Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• glsableglsable Member Posts: 77
    michy2 mentioned in a post earlier about a cabin reverberation. Any update?

Does anyone know if this is caused by the engine mounts not being synched to the engine vibration modes?

Does it get better as the engine mounts age?
  • fclspatfclspat Member Posts: 61
    I can't believe it, but for 2003 the horizontal cargo bars are part of a option package on the XL SLEs (they were standard on my '00 SLE). Does anyone know of anyone selling them... or does anyone have a part number?

Many thanks for any leads.

Happy 4th and God Bless America!
  • ocwaveocwave Member Posts: 4
    I am planning on driving my 1992 suburban with 167000 miles on it from maryland to Florida,about 1800 miles round trip. Is it worth while to have the Suburban looked over by my machanic before I go.
    I do most maint my self but this truck is not new
    and frankly I'm a bit scared to take it on a LONG trip such as this.
    Any advice would be helpfull
    thanks
  • palsauspalsaus Member Posts: 4
    We are planning to purchase a 1500 LT Suburban tommorow and would love any input on what the best price might be. The first round was left at invoice + $4,000 in rebates. However as far as I can tell they are leaving me short $695 for the onstar rebate. I understand that the GM rebate is now at $3,500, plus $500 for a non GM car. With these two rebates plus the onstar rebate, I should be at $4,750. I am noticing alot of dealerships offerring $10,000 off MSRP. With these rebates I am still about $300 short of this. Any suggestions as to what offer I should take to the table tommorow.

I am trading in my 1999 LT. It has been a great car. Will be kind of sad to turn it in!! I am also getting the factory installed drop down DVD. Is there any benefits to installing a system after factory.

Thanks for any information. I have already learned so much on this message board since I found it last night!!!
  • 4burb4burb Member Posts: 55
    Just and FYI since you post the sidebar 2 as a question, my dark gray LT is an 02 and the side moldings, etc mentioned above are all the same color. I think it is only the black and blue ones that have the black rubber items.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    I would recommend having a mechanic do an inspection every 12-24 months even if you do your own maintenance. Never hurts to have a second set of eyes looking everything over!
  • shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    Those are interesting thoughts... I think it was an LT, given it had all of the LT "stuff" - power and heated seats, powerfold mirrors, etc., but I must admit I am perplexed by the reports of dark grey with painted moldings... probably just another screw up at the plant. That Mexican-built Suburban must have been put together on a Friday after Siesta!! Another thought is that it was wrecked in transit and repaired... who knows - at least I don't have to fret over it anymore!

palsaus: Invoice price minus those rebates is very good, BUT YOU should be getting the benefit of the $695 OnStar Rebate, not the dealer. Also, depending on the value of your trade-in, you probably are better off taking the 0% 5-year financing instead of $3,000 rebate (our trade was $17,000 and I know that 0% saved more than $3,000). Also, I would definitely recommend the factory RSE DVD - it works beautifully and is very nicely integrated into the vehicle and the sound system. Aftermarket systems almost all use FM modulation to play sound through the car stereo (we had this in our Expedition - not as nice), do not look as nice, and give you a 1-year warranty instead of the factory 3-year/36K warranty. The only benefit to aftermarket in my mind would be the ability to install the player itself in the dash - which if you have small children (who aren't old enough to operate the player in the back seat) would be extremely helpful.
  • cruiserlustcruiserlust Member Posts: 19
    Hi all, I'm about to purchase a 2003 Yukon XL. Can anyone give me a heads up as to what kind of things they try to sell you at the end (undercoating, etc.) and are any of them worth it?
    When we bought my wife's car, they had already ethced in the Lojack? numbers on the window before I even knew what it was!
  • 13b13b Member Posts: 7
    cruiserlust, I received a quote on an YXL with custom crome wheel flares. Dealer offered to take them off, and lower price. Of course windows cannot be un-etched. I my case, I just ignored things like seat protection, pinstripe, and undercoatings added to MSRP and used the invoice as baseline from which all talk of price starts. Lots of dealers out there willing to sell w/o add ons. I received several price quotes in relation to invoice, and not one mentioned charging for add-ons. I figured they took it out of the dealer prep charge.
  • refereeguyrefereeguy Member Posts: 20
    My Z71 with 2700 miles on it started making a odd noise over the weekend. Doesn't matter if it is in park, or driving down the road, occasionally a noise that sound like squeaking brakes erupts for 5-10 seconds at a time.

Nothing I can do to make it happen.

I hate to have to bring it in so soon. Has anyone else heard something like this?
  • squadmansquadman Member Posts: 4
    Let's see, where do i begin? Oh yeah, I've been deployed away from my family and in harm's way defending our way of life for the past 20 years. Some of my comrades will never return to their loved ones and two of you have the gall to complain about a measily $750 rebate from a mega-corporation? Next time you watch TV from the comfort of your home, think of what our troops are doing in such garden spots as Kuwait, Iraq, Somalia, Korea, Liberia...you get the picture. Those like you who have only served their own self interests will never know how blessed we are in this great country. You've a problem with $750...give me a break.
  • fclspatfclspat Member Posts: 61
    you are 100% correct. military folk are our most valuable asset. IMO $750 is a slap in the face. They should sell to the military at the employee rate.
  • joebasjoebas Member Posts: 20
    and I also say Thank you........
  • palsauspalsaus Member Posts: 4
    Shieatt, Thanks for all of your information. Got my rebate and your points for the factory DVD made a lot of sense. Happy trails.
    13B, many thanks for the input.

I bought the YXL today. SLE with towing, buckets, sunroof, adj. pedals, premium sound.
    It was 9,578.00 off sticker. Doesn't have OnStar so I wasn't eligible for that rebate.
    It's Carbon/Grey. I love it, and no running boards, hurray!
    I'm back and have settled down since I took a hit from the anti-military dudes. Need some feedback from you Suburban Pro's out there!

I've wangle a deal for 03 LT w/DVD, trailering, cargo pkg, liftgate, skid plates & lock diff.

MSRP=46584; Inv=40659. The dealer's offer (w/discounts--$3500 cash, $750 mil, $695 OnStar, $500 Conquest)= $38,096.
    After doing my math and figuring his invoice minus holdback, I'm going to offer $36,900.

Am I on the right path or too stingy?
    By the way, I'd like to thank fclspat & joebas for showing support for the military. Those words of thanks and encouragement really mean a lot to us service folk. We're just like the rest of you, except that our lives have been devoted to our country: whether it's for three years or thirty years.

God Bless America!
    13b,

what is the GM card cash? I applaud your ability to get $8100 below invoice...with all of the stuff I know (discounts, holdback, bogus fees), i can only legitimately get down to $4500 below invoice!

Let's hear your tips!!
    The rear door locks on my brand new Yukon XL will not operate automatically, just manually.
    I thought for sure this had something to do with the child lock feature, and or the preferences in the Driver Info Center, but I can't figure anything out.
    I hate to put it in the shop already. Has anybody else had this problem?
    Thanks
  • kawazar1kawazar1 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 1994 Suburban that I purchased from a family friend. They thought they would be nice and have a couple of things touched up on it before we bought it. The shop repainted the trailer hitch and painted over the factory sticker with the weight rating. Could someone look at their hitch for me and give me the weright ratings on the label? My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a camper. They told me it is the factory hitch. Also did the Sub. come with different size hitches? Because this one is rather large. The truck is a K1500 and from what I could make out the door sticker shows about 7000 to 7500 GVWR.
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    The rating on the factory hitch far outclasses what you can actually tow. IIRC, the stated tow capacity for a K1500 is 6K assuming you have the 3.73 rear. But this max is for a bone stock K1500 with just a driver-no passengers or cargo. So, when you go shopping for a camper, look seriously at the weights (not the wishful thinking they put in their brochures, look at a real model equipped with options). Pop-ups and hybrids aren't a problem, but look at travel trailers with a weight around 4K-4.5K with options.
    Also, replace the rear diff fluid with a good synth fluid.
    Happy Camper Hunting
  • kawazar1kawazar1 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the help! We were actually looking at the hybrids but my wife wants something bigger like around 25ft or more. A friend just bought a 25 or 26ft that only weighs 3800 lbs. He tows that with his Toyota Tacoma. Which I think is a bit much for that truck. Does anyone think I should add a trany cooler asside from the one that runs thru the radiator?
  • 13b13b Member Posts: 7
    squadman,
    GM card cash is cash earned towards purchase of a new GM vehicle. Five percent of charges from a GM Mastercard are added to this account. In may case, I could earn up to $500 per year for a max of seven years. You keep earning past 7 years but only last seven years count up to $3500. I had $3150 in my account plus a $200 promotion that I used. Few years ago GM changed the rules to remove the $500 per year cap, however imposed total maximums depending on vehicle. I opted to stay with old rules. That's best I can remember. See gmcard.com for more details.
  • 03tahoe03tahoe Member Posts: 83
    I see a couple things in the wiring diagram that could be your problem:
    2.In the "Instrument Panel Fuse Block" there is a
      Rear Door Lock Relay and a rear door unlock relay.
      Switch them to see if your trouble clears. Be gentle and see if
      those relays just plug in. I think they do.
    3.There is a "Door Lock Actuator" which may have
      gone south. They do show up on the wiring
      diagram as having a circuit breaker which could
      also be defective.
    1.There is a 20 amp fuse for locks in the I.P. fuse panel but if this
      were blown both functions would be dead. If you can`t lock and can`t unlock this should be your trouble, unless you have bad wiring or connectors. With trucks there are chances for several things to cause a end trouble. Hope this helps.
  • 03tahoe03tahoe Member Posts: 83
    As stated above, my #1 solution for the failure of your rear doors to operate automatically would be a blown or defective "DOOR LOCK" 20 Amp Fuse.
    There are two Yellow 20 Amp fuses located side by side in your Instrument Panel Fuse Block. The "DOOR LOCK" fuse is the one closest to the outside edge of your fuse block. Just about all auto parts stores will have these fuses in stock but there may well be a spare in your fuse block. Just check the diagram on your fuse block cover.

The "Instrument Panel Fuse Block" is located near the drivers door at the left hand edge of your Instrument Panel. You will notice a mark at the bottom forward edge of the panel where light outward finger pressure will cause the panel to pull off.
    Hope this helps. Please advise.
  • realmccoy1realmccoy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have pretty much set my mind on getting a new LT Suburban. I am not trading anything in and am going to choose the 0% finance option. The vehicle I am wanting has a MSRP of $46,209 and an Invoice Price of $41,348. Right now the dealer is saying that his best price out the door is $39,500. Is this a pretty fair price or can I do better? I have talked to about three other dealers on identically equiped vehicles and no one else will beat this price. Thanks for your replies.
  • hawk248hawk248 Member Posts: 27
    I own a 2 Dr. 96 Tahoe w/ over 120K miles and 5.7 4X4 engine. I took a Denali XL and Yukon XL for a 24 Hr test drive on two consecutive days.

Both are fine vehicles and drive fantastic. But I was surprised about the mileage I got. On a full tank, Yukon XL had burned 1/4 of the tank for about 100 mile Hwy + City driving. DXL seemed little better for the same type of driving - a little over 1/8th of the tank.

But I got the best mileage on my old Tahoe - less than 1/8th of the tank. My 96 Tahoe consistenly gives 18 miles/gallon on City+Hwy driving, and since the last tune-up, I think I am close to 20 mpg.

I realize that the size of tank has a lot to do with how far the guage moves. I am deciding whether to buy a DXL or YXL. Does any one know more realistic mileage difference between the two? It seems that YXL w/ 5.3 should do better than a 6.0L DXL, plus the weight difference in favor of YXL.
    realmccoy1 - It sounds like you are getting a very good price... I don't think you can ask for much more than invoice minus available rebates combined with 0% financing. Those are the terms on which we just bought our Suburban. The only profit the dealer is making at that point is the holdback money GM gives the dealer to help finance the vehicle while on the lot - which isn't all that much. I would go for it - I don't think you'll do any better.
    Around here on a high-option LT you can get $7000 off MSRP, plus you get all the GM rebates that you qualify for ($3500 rebate + $750 mil + $695 Onstar + $500 conquest + $500 recent grad ...). All together that totals $11,945 off MSRP.
    squadman: I didn't mean to get you all tweaked, but re-reading my post I wasn't very specific. My comment wasn't aimed at those who were actually in combat (or those that have family members who were in combat, as it is certainly just as hard on them). Anyone that has been in Agfghanistan and/or Iraq and/or [fill in the blank] you deserve my thanks and a lot better than $750.
    glsable
    Ooops (I can't add). That's $12,945 off MSRP if you qualify for all the rebates. Unfortunately for me when I bought mine the rebate was only $3000 and I also missed the $695 Onstar.

With only the $3000 and $500 conquest rebates I paid $37,400 for an LT that stickered at $48,400.

squadman: I think you should be able to beat my deal by another $1945 with the new rebates! Good luck!
    I think you can expect the DXL to get about 2 mpg worse than the YXL/Suburbans because the Denalis & Escalades have AWD and 6.0 motor standard, whereas the YXL can run in 2-HI mode.

It would have been interesting to set the "personal" or "business" trip computer to record your test drive on each vehicle. That way you would have not only had the fuel gauge reading but the miles driven, average mileage, average speed, and gallons used.

I think the EPA numbers for the Tahoe are about 1 mpg better than the Suburban, but I don't know how much of that is weight and how much is the 4.8 vs. the 5.3.
    (from the G Online Ordering Guide)

Deletions
      Exterior color Light Pewter Metallic (11U)
      Exterior color Indigo Blue Metallic (39U)
      Exterior color Redfire Metallic (72U)
      Front passenger door lock cylinder
      (PF4) 16" machined aluminum wheels
      (NG1) Emissions, NY or VT state requirements

New Features
      Right front passenger seat belt reminder
      Tire pressure monitor (UJ6) on 1/2 ton models
      Exterior color Dark Blue Metallic (25U)
      Exterior color Silver Birch Metallic (59U)
      Exterior color Sport Red Metallic (63U)
      16" Cast aluminum wheels (PF9)
      17" 5-spoke aluminum wheels (P25), includes 16"
          steel blackwall spare
      17" All-season, blackwall tires (QAN)
          P265/70R17
      17" All-season, white outlined-letter tires
          (QAS) P265/70R17
      Hydroboost brakes on 1/2 ton models

Changes
      1SJ Equipment Group Changes: (A95) Cloth buckets seats and (PDH) Driver Convenience Package are not available.
      1SK Equipment Group Changes: (AL4) 2nd row bucket seats are not available. (UC6) 6-disc CD changer changed from standard to available. (UB1) CD and cassette is the standard radio.
      1SL Equipment Group Changes: (PDQ) Personal Security Package has been deleted. (UE1) OnStar is standard.
      1SM Equipment Group Changes: (PDC) Cargo Package, (PDH) Driver Convenience Package, (U2K) XM satellite radio and (Z82) Heavy-duty trailering equipment are standard.
      Traction assist (NW7) includes Heavy-duty locking rear differential (G80), except with 4-wheel steering (NYS) which requires Heavy-duty limited slip rear differential (G86)
      (NE1) Emissions now include Massachusetts, Maine, New York or Vermont state requirements
      (PDZ) Heavy-duty trailering equipment now identified as RPO (Z82)
  • rjn20rjn20 Member Posts: 1
    shieatt, Where did you get this deal, rebates plus 0% financing?
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    2001 Denali XL and love the vehicle. My daughter with two little children and a 1999 Tahoe needs more room to haul around strollers, etc and wants the Denali. I am considering the YUkon XL 2500 with most of the goodies available on the Denali. I like the idea of the 8.1 liter engine. I am surprised that it is not available with the Quadrasteer, wonder why?

Does anybody have a new 2500? And what will i notice that is different from my Denali? As i said, I am getting most of the goodies, suspension, 6 cd changer, etc. My major concern is that the ride may not be as smooth as the Denali XL.

Any input would be appreciated,
    Thanks
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    ...did you get a deal of over $12K off MSRP... sounds like you w*rk for GM or have a GM supplier's discount or some such 'thingy'..

like to know what dealer is giving that much off??...
    the 2004 Yukons be hitting the dealers showrooms.

Unless a "really" good deal can be made for a 2003, it might be wise to wait for the 04's

What is the opinion of the group?
    rjn20: I may have been somewhat unclear. I know that if you take the 0% you lose $3,000 rebate. But when we purchased you still got $500 cash bonus, plus $695 OnStar rebate, plus $500 Conquest rebate. Those are the ones to which I was referring.

larry91: I think the answer to your question depends on how long you are willing to wait. If you want to buy in the next several months, I would definitely go for an '03 and take advantage of all the incentives/rebates and 0% financing, which are not being offered on the '04s as of yet and no guarantee they will be offered in the near future. Also, there are no material differences whatsoever between the '03s and the '04s, so no real reason to hold off. The only exception is the ability to get both the RSE DVD and the Sunroof together, which you can't get on an '03 (you have to choose one or the other).
    Do u know anything about the difference in ride quality between the Denali XL and the Yukon 2500 if one takes the optional Suspension package?
    larry91: I'm not completely sure the answer to that question, actually, but here is my guess: The Denali, which comes standard with Autoride, will give you a better ride. The Denali and the 2500 YXL have the same, bigger, engine, but I am pretty sure the 2500, even with the optional Autoride suspension package, has heavier duty leaf springs which give a firmer ride. Of course, I believe that same firmer suspension will allow you to tow a bit more, so you may want to give up a bit of ride comfort for more towing capacity. At the end of the day, unless you are planning on towing something big and heavy, I would go with the Denali. Not only smoother ride, but also more luxurious, and with full-time AWD and Stabilitrak (great safety features).

I could be wrong in my analysis... anyone else want to jump in on this?
  • degcpadegcpa Member Posts: 1
    what should i expect to pay for an '03 chevy suburban LS, with leather seats and second row captains chairs. local dealers are offering the usual 3500 rebate/0% switch. i am in south louisiana
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I thought it was available on all 2500 SUVs.

There will be a ride difference between the DXL and 2500. Try both and seehow much. Make sure the 2500 has autoride and 4 wheel steering (if you want it) and check the tire pressures furst.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    i just need some help with a PCM for a 2000 suburban. i was asked to get this part and i'm just trying to find out what the following numbers mean and if anyone know how much would this part cost, approx.? is this a dealer item only or i can buy this from any parts store?

CMUF-09360615, SERVICE # 16263494 WHITE
    86CMUF3491462EUL BLACK
    CMUF-2531527 (308587)

thank you.
  • 4burb4burb Member Posts: 55
    "Denali and the 2500 YXL have the same, bigger, engine"
    If I'm not mistaken the engine breakdown goes like this.
    Sub/YXL 1500 - 4.8 or 5.3 liter
    Denali and XL - 6.0 liter
    Sub/YXL 2500 - 8.1 liter
    Actually, I think the 6.0 liter is the standard engine on the 2500s, while the 8.1 liter is optional. But, good point, you can't get an 8.1 liter engine in the Denali.
    understand the GMC designers way of thinking.

The 8.1 liter engine IS NOT available with the Quadrasteer. I would think that is the combo it was designed to be used with, towing???
    larry91: I agree. I loved the Quadrasteer on our test drive vehicle, but mainly for its fantastic parking lot maneuverability. I wish it was available on a 1500 (of course without the rear fender flares and the cab roof lights). Probably better that it is not available since I think I would choke on the $4500 price!
    Note the equipment changes on the 2004 LT models (trailering package, cargo package and XM are all now standard). I'm not sure how this will be reflected in the price, though.

Also the standard Suburban wheel will be the 5-spoke cast aluminum wheel from the Avalanche (and that is optional on the Silverado).

The GM Online Ordering site now has pictures of the new colors (silver birch, new red, new blue) and the wheels

errerr: thanks for the website address!
    (see his earlier post)
    stakeout: I got $11,000 off MSRP and have no connections to GM. The dealers (both GMC and Chevy) here in No. Virginia were advertising $10k of ANY Suburban/YXL in stock, so getting to $11,000 wasn't that hard. Now that the rebates are up another $500 plus $695 for Onstar (and military and recent grad rebates are additional) I would think the dealers would pass these along since they come out of GM's pockets, not theirs.

You could also get the $10k off the base LS models too, which theoretically is a better deal.
    the pricing is pretty hefty.

I have a 2001 Denali XL with 32000 miles, and am thinking of letting my daughter have that vehicle( that's her suggestion, not mine) and getting an XL 2500 with all the goodies. The more i think about it tho the LESS I like the idea. Sooooo, I will probably just stick with the Denali, which I really enjoy driving, tho the 8.1 liter engine has a lot of appeal to me. Think I will take a cold shower and let it pass. The depreciation on that type of vehicle is Staggering. Of course, all these GM incentives don't help keep the value up either.