Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181

@brian125 said:
    cski,

Optima 's k-9 will compete with Hyundai's new redesign 2015 Genesis.

The K900 will compete with the Equus, not the Genesis. The K900 base price is about $60k, similar to the Equus, while the entry 2015 Genesis is about $39K.

• Wow. It weighs 4300 lbs. Better get the V8

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

m6user

The K900 will compete with the Equus, not the Genesis. The K900 base price is about $60k, similar to the Equus, while the entry 2015 Genesis is about $39K

You are right......... my god.. At least the Equus looks sharp.. Not that dog unit car..

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited January 2014

Audi A/S 6.......... OR.......... Kia k-9... let me think about that for 1 min.........LOL...

I was planning on buying the 2014 Audi S6 but with my line up already my wife killed that idea. So I settled on a 2013 R-spec Genesis sedan for now...

• I am going to the Washington DC Auto Show tomorrow, and will take many pictures. If there is any car you guys have been wanting to see up close, let me know and I will post pictures on Saturday.

cski

Let me know what your thoughts are on the new 2015 Genesis.. Front grille in particular..

NYC show is april...................TKS

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250

Finally driving the Fusion tomorrow. Weather will be warm enough to run it through the car wash and it will be displaying low fuel level when I drop it off on Monday to get the bumper fixed.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited January 2014

Toyota

Has another another recall. 6 models with faulty heated seats that may ignite. Check to see if your model is listed.

I'd hate to be stuck in traffic with my butt on fire..

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024

@brian125 said:
    Toyota

Has another another recall. 6 models with faulty heated seats that may ignite. Check to see if your model is listed.

I'd hate to be stuck in traffic with my butt on fire..

They put a stop sale order on them in the USA, but they are still selling the vehicles in Canada. Dunno if we are less likely to catch on fire up here, or if Toyota just doesn't care if we do...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited January 2014

Models are..... Camry Corolla, Tundra , Avalon, Sienna and Camry hybrid

Drove the Fusion today for the first time in almost a week.
    It has way more power than I need. I even went so far as to price a 2014 Fusion with the 1.5 ecoboost. Didn't check the fuel mileage difference, but priced out just over 30k before incentives. Wasn't thrilled with the wheel options that could be combined with the features I was looking for.

• Just got back from the 2014 Washington DC Auto Show.

The two stars of the show on the American side was the new Mustang and Corvette, along with the Aluminum bodied 2015 F-150.

So, what was new in mid the mid-size segment? The new Chrysler 200! It was very nice looking on the outside, but since it was roped off and on a tall pedestal, interior shots were impossible.

One of the cars I liked the most was the new Impala. They had a fully decked out LTZ 3.6, jet black with a dark tan leather interior. Beautiful.

Here is the new 200...

• Sorry for the bad picture quality. Here are two more 200 pics.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Lots of pics, 360 view, and details on the 2015 200 here:

http://www.chrysler.com/en/2015/200/

Looks very Fusion-like outside... which is not a bad thing! Also a 9-speed AT! I think that is unique in the class.

@cski said:
    Sorry for the bad picture quality. Here are two more 200 pics.

Did you use the beer goggle app to take those pictures? :p

• The camera lens was dirty. My 8 year old kid uses my phone a lot so...

Anyway, I have more pics of other cars coming ASAP. (I need to sync my pictures folder).

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@cski

I watched the introduction of the new 200 on Chrysler's Website. They really seem to have put "all hands on deck" for the 200. I hope they are incredibly successful. High quality interior materials, a sport edition, available V6, 9 speed automatic, available fully disconnecting AWD system, sharp styling... How did the exterior look in person?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

Did I hear right in the TV show about NAIAS that the 200 shares a platform with the Dart and a Jeep model?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432

@imidazol97 said:
    Did I hear right in the TV show about NAIAS that the 200 shares a platform with the Dart and a Jeep model?

Believe so. Yes on the Dart, and the new Cherokee is built on a version of that platform too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

It had better be good, as it is competing in the "family sedan" market, which has formidable competition. But you can get the 300 HP V-6 with AWD, and that's something not many competitors can match. The 200 also shares the platform with the Alfa Romeo Giullieta. The "old" 200 was a pretty much nothing car, so this one has really got to improve on the name.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

@nyccarguy said:
    cski

I watched the introduction of the new 200 on Chrysler's Website. They really seem to have put "all hands on deck" for the 200. I hope they are incredibly successful. High quality interior materials, a sport edition, available V6, 9 speed automatic, available fully disconnecting AWD system, sharp styling... How did the exterior look in person?

It looked great. It caught my attention from across the room. Very swoopy with the front end reminding me of the Lincoln MK-Z. The back end was really modern looking with a substantial built in spoiler, lighted reflector area above the integrated dual exhaust, and it just flowed really well. Very sporty, and the design made it look like a car costing thousands more. I think it will be a hit if Chrysler gets the driving dynamics and the interior assembly quality up to par with the rest of the field. I also noticed the giant infotainment screen, which is probably the same unit in many other current Chrysler platforms. Will America buy this one in droves? Or stay away like the Dart? Only time (and good reviews) will tell.

I also noticed the new Chevy SS. If you are looking for an understated hot-rod sport sedan this car is for you. It is the same size as a mid size sedan, looking very similar to the Malibu (almost to a fault). Interior and exterior assembly quality was excellent, and when they fired one up downstairs it attracted men like a moth to a flame. At $45k, it seems to be a great buy for a car reaching 60 in 4.6 seconds.

The new Mustang was really pretty too. They had a red EcoBoost 2.3 T on display, and while the design is evolutionary rather than revolutionary, Ford cut a lot of weight and finally added an IRS and very much improved interior materials, and MFT is now offered in a Mustang the first time. I think I would enjoy the 2.3 EB with 305 HP. It should get good FE and has plenty of power. Fords is gonna sell at ton of them, with big hopes for sales overseas.

Again though, I found the most attractive sedan to be the Impala 3.6 LTZ. It just "did it" for me. Why? Because I tend to like cars that I can actually afford, fit my whole family in comfort, and that is cost effective to maintain.

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

The 200 is basically just a larger Dart - which isn't a bad thing. Much improved over the old one.

The Chevy SS will sell just as well as the Pontiac GTO and G8 - which is to say, not very well. It suffers from the same problem as the GTO and G8 - dowdy looks despite good performance.

Rumor has it they only brought over the Holden rebadge to throw a bone to the Aussies to make up for other transgressions and it will be a very limited run.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Right. It will be a limited production so they can generate an exclusivity buzz. "We aren't making many of them, so get on down here to your local Chevy dealer fast"! (especially if you are gainfully employed homeowner male between 40 and 60 with cash to burn). LOL

Dropped off the Fusion to get the rear bumper repaired today. Got an Edge Limited as a loaner. It's set up inside just like the Explorer I had before the Fusion, so I had everything set up the way I like it in 2 minutes. There's even free SAT radio for the next week or so, so I'm listening to that.It's ok in the snow.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited February 2014

Midsize sales for Jan. Honda said that some of its best markets were hard hit by the cold, but still it's a bit of a surprise to see the Accord in 4th place last month....I know some production was hit by the weather, but even with that I think the midsize cars are beginning to build up on the lots. Deals should be good. I sense a possible blowout this Spring?

Camry 23,332

Altima 22,515

Fusion 20,717

Accord 20,604

Malibu 11,822

200 10,912

Optima 9,979

Sonata 9,815

Passat 6,236

Avenger 4,795

Mazda6 3,172

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

Wow - you would think bad weather would affect all brands the same. Definitely an anomaly.

As you know, I'm an Accord guy, but it sounds to me like the Honda folks were spinning. Still, the top 4 are all pretty close. The big news is that there's less than 1000 units between Camry and Altima. In December, the Accord took the lead for 1 month iirc. Could Fusion, Altima, or Accord take it in Feb? Unlikely, but possible imho.

couple thoughts on this. one is that Honda sells a ton in the NE, and our weather in january was horrid, so no surprise that sales up here stunk. And yeah, I am guessing that by around March dealers are going to be storing cars on the roof to make room for incoming stock, and there will be serious deals to be found.

One thing I do know from keeping an eye on the ads lately (being in the market), Toyota and Nissan (along with Hyundai) were cheap selling the heck out of their cars in January, especially lease offers on the Camry. I think if you walked into the dealer to use the bathroom, they just gave you a car to take home.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Accords are made in Ohio and Ohio had record snow and cold in January, over 40 inches in Toledo, for example. All car sales are down due to the awful weather. Honda doesn't do much in the way of fleet sales so not to surprising their numbers suffered.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202

Look for the Camry to take a tumble in February. Toyota has halted all sales of cars with heated seats: http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2014/01/30/toyota-halts-sales-of-popular-models-to-fix-seat-heaters/
    I think the Fusion will take the number one slot for this month.

I expect Accord to rebound so doubtful Fusion will be #1.

• I agree on the weather deal. It isn't often we get single digit cold, and with the kids either out of school or two hours late opening, parents have no time, and no desire; to go out in the cold to buy a car. I don't even want to go out to MY car! :)

• @akirby said:
    I expect Accord to rebound so doubtful Fusion will be #1.

After sitting in a Few Fusions at the auto-show the only thing I did not care for was the center stack clicky- push buttons. The rest was great and very modern.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    edited February 2014

The delta between 4th and 5th place is interesting, almost a 50% drop. Clearly there are the big 4 midsizers and then the rest of the bunch.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Except if you add up the sales by automaker, it's closer, e.g. Hyundai/Kia selling almost 20,000 for the month, and Chrysler nearly 15,000--which is amazing given how the 200 and Avenger are the worst mid-sizers in the bunch. If Chrysler can sell 15,000 of those turkeys, they should do very well with the new 200.

So I'd say it's the Big 6 and Everyone Else.

from Auto news

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140204/RETAIL01/302049919/detroit-3-shrug-off-rising-output-stockpiles-after-january-chill

Detroit 3 shrug off rising output, stockpiles after January chill
    Pricing discipline to be tested, analysts warn

....Now, after Ford added a second factory of Fusion production late last year, the challenge will be maintaining prices that Ford said average almost $24,000 a car. Fusion sales fell 8 percent last month.

Challenge coming

"The big challenge won't be until the first big automaker really breaks ranks on pricing and we approach a market top and we see how people deal with it," Wakefield said. "Dealing with growing 5 percent or 10 percent a year is a lot different than dealing with a reduction."

Scraping for sales in a slow market with bloated inventories could set off a price war, AutoNation's Jackson warned.

"High inventories, market-share ambitions, slower-growing market: The tinder is there this year," he said in an interview last month. "The last four years haven't been a real test for the industry. This year will be a real test."

Here in the Northeast NYC, we have another snowstorm today and a big one to follow this Sunday into monday. The Cars wont be moving anytime soon. This will mean more incentive and rebates and lower prices.. This is truly good news for the consumer.

@brian125

**Here in the Northeast NYC, we have another snowstorm today and a big one to follow this Sunday into Monday

This has me thinking ahead to when my lease is up. Living in CT and commuting to the Bronx every day really puts a value on AWD/4WD for me. This AM if you didn't have AWD/4WD or snow tires you weren't getting very far. With a new 2015 coming out, there will be big discounts and great deals to be had on leftover 2014 Legacys.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Since my Fusion is in the body shop, I drove the Edge loaner today. It was really good in the snow. They are considered to be somewhat overweight, but it really pays off on a day like today. Even on slippery uphill starts, it didn't slip.

My Genesis R-spec with rwd is useless in this weather just going to let it sit in the garage another month til i could get it down to my house in Myrtle beach. Thank god for the awd/ 4wd suv's in this weather.
    Amazing how many people with cars take a chance and drive in this kind of weather . Not to smart.

Nyccarguy

A left over 2014 legacy would be a excellent choice with 2015 models comming out in the fall....Let me know when you are going to buy. I know several dealerships that i dealt with.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

Actually tires play a much more important role than AWD in snow and ice. After all they also help when turning and stopping while AWD only helps while accelerating.

Not being able to accelerate can be a pain, but not being able to stop is what gets you into real trouble.

• Benjaminh said: ....Now, after Ford added a second factory of Fusion production late last year, the challenge will be maintaining prices that Ford said average almost $24,000 a car. Fusion sales fell 8 percent last month.

My car stickered at $24,000. Exactly average price for an average mid size sedan with above average looks I guess.

@brian125

Thanks! I appreciate the heads up. My lease is up at the end of September, so I'll most likely be looking to buy (or lease) around Labor Day.

@dudleyr

Yes, you are correct. I made it through many winters in the suburbs of NYC with my trusty, (but never rusty) 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH with FWD, a 5-Speed Manual Transmission, & a set of (minus 1) Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires mounted on 15" steel wheels. 3 1/2 years ago I moved from my condo in Hartsdale, NY (Westchester County) to a house in Stamford, CT. They don't plow as well, they don't salt (people have well water), it is a little colder, we get more snow, have curvier back roads, and we've got a lot more hills... So I switched to AWD and haven't looked back. Regardless of the fact that I have AWD in my car and 4WD in my wife's SUV, I still drive cautiously in the snow & ice. I don't miss storing an extra set of tires & wheels plus having them switched 2x per year.

One thing Ford is not going to do is overproduce Fusions and drop the prices/increase incentives to move them. Any excess plant capacity in Flat Rock can be shared with Mustang and upcoming MKS and Taurus.

Bradd, Labor Day should be a perfect time to Devore a great lease deal on a 2014. I may be in the market around the same time, since that us right after when my daughter leaves to start college and I expect to have my driveway clearance sale.

@stickguy

We can do a double CCBA punch & buy together:)

• @akirby said:
    One thing Ford is not going to do is overproduce Fusions and drop the prices/increase incentives to move them. Any excess plant capacity in Flat Rock can be shared with Mustang and upcoming MKS and Taurus.

I sat in a Taurus SEL and ate my lunch at the auto show. Why? Because it was big enough for me and just as much that no one else wanted to. That's when I examined the center stack and found hugely misaligned panels, especially the nav screen, which had 1/4 to 1/2 inch gaps behind it just like C/D said. The interior materials were OK, but no where near as nice as my $10,000 less expensive Optima, or your $10,000 less Fusion.

edited February 2014

@dudleyr
    We are sold on AWD. It's there when you need it all year long. No drama, no trying to figure out when should I put on the winter tires or take them off. It can maximize the tires that are mounted on the vehicle. I tried to spin the Edge a bit in a parking lot. It just cut the power to keep it going in a circle. It won't help you stop, but you have to getting moving first, then you worry about stopping. :D

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

4 snows get me going just fine. I enjoy not worrying about stopping - except for the guy behind me that can't stop. ;)

@explorerx4

That's the perfect way to describe it. The AWD systems now are quite sophisticated and very transparent. 355 days a year my BMW's balanced, RWD chassis help it perform as advertised. When the weather turns white, I usually leave before the roads are plowed. I've got to open up at 7:30 AM.

Before so many manufacturers offered SUVs and cars with AWD, pick a house somewhere in New England. At least 1 car was a Jeep, Subaru, or Audi.