Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Ford Explorer

juscheckingjuschecking Member Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in Ford
Driving in deep, loose sand

I would like to purchase the 2014 Explorer to replace my 1998 Mountaineer but am unsure as to how the new electronically controlled drive train will function in deep, loose sand. With my current vehicle I put it into 4W-high, let air out of the tires, and have never had a problem. Anyone had any experience driving the 2014 Explorer in deep, loose sand? I have driven the 2013 (rental) in snow and 4 or 5 inch deep hard pack sand and it, not surprisingly, did just fine. The question is about deep ( 6 to 10 inches), loose sand.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2014

@juschecking, I'm going to edit the discussion to try to get some more attention for the '14 Explorer.

You may have to air down and be the guinea pig though. But the towing bill wouldn't be fun. I remember a sign at Great Sand Dunes NP saying the minimum tow for the sand road on the eastern edge of the dunes there is $450.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2014

"The 2014 Ford Explorer rides very smoothly on the highway, with good composure over broken pavement. As such, Ford's crossover SUV is enjoyable on longer drives. It handles securely in typical driving situations, but overall, it feels larger and less maneuverable than similarly sized rivals."

Full 2014 Ford Explorer Review

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320

The Explorer has a couple of air deflectors in each lower front corner. They are about curb height, but I think they can be removed The 20 inch tire/rims are for on road only.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert