LT down here recently. When we looked up Chevy's Canadian site though, there it was for sale. A real shame that we can not buy one here as they are good small ute's especially in the LTZ model...they drive smoothly and are pretty comfortable. I especially like it in silver and red. Still don't see why Chevy doesn't sell them here as not everyone wants an Equonix and I'm sure many would like the smaller size vehicle, I know I would if we were in the market for a ute.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    There are 2 vehicles that are sold up here in Canada and it's a shame that they don't sell them in the U.S.
    Check these...the Chevrolet Trax (suv) and the Chevrolet Orlando (apv).
    www.gmcanada.ca
  • Options
    Chevy Trax = Buick Encore. I've said my piece.
  • Options
    geminimangeminiman Member Posts: 1
    I love the Sonic RS, however I'm a little disappointed in the phone compatibility options. The Sonic uses BringGo as a navigation app that runs through your phone. After I bought the car, it turns out that the app doesn't work with the latest and greatest andriod, the S4. It does work though for the older S3 and S2.

Also, I was thinking that pictures videos can be viewed from your phone through the usb port. It turns out only pictures and videos on a flash drive can be used.
  • Options
    But my piece is that we have both models in Canada and...the Chevy Trax sells for $$ but the Buick Encore sells for $$$$$$$$$$$ for praticly the same vehicle. So again...It's ashame the U.S. don't sell the Chevrolet Trax.

Do a search on G.M. Canada to see the BIG difference in price between the Trax and Encore.

You'll realise that the Chevy Trax does not = the Buick Encore at all regarding your wallet.
  • Options

I'd like to know how the Sonic hatchback performs in snow driving.

• Options
    edited January 2014

You are right. Chevy is a car for the masses. Buick is for those who cannot afford Cadillacs. And I no longer have a wallet, I carry a man purse, it's European. Maybe I should buy a rebadged Opel Mokka.

• Options
    wyrtwisterwyrtwister Member Posts: 6
    2015 Sonic 1.8l automatic - MPG

Well , here it is winter . Not running the A/C .

Our little Sonic has 24,000 + miles . Filled it up last Saturday . We have run several errands , 100% in town . The guess-o-meter on the dash is showing 29.5 + MPG .

Only modification is a self installed after market cruse control .

Last summer it got 23 - 24 MPG with the A/C being used much of the time .

I am happy . :-)

God bless
    Wyr
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    Longest road trip in 2016 sonic was 2600 miles roundtrip, boston to MN and back. on 4 snow tires. we hit zero snow but the snows made the car wander/track worse than with the factory tires. it was OK but i prefer larger car for long haul.
  • Options
    wyrtwisterwyrtwister Member Posts: 6
    We have a 2015 Sonic . Fine for in town use . A little small for 2 large size senior citizens . For road trips .

But that is not the car's fault .

Not surprised about the snow tires , on dry roads . Nature of the beast . I have owned only 2 snow tires in over 45 years of driving ( about 40 years ago ) . Best I remember , they acted that way too . I learned my sesson .

We do not get enough ice / snow in a " normal " winter to justify snow tires .

We replaced the OEM tires on our Sonic at about 40,000 miles .

Wyr
    God bless