Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Age of collector--Impact on ownership

dranoeldranoel Member Posts: 79
I have been a "car nut" since I was 6 years old
(1939), and it appears to me the cars that were on
the street when I was in school are those of my
primary interest.Part of my school years were
during the 2nd World War, which distorted my
situation somewhat as no cars were manufactured for
almost 4 years. However,I have always focused on
the cars of the 30s and early 40s. I notice those
who are 10-20 years younger than I, seem to
gravitate to cars of the 50s. I imagine in another
20 years people will be collecting the Chevy Vegas
and Dodge Aspens of the 70s(which I find difficult
to believe at this moment in time)What are you
theories?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    About like yours. Each generation tends to seek out the cars of their youth, more or less, and then most (most) of the cars of the previous generation fall into neglect. This is why most of the cars of the 30s and 40s are unwanted. The people with the discretionary income are focusing on 50s & 60s cars--the Baby Boomers' wheels.

Of course, there are exceptions. Very earyl antiques, because of their charm and rarity, can bring decent though not astronomical prices (around $25,000 would get you most 1900-1920 cars)...also, the rare, artistic and magnificent one-offs or powerful coachbuilt cars of the early 30s, Duesenbergs and Cords and the like, if they are well-done and have a good history, can still bring big bucks.

But really, it's all about Supply and Demand. No one much cares about a common 30s sedan, or most 40s cars either. They are heavy, slow and often not verey attractive. 50s cars are fast, modern and colorful.

I doubt most modern cars will be collectible. They are too similar and produced in huge numbers, and with such good corrosion protection and use of plastics, they will survive in large numbers, too.
    These are mostly robot-built cars and except for special models I don't see much collectibility. Like in the past, the cars with the best chance of being collectible would be open cars that are performance-oriented. But even here you have to be careful, since a 1965 Mustang convertible, while collectible, has taken 35 years to be worth $15,000 dollars---that's not exactly sky high after all that time, whereas some 60s muscle cars that are coupes or sedans with some huge and rare engine are bringing in over $50K.

I mean, would YOU lust after a 1995 Honda Accord 35 years from now? Doubt it.
  • Options
    carnut4carnut4 Member Posts: 574
    being born in 1946 and growing up in the LA area, I began noticing cars, trucks and buses almost from the time I could walk. I was a serious carnut by the time I was 5, and knew most of the makes on the road. Clear through the 50's, there were still many cars from the 30's and 40's on the road, and I WAS interested in them, and so were my friends. That still goes. Of course, being a kid in the 50's, and seeing that age of all the flamboyant chrome, color, and styling, those cars are my primary interest, followed equally by 60's cars, and 30's & 40's cars. My friends and I have owned and driven 30's and 40's cars, and do not mind the dated performance-in fact, that's part of the experience of an old car-getting to know, and living with, the old electrical systems, steering & handling, and [ahem]brakes. None of that makes them any less interesting to me than a 57 Chev or 65 GTO. It's just a different kind if interest, and all part of the authentic "nostalgia trip." Many cars of the 30's are still too pricy [Cad, Packard, Cord, Auburn, Duesy, Buick, LaSalle] and out of reach of many who might like to own one of them, me included. As far as style, I think 30's cars are much appreciated by my generation. Just look at all those street rods out there, and the boomers driving them! I've seen some unusual streetrods too, like Nashes, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, and other weird ones made into interesting street rods. They aren't ALL 34-40 Fords! Expensive, yes, but to me a helluva lot more fun than plunking down 40 big ones on a stupid plastic something from Ford or GM! And I agree that today's cars will NEVER be collectible, for the reasons Shifty mentioned. Just what will? That's another topic.
    My two bits.....
  • Options
    Oh, the supercars for sure, or at least some of them. There still isn't a highly collectible Japanese car except for the Toyota 2000GT, which is extremely rare.
  • Options
    moparmadmoparmad Member Posts: 197
    I am 29 and therefore began my interest in cars in the mid late seventies.Maybe that explains my fascination with late sixties,early seventy muscle cars.Other than the Little Red Trucks from Dodge,what else would anyone want from 1978?
    I currently own a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda,and will someday own a 1967 Plymouth GTX.
    What will my nephews lust after?Acura Integra's probably.The newest latest craze...the sport compacts.Maybe Plymouth Prowlers will become collectable after Daimler nixes the Plymouth brand.Notice I said Daimler,everyone knows that the correct pronounciation is Daimler,because the Chrysler is silent.Maybe all Mopars will be collectable after I am driving a Mercedes Ram,or Mercedes Cherokee(doesn't that sound weird?)
  • Options
    rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Sorry, I don't see many of the "sport compacts" living to be collectable age. I have a friend who has a Civic del sol, and enough modifications on that car (including a blower, but no bottle) that almost everyone who knows about the car agrees the engine and or transmission will disintegrate before 30 or 40 K. Many people who modify these little engines to the point where they crank out the kinda horsepower you expect to see from a V-8 either forget, don't know, or (as in the case of my friend) don't car that they do so at the expense of engine life. Read any factory warranty, and you'll see engine mods will almost certainly void your warranty.
  • Options
    rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Err....sorry
    That's supposed to be "don't care", not "don't car"
  • Options
    Besides, these modern cars are made in huge numbers compared to most "classics" of the past. And aside from collision damage, most of them will survive much better than old cars ever did. So there will be a glut of so-called collectibles and special editions and all that stuff.
  • Options
    When it comes to salvage yard time for these little bombs [after they've been thoroughly screwed, blued, and tatooed by highschool kids] will they need a special bin for all the plastic that's on the car, or just crush it up like all the old "iron?"
  • Options
    I think any modern car that makes it as far as the wrecker these days isn't ever coming back to the streets, at least not whole. Wreckers are very efficient and they waste no time storing cars for future collectibility. They strip 'em and melt 'em or part 'em asap.
  • Options
    put bricks on the throttles for "endurance" tests..I'd love to pick out a select few in my local yard here, and go around doing the brick test...
This discussion has been closed.