Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• stfwaynestfwayne Member Posts: 26

Brian125, I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow and seeing if his price is really true or if it is just in fact BS.

Mind you the dealer promised me a price thru multiple e-mail responses so i do not know what else he would be hiding bc i asked multiple times if the doc, destination fees and taxes were included as well as the accessories and multiple times he said yes.

Please let me know if I am getting a good deal or if it is indeed to good to be true despite his insistence in multiple emails.

On their website they have the CRV-EXL-AWD listed for MSRP of $29,775 with a Sale Price of $28,295. That is the price of the vehicle with the wheel locks and splash guards installed so i did not factor those accessories as extra

I am also getting the following accessories (note all prices are MSRP from Honda's website): floor mats ($143), cargo mat ($117), door edge guards ($84), and hood air deflector ($170). Roughly $400.

So let's say you add the accessories to the price making it $28,700.

Tax in Michigan is 6% = $1,722
    Doc Fee is $224
    Destination Fee is $830

Total = $28,700 + $1722 + $224 + $830 = $31,466

Here is the dealers email to me:
    "Hello I am confirming that the priceis 29718.45 includes destination and accessories installed out the door from my mgr, if that works please let me know when you can close the deal on a crv exl awd in stock asap. Its the end of the month. Thanks!"

What do you think Brian? We are going to purchase the vehicle tomorrow at 9AM your final help in the next few days is greatly appreciated as always.

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2014

stfwayne,

Invoice on the exl awd model w dest /charge is 28,000.... minus your target price to buy.. If its 1000 then selling price should be 27,000 including dest charge..... plus 400 accessories= 27,400 now add your tax and dealers doc fee for the otd pricing.

Your not ready to go into dealership with that terrible price you posted ... if its acurate.

Again..... Invoice on your model = 27,170

dest charge .............................=...830

total.............................................$28,000 take 1000 off this number.

Tomm is Feb,26th... do not rush your deals. You must know correct prices or you will get ripped off........... Just looking out for you buddy. dont mean to shout.

never look at msrp pricies...... you work from dealers invoice price down..

If dealers numbers are correct at 29,718 that puts you at 628 below invoice price . read my below post to budgebuyer..

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• budgetbuyerbudgetbuyer Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2014

@stfwayne, are you getting the vehicle for $29,718.45 OTD ... I mean (just to be clear and specific) that the price of $ 29,718.45 as mentioned in the dealer's email INCLUDES the accessories,
    tax, destination, documents etc. etc. etc. i.e. it is OUT THE DOOR ????

stfwayne, are you going to finance from Honda, because there is $500 FLEX CASH available from Honda Finance corpn. which should REDUCE your price further by $500.00

Of course, Brian is the master ... I am sure he will have better advice in the deal.

edited February 2014

budgetbuyer,

It looks to me stfwayne may have just wrote down the wrong numbers. My mentioned deal at 1000 below invoice price would total $29,346 so that makes a 372 dollar difference. making his current deal at 628 below invoice.

I think there is more room on this deal and here is why???

dealers doc fees are $224 and the added accessories dealers making another 200 profit.

This is his wiggle rm to negotiate.. plus like you posted if dealer has flex cash take another 500 off this deal.

Every voice or eyes in this forum is welcomed and helps us get better deals. i have a hundred people pulling at me right now so i welcome your help.. I actually overlooked the dealers otd numbers glad you caught it..

Good job............... budget stay involved

You are the master Brian. Let us hope that our stfwayne gets a good deal with your expert guidence :)

edited February 2014

I am really confused I thought I was getting a good deal. I did my due diligence and I contacted 14 out of the 15 dealers in Michigan. I emailed all of them and followed up thru phone negotiations. The lowest price excluding the dealer i planned to visit is $30,500 with the destination, accessories, doc fee, and taxes out the door.

The dealer that offered me $30,500 said that he would take off $500 flex cash in March bringing me down to $30,000.

Again the lowest number i got factoring in flex cash was $30,000. Not one dealer in Michigan was willing to go a dollar under $30,000 I spoke with 10 yesterday and they all claimed their final number was $30,550 to $31,000.

Brian here is the website listing the sale price not MSRP at $28,300
    http://www.tamaroffhonda.com/new-inventory-details/2014/Honda/CR-V/2HKRM4H73EH620985

You said to subtract $1,000 from that price to get a good deal (which you said includes destination but it is not spelled out on the page but let's say we go with your calculation): $27,300 + 400 accessories = $27,700 + $1662 taxes + $224 doc = $29,586 aka $29,600 which is $118 under what he offered me.

My cousin knows two Honda salesmen in Michigan one for Ferndale Honda and the other for LaFontaine in Dearborn. Both sales reps laughed in my cousin's face when he suggested they beat my price of $29,700 out the door and claimed there was no way to touch a CR-V EXL with those accessories under $30k. They werent trying to sell any car to my cousin they are his best friends from high school and were having drinks and watching the game. No hard sales pitch or anything. There prices were $30,600 and $30,566 out the door and even after negotiating with my cousin refused to budge.

I gave you the calculations what is the exact $ amount i should suggest to dealers tomorrow before i make my purchase. If you were purchasing this car and saw that website above what price would you consider to be a good deal.

We cant wait till the end of the month because my mom and dad work on Thursday and Friday and most likely wont be able to make it into the dealership.

Please help as I am left more confused then i ever was before

@budgetbuyer said:
    stfwayne, are you getting the vehicle for $29,718.45 OTD ... I mean (just to be clear and specific) that the price of $ 29,718.45 as mentioned in the dealer's email INCLUDES the accessories,
    tax, destination, documents etc. etc. etc. i.e. it is OUT THE DOOR ????

stfwayne, are you going to finance from Honda, because there is $500 FLEX CASH available from Honda Finance corpn. which should REDUCE your price further by $500.00

Of course, Brian is the master ... I am sure he will have better advice in the deal.

Yes that is what the dealer was saying in the email it is the price with accessories, destination, taxes, and doc fees and transfer license plate fee out the door. I thought i was getting a great deal bc not one dealer offered anything within 500-700 of this price and then brian said i am getting charged $300 over the invoice?

edited February 2014

@stfwayne I too am from MI. You must have read the details of the vehicle we bought on 8th Feb. from Page Honda............ will your tamaroff dealer give you further $ 500 FLEX CASH too? tomorrow OR you are paying in CASH or financing it in some other way?

So if I am understanding correctly, if i purchase the car at $29,718 out the door i am $628 under invoice and i should be looking at negotiating another $370-400 off the price making my final offer at $29,318 before i even mention Flex Cash.

So i guess I will call all the dealerships again tomorrow and ask if they can beat the price offered by Tamaroff at $29,718 by $300-400 and I will come in to buy the vehicle at their dealership?

BudgetbuyerMI and Brian thanks for all your help at 1AM i cant thank you enough

edited February 2014

@stfwayne ... have some fun buying the vehicle .. ... just as Brian said .... call all the dealers and say that you will buy the vehicle RIGHT AWAY ..... TODAY .... with DEPOSIT paid in advance .... if they give you the CRV for 29,118. OUT THE DOOR

(I am still not clear though what Brian's advice is on the $500 flex cash .... I mean if it is included in this or not, but then other dealers may not have the accesories installed, the way tamaroff has installed).

@budgetbuyer said:
    stfwayne I too am from MI. will your tamaroff dealer give you further $ 500 FLEX CASH too? tomorrow OR you are paying in CASH or financing it in some other way?

No I will not be paying in cash I will be financing the vehicle and probably over 5 years for 1.9% not the 0.9% over 36 months.

The whole Flex Cash issue is another weird one. Jim Riehl, Ferndale, Roseville Honda all claimed they had no more Flex Cash to give out in February and I would have to wait till March for the Flex Cash.

I did not mention the Flex Cash to the Tamaroff guy because it would just complicate the matter thru emails I wanted a price without that $500 off included.

What happened was I contacted other dealers offering Tamaroffs number and Brighton Honda's number which was about $150 more. All dealerships told me that there is no way this is an actual price and demanded emails and when I showed them they all claimed that the destination fee was not included.

That prompted me to call Tamaroff where I spoke with another sales rep there and he claimed that the man i was dealing with at HIS OWN DEALERSHIP was not being honest.

So I emailed the guy that gave me the offer for $29,718 and said this:
    "Did you show your manager my email and can you confirm the quote is including the destination fee?"

He responded:
    "Hello Sir, I thank you for your responses back, however, I stand by what we agreeed to do on this deal 29700 out the door with the accessories installed. If that works for you let me know when we can close the deal. Again, I am sorry for the misunderstanding, i have been in the business 20 yrs. I have learn not to lie to customer about anything!"

He also sent me the other email response i posted above because I still did not believe him and asked again if that included all the taxes, fees, and destination out the door.

I am so frickin confused and am just trying to get the best deal possible for my parents who are not adept in negotiations.

edited February 2014

@budgetbuyer said:
    stfwayne ... have some fun buying the vehicle .. ... just as Brian said .... call all the dealers and say that you will buy the vehicle RIGHT AWAY ..... TODAY .... with DEPOSIT paid in advance .... if they give you the CRV for 29,118. OUT THE DOOR

(I am still not clear though what Brian's advice is on the $500 flex cash .... I mean if it is included in this or not, but then other dealers may not have the accesories installed, the way tamaroff has installed).

I intend to have as much "fun" as i possibly can with dealing with pesky dealers the past two weeks. They called so many times I actually changed my cell phone number as i dont have time to deal with constant interruptions in my life / job.

The problem negotiating with including the Flex Cash is it poses a weird kind of conversation.

Do i call the dealers tomorrow and say "I will buy the CRV EXL AWD for $29,200 out the door and then say but i still need expect to get the $500 Flex Cash for using Honda Financing"

It just adds another wrinkle to the negotiations

And yes I read your post and was overjoyed lol finally to speak with someone from my home state!

Most dealers were shocked that i contacted all 14 dealers in Michigan (15th is in Port Huron which is way too far from me)

stfwayne, did you contact Page Honda? They DID give me flex cash. (but then my vehicle did not have the extra installed accessories). It is just LX AWD.

edited February 2014

I looked at the dealers web site that is his sale price. who cares..

2 options you have....... wait until thur to see if a dealer has a change of mind.

change your vehicle to buy without those added accessories.

Contact these dealerships if there not to far from you tomm.

Hidy honda .........beavercreek Oh

Chesrown Medina......OH

Friendly...................OH

jay honda............ i think they were in Cleveland.

Buckeye, waikem, and whitey's automall to round it out.

If you need to hold out til feb,28 and recall dealerships with a target price to buy then you do it on friday. make your best deal on that day and dont look back.

@stfwayne, these are the details from our sale experience on 8th Feb. I have already posted this earlier too ........... Hope it helps you

==================================================================

We bought our CRV AWD 2014 today, the msrp sticker price was $25,025. incl. destination.

We paid 23,832.15 O.T.D (used college grad and flex cash discounts). We transferred our old plates. There was no trade in car involved. We live in Michigan

Our dealer charged $200 doc. fees and would not budge on it because he said that we were already getting enough discounts.

There were no additional features installed by the dealer on the crv.

Final figures are:

Selling Price = 23,180.86, +Taxable fees 24.00, +Doc Fee 200.00, +Tax 1,404.29,

+Non Tax Fees 23.00

Total Balance before discounts = 24,832.15

Less: 500 (Graduation Disc.),

Less 500 (Flex Cash)

Final figure 23,832.15 Dealer said he had to charge tax on whole amount, before deducting the flex cash and grad disc.

We got Honda Financing of 1.9 % for 5 years.

We declined any additional warranties, as we did not have good experience with it in the past.

I do understand that I could have gotten a better deal at the end of the month, but needed a car bad, and could not wait that long.

Thanks for all the tips you and the rest kept giving on this forum again and again. I hope the information I have provided will similarly help others too

Best Regards

BudgetBuyer

@brian125 said:
    I looked at the dealers web site that is his sale price. who cares..

2 options you have....... wait until thur to see if a dealer has a change of mind.

change your vehicle to buy without those added accessories.

Contact these dealerships if there not to far from you tomm.

Hidy honda .........beavercreek Oh

Chesrown Medina......OH

Friendly...................OH

jay honda............ i think they were in Cleveland.

Buckeye, waikem, and whitey's automall to round it out.

If you need to hold out til feb,28 and recall dealerships with a target price to buy then you do it on friday. make your best deal on that day and dont look back.

Those dealerships are way too far for me but thanks for suggesting other outlets.

I am going to call dealerships tomorrow and ask for the car for $29,200 out the door and see if they can hit that number, if not i am going to go into the dealer and get it tomorrow bc my parents cant wait any longer and wont be able to get free to go to the dealer on the 27th or 28th of this month.

I do not want to give up the aforementioned accessories and purchase them on my own so i dont really want to negotiate without them.

@budgetbuyer said:
    stfwayne, did you contact Page Honda? They DID give me flex cash. (but then my vehicle did not have the extra installed accessories). It is just LX AWD.

I contacted Page and they refused to give me a quote over the phone demanding I come into the dealer for final negotiations. I know they are well known for offering the lowest price but since they were being shady on the phone and refused to negotiate down until I came into their dealership i decided against going with them.

I might just travel to Page and if they dont give me a good deal just get it from Tamaroff.

@stfwayne ...
    I did checkout the website of tamaroff for the vehicle

http://www.tamaroffhonda.com/new-inventory-details/2014/Honda/CR-V/2HKRM4H73EH620985

but forgive me ... I was not able to locate the special accessories mentioned. It is very late here at night ... may be I saw it in a hurry. Forgive me please.

I hope you get a great deal and a great car tomorrow (even if you pay a couple of dollors extra for a car you love, it is ok ... just consider it as donation to the dealers and let it go :)

Best Regards

BudgetBuyer

@budgetbuyer said:
    stfwayne ...
    I did checkout the website of tamaroff for the vehicle

but forgive me ... I was not able to locate the special accessories mentioned. It is very late here at night ... may be I saw it in a hurry. Forgive me please.

I hope you get a great deal and a great car tomorrow (even if you pay a couple of dollors extra for a car you love, it is ok ... just consider it as donation to the dealers and let it go :)

Best Regards

BudgetBuyer

The accessories are not in the post because I requested them separately from the Tamaroff dealer and his price is reflected with those accessories included.

I just have this bad feeling he quoted me $29,718 and im gonna walk in and he is gonna say BUT i FORGOT about this and suddenly the price jumps up higher.

Ive already been to the dealer to test drive (Honda and Toyota - Rav4) and dont want to waste another trip to the dealer without a purchase.

I know it's silly to make a fuss over $500 but that amounts to the first month's payment and every dollar counts

edited February 2014

@stfwayne, Page Honda Internet Sales lady "Jamie" gave me the price over the phone, which I wrote down on a notebook . then I barganed for FLEX CASH and STUDENT DISC. AFTER THAT.

Just Call Page honda, speak to JAMIE .... and ask for the QUOTE ... (which should be 2 percent BELOW the invoice price) and then FURTHER ... FLEX CASH of $ 500 .00

OK stfwayne.... I got to work tomorrow. I will check ur update tomorrow evening to check how you did.

Wish you all the best with your purchase tomorrow. GOOD LUCK.

If you go there tell them 29200 gets it done or your leaving. if you have to leave tell them you'll think about there higher offer let dealer know your going to another dealership. make them commit. you will get your number.

@brian125 said:
    If you go there tell them 29200 gets it done or your leaving. if you have to leave tell them you'll think about there higher offer let dealer know your going to another dealership. make them commit. you will get your number.

So ask for $29,200 PLUSSSS the $500 Flex Cash for a total price of $28,700?

you only get flex cash if dealer still has it to offer. nk17, is also looking to buy in columbus Oh are you near there you should Im him and see if you could work something out with a local dealership.

keep me posted tomm.

I will definitely keep you and budgetbuyermi posted for sure!

was planning to go in right at 9AM but am gonna push that back a few hours while i haggle on the phone

thanks for all your help guys!

• nkch17nkch17 Member Posts: 10
    @stfwayne

I'm buying from the Ohio market and if you're close enough try Hugh honda or Roush honda and honda of marysville . I'm in the process of negotiating awd LX model. Here are some numbers that they gave me from Hugh honda

"YOUR INTERNET PRICE $22,503 price includes the destination fee.
    Ohio Documentation Fee $250 (standard in Ohio)
    Tax-$1706.47
    Title, License and Registration $33.50
    TOTAL "OUT THE DOOR" $24,492.97"

Hugh honda has a limited amount of flex so do call if you're interested.

Roush said they don't know and maybe they have some secret fund that management keeps (they used some weird term for that fund) . They also claim to be transparent with their quote.

Honda marysville has flex
    @stfwayne

Also, after I got that quote I sent the dealer from marysville my offer of $21,200 incl. dest fee and got a counter offered of $21,900 incl. dest fee.

I haven't replied to his counter offered yet. I hope this kind of help . Good luck and take it easy :)
    @wdwdlg and @pdev670 ... I noticed that we are looking into buying crv awd LX ... If you have new knoweledge or purchased a car already please share your updates!! I'm curious to see what dealers are charging up there. I'm in the Ohio area .
  • _bryan_bryan Member Posts: 8

They asked me to commit the $500 as well to show them I am serious. It isn't a commitment to the sale, but it is showing that you are a serious buyer. He wants you to commit to $22,000 to him so you don't take his price to another dealer to try and get an extra $100-$200 off. If you finance a minimum of $5,000, Honda will give you $500. The rate right now through Honda is 0.9-1.9

@xniu001 said:
    I am trying to squzee more from the sponge. My sales tax in this area is %7, I phone one dealer to ask the total OTD $21,500. They refuse and said this price is insane. Ask him about $22,000, The answer is and I quote" if I give you $22,000, will you committed to my store? and put $500 deposit ?" I am confused and told him I will seriously consider it.

Now my question is: What does the meaning if the dealer say this? Can I trust this way? Ask him to send me this number as proof? Or directly go to the store to negotiate? The dealer keep asking whether I will trade-in my old car, and financing with them? Seems that they may only do this when I do trade-in and financing with them.

edited February 2014

Trust no dealer... never leave any deposit unless you agree on a price and dealer puts it in writing via email/fax. There is no such thing as show me your serious. If dealer cant give you a final agree price they are not serious . Once a dealer has your money without a agree price you are screwed..

Byran you need to figure out a target price to buy otherwise you will recieve all the nonsense from dealers your getting. You can not keep asking dealer give me your best price they have no idea if you will buy or where your buying price lies .. cut to the chase tell every dealer i want xx price to buy right now and i will leave you a credit card deposit to hold sale.......... yes or no.. Thats how you negotiate.

this makes you sounds like your serious and in control.. Thats the mistake your all making if not buying like this. You ask for a dealers best price in emails last week now you close by telling dealers what gets your business today.
    Read my prior posts otherwise buying like i talk about will get you nowhere fast and lead to a frustrating experience.

• carstudycarstudy Member Posts: 3

nkch17,

I've just response your email. During negotiation, I didn't ask the sale price. I just ask them what the best OTD price for VA. So, I don't what is the sell price. I knew MSRP is $25025 inc. $830 destination fee. finally, I paid the $22848 OTD for awd lx that included processing fee $200, VA tax, tag, title, etc. This price needs 0.9% finance. That is all I knew. I don't know this is good deal or not.

edited February 2014

Carstudy

If your not going to read thru these posts and apply how to figure price and how to buy you will have no idea what a good or bad price is??

Every deal you need a breakdown from dealers.

selling price

was dest charge included

what are dealers doc fee charges

any other charges for added accessories..

OTD pricing usually consists of

Your states taxes, dmv fee, doc fee, and any other charge dealer puts on final bill off sale..

@carstudy which dealership did you go to in VA? I think that's really good in my opinion comparing it to Ohio.

The snow today in the NY/NJ area should help you guys with pricing. A buyers dream at months end.

• xniu001xniu001 Member Posts: 6

Absolutely yes. The dealer told me that he does not want me to go back and forth with him and other dealer, so I think his $22,000 will be very hard to get. He told me $22,000 with$500 deposit. This price include everything, but he want me to involve a trade-in.

Just get another e-mail form a very far dealer, they said they may be able to reach $22,000, but I must include a trade-in to help them to do this. Doesn't want to do this way, so tell them these two things are actually separate ways.

Will still wait till tomorrow, then go to a dealer to try last step.

@_bryan said:
    They asked me to commit the $500 as well to show them I am serious. It isn't a commitment to the sale, but it is showing that you are a serious buyer. He wants you to commit to $22,000 to him so you don't take his price to another dealer to try and get an extra $100-$200 off. If you finance a minimum of $5,000, Honda will give you $500. The rate right now through Honda is 0.9-1.9

I was trying to ask them to break down the price, but no one want to do this.

However, the price do include everything there, including des. charge, tax, tag transfer and others. In this way, they said I must include a trade-in. Guess they think they can not earn enough profit form the new car but the old car. Already told them these are two separate things.

Still wait today, so tomorrow want to go to a dealership, if not success, I have the last Friday.

@brian125 said:
    xniu001,

Let me help you understand and will breakdown your deal...

OTD pricing does not help breakdown your deal. How did dealer arrive at that number?.

post this info..........

Agreed selling price ?

Was dest/ charge included in this price? its $ 830

does vehicle have any added options?

What are dealers doc fee charges?

R there any other fee's dealers is charging beside your states sales tax rate, and dmv charge which we dont need. Those numbers only finalize your deal in your state. all states fee's are regulated so if i'm not buying in your state your otd numbers means nothing to me and leaves me clueless to what you paid. Read thru prior boards to get a idea on pricing

Update, the dealer confirm that they can do $22,000, but must include a trade. Or they can not do this price for single car.

@xniu001 said:
    I was trying to ask them to break down the price, but no one want to do this.

However, the price do include everything there, including des. charge, tax, tag transfer and others. In this way, they said I must include a trade-in. Guess they think they can not earn enough profit form the new car but the old car. Already told them these are two separate things.

Still wait today, so tomorrow want to go to a dealership, if not success, I have the last Friday.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

"must include a trade"

Never heard that one before. Sounds like they plan to lowball you on your trade.

Some "smart shoppers" will only focus on the price of the car they are buying but think nothing of taking thousands of dollars less than their trade is actually worth.

In any event, don't expect top dollar for your trade when they aren't making anything on the car you are buying.

• gmoore88gmoore88 Member Posts: 2

I've been following this for a couple of weeks as my wife and I were considering purchasing a 2014 Honda CRV AWD EX-L in Columbia, MO. This forum was extremely helpful! We obtained e-quotes from the 2 closest dealerships and a few others from Kansas City and St Louis. This process was super easy compared to working with a retail salesperson.
    We finalized the deal last night in less than 30 minutes.
    2014 CRV AWD EX-L (no nav, no dvd, no dealer installed accessories)
    Invoice price including destination @ $28,00
    Purchase price including destination @ $26,545
    Doc fee @ $99
    OTD price @ $26,644
    In Missouri, you pay all taxes, title fees, and license fees at the DMV so these aren't included.
    I asked about flex cash, but they said none was available and we did not qualify for the military or recent graduate rebate. We did go with the 1.9% Honda financing as our credit union couldn't match it.

I might have been able to push for another $200 lower, but it wasn't in me. My wife and I were happy with this amount. Our local Columbia dealership (Frank Fletcher Honda) originally had the second lowest quote, but they agreed to match the lowest. That meant we could test drive and keep the business local where we will also have the vehicle serviced regularly.

You sound like the type of customer I enjoyed doing business with. You got a good deal, you didn't grind the last nickel out of them and you left happy.

You also care about keeping your business within the local economy.

Sadly, a lot of people don't care about anything but the PRICE.

A lot of these people never leave happy. They leave with the nagging fear that just MAYBE someone else bought the same car for less.

They only return to the Service Dept for warranty work and when the warranty ends the store never sees the car again UNLESS it has an oddball problem that the local chain store can't fix.

I guess we are all different.

I just purchased the 2014, Honda EX-L, AWD, with the following accessories: wheel locks, door edge guards, splash guards, cargo tray, cargo organizer, all season floor mats out the door for $29,500 at Page Honda.

My mom demanded to purchase the tire warranty (against my advice) for an addition $600 and that covers the tires, dents, windshield chips, and up to one free key (replacement if lost) per year for 5 years unlimited mileage

Her friend has the same warranty and said she went thru two pot holes and both times they replaced the tire for free no questions asked. Her other friend has gotten two nails in tires and same thing replaced the tires no questions asked

I told her not to get it but she went ahead and got it anyways.

I feel like we got a solid deal at almost $850 under invoice according to Brian's calculations last night. Thanks everyone for your help good luck in purchasing in the future!

I would not bite on that. I think a trade-in is the worst thing anyone can do unless you have an absolute fear of selling your own car. The dealer offered me $1,200 for an 01 Odyssey back in July. We said no thanks and sold it for $3,700 5 days later. I've got a car for sale now, the kbb trade-in value is $2,000. I just listed it and I have 2 showings tonight listed at $3,800. Trade-ins cost you a minimum $1,000.

@xniu001 said:
    Update, the dealer confirm that they can do $22,000, but must include a trade. Or they can not do this price for single car.

I thought the $22,500 without trade-in was a good number considering you included 7% tax, but I'm no expert.

edited February 2014

@isellhondas said;

You sound like the type of customer I enjoyed doing business with. You got a good deal, you didn't grind the last nickel out of them and you left happy.

You also care about keeping your business within the local economy.

Sadly, a lot of people don't care about anything but the PRICE.

A lot of these people never leave happy. They leave with the nagging fear that just MAYBE someone else bought the same car for less.

They only return to the Service Dept for warranty work and when the warranty ends the store never sees the car again UNLESS it has an oddball problem that the local chain store can't fix.

I guess we are all different.

Isell,

Poster.......... gmoore 88 said: purchased a CRv exl awd last night for almost 1500 below invoice price and claimed he maybe could of got a couple more hundred but its not in him..took the deal from the local dealer.

I'm glad you praised him...gmoore88 he is your kind of buyer. Tell all the other folks in here who are getting prices not even half that amount. fighting to get 600 or 700 below invoice that they are wrong for trying to make there best deal to. local dealership should consider keeping there folks a customer and not let dealer x miles away steel your neighbor.

gmoore 88 would of never purchased at his local dealership if that dealer was 800 more than price he bought at.

Whether your buying a Car , TV, or Furniture you buy where you save the most money.
    What difference does it make what honda dealership i buy from.... there product is the same and can be serviced under warranty at any dealership across the country.

If dealerships in your area are within 2 or 400 hundred dollars you might not care. alot do thou. If i know i can get vehicle for 800 or better in another area thats where i may buy.. who makes 800 dollars for 1 days work and a nice savings at that..

What I like to do is everytime i buy a new vehicle Usually 4 vehicles every 4 or 5 years i put my money saved from my sales in each of my 4 grandkids college fund or i buy them a bond. Now that is money well saved for maybe a 2 or 3 hour drive if need be.

• gmoore88gmoore88 Member Posts: 2

@isellhondas

Thank you for the compliment. Keeping my business local was important, but I have to agree with Brian. If they would not have matched the lowest price, I would have walked away. The other dealer was 30 miles away and their initial quote was $500 less than my local dealer. When I contacted my local dealer with the specific pricing, they said they could match or beat it. I was happy they did so. I could have went back and forth between the two dealerships to get a couple hundred dollars lower, but that part wasn't worth it for me. A couple hundred is not small change, but in the big picture it wasn't worth the time or stress. Others might choose different, and I respect them for that. But I was impressed with the difference in feeling between emailing dealers and getting them to fight for my business compared to sitting in the sales room feeling like I had no control. It also helped that my initial pricing from the 2 closest dealers was way below my expectations. Edmunds TrueCar price was in the upper $27,000's. I didn't expect to start below $27,000 and then work down.

@_bryan said:
    I would not bite on that. I think a trade-in is the worst thing anyone can do unless you have an absolute fear of selling your own car. The dealer offered me $1,200 for an 01 Odyssey back in July. We said no thanks and sold it for $3,700 5 days later. I've got a car for sale now, the kbb trade-in value is $2,000. I just listed it and I have 2 showings tonight listed at $3,800. Trade-ins cost you a minimum $1,000.

Even 3700.00 dollars seems too cheap for a 2001 Odyssey unless it was really ratty or miled up. Even a 12 year old one should bring more than that.

I'm happy you've had good luck selling your own cars. It can be a pain and a lot of people including myself have had bad experiences.

If it's a car a dealer really wants because of condition or it's high demand they will often step up and pay a lot of money for it. In states that offer a sales tax credit trading can be a good thing to do. Here in Washington where we have a whopping 9.5% sales tax on a trade worth 10,000 there would be a 950.00 sales tax credit.

A lot of people don't want to deal with strangers coming to their home and the liability that can come from a private party sale.

@stfwayne ....

I just came from work ... and logged in straight onto the computer to see your message :)

CONGRATULATIONS on your new Purchase :)

Enjoy your CRV - EX L AWD ... with all its accessories :)

Drive Safe. ... Be Safe ...

Take Care

It always amazes me how some folks and area's have a easy time buying while other areas can be a nightmare. Poster, gmoore88, made a good deal and keep his buy local... good job by you and your local dealership.

@budgetbuyer said:
    stfwayne ....

I just came from work ... and logged in straight onto the computer to see your message :)

CONGRATULATIONS on your new Purchase :)

Enjoy your CRV - EX L AWD ... with all its accessories :)

Drive Safe. ... Be Safe ...

Take Care

Thanks I appreciate the help and input

take it easy !

@isellhondas said:

I'm happy you've had good luck selling your own cars. It can be a pain and a lot of people including myself have had bad experiences

I sold my Saturn last night for $3,500. Trade-in value was $2,000. I had it listed for 2 days and I had to call 3 people after I sold it to let them know.

The 2001 Odyssey had 225,000 miles. I wasn't very surprised when the dealer showed me the avg auction price to be $1,800 but then they offered us $1,200. Like I said, we sold it for $3,700 a few days later.

If you have the time to sell your own car, it will likely save you a lot of money. I spent 3 hours total on the Odyssey (cleaning, listing, dealing) and made $2,500 over trade offer. I spent 4 hours total on the Saturn and made $1,500 over trade-in value.

This discussion has been closed.