Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Reduced Engine Power message

Comments

• deanrichardsondeanrichardson Member Posts: 5
    As previously mentioned my latest endeavor with the reduced engine power issue was to replace the gas cap, however, went into reduced engine power mode again, only once so far, I will continue to update as it occurs.
    I may replace battery cables next unless someone has another suggestion.
  • ebonyhebonyh Member Posts: 5
    Once again, GM has replaced the pedal sensor three times now. Just got the car back last week and guess what? It happened again. Back to repair a FOURTH time. This is a bunch of BULL. It's not the pedal sensor!
  • nowwhat2nowwhat2 Member Posts: 9
    My dealer had to build a wire harness from the throttle body to the pedal. Or how ever the wire harness goes. They built a replacement from scratch. Why? Because GM doesn't sell one for replacement! They also replaced the throttle body. But if I had to bet money on what fixed it between the two parts. I would have to say 98% sure it was the wire harness. I think GM got some cheap wires/wire harnesses made in Mexico. And the poor quality of that product would severely hurt their bottom line and they know it. In fact the GM rep. on the 1-800 number was a jerk. And got real nasty after I asked about getting an attorney after my Denali quit and almost put me and my family in a wreck. He was so bad that what ever email he sent to my dealer service writer, really made him upset. As a result my service writer completely took care of the situation. That was like two years ago or more. GM has a BIG WIRE problem they need to own up to it! Tell your dealer to replace or build the wire harness from the throttle body to the gas pedal. Don't fall for the gas cap thing either. Never changed mine and owned our Denali since new in 2003. Hope this helps.
  • niques03denaliniques03denali Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I need to get my truck fixed. This problem has been driving me crazy! Who is your dealer and how do I get my dealer to understand this info because obviously most dealerships are not on the same page when it comes to this problem. Also when did it get fixed and have you had the problem since?
  • dillmandillman Member Posts: 2
    I have had the SAME problem. Reduced Engine Power when the temperature changes. I have had the throttle position sensor changed twice. This last time they changed some wire harness. It is still doing it. More now whether the temp is cool or not. Have you figured anything else out? I am very very frustrated with this ordeal.
  • makoridermakorider Member Posts: 1
    I too am having issues with my 07 Yukon.

This may sound crazy...but with all the computerization, maybe not, but has anyone found a correlation with this problem occuring and oil levels?

I first had issues in August. Just prior to getting the dreaded 'reduced power' message, I was getting a "low oil" message/warning. However, dipstick showed proper oil level and I attributed it to a faulty sensor. About three weeks later my wife got stuck on I287. I had not done any research, just figured that a low oil condition would send the car into 'safe' mode so I replaced the sensor and the problem went away until this week.

I was very much up for an oil change and the truck again slowed down on my wife, coincidentally the same time as the change engine oil message came up.

I'm not about to go about throwing parts at this thing as many as you have. I have no justification for it, but my gut tells me its related to some kind of computer/programming snafu.

Anyone else see something similar?
  • dillmandillman Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    Ok, I have a guy that works on my truck out of Broken Arrow, Ok. He is good. As my brother has told me, if this guy can't fix your problem....you pretty much screwed. He is that good. BUT, HERE IS THE INTERESTING SCENARIO.

My Truck is still doing the "reduced engine power", but only at certain speeds. Here is the deal.....when I give it gas and take off and then let off staying at or below 30mph (coasting) it doesn't go into reduced power. ALSO, when I get out of town and throttle the truck up past 60 it doesn' do it either. If I go below 60 and then try to give it gas, REDUCED ENGINE POWER!!! If I stay above 60 the truck has ran good (knock on wood!) BUT, if I try and stay beween 30 and 60, it is a consant headache...REDUCED ENGINE POWER.

So, I called "my guy". I told him my little scenario. He is going to research it a little more. He thinks it could be related to a wheel bearing. Something in the wiring in the wheel bearing/tire area and relating to the signals that are sent to the brain/computer of the truck. Sounds kinda strange but he seems to know A LOT more than I do!!
  • jamikajamika Member Posts: 1
    Buy cheap odb2 code reader from harbor freight tools. Hit the clear codes button and it will return to normal, I have an older model reader with a clear codes button. I think it was $39. Keep the odb2 sensor plugged in if you plan to drive the vehicle with this problem as it can be dangerous if you get the "reduced engine power" code in traffic or on the freeway. I almost got rear ended last week on the freeway. Now if I get the code I hit the clear codes button it it returns to normal without pulling over and turning the truck off.
  • autotek44autotek44 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone I am a mechanic and i have had this problem in my shop a few times. I have stated here in this forum before there is more than just one cause to this problem.I have found five different fixes.
    1. throttle body
    2. throttle body wiring harness at the throttlebody
    3. the pedal position sensor
    4. the pedal position wiring harness
    5. the throttle control module

I also know that not all year models have a throttle control module and a replacable pedal position sensor wiring harness.
    The gas cap will not fix the problem and using a code reader to just clear the code is a bandaid fix not a proper fix.
    I have also found on some vehicles that one or more of these are the problem.The last one i fixed was almost a year ago no more problems.
  • chjbrownchjbrown Member Posts: 1
    I too have had the dreaded and terrifying "Reduced Engine Power"/"Service Stabilitrack" error. I have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL. It eats oil for breakfast and shuts down randomly. I have a TPS wiring harness on order and will be in tomorrow (12-3-13). I have been told by a GM Dealership that I have to have a computer to reset after switching out the wiring harness. Can anyone tell me if this is true or they trying to pull one over on a blonde woman. I love my Yukon but I'm about to trade it in on a Ford Super Duty with the troubles I've had. Always been a GM buyer but I'm about done with them. Way to dangerous for my family.
  • 6482ldo6482ldo Member Posts: 1
    Just returned from a deployment where my car sat for about 4 months. When I finally got back into it, it drove fine for a bit and then I started getting "service suspension" message and the check engine light was on. I took it into Autozone to get some supplies and had them hook up the diagnostics. Error codes P449 and P045 came up relating to the gas cap and possible solenoids or vapor canister. Basically the gas cap wasn't tight or I was topping off the fuel and some went into the vapor canister... no big deal, just tighten the cap and disconnect the negative terminal on the batt for about 15 seconds and the computer will reset the check engine light. NOTHING addressed the suspension issue. So driving to work this morning and at a stop light my dash started chiming and "stabilitrak disabled", "traction control disabled", and "reduced engine power" came up. Took off from the light and it was rough. I pulled into a parking lot and looked up some stuff on the net. I was letting my car sit while off when I heard a "click" so I tried starting it and the warnings were gone but the check light was still there. But it ran fine so I continued on to work. About a mile down the road, it all happened again as I took off from another stop light. So I pulled over and called a tow truck. I was researching stuff and was going to have it towed to the house where I would replace the throttle body sensor, clean the throttle body, replace it, or whatever. Mind you, it started up no problem. Then the tow truck got there and it wouldn't wouldn't turn over at all! He started telling me it was the starter! So I changed my mind and had it delivered to the GMC dealer service center where I await a diagnosis...
    I've read everything from it's a dirty throttle body to the computer needs to be reprogrammed. Anyone else experience this series of issues? I feel like I'm looking down a rabbit hole and I'd rather not fall in regarding the issues you all below have run into. - Vince
  • lparkerrnlparkerrn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Yukon with the same Engine Power Reduced and runs terrible. I have been an avid Yukon owner for the last 12 years. I'm now done. I am trading my current yukon in and will never purchase another GMC product knowing they do not stand behind there vehicles.
  • littlewoodylittlewoody Member Posts: 2
    Glad to discover this forum. I thought I was alone with this problem. My wife is scared to death to ride with me anymore, fearing that the feared "Engine Power Reduced" message will flash up once again telling us what we already know!

After having the both the throttle body and the ECM (both rebuilt) replaced by my local garage due to first a complete failure to idle and then a rough idle and this issue, I took it to my local GMC dealer. After having it for 3 days they still couldn't 'duplicate' the 'condition'. I volunteered to show them exactly what happens upon the first start-up of the morning. Sure enough, happened with the 'technician' in the truck less than a mile from the dealership. Could they fix it? Did they even indicate that they had done something as simple as perform the search I just completed on the web? Of course not! They printed out the trouble codes for me and washed their hands like it was Easter and I was you-know-who. But at least I have most of a vehicle to drive. My service display gives me these codes about, oh, ONCE A DAY!

Please, someone from GMC, get in touch with Brogden in Olathe, KS and tell them what's going on here. If there is a fix, will you please let me buy it? Or are you keeping your dealerships in the dark on this issue? Is this some sort of poison-pill secret corporate-level-planned-obsolescence built in to these trucks to get us to trade up to a newer model? Well, it won't work in my case. I'm on a fixed income and this is my last SUV, ever. I'm sick of it and my wife's scared of a truck she used to love because it has such great seat heaters.
  • littlewoodylittlewoody Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Laura M. Please read my post of earlier this evening (587). If there's a fix for this, I need it before I try to pull my 32' trailer to AZ with my '03 Denali. Thanks.
  • djswifey618djswifey618 Member Posts: 1
    Has someone found a solution to this because the GMC dealer keeps charging me money to "fix" the issue but it's still happening. If everybody is having the same issue, then clearly it's has to be an issue with the vehicle and a recall should be done! It's very dangerous and I have been afraid for my life many of times because of this issue. The GMC dealer replaced my throttle body, no such luck. Took it back and they replaced some ground wires, still no fix. Took it back a 3rd time and they said it was my TAC module, they replaced it, still NO FIX! Each time costing me hundreds of dollars! I refuse to keep taking it back paying money and it's not solving the issue! Isn't that illegal? I'm confused on how you make a vehicle, but you have ZERO idea on how to fix it when something goes wrong. And clearly it's not a one person issue, so it's something faulty in the makeup! I'm so irritated! Any suggestions? Has anyone that had this issue, fixed theirs completely?
  • jeffnocojeffnoco Member Posts: 4
    The only solution I have found is to buy Ford. You're right, this should be taken care of, but it isn't and it's dangerous. GM's answer is to put some very nice social media reps on this forum in hopes of keeping people calm. We still have our Tahoe, but replaced my Silverado with an F150. The Tahoe will be the next to go to a Ford.

Good luck djswifey.
  • datsamoredatsamore Member Posts: 10
    I tried everything!!
    I didn't get any very nice social media reps contact me!
    I too, had to (guiltily, because I had to give someone else my problem) trade it for a Toyota.
    I couldn't take it any more!
  • zwupzwup Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact problem here. I thought when I could not start it at all that it was related to the security system. The security light stays on and cant lock or unlock doors unless the key is in and on.

Usually resets between half an hour up to two hours.

Tonight it went into reduced power mode. I made it home about 3 miles from town but live in a mountain area. I was down to 15 to 20 miles an hour and lucky to not get hit. Well maybe it would be better if I get pasted then I can junk this piece of crap and by a real vehicle. NOT GM!!!!

I have been GM almost 100% but after seeing how they build cars now no more GM for me....

I have had it at dealer and 4 outside repair shops... so far about $1500 in and it is as bad as ever.
  • icensteelicensteel Member Posts: 1

I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche with high mileage. This reduced engine power issue started to occur about 6 months ago. The issue would seem to take place in spurts. It wouldn't occur for a few weeks and then it would happen several times over a few day period. My wife wouldn't drive the vehicle so I became very adept at removing the battery cable waiting a few seconds and then reattaching. This would always correct the issue for a while but became very annoying as it would seem to happen at the most inconvenient times.

The issue started when the vehicle had about 175,000 miles on it and at 197,000 miles I decided to order the direct replacement throttle body from Rockauto. I didn't decide to change the throttle body until I read all of the comments listed here. It seemed to be the most logical fix for the 2007 model year as compared to many who have had the wireharness type of causes. The throttle body cost me $167 including a new gasket (which you won't need) and shipping. The replacement is very easy and took me 30 minutes to do myself. I'm writing this now after almost a full month of no issues. Since my vehicle has high mileage, the replacement of the throttle body which was relatively dirty has improved the responsiveness of the vehicle. So far so good... If anything changes I'll post another note.

• nukstrnukstr Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2013

FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM:
    "SERVICE STABILITRAK",
    "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
    "HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
    "STABILITRAK OFF",

"TRACTION CONTROL OFF"

CAUSE:

FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.

SOLUTION:
    DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
    CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
    CLEANED INJECTORS-
    RESET COMPUTER-
    FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp)

TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86

REFERENCES
    (STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): http://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2010-silverado-stabilitrak-question-47580/
    (AFM)-Definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management
    (ETHANOL): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ethanol_fuel_mixtures
    (GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

• hockeyrefhockeyref Member Posts: 3

2003 Denali XL, 195,000 miles. Problem same as everyone else here. without warning, check engine light, reduced power and stability system shut down. code 1516. can clear DTC code to resume, but this is a HUGE safety issue.. Cleaned throttle body, added additional ground strap, check TB wires...nothing has corrected problem. GM is at fault here and they know it...contact me if info needed for possible class action. I'll participate.

• jessebell82jessebell82 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    hello all ive have to battle with idling around for weeks in my 03 2500 silverado and reduced engine power and after reading from these pages in this site ive finally figured out my issue! it was the combination of both the pedal and the module it plugs into. now she runs great I just want to thank you all for posting up your solutions
  • lalaleezalalaleeza Member Posts: 10

Ok, I have a 2004 Tahoe LT and have had it for several years. I love it. I have never had a problem with it until the last few weeks. While driving down the road it will give you the dreaded "reduced engine power" message. It is intermittent and will not do it all the time. I am experiencing the same issues as every other poster on here and it will idle down to a crawl and will not accelerate. Well, last night I went to the river to do a little gigging. I couldn't get up the boat ramp!!! Every time I went to accelerate, it would roll backwards toward the river!!! I have had it looked at a million times, and no one can tell me how to fix it and what to do. I am assuming GM is aware of this issues because this thread was started YEARS ago. Why has there not been a fix yet? I am concerned because I am a single mother of 3 young boys and CANNOT have this dangerous problem continue with my children in the car! I am scared to drive it and it now sits in my driveway which is a real problem because it is our only vehicle!! What do I need to do?! I don't think a known problem should be put on the consumer if GM knows and has known about this!! I need help!

Ok, so I called the GM consumer complaint line and was given a "Case number". The woman told me on the phone that there was no active recall on this issue however "special coverage" was issued for the year make and model of my vehicle. She also said that because I was not the first owner of this vehicle that the special coverage did not apply to me because I was out of the perimeters of the coverage. All she could do was set me up an appointment at a GM dealer but I would have to pay the diagnostic fee. I have already done that several times and each time they tell me that my car is not "throwing a code" so they cannot tell me what is wrong. This is highway robbery. I am a single mom of three that invested in this vehicle because of Cheverolet's reputation of safety and longevity for the safety of my children. I got the error message again today to bring my children to school and crawled into the parking lot late and at about 4 mph. No one can seem to tell me what the problem is to fix it. If GM has known about this problem enough to issue "special coverage" then why are they so willing to just turn a blind eye. GM knows that they have a problem and will not fix it. I am beside myself. The lady on the phone told me to purchase a new vehicle if I can't get it fixed. Well, if I cannot afford a diagnostic fee every week I sure as hell cannot afford a new vehicle. This is ridiculous! The safety of myself, my children and others is at stake here. No one at GM will own up to the fact that they have an issue and won't fix it. Billions of dollars of yours, mine and every other tax payers money was used to bail out the auto industry yet they stand by and tell you there is nothing they can do to fix it. The CEO and CFO's of these auto makers are making millions of dollars per year yet I make just enough to scrape by for me and my children and yet they sit there and do nothing. I am sure that they even get their choice of BRAND NEW VEHICLES every year to drive around while I am stuck trying to drive around a car that is malfunctioning because that is in my budget. I took GM's word on their reliability of their vehicles, and safety and longevity of having a "Chevy" for "generations". THAT MY FRIENDS IS JUST FLAT OUT FALSE ADVERTISING..... If anyone knows how to fix this issue without costing me thousands please any info would be great. I just need my reliable car to be just that.... reliable!

edited January 2014

Update: Replaced Throttle body this weekend. $165 with shipping from Amazon...so far so good, been error code free with HWY driving. checked all wire harnesses while truck was running, pulled, wiggled etc...no code. keeping fingers crossed.

FY Folks, a inexpensive scanner can clear the p1516 and any other DTC's to keep you running. This is not a fix but will allow you to resume normal operation once the code is cleared. well worth the investment and has saved me thousands in diagnostic reading fees and towing.

• tesbartesbar Member Posts: 1

We have a 2010 GMC Yukon and just yesterday experienced the REDUCED ENGINE POWER problem!!! So far it has been our first issue with the vehicle, and from what I am reading we have the potential to have many more issues. I cannot believe there is not a recall on this matter. I am lucky enough to have been close to home when it occurred as many were not. We are an active family with four young boys. We chose this vehicle for both the size and what we thought was safe.

• jordan40jordan40 Member Posts: 109

i would do an engine over haul. but with young kids that might be the worst choice. i would get a chevy suburban any year i think its a bit bigger, some what safer and no problems that i know of. i own three. one is a 2010 one is a 2012 and the other is a 2013

@lalaleeza said:
    Ok, so I called the GM consumer complaint line and was given a "Case number". The woman told me on the phone that there was no active recall on this issue however "special coverage" was issued for the year make and model of my vehicle. She also said that because I was not the first owner of this vehicle that the special coverage did not apply to me because I was out of the perimeters of the coverage. All she could do was set me up an appointment at a GM dealer but I would have to pay the diagnostic fee. I have already done that several times and each time they tell me that my car is not "throwing a code" so they cannot tell me what is wrong. This is highway robbery. I am a single mom of three that invested in this vehicle because of Cheverolet's reputation of safety and longevity for the safety of my children. I got the error message again today to bring my children to school and crawled into the parking lot late and at about 4 mph. No one can seem to tell me what the problem is to fix it. If GM has known about this problem enough to issue "special coverage" then why are they so willing to just turn a blind eye. GM knows that they have a problem and will not fix it. I am beside myself. The lady on the phone told me to purchase a new vehicle if I can't get it fixed. Well, if I cannot afford a diagnostic fee every week I sure as hell cannot afford a new vehicle. This is ridiculous! The safety of myself, my children and others is at stake here. No one at GM will own up to the fact that they have an issue and won't fix it. Billions of dollars of yours, mine and every other tax payers money was used to bail out the auto industry yet they stand by and tell you there is nothing they can do to fix it. The CEO and CFO's of these auto makers are making millions of dollars per year yet I make just enough to scrape by for me and my children and yet they sit there and do nothing. I am sure that they even get their choice of BRAND NEW VEHICLES every year to drive around while I am stuck trying to drive around a car that is malfunctioning because that is in my budget. I took GM's word on their reliability of their vehicles, and safety and longevity of having a "Chevy" for "generations". THAT MY FRIENDS IS JUST FLAT OUT FALSE ADVERTISING..... If anyone knows how to fix this issue without costing me thousands please any info would be great. I just need my reliable car to be just that.... reliable!

if you want take it to your neiborhood repair shop not the big dealership. you woll get to know the mechanics and might get discounts.

• littlejimmy1littlejimmy1 Member Posts: 2

I have a 2004 Yukon Denali and am having similar problems with the reduced engine power issue. Mine do differ in that it doesn't happen while driving or at least not so far. Last night we drove about 120 miles to my daughters game and it ran fine all the way there. After about 3 hours we went to start it and come home and it immediately went in to the REP mode and the stability issue also. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and then started it up and the same thing happened. I ended up leaving it sit and we caught a ride home with friends. The issue has happened before but always disconnecting the battery has got it going again. While thinking about it on the trip home I realized that I had used the cruise control last night and the previous time that it happened. I never use it but for some reason I was talking and with out thinking set it and did not even think of the problem. Also when it goes into this REP crap the dash says I driver One, for the last couple months it has said driver Two and I had no problems. I only have one set of keys so I know it should stay on one of the setting and not change between them. Last summer on a trip the ac decided to blow hot on the drivers side but worked every were else and the heated seats would come on the driver side, I could turn them off but they came back on at random times. That for some reason stopped happening.
    I have done all the experiments that I can find on the web and have replaced both hubs and sensors, replaced ground wires....does any one else have an idea? I am driving back this am to hopefully get my Yukon back. It stinks going an extra 300 miles on a Saturday and not being able to say I can fix it in the end.

it might be a bad regulator on the cruise control. i would get that checked. until then dont use it. and the heated seats probably had a short in the wiring. the wires are probably disconnected or cut. id have to see the suv to make sure. but i think i am correct

• rachelv87rachelv87 Member Posts: 1

I too have a 2007 Yukon XL. The car has been a lemon from the get go. Ours ate oil like crazy for a year(only 2 years old at time with less than 50k miles). Took it to several different dealerships, fought with the very unhelpful GM service reps for close to a year, kept getting the run around about how it was normal for a car(even a new one), to eat several quarts of oil between regular oil changes. Don't know how I finally managed to get them to take responsibility for the issue, but ultimately my local dealership was given the go ahead to fix the issue. Took them 5 weeks, and they rebuilt the whole engine. I should mention that the transmission also failed at 28k miles, can't even recall what they had to do to it. After the engine problem, we decided to park the thing and use it very sparingly. Weather has been bad here in Missouri and have needed a 4 wheel drive. Start driving it more regularly and now we have this exact same problem, with the Service Stabilitrack, reduced engine power. Then the vehicle completely shuts down. This has the potential to be a very deadly issue and reading all of the posts in this thread, I am really concerned with the chances of this being handled fairly. When I called my GM service dept, they were very well aware of this issue, but could not find that my VIN # was approved for this apparent fix that GM is offering to do? They want $100 to diagnose(O'Reilly already did that for free) and then will throw me to the wolves at GM to fight it out. We are not in a position to throw hundreds or thousands of dollars at an issue that GM is apparently well aware that they have. I just can not believe with the thousands of people having the same problem that they have not voluntarily issued recalls and offered to rectify it at their expense. I Filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and hope that everyone else does too!

@rachelv87 said:
    I too have a 2007 Yukon XL. The car has been a lemon from the get go. Ours ate oil like crazy for a year(only 2 years old at time with less than 50k miles). Took it to several different dealerships, fought with the very unhelpful GM service reps for close to a year, kept getting the run around about how it was normal for a car(even a new one), to eat several quarts of oil between regular oil changes. Don't know how I finally managed to get them to take responsibility for the issue, but ultimately my local dealership was given the go ahead to fix the issue. Took them 5 weeks, and they rebuilt the whole engine. I should mention that the transmission also failed at 28k miles, can't even recall what they had to do to it. After the engine problem, we decided to park the thing and use it very sparingly. Weather has been bad here in Missouri and have needed a 4 wheel drive. Start driving it more regularly and now we have this exact same problem, with the Service Stabilitrack, reduced engine power. Then the vehicle completely shuts down. This has the potential to be a very deadly issue and reading all of the posts in this thread, I am really concerned with the chances of this being handled fairly. When I called my GM service dept, they were very well aware of this issue, but could not find that my VIN # was approved for this apparent fix that GM is offering to do? They want $100 to diagnose(O'Reilly already did that for free) and then will throw me to the wolves at GM to fight it out. We are not in a position to throw hundreds or thousands of dollars at an issue that GM is apparently well aware that they have. I just can not believe with the thousands of people having the same problem that they have not voluntarily issued recalls and offered to rectify it at their expense. I Filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and hope that everyone else does too!

this problem is very serious. why gm is not helpful i dont know. i will ccheck all data for any recalls

• travelingnursetravelingnurse Member Posts: 11

Everybody needs to call the NHTSA and file a complaint. This is a huge safety issue that GM is not addressing!! 1-888-327-4236. My 2008 Impala cut out on me yesterday on the highway,, " Reduced Engine Power",, scared the heck out of me. And of course GM says they know nothing about this issue. Really?? Looking into a lawyer for a class action law suit,, this is ridiculous!!

it is this is rediculous. put a scanner to it and put the trouble codes on the forum and ill put them in to all data

I don't know what you mean,, put the scanner to it???

some shops and people have these scanners that you hook up to the vehicle. if you look under the dash on the driver side you see this connector. you hook the scanner to that connector and the trouble codes will show up.

• biffthebassmanbiffthebassman Member Posts: 1

TSB # 11-06-04-007C explains it all. Call your local GM dealer and ask him about it. There. Done.

Better idea biffthebassman

@biffthenassman. That sure doesn't explain much to me because I have an 04 Tahoe. The posting you put is for 2008-2011.

do ya have the same problem

i just got my first 2007 Yukon. and it had the reduced engine power message. when i got home i went into my shop and hooked the scanner up. could not find anything. So i am taking the engine out and putting a 72 chevy suburban engine in it

@rachelv87 said:

I am doing an engine swap with a trusty late 70's chevy suburban. if you dont have that vehicle i would take it to a local shop that knows you, and ask them to do an engine rebuild. i had this happen to me a few times. my used 2007 yukon has the same problem. so i have it parked in my garage next to my subuurban. hopes this solves the problem

@lalaleeza said:
    biffthenassman. That sure doesn't explain much to me because I have an 04 Tahoe. The posting you put is for 2008-2011.

go to google and search: Technical Service Bulletins for 2004 Chevy Tahoe

Yes I have the same problem and it isn't easy for me to just change out the motor or even get it fixed because no one can narrow down the problem to tell me what to fix. I can't afford to "try" to replace several parts to see if that fixes the problem. Someone at GM needs to narrow it down already and find out what the exact problem is so that I can fix it and be done. I am a single mom of three boys that purchased this vehicle for 14000! First someone said it is the throttle body. Then the throttle body harness. Then check the stabilitrac. Then check the cruise? I can't replace all of these things and hope one of them is the problem!! GM is doing owners of these vehicles a huge disservice by knowing that there has been a problem all along. It is a deadly problem when on the highway and needs to be addressed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

@lalaleeza said:
    Yes I have the same problem and it isn't easy for me to just change out the motor or even get it fixed because no one can narrow down the problem to tell me what to fix. I can't afford to "try" to replace several parts to see if that fixes the problem. Someone at GM needs to narrow it down already and find out what the exact problem is so that I can fix it and be done. I am a single mom of three boys that purchased this vehicle for 14000! First someone said it is the throttle body. Then the throttle body harness. Then check the stabilitrac. Then check the cruise? I can't replace all of these things and hope one of them is the problem!! GM is doing owners of these vehicles a huge disservice by knowing that there has been a problem all along. It is a deadly problem when on the highway and needs to be addressed.

Hello lalaleeza,

We definitely recognize your frustration with this situation, and apologize that you are still experiencing issues with your vehicle after all this time. We would be more than happy to set up a case for you within our system and look into a possible resolution to your concerns. If interested, please message us your full contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

Amber N. I already have a case and I was told there is nothing GM will do or can do to help. I am not the first owner and the mileage is over the "special coverage" that the previous owner/owners never fixed because this issue has been sporadic. The special coverage doesn't cover past a certain mileage. Just because this problem that GM has known about for YEARS didn't happen with the other owners and is happening now means I am out of luck. GM prides itself on durability and the "legacy" of owning a Chevy like my great grandad, my papa, and my father but that is just really just a way to sell more vehicles. GM won't stand behind this problem and it is potentially deadly. So my 2004 Chevy Tahoe sits in my driveway and I walk my children to the store because my sporadic problem has now become to bad to do anything about and I cannot fix it because no one (including the GM dealer) knows the real problem. Throttle body, throttle body harness, cruise control??? Who the heck knows. For now we walk. Thanks GM!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hi lalaleeza,

Thank you for providing a few additional details. I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way, and certainly understand your dissatisfaction with this situation. If you are still interested in having this repaired at the dealership, I would be happy to locate another dealership in your area and stay involved throughout the repair process.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

The cost is outrageous. I cannot afford to go to another dealership so they can tell me that they do not know exactly what the problem is. As I stated before. There are so many "potential" parts it "could be". I made an appointment. I had a diagnostic and was told that there was nothing wrong. I drive away irritated that I just paid to have someone basically tell me I had no problems and 15 minutes into my drive going 65 mph in the highway home BAM! There goes the problem reducing my speed from 65 to 4!! I don't understand how GM can know there is an issue and just turn a blind eye?!! Must be nice to be selling vehicles for millions in profit every year but when is owners have a problem, there is no explanation and no help. Your welcome GM EXECS for paying your salaries!! While I set my car in the driveway and walk, you go out to your fancy parking spot with your name on it and get into your new car and drive away without the worry of having a potentially deadly crash or accident with children in the car. Until I can actually afford to fix my car or buy a new one, it sits and we walk. By the way, walking is awesome fun in the winter with 3 little boys but thanks!!

I heard on the news this morning that GM has a recall out now for a faulty ignition switch,, call your local dealers people. Not sure if this is related to OUR problem, but worth a shot.