Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• vgxvgx Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2014
    Didn't take long to track it down and I was able to speak with the service department that worked on it. Turns out it was just a bad odor and they couldn't fix it by replacing hoses or cleaning it so they ended up taking it back after a few failed tries. He said it was like a bad coolant smell, so the leak makes more sense. If it's still around next week I may look at it closer and let it run for a bit to see if the smell comes back.

Thanks again to both of you for your feedback. Quick follow up, though. What would my SRT be worth on trade? (Still looking for a low mileage truck sometime this spring)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    edited January 2014

@vgx
    My experience with these reports is that they can be missing things or depending on the way things are written up can minimize reporting.
    I had a car that had the IP replaced with one that had guessimated mileage. It was listed as 'checked'.
    Same car, a bunch of the left front suspension was replaced due to damage, but I paid out of my pocket.
    Never showed up on the report.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

post the VIN here and maybe someone can take a look for you

Sure thing. It is 1C6RR6LG6DS704567.

Pretty much what you were told on this truck. Interesting though that it was bought back only 2 months after purchase and has yet to re-sell. I'm not sure this truck is such a risk otherwise, if the odor has been eliminated--the reports clearly state that an "odor" was the problem, not an accident. Lesson learned? If you need to bail out of your loan, stick a dead squirrel under the back seats. (just kidding).

Ha! Well that's a little more reassuring, though I'm still not sold on the truck (and let's be honest, there is no shortage of trucks out there).

That being said. If I decide this truck is worth the risk after driving it and getting the wife's opinion, what should I be targeting for price? 30% off original sticker? (as stickguy suggested)

Also, KBB lists my SRT around $36k currently. Is that a fair price to expect, or should I be aiming higher?

Really, really appreciate everyone's feedback! :)

I can only present you with the golden rule "Whatever got you into a car cheaply when you bought it, will come back to haunt you when you sell it".

Sage advice. Thanks.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936

@vgx said:
    Ha! Well that's a little more reassuring, though I'm still not sold on the truck (and let's be honest, there is no shortage of trucks out there).

That being said. If I decide this truck is worth the risk after driving it and getting the wife's opinion, what should I be targeting for price? 30% off original sticker? (as stickguy suggested)

Also, KBB lists my SRT around $36k currently. Is that a fair price to expect, or should I be aiming higher?

Really, really appreciate everyone's feedback! :)

$36k isn't totally unreasonable, although they would probably be more comfortable in that $34-35k zip code.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oddie14oddie14 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2014

What is fair trade-in value for a white 2011 Odyssey EX-L RES with 31k miles, clean condition in Orange County, California?

$21k-$22k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146

Have a 2007 white Toyota 4rinner, V6, 4WD, SR5, 101k miles, all dealer service up to date, one owner, very good condition, recent brakes and tires. Looking to trade in for another similar 4Runner, only with a V8 as I am looking at trailer towing. What kind of a deal could I expect to make ? Thanks in advance !
    Regards, DQ

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

Hi DQ,
    Don't think that you'll just pay for the difference in engine price. A dealer will take yours in at wholesale trade in value, and sells theirs at retail, so you'd be looking at several thousand dollars in price difference.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Thanks, boomchek; I know I would be trading at wholesale and buying at retail from a dealer. If I recall, the upcharge from v6 to v8 at original MSRP was about $1200. Wondering if there was a premium for the v8 now. As a starting point would like to know approx trade in value for my 07

edited February 2014

really tough to pin this down as I'm dealing with a small sampling. I think you could expect about $11k on yours and maybe pay around $15k for the exact same with a v8.

I have a question: how much towing difference is there between the two? And how heavy of a trailer are you looking to tow?

I went and answered some of my own questions. 7k lbs with v8 and 5k lbs with v6.
    However, it is only about 20 hp and 40 lb-ft difference between the 2 engines. I'm willing to bet the real difference is in the rear suspension, as that minor power difference is not going to get you near 40% more towing capacity. Hell, you could put an intake and exhaust on the V6 and come pretty darned close to the v8 power levels.

My advice is to beef up the rear suspension for a few hundred bucks and leave well enough alone.

Good advice q, truck has been problem free for 100k and I know how it has been maintained. Will explore the upgrades. Was looking at small travel trailers and while the tow rating is 5k I wouldn't want to go right up to the limit. Thanks again.
    Regards, DQ

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308

@newdavidq said:
    Good advice q, truck has been problem free for 100k and I know how it has been maintained. Will explore the upgrades. Was looking at small travel trailers and while the tow rating is 5k I wouldn't want to go right up to the limit. Thanks again.
    Regards, DQ

The V8 might include a towing package, larger radiator, cooler for the transmission, limited slip rear end. From some quick research, I couldn't find anything about the difference between the 2.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

I did some reading and there is mention of a trans cooler and different suspension, as well as a weight-distributing hitch IF you got the factory tow package. The first two are fairly easy to replicate and most likely for far less money than trading cars. I have no idea what the tow package means in the real world.

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

Instead of trading I'd just spend some money beefing up your current 4Runner, especially if you had it for a while, and are familiar with it, and isn't causing you trouble. Also evaluate how often you need that extra heavy towing. Maybe it's just cheaper to rent a full size SUV for that occasion if it's only a few times per year.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

An extra trans cooler is an excellent idea.

Thanks everybody. In the past I've regretted trading in a known quantity for a new shiny unknown one (Grand Prix to a Jaguar} Think I'll keep this one for a few more years!

• clm8clm8 Member Posts: 56

I'm looking to get a trade in value on a 2008 Acura RL with Navigation. 54,000 miles, clean condition, no accidents or dents. Cincinnati area. Thank you.

roundabout $13.5k-14k.

• seank2seank2 Member Posts: 79

I have another estate which I have been appointed to administer, with some fine automobiles that I need to put values on. Location is Brunswick, Georgia, on the coast between Savannah and Jacksonville, FL. We have:

2009 Kia Spectra LX
    4 door sedan. White over grey cloth
    39,6xx miles
    4cyl, auto
    AM/FM/CD with iPod connection
    side airbags
    No other options, which means it has crank windows, no power locks, no cruise, no slider, nothing else.
    Thoroughly average in every way. Never garaged, looks like a 5 year old car.
    To make it even better, the decedent and her sister were both heavy smokers, so it has been well smoked in.

The second one may be harder to value, and I'm not sure it even runs, as it has been sitting for a good while. But, for arguments sake, let's say it runs and drives.

1995 Chevrolet Camaro
    6 cylinder 5 speed manual
    140,202 miles (I presume its 140, as it has a 5 place odometer, and I was told it had rolled over "at least once")
    "ticket me"red over gray cloth
    T-tops, which don't appear to leak
    a/c, power windows and locks
    all the usual features.
    This also has sat outside for its entire life in the tropical south. So, no rust, but not well preserved either.
    Also well smoked in.

Some real winners, I realize. What say the masters?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518

I say crush them both. So I may not be the best person to ask

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Stick, I don't disagree, especially since I'm the one who has to deal with selling them. But I have to put a value on them for the court, and then I can deal with unloading them. The papers I've found show she owes something like $6500 on the Kia, so it may go back as a voluntary repo, because even though it's February and everyone is getting their tax refunds around here, and buying cars, this one might be a hard sell.

The Kia's exact twin just went through Dallas auction at a whopping $5100.

Camaro is worthless. Scrap value to a dealer. They are selling at the auctions for mere hundreds of dollars. Private party? Ask $1200 and take anything over the aforementioned scrap value.

I would have guessed 5k on the Kia after a good airing and detail and 1k tops on the Camarillo if it does not run and drive.

Thanks, Q. That gives me something to go on.

@qbrozen said:
    The Kia's exact twin just went through Dallas auction at a whopping $5100.

Camaro is worthless. Scrap value to a dealer. They are selling at the auctions for mere hundreds of dollars. Private party? Ask $1200 and take anything over the aforementioned scrap value.

Dang, I was close, since I posted my guess before yours came through.

she owes money on that thing? oh boy.

I'd put the Camaro at $1000 and the Kia at around $4500, as is, where is. If you detail the hell out of them, make it $1200 and $4800.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968

Folks need to just not smoke in their vehicles...it stinks them up and that smell is really hard to get rid of. Shame folks don't care for their vehicles...I see it in how they treat the rental cars at the Hertz Local Edition I work at. Folks seriously trash these nice rentals and think nothing of it...I've found chicken bones and other assorted food stuff just left in these vehicles while these folks just walk away as nothing is wrong here. Makes me want to wring their necks because of their lousy attitude of something they just rented and do not own.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@sandman_6472 said:
    Folks need to just not smoke in their vehicles...

Sandy, I agree, but in this case, and most others, I don't get the choice. And you think a smoked in car is a hard sell. You should see (smell?) the house. 13 years occupied by two, 2 pack a day smokers. You can literally see the smoke and nicotine in the house. Plus there's the seven (I think, I lost count) cats.

The public administrator gets all the good stuff.

Yes, Q, she appears to owe money on the Kia. I secretly hope it might just "disappear" one night with the repo man.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

The Kia will always smell like an ashtray. Who would buy it?

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Another smoker!

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited February 2014

In the car business the term is "Smoked Out" and despite what people will tell you, you can NEVER get that odor to completely go away. Fabrese seems to work the best.

Worse is a strong dog odor or a car that has had milk or a latee spilled on the cloth seats.

We had to wholesale a couple of otherwise nice trades because of this.

Far worse than anything is the guy I know who went crabbing with some friends and somehow, a bag of crab got left in his trunk. He actually junked the car.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    edited February 2014

My buddies wife spilled a half gallon or so of milk in his 98 Grand Prix (and it set in for several hours). I helped him tear out the carpet, power wash it, clean the floors etc. On a hot summer day you could still smell it slightly.

When we first met my wife was a smoker. She occasionally for a few months smoked in her Elantra (always with window open). After she stopped smoking I cleaned the heck out of it, and actually got rid of any smell. I can't imagine a car that was smoked in heavily and the ashtrays used, etc.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I'm working on an appraisal and could use some input:

It's a 2011 Chevrolet 2500 Express Cargo Van, 41,000 miles--it got smacked in the rear to the tune of $4,600 damage.

Question: If we presume a current retail value of say $16000, how much less would we have to sell the vehicle for, ( if anything less) once we reveal the accident that occurred (or once CARFAX shows "real end collision")?

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Hard to say. Some potential buyers will be scared away. Others will use that as leverage in an attempt to steal the car and others simply won't care.

4600.00 sounds like a lot of damage but given what parts and body shop labor are today, it's really not a lot of damage.

I don't expect the "discount" would be huge on $4600 damage, but it would have to be something don't you think? If we use the classic argument here:

Two identical vans, side by side, both pristine looking. Only difference is one has a sign on the windshield that says "former rear end collision, $4600 damage, repaired very well".

It seems reasonable that one would have to sell for less than the other?

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    It's a 2011 Chevrolet 2500 Express Cargo Van, 41,000 miles--it got smacked in the rear to the
    tune of $4,600 damage.

Total humor mode on - It's a Chevy Cargo van. Haven't they all had at least $4600 worth of damage to them? Your's has been fixed - that's an upgrade IMHO.

Well you bring up a good point---perhaps the used van buyer is not as fussy as the used car buyer?

exactly what isell said, of course.

For the purposes of getting an appraisal done, I'd say anywhere from 10-20% hit, depending on how it looks now and exactly what the carfax says.

Okay thanks guys! I'm more used to evaluating collision damage on higher line cars--when you smack a Ferrari or Porsche to the tune of $30,000 damage, the value really does take a big hit.

• whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190

I have a 2014 Nissan Murano that we purchased near Thanksgiving. It has 1800 miles as of today.
    I HATE having a black car. I am hoping I can trade it in and get the same car in a different color without taking much of a hit. I would consider a demo if it made it even.

Murano SL AWD with leather and Nav. I had them install remote start as well. Car is still perfect but it is always dirty (winter) and even before the snow it showed every smudge. I am in South Jersey. Any ideas on trade-in value or what a dealer might be able to do for me?

I think the rebates when I got it were better than they are now. I want a silver or blue but would even take white. I don't know if black is more desirable as far as the dealership goes and whether that would help me. We financed only 10k and we can pay it off early, so that's not really an issue.

I'm going to post this in the the prices paid forum also and see if anybody has any helpful ideas there as well. Thanks!

I would say you are going to have to look at another used one to not be many K in the whole. Remember, trade at wholesale, buy at retail. At least if they are effectively swapping one used for another, they might do it for a smaller delta, but at least 1K? for their trouble.

my guess, once you see the #s, finding a good car wash is going to look like a much more attractive option.

If you could find a good car wash for $10 a week, you would be so much further ahead than trading in, even after 5 years of washes!

Hey, I had a wild idea! How much does it cost to "skin" a car, and how durable is that?

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

Wrapping a car is about $1500.

I'm hearing that 2-3 years is about longevity, then you peel it off and do it again. Maybe not such a bright idea I had there....:(