Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• jvigiljvigil Member Posts: 2
    Just today I was driving my Denali on the freeway and it just died. I had no power or anything. I coasted down the off ramp and made it to a safe spot. Has this happen to anyone? The tow truck driver thought maybe it was the fuel pump. Any advice would be great. It is at a shop right now and they are going to look at it in the morning. Thanks!
  • moznickmoznick Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 (old style) Tahoe that simply died on me several times--always in cold weather. After several futile trips to the dealer, something in the transmission was changed and I have had no more problems. The dealer who fixed it said there was a bulliten on it. I don't know if that helps you at all, but hope it does.
  • richphillipsrichphillips Member Posts: 36
    Has anybody heard if 04 will bring a Duramax Diesel/Allison Burb? Thedieselpage.com has a blurb about it, but I'm locked out with password problems and can't access it. It'd be nice to have a tower, that'd actually fit in my garage.
  • lbcmanlbcman Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a Yukon XL Denali last week in L.A. County. $3100 below invoice with no other price incentives; opted for the 0% financing rather than the $3K rebate (figured that I might as well use the General's money for free). No haggling; that was the sale price offered by the dealer. My wife just loves it, especially when compared to the piece of **** Windstar that she had been driving the previous three years (don't blame me, it was her choice). After experiencing the power of the 320 hp engine, she can't believe that she had gone without a V8 her whole life. If I am lucky she just might let me drive it once in a while.
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    driving my wife's '01 Suburban( I also have an '01 Z71) about a month or so ago on a limited access highway not too far from our house.. same thing happened..

called my local dealer's svc mgr..he said it most likely was fuel pump.. said to call Chevy Roadside assistance.. what a waste of time..after 10 minutes of giving info on the cell phone , said their computers were down.. why bother.. luckily we are AAA members .. called them.. had a local AAA tow out there within a half hour.. towed me home then to the dealer.. AAA to the rescue..

before I made the calls I tried putting in a new fuse .. blew that one too... the dealer replaced the fuel pump.. said he's heard of it before..

not a good feeling moving along at 60+ mph and all of a sudden .. nada.. luckily not a busy highway that morning..

looks like one of those defects that Chevy won't acknowledge until there are a bunch of accidents... :(
  • dxccp140dxccp140 Member Posts: 6
    I'm interested in purchasing a 03 ykxl Denali, and have been reading your post regarding at or below invoice deals. What are the names of the dealerships you all have been using, because my local dealer is telling me nothing below $1k over invoice.
  • mredickmredick Member Posts: 1
    I have about 5K miles on an 03 Z71 and when turning the wheel at low speeds (like pulling in and out of a parking space) I occasionally hear a "whining" noise. Not like a belt but more like "metal on metal" that needs lubricated. Not being very mechanical, I was unable to properly explain to the dealer and of course they could not replicate the problem. Anyone else having this?
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    the same noise and have had it for 33,000 miles and 27 months of driving the vehicle. I don't know what it is, but they tell me it's not serious, and I am ignoring it. Suggest you do the same :-)
  • openydopenyd Member Posts: 6
    I can't seem to find a dual exhaust system that will exit behind each of the rear wheels. I have only found systems that exit on the passenger side only. If anyone has any info, please let me know.
    Rick
  • gogolfgogolf Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed that the fog lights on my truck shake a lot when driving over even small bumps. I thinks this makes the truck look cheap. I've noticed the same issue with other Burbs and Tahoe's. The lights appear to be spring loaded and the dealor said it was normal. Has anyone come up with a fix? Any suggestions would be helpful
  • p93659p93659 Member Posts: 2
    Is this true? Wouldn't this mean that a '03 Z71 with an MSRP of $46K would sell for $36K?

Glsable, could you give us the name of your salesman who gave you $11K off of MSRP?

Maybe I will buy a new Suburban and not wait for the Duramax diesel engine.

Thanks!
  • yukongoldyukongold Member Posts: 20
    Can anyone tell me if there a turning assist is available? I rented and 03 Suburban that had an incredible turning radius - better than my 01 Yukon. Dealer in my area doesn't know much about it. I will be buying either an XL or DXL so any comparisons or thoughts on those are appreciated.

Thanks
  • walter3rdwalter3rd Member Posts: 12
    I love this vehicle, but here are a few nagging problems I'm having. Hopefully, somebody else is experiencing the same and can share their experiences. I have the 2003 LT with just about every option available.

Problem 1: "Service Autoride" light keeps coming on. I have it at the dealership today to be fixed for the third time. The vehicle is still under warranty, but this is really annoying and inconvenient. The ride difference with Autoride not functioning is very obvious.

Problem 2: Tripped breaker for driver's power seat and heated seats. I'm not referring to the fuse, but the breaker in the panel under the steering column to the left. Somehow I figured out that pulling the breaker out and putting it back in resets it. The dealer can't figure out why it's tripping. Doesn't happen very often, but again, it's annoying.

Problem 3: This is the hardest one to explain. It's one of those things where you can't describe the noise to the dealer, and they say they'll take it for a ride and listen. OF COURSE, they NEVER hear the noise. I'll do my best to explain it. There is a noise coming from the right-hand side of the windshield area that sounds like rain hitting the windshield. It only starts at around 65 MPH and becomes louder and faster as speed increases. As I go from 65 to 80 MPH, it's as if I've driven into a downpour...the sound is that obvious. I tried turning off the A/C, radio, etc. but it's not that. I have no clue on this one, and the dealer doesn't either. Best I can guess is that the sound is occurring outside the vehicle because I've tried everything I can inside, like pressing on panels and the windshield.

Thanks.
  • circutmanncircutmann Member Posts: 40
    Problem 3 is most likely the exterior windshield moldings along the sides of your windshield.
    My 2001 YXL had that problem, it sounded like popcorn popping. The popping increased as the speed increased over 50 MPH. My dealer knew immediately what the problem was & corrected it on the 1st visit, by applying sealant under the mouldings. Good luck. Dave
    Thanks Dave.

Here are the results of my service:

1) They couldn't find the problem, but moved the AutoRide wiring harness to a different location because it was "getting wet."

2) Couldn't find a problem.

3) Didn't hear the noise.

This is the 3rd time I've had the AutoRide serviced. According to Lemon Law docs I signed at purchase, I'm entitled to a new vehicle or a refund after the 4th attempt. Anyone have an experience in trying to make a Lemon Law claim?
  • circutmanncircutmann Member Posts: 40
    Walter, It sounds like your problems are more the dealer, rather than the vehicle. The "Service Autoride" light should set a code in memory, that can be verified & diagnosed. My dealer always has the service tech supervisor drive or ride with me, to understand any problems that I seek correction for.

So far, I am completely satisfied with my dealer's ability to diagnos & fix problems acurately, the 1st time, & I have had a few, including correction of the famed "piston slap" problem.

I don't have any experience on the Lemon Law claim aspect. If you truly love this truck, as I do mine also, you might try a different dealer for service. Good Luck! Dave
  • glsableglsable Member Posts: 77
    p93659: Yes, that is what I mean by $10k off (but I think you should be able to do better than that now).

I have seen ads from the following dealers in No. Virginia with $10k or more off MSRP:
    Pohanka Chevy in Chantilly
    Sterling Chevy in Sterling
    Koons GMC in Vienna (Tysons Corner)

The last ad I saw a couple of weeks ago was for Koons GMC with $11,300 off any YXL in stock.

p.s. I didn't see the Duramax on the options list for '04s Suburbans. Did I miss it?
    walter3rd: Just out of curiosity is your Autoride failing with the shocks set on stiff or soft? And hopefully all 4 are on the same setting!
    Dave--Make no mistake, I love this truck. Although I think it's unlikely that I'll ever have to go the "Lemon Law" route, if I did I would ask for a new Suburban, not a refund. Besides, I have 4 kids, so it's not like there are too many choices out there.

glsable--how do I check the setting on the shocks? Is it something that I can adjust myself?

Let me add an additional potential problem to this discussion--one that I completely forgot to ask the dealer about. Occassionally, after starting the vehicle and driving a mile or so, there is a strange noise coming from the engine compartment. It's pretty loud--I can hear it over the radio. It's very hard to describe. It sounds like an air compressor kicking on. If you've ever heard the load leveling system activate in the rear of the vehicle, it sounds like that. However, I don't think there is any system like that in the engine compartment--could be wrong. Also, this only started happening recently (around 10k miles) and doesn't happen everytime. Perhaps it was related to the AutoRide.
    Just a call from my wife...the "Service AutoRide" light is on again!! We just got it back from the dealer yesterday, for crying out loud.

We're contacting the 3rd party that helps with Lemon Law claims. This is roughly a $1200 option and it's rediculous and inconvenient to have to take the truck in so often.

Wish me luck. All I want is a Suburban with no problems--or, at least those that can be easily fixed under warranty.
  • 13b13b Member Posts: 7
    Did first oil change at 1350 miles in 03 LT 5.3L I could not believe how dirty the oil looked. Was prompted after reading msgs about metal and chemicals in oil in the first 3K miles. I plan to change again at 3K and every 3K after using castrol. Any better suggestions?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can't really tell how dirty oil is by looking at it, although I always smell mine when I check it when I fill up and often rub a dab between my fingers <g>. Only way to really tell is with an oil analysis, and even those are subject to interpretation.

Steve, Host
  • williamk2williamk2 Member Posts: 1
    I have '02 Suburban and recently purchased an aftermarket 6 disc cd changer. Can anyone tell me where the factory installs them? It will not fit in the console box between the seats. Under te seats in the back, causes it to be crushed when the seats are down. Can anyone help?
    williamk2: You might check out the GM Accessories catalog. I saw several GMC YXLs with the cassette/CD in the radio slot and a 6-disc changer in the big slot at the front of the center console (just below the power outlets). Looked like a nice fit. On Chevy LTs the cassette/CD is replaced with the 6-Disc Changer. I wish the GMC arrangement was available on Suburbans since we miss having a cassette player.
    walter3rd: I don't know that you can tell the setting externally, other than the car would wobble diagonally if one of the shocks was at a different setting than the others. Perhaps the mechanics can tell?

Sorry to hear about your problems. The Autoride is the one option we did not get on our '03 Suburban LT that I was perhaps regretting, but with the problems you are having you are making me feel better! A friend with a Cadillac Eldorado with similar electronic shocks was "shocked" (sorry about that!) to find out that they were $800 each to replace, so get them fixed under warranty!
    I see that there is now an additional $1000 GM Owner Loyalty bonus for current GM owners (an alternative to the $500 Conquest bonus for non-GM owners). I don't know if this is additive to the $1000 Oldsmobile Owners bonus (since they are discontinuing Oldsmobiles) for a total of $2000 for Olds owners?
  • p93659p93659 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply glsable. I have emailed the Northern Virginia dealers you mentioned and I'll post their offers when I receive them.

No Duramax for 2004 although it appears it will be an option at some point in the future.
  • nellcoopnellcoop Member Posts: 30
    I am currently researching new tires for our 2001 Suburban. We live in New England and the Firestone LE's are horrible in snow with 4 wheel drive. Have been given a few brands and really need advice. I am looking for something with a more "bite" in tread and wonder from other owner's what they have and like. Brands suggested are: BF Goodrich Rugged Trail(saw some reviews that they slip and slide in rainy conditions), Toyo Open Country (reviews are good) and saw reviews for Michellin LXT which were also good but the Tire place never gave me that brand (not sure I have initials in right order) Thoughts, advice, ideas? Need help.
  • csi35csi35 Member Posts: 28
    Suggest you buy Michellin Cross Country Tires.

They were standard on my 2002 Denali and go thru snow like hot knife thru butter.
  • upststedonupststedon Member Posts: 3
    Good Morning,
    Anybody have knowledge of what might be causing vibrations at 67-75 MPH.

Tires are in good shape as far as tread, and have been rotated and re-balanced.

Did the brakes myself two years ago, including new rotors

One bad u-joint was found and replaced.

My local garage guy cant seem to find it.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    A couple of the front suspension components have been known to wear prematurely. The pittman arm and one other similar part, I think. A good front end alignment shop should be able to eliminate these items.
    I'm back from vacation and just wanted to provide an update on the "issues" I'm having with my '03 Suburban.

First, the AC belt broke while on vacation--not good in 95 degree heat at the Jersey shore. Took it to a local dealership and they fixed it for free. Turns out that the noise from the engine compartment that I was hearing was the belt. Unfortunately, I didn't know that until I got a new belt, drove away from the dealership, and heard the same noise. I popped the hood and watched the belt while my wife revved the engine. The belt was squeeking and the AC compressor was vibrating--I guess that means the belt is not aligned properly.

I took the truck in again today to have the AutoRide serviced for the 4th time--they will look at the AC belt too.

As for the windshield noise...turns out it was the bra I installed on the front of the hood. It was changing the aerodynamics of the car and causing a little rubber piece to flap in the wind. Not sure what the piece is for, but there are two of them, at each corner of the hood, near the windshield. Removing the bra solved the problem--unfortunately, I wasted about $100 on a bra I can't use.

In other news, I'm following Lemon Law procedures for Maryland and sent a letter to GM requesting a replacement vehicle--we'll see.
  • shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    Man, what a nightmare! Good luck with GM. I have found them to be completely unresponsive.

As I mentioned a while back on this board, we purchased a 2003 Suburban, the badging on which indicated it was equipped with Autoride... but later discovered it wasn't so equipped. I complained to the dealer and directly to GM. GM was a joke. Their responses took a week and every time it was just the same form letter response: "Please be aware as our dealers are independently owned and operated we may not get involved in sales issues. The options your vehicle comes with are considered a sales issue, and as such must be resolved directly with the dealer."

I was infuriated... they built the car and claimed it had a $1200 option that it didn't have, and they condsidered it a "sales issue" that they wouldn't get involved in!!!! Anyway, the good news is I picked a great dealer because the sales manager found me another truck with the options I wanted, picked it up 300 miles away, sold it to me on better terms, and let me return the first one with 1000 miles on it! Now that is good customer service... but GM itself was EXTREMELY disappointing.
  • sskirsskir Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a new suburban to replace my expedition (I just need more room for kid stuff). I am in the snow occasionally (in the dry western US). my 2x expedition has a limited slip rear end which handled a snow storm very well. I see the suburbans have a locking rear differential or Stabilitrac or 4x4. Any suggestions on which option might best handle snow driving?
  • wavehowaveho Member Posts: 31
    Openyd, I posted earlier regarding info on dual exhaust for Suburbans. I purchased a 2002 Z71 recently that was at a local auto auction and in turn purchased by a local GMC dealer. The dealer only realized that the Burb had dual exhaust when I pointed it out; it was an aftermarket add-on. I originally wanted to know what, if any, improved performance a dual exhaust can add; perhaps you can tell me. Mine does have exhaust pipes on either side, behind each rear wheel, so it can be done. It has low-profile pipes and is not ostentatious at all; i.e., from the back it looks like any other Burb except that it has a tailpipe on both sides. It has a lovely burble sound, but I can't really tell if it is actually more powerful or faster than other Burbs. However, my preference would be to have both pipes on one side, due to the increased interior noise at higher speeds. This is because, obviously, there is pipe reverberation on both sides, causing a noticeable increase of noise in the 2nd and third rows.
  • wavehowaveho Member Posts: 31
    SSkir, I would suggest that you look into the Z71 model Suburban for the best in snow and loose gravel. I tried out the Denali XL with the 6.0 and full-time auto 4x4, which was nice, but you lack the lower gears. The autoride autoleveling feature is sweet (notwithstanding the problems documented elsewhere on this board), but I'm not sure that it is available for the Z71). The regular 5.3 Burbs are nice too, but I don't believe that you can get rear auto-locking diff on any other model that the Z71. This is a great function; making the Z71 virtually un-stuckable (unstickable?). The Z71 has the locking rear diff, larger standard wheels, off-road tuned suspesion unique to the Z71 which is noticeably tighter than the LS or LT, and underbody skid plates. It's the best model for offroading or snow (provided that you have high-end tires, but that's true for all SUVs). My opinion, but hope this helps!
  • pilkopilko Member Posts: 22
    Was the Cabin air filter deleted for MY 2003?

My Yukon Denali XL doesn't seem to have one.
  • 4burb4burb Member Posts: 55
    Just an FYI, I have an 02 Sub LT 4X4 and it has the locking rear diff and skid plates (I think they are part of the off road package available on the 4X4 models). I added the 17 inch wheels and tires off a Z71 (friend of mine put aftermarket on the day he bought his Tahoe and sold me his cheap). The only thing my LT does not have is the suspension the Z71 has but then again it rides smoother on the highway with the regular suspension. I liked the Z71 but my wife was opposed to it in 02 because it was an LS with the Z71 package and did not have heated seats. She will not have leather in the winter without heated seats. The 03 is an LT with the Z71 package so I would probably go that route now although I like my charcoal gray burb with the Z71 wheels, it looks different from all the others.
    I posted about replacing my Firestone's earlier but after having a conversation with my brother who is very knowledgeable about cars, he suggested that we just get a set of snow tires for our 2001 Suburban. I live in CT and we go to VT often. The Firestone's with 4 wheel drive are the pits in the snow. Do I go for all new tires like the Michelin Cross SUV Terrain or would it make sense to buy a set of snows? And if so anyone recommend any particular snows that they have and like? How would the snows be on the highway? Thank you for any help that can be provided.
  • shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    We recently purchased a 2003 LT. It is true that the LT can be had with the locking rear differential and skid plates (each a separate option) and it is true that Autoride is not available on the Z71. Autoride is very nice, but as far as I know is of no help in snow driving.

If I were buying for driving in ordinary snow (i.e., not blizzards, etc.), I would definitely go 4WD with locking rear differential. I actually don't think Z71 vs. LT will make much of a difference, if any. Z71 is half marketing - different wheels/tires, color-coded trim instead of chrome, Z71 badge, different roof rack, etc. It does have a firmer suspension and more off-road oriented tires, but I don't think these will help much in the snow and you do give up a bit of ride quality. On the other hand, even though we got an LT, I would have to say the Z71 looks a bit cooler.
    Anyone had any experience with the 2003 end of year sales on Suburbans and prices? My friend had a bad accident in her 2001 and they are looking to take advantage on the 2003 end of year prices. She is outside of Philly but may buy in Delaware. I looked into it and think that she could get a "loaded" 1500 LT for $37,500 after their incentives. Am I off, close, could she go lower?

Another question for experienced Burban or just car buyers...coming off of a 2001 lease with a buyout price of $23,000...having turned in a Ford Exploder for $15,000 towards lease and already made about $10,800 in payments does it make sense to buy out the lease on the 2001 that has 37,000 miles and lease will be up in January so it will be close to 45,000 or to buy (NOT lease...ever again I may add) a new 2003? Never done a lease before and need advice as to what is the best move. Seems to me to buy the 2001 but then after another 3 years to finance let's say, you have a six year old car with 75,000 miles that you've paid more for than a new one...painful and confusing. Need to look at all angles. Thank you!
  • micobizmicobiz Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my 2003 Yukon XL on Monday.

When I got home (105 mile round trip) I discovered the antenna and cigarette lighter were missing. I also noticed that the mats were beige while my carpet was gray (pewter).

The dealer told me there would be no problem - I could bring the Yukon back and they would order the replacement parts. I thought there must be a better way so I called the GM 800 number. What a joke!

After being on hold for 10 minutes I spokes to CSR Sean Stewart. I asked Mr Stewart if it was possible to make the exchange at a GM dealer closer to my home. He said that was impossible and furthermore he said it was my responsibility to inspect the vehicle before taking delivery. Finally he told me that it was not GM's fault that I picked a dealer so far from my home!

No "We're sorry for your inconvenience" or "We're sorry we screwed up". I asked to speak to a manager. He said he was a manager and he would be the only person I would be talking to. Really!

I can handle the replacement part problem but I can't handle buying a $41,000 MSRP vehicle and then taking crap from some jerk CSR at GM.

I emailed GM customer service and got a "thank you for your inquiry form letter response. I have been a GM customer for a long time but this is the end.
  • dietoselfdietoself Member Posts: 5
    I am an idiot. I assumed (from reading a review) that the 2003 Denali had Telescopic Steering, prior to buying one. Wrong! What a mistake! Even when I lower the pedals to the floor and move the seat forward - I still don't get the desired steering wheel position I would have with any other vehicle with a $51,000 MSRP (which obviously would have telescopic steering).
    My vehicle is still at the dealership being fixed. They called me last week to say they were going to replace a wiring harness.

However, GM called me after receiving my "lemon law" letter. After asking me a few questions, they said they'd contact the "Regional Factory Rep" to get things straightened out. The rep called the dealership and told them to replace the entire Autoride system! I'm hoping to get the truck back on Wed. So far, my experience in dealing with the dealership and GM directly has been good. The mechanic has had a heck of a time trying to solve the problem, but at least they are trying and being nice about it. I'm still crossing my fingers, though, because I've heard horrible things about GM CSR on this board.

Speaking of which....

Micobiz--I thought I'd respond to your post because I've just dealt with GM directly and the outcome is good so far. I think there is a some point where GM can't be held accountable for problems that can be handled at the dealership level. In this case, I understand your frustration and agree that when buying an expensive vehicle like this, that the dealership would make sure everything is perfect.

However, in this specific case, you can't really expect GM to do anything. And you certainly can't expect another local dealership (probably independently owned) to do anything about another dealership's screw up. Finally, some of the blame is your own as you should have thoroughly inspected the vehicle before taking it home.

That being said, this is in NO WAY YOUR FAULT. If I was the manager of the dealership, I'd offer you a free oil change or some type of service credit for your inconvenience. Maybe you won't take it there for service, but it would be a good gesture on their part. Unfortunately, I think your best bet is to just drive over there and get the correct parts.
  • mark100kmark100k Member Posts: 1
    I was going to order a new '04 but the price discounts got too attractive to pass-up so I just bought a new '03 YukonXL 2500 with quadrasteer and most of the options I would have ordered. It also has one I would have passed, the XM radio and 6 disk CD changer in dash radio. I already have a great Alpine in-dash GPS unit that I was going to add. Will it foul up the radio/XM/CDplayer? I also have an Alpine 12 disk CD changer. (Both the GPS and CD changer are from a previous car.) I would prefer not to experiment if others here have engineering knowledge or past experience.
  • micobizmicobiz Member Posts: 2
    walter3rd,

I think you are right but it's hard to just roll over when you spend that kind of money and get "pooped" on by some kid CSR.

I wasn't demanding anything from GM I was just asking if something was possible. I took care of the problem myself.

I hate to say it but my neighbor bought a Toyota truck and something similar happened to him. Toyota (not the dealer) was apparently so horrified that a truck left the dealer incomplete they overnighted the items to him with a hand signed letter of apology.
    It is kind of surprising that GM wouldn't take some kind of responsibility for the actions of its dealerships, whether independently owned or not.

I'm glad to hear you were able to fix things.
  • kboyer1kboyer1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any experiences/problems with an '03 1500 4WD LT rolling forward upon putting Burb in reverse (truck thought it was in neutral when it was not)?

Day after this occurred the neutral indicator light on the transfer case came on when starting the truck.

We have already had the dealer replace the computer module/chip behind the transfer case when the "service 4wd" message came up 1 week after purchase. The dealer said this was a consistent problem with new Burbs and was surprised GM has not issued a recall?

Any thoughts?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not much activity in the GMC Yukon XL/Chevy Suburban: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.

Steve, Host
  • juice22juice22 Member Posts: 29
    I was curious to know if anyone has checked out EBAY lately. There are two “Denali SS” models out for sale. I like the equipment installed and plan to call the dealership to see if I could get one built. However, I wanted to poll the board first to get some honest feedback regarding the trucks looks, equipment, price, etc….

Let me know what you think about the “Denali SS”

Thanks!