Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford News

15678911»

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

It's not that they don't care - they'd love to be #1. But they're not willing to sacrifice profitability to do it like they used to. They'd rather sell 25K Fusions at $30K than 30K at $27K.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

A reporter would like to speak to a new car buyer under 40 years old who purchased their car because of the connectivity features. Did you buy a Ford because of Sync and MyFordTouch, a Chrysler because of UConnect, a Honda because of HondaLink, etc.? If so, and you'd like to share your story, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than 3 p.m. PT/6 p.m. ET on Monday, 1/7/14.

"Mulally’s candidacy to lead the world’s largest software company threatened to overshadow Ford’s new-vehicle introductions such as the F-150 pickup and raised the risk of internal strife among his deputies at the Dearborn, Michigan-based company."

Mulally Bows Out of Microsoft CEO Race, Staying at Ford (Bloomberg)

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Since Mulally could have done this earlier, gotta wonder if he wanted the Microsoft job but didn't make the cut? Regardless, he has been good for Ford and I think Ford will continue to be more fun for him than Microsoft would have been anyway. And maybe now he can get rid of the Microsoft involvement in My Ford/Synch?

Not the way it works. If MS approached him about being CEO then the job was his if he wanted it. Either they never actually offered him the job or he turned it down. Either way he wants to clear up the uncertainty for investors and employees and customers.

Payback for not hiring Mulally?

"Ford Motor Co. plans to ditch Microsoft Corp. for Blackberry Ltd. for future upgrades to its Sync voice-activated system." (Detroit News)

Apparently many auto mfrs are going with QNX. My guess is its a lot cheaper/easier to license. QNX was purchased by BB and will survive regardless.

@akirby, the news today is that Ford is dropping Microsoft for Blackberry. Existing cars using My Touch will continued to be offered "improvements".

But will Blackberry be around in a few years? I know they have refocused from cell phones, but there's lots of competition out there in software.

No worries, Microsoft will buy them out. :D

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666

Ford’s Hero Mulally To Depart

http://247wallst.com/autos/2014/04/21/fords-hero-mulally-to-depart/

A report at Bloomberg News cites people who asked not to be identified saying that the 68-year old Mulally will step down before the end of this year. Mulally has been credited with turning the automaker around, but his flirtation with Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT) late last year was not well received by some who saw it as a distraction from Ford’s business.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,065

@dieselone said:
    I think Mulally has done all he can with Ford and it probably is a good time for him to leave. He's helped Ford through the tough times and he's imporved internal efficiencies and seems to have put the company on the right path. I don't see him as a car guy though. I think it's time for Ford to find a more product oriented CEO. I don't know if Mays is that guy, but he is more product oriented than Mullaly who's strength is in operations and leadership.

The next step is to fix Lincloln. A tall order. That's one area Mulally hasn't had an answer for. What he did with the Ford brand has been successful, but they need to go in a different direction for Lincoln before it's to late.

I think Mark Fields is going to be tapped to be the next Ford CEO. Also a product guy.

Here's the thing - when you take over as CEO do you 'stay the course' with the direction the previous CEO set, or do you try to 'make your mark' with a new strategy?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729

Yeah, I said Mays originally, but he's retried and I think it's going to be Fields.

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666

I think that Fields needs to invest heavily in Lincoln. It will be the line in the sand for new tech and street cred vs. Caddy/BMW/Merck/Audi. No more re-badging.

• dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729

I agree. Warmed over Fords has got to stop.

They do need to invest in Lincoln and they've already stopped the rebadging. But they're going to do it methodically, not by spending billions up front and not turning a profit for years like Cadillac. Street cred is great for enthusiasts and media but it doesn't pay the bills. What did years of trying to compete with BMW get Cadillac? Bankrupt. And the ATS/CTS combined are barely outselling the old CTS. Go after the volume sellers first then the niche vehicles.

Except, sometimes a well designed niche car is what gets people interested in the volume sellers. I'm thinking something like a highly styled Continental may be just what Lincoln needs to get buyers into their showrooms.

I just don't think niche cars bring people to the showroom unless they intend to buy one. It's not like the 60s where you could only see them at the dealer. People know what they like or don't like before they set foot in the dealer in most cases. It certainly doesn't hurt but I think having good volume sellers is more important.

edited April 2014

I see your point, the Internet has certainly changed things. But it just seems to me that Lincoln needs an image makeover. Some of the newer products are in the right direction, but I think it needs a "Wow" vehicle to get attention from all of the other lux and near lux out there. Kind of like how the Mark III pumped it back up for awhile in the late 60's.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792
    edited April 2014

I agree, berri. Volume is important, but it's that "wow" that is going to spark interest in the brand as a whole. Personally, I think they could do well with a highly modern "retro" interpretation of the iconic Continental (complete with suicide doors - with some safety enhancements, of course!). I'm confident Ford could pull that off well. They flubbed the T-bird, but followed that up with the Mustang. Not only did it revitalize that nameplate, but the modern muscle car era was born that day.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Needing a WOW vehicle is way overrated. All you need is great products whether it's a $40K crossover or a $80K uber sedan. Cadillac made the XLR - didn't do a thing for regular sales.

You might be giving Cadillac too much credit calling the XLR a "WOW" car! Some of the Continental Marks yes, XLR I don't think so. I always thought of it more as modern Pontiac does a Caddy and tries to rip off MB, but in a cartoonish manner.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143

I always saw the XLR as kind of a Corvette in a designer suit. Cool in its own way, but still some sketchy interior quality, and like berri said - yet another attempt by Caddy to compete with the MB SL.

The big boys in the luxury world all have a high spec luxobarge (or two) at the top.

Ford profit driven down by North America, warranty costs (Reuters)

Incentives are up, 16 new models are getting launched, warranty reserves are up, the loss in Europe is down, the loss in S. America is up and China sales are doing well.

Ford is taking some risks between all the new models and tech changes. Hopefully it works out for them. My repair experiences with their products in the past weren't all that different than GM. Maybe a little nicer interiors, but then worse legroom for tall drivers. I've not liked all the touch crap and lack of buttons on the Ford product rentals I've had recently either.