Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• sdeame1sdeame1 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014

I'm ready to buy a CRV EXL AWD in Black with Nav in the next two days. It will be a cash deal with no trade in.

Edmunds is stating a Invoice price of $28,575 + $830 Destination for a total of $29403. Is my goal to make it anywhere from $1000-1500 below $29403 or somewhere around $28,000?

I just received an accepted offer of $27,905 or $1500 off invoice. It's 2 miles from my house and I'm ecstatic over the price.

Thanks everyone.

• babybean82babybean82 Member Posts: 1

Hi Brian, NJ 2014 CRV LX AWD with dealer enhancement pacakage (wheel locks, cargo tray, mud guards) for $22,800 purchase price, out the door $24,953. How does this sound? Should I wait until March for possible purchase incentive? Thanks!

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2014

babybean

Your in that 7 to 800 below invoice range area in NJ. Waiting til end of march or negotiating thru the month of march most likely will help you save a few more hundred but thats about it in this area, If you really dont need the vehicle it may be worth a shot along with expanding your search outside of NJ,

March ends the 1st quarter for all car companies. Getting a better deal by months end is do-able.

Below is a list of dealers in our area who have sold vehicles at a lower rate at months end.. If your lucky enought to catch them at months end needing incentives they will deal alot lower than prices given earlier in the month.

NY= New Rochelle, Yonkers , Friendly, Atlantic, Huntington, Bayridge.

NJ= Auto-sport, DCH paramus, paul miller , Hamilton , garden state.

Several of these dealers have not budged off end of the month prices.. Still have to try

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

@_bryan said:

Well, with 225,000 miles even the wholesalers don't want them. That store was probably hoping that for 1200-1500 some wholesaler would be tempted.

In your case, I would agree that selling it yourself is the thing to do. That way the buyer can meet
    the owner, hear the story of how well it was maintained, see receipts showing oil changes were done, new timing belt etc.

And, it's a HONDA! A lot of people aren't afraid of the miles but...wow...225,000 is a LOT!

You did good!

• jaz6jaz6 Member Posts: 3

Brian,

I ended up buying from another dealer as the first quote I received from the first dealer included flexcash ($500). My local dealer gave me the same flexcash ($500), and my final price for the CR-V EX-L FWD was $28,027: $26,276 + $2,126 (TTL) + $125 (doc fee) -$500 . This includes first year maintenance and unlimited power train warranty. Thank you for your help!

@jaz6 said:
    Brian: I'm in the Houston area and the best quote I've received for the EX-L: $25110 + $830 = $25940 + $339 (Wheel Locks,Splash Guards & Cargo Tray) + 182.45 (TL) + Doc fee (125) + $1,673.69 (Taxes) for a total of $28,260 What do you think?

• bearabull1bearabull1 Member Posts: 3

I plan on buying mine tomorrow. 2014 Honda CR-V LX AWD. List $24,195, Edmunds Invoice $23,554. Sale Pice $21,228 + $830 Des + $166.26 doc + 8.25% tax +$221 New License and title for an OTD of $24,321. Trying to decide on the color before I go. Got this quote at HondaOnGrand in Elmhurst, IL. If I figured out everything, I think the OTD quote is about $40 over what it should be, so will need to check those figures there.
    What color is everybody liking? I am selling my cosmic blue Matrix, so think I want a different color than blue.

• sunnysgangsunnysgang Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014

Brian,

Thank you for all your help. Your advice has been priceless and has helped me cut through a lot of the drivel that is out there.

Anyway I got my CR-V yesterday and after negotiating with the dealership - I have to say that you were dead on with it being a game of poker.

I followed almost all your advice nearly to a T and I am fairly satisfied with the outcome so thanks again.

I sent out an e-mail with an offer of a OTD price for $25,500 for a 2014 EX-L FWD (including all fees and costs for accessories). I asked for 4 separate accessories (splash guards, door edge protectors, wheel locks and cargo tray) which per amazon pricing totaled up to about $240. I sent the offer to 6 different dealerships. 2 of the dealerships initially did not respond, 2 countered with offers that were too far out to be taken seriously. 1 of the dealerships came within $400 of my offer but I held off.

At 6 pm in the evening, my phone rang and I talked to a salesman who gave me a counteroffer that was basically a repetition of an older quote that I had gotten from him. I politely refused and he told me that his manager wanted to talk to me.

The manager was a nice guy and told me that my offer was too low to be serious. I told him that's fine I can wait till I hear back from other dealers. He said there's a reason no one has called so far. Again I repeated that I can wait for a few more days.

The manager then said he could do $26,300 and I told him that I couldn't do that. He gave me the usual runaround about MSRP and how much I was lower compared to that (no mention of Invoice pricing though). He gave me inflated pricing for all the accessories I wanted and then proceeded to add up the numbers, feigning disbelief along the way. I listened and simply repeated - this is my offer.

He then asked me "so what kind of work do you do". I told him that "I work in a hospital" to which he said "so I come with a broken leg, you gonna fix me for free" - classic salesman technique. I deflected that question by pleading ignorance and stuck to my price.

He asked me if I was gonna pay cash or get it financed. I told him I would prefer cash but he said that the only way he could do the deal was with financing and even then he could only get it down to $25,800 with the "any one accessory that you want". He said "I am a fool to offer you this deal and you would be a fool to say no" and that "no other Honda dealer can do this for you". I said no and countered with $25,600 with the cost all the four accessories and administration fees included.

The manager acted like I had asked him for his first-born child and told me there was no way he could do that. He asked me thrice (no kidding) if I realized that I was walking away from the deal and I said yes, yes and yes.

The next thing he asked me for was my credit card number to put the deposit on. We confirmed the price and the details and I picked up my car yesterday night.

In the end considering that invoice price of $26,000, $830 Destination fees, $199 Administration Fees adding up $27,029 - I saved $1429 with my OTD price of $25,600. The 4 additional accessories were ones I really wanted and getting them included was the cherry on top.

As a side note, I did not end up getting it financed and paid cash anyway.

I HUGE shoutout to Brian again - I don't think I could have done this without your help. I have always felt slightly intimidated by the prospect of dealing with the infamous car salesmen but thanks to you the process was both painless and productive.

edited February 2014

Sunnygang.... you did well Im going to let you negotiate my next deal

Post your state and dealerships name for the other members. This may help them get a similar deal.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

@_bryan

You did a fantastic job getting $3700 for your 225,000 mile, 12 year old Odyssey! That thing must have glowed in the dark! Well done!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• citizenchicitizenchi Member Posts: 11

I also want to say thanks to Brian! Following your guidance, I did all of my negotiation with various dealers over email and had my price, before all fees, locked in before I went to my chosen (and closest) dealership. They did ask me to bring in printouts of offers from other dealers, which I did.

I just got an EX, AWD for $25,700 - OTD price, and thats including the high 9% tax in Chicago. This price also included some B.S. "Perma-Plate" protection they say they put on all the interiors of their cars, which they charge $289 and wasn't negotiable (I asked twice). It covers all stains, rips, burns, marks, scratches on the interior for 7yrs/100k miles. They either fix or replace the item.

There wasn't really anything to negotiate when we got there, other than the F&I guy trying to sell us an extra bumper-to-bumper warranty for 7yrs/100k miles ($0 deductible, rental car, roadside assistance, etc.) for $1225 total. He originally asked $2500 for it and I said no, and then he cut the price in half, saying he needed to make his quota. I still said I'd think about it but I'm not sure it's worth it. It's similar to the warranty that stfwayne mentioned above. Is it even worth it?

Anyhow, thanks again Brian! My wife is happy because she has a new car and I'm happy because I got the price I wanted ($1500 below invoice)!

• wilrodwilrod Member Posts: 7

Looking for advice in Northern NJ:

2014 CRV EX AWD - 25539 includes doc fee and dest fee, tax not incl

wilrod,

read thru past threads you will find prices and dealerships to contact

• xniu001xniu001 Member Posts: 6

Thanks for everyone here especially Brian and _bryan. I got my CRV LX Fwd for OTD $22,500. I include a trade-in. So this is the price before I put my trade, after the trade this can be lowered by the tax.

• hercules29hercules29 Member Posts: 2

Here is a quote from a local dealer in south Georgia. Please let me know what you think.

2014 CR-V LX:

$ 23,775.00 - MSRP
    $ 1,691.00 - Your Discount
    $ 22,084.00 - Sale Price
    $ 1,516.93 - TAVT
    $ 389.00 - Administrative Fee
    $ 79.00 - GA Title Fee
    $ 3.00 - GA Lemon Law Fee
    $ 24,071.93 - TOTAL PRICE

A 2014 CR-V EX has a MSRP of $25,875. I can sell you an EX model for $24,050 + taxes and fees. Your "TOTAL" for an EX will be $26,170.64.

edited March 2014

hercules 29,

Stop looking at the msrp price. Take every model your interested in then use the dealers invoice price and work down off that number.

CRv lx fwd models invoice w/ dest charge=...........21,553

dest/ charge...........................................................830

Total....................................................................22,383

A good target price in Georgia is 1000 below dealers invoice.. Your quote is only a few hundred below invoice.. By paying the dealers admin/ doc fee of $389. that puts this deal at invoice price .. This is not a good deal... You could negotiate lower get more dealerships involved making your best deal by months end.

• hercules29hercules29 Member Posts: 2

Thank you. I have another question - are you saying that we should not pay any type of dealers/admin fee? I've got quite a few dealerships involved now.

Dont rush any deal. Negotiate til you feel you get your price or very close to that number

edited March 2014

@hercules29 said

Thank you. I have another question - are you saying that we should not pay any type of dealers/admin fee? I've got quite a few dealerships involved now.

What i'm saying is a admin fee/ doc fee is all dealer profit goes directly in his pocket. That 389 needs to be compensated for in your deal. You negotiate a good deal lets say 900 below invoice price Now your finilizing your deal signing paperwork and on the bottom is this charge .. Your 900 below price is now a deal worth 511 dollars . If your target price to buy was lets say 1250 and you got that price you know countered that deralers doc/ admin fee.

Every vehicle i buy I know each dealers fee's which counters these charges on the bill of sale. dealers know who the smart buyers are.

If your dealer told me Mr Brian i can't sell you this vehicle for 1289 below invoice price.
    My response would be your not at 1289 below invoice taking your admin fee's into consideration your really selling me this vehicle at 900 below. Do you want my business i'm buying today. Let these guys know you did your homework and wont be fooled or suckered into paying more than you have to. The dealerships that want your business will give you there best price . The rest will not give you prices and play games.. Weed them out.

• otopsotops Member Posts: 13

WoW! This has been a great read! Thank you to all for your contributions!

A few things that really surprise me after reading from start to finish:

1. The amount of people in here from the northeast. Seems like the ratio is, at least, 3 to 1.

2. The lack of people from the south and, especially, the west. Taking it one step more, the lack of participants from Florida (where I live).

3. The wide variance in pricing. However it looks like most are succeeding in obtaining their targeted price by the end of their negotiation, though.

Now a couple simple questions that I think would help the new-comer (like me).

1. Where do you find the dealer's invoice price? Is this the Edmunds.com Dealer Invoice price?

2. True or false. If yes to question number 1, to obtain your targeted price, you then add $830.00 destination fee to the Edmunds.com Dealer Invoice price and subtract $1000 (+ or - depending on your location).

3. True or false. After you've figured your target price, you then E-Mail each dealership individually telling them what you want and at what price.

4. True or false. Then all the fun begins. Right?

Here's my situation:

I spent a couple hours on the Honda CR-V EX-L webpage two nights ago. At the "REQUEST A QUOTE" page I entered my information for five different ZIP CODES which automatically sent messages to 15 different dealers. Of course, yesterday the fun began. I received MANY E-Mails and phone calls with most of them being cordial. Having said that, I didn't answer any phone calls but did respond to all E-Mails.

I have learned that I'm going to have trouble getting the car I want due to my location. I have asked for a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD with DVD. I have been informed that there are none in FL or GA. Is it safe to assume I have no negotiating power with this specific vehicle? Do I settle for a CR-V EX-L FWD with DVD (which is also pretty rare from what I'm gathering)? Or do I drop down to the CR-V EX-L FWD because they are all over the place which would give me the most negotiation power?

Curious to hear your answers and thoughts.

Thank you ahead of time!

• buynewauto46buynewauto46 Member Posts: 16

Hi Brian,
    I have got an offer from Chicago area for HONDA CR-V L AWD vehicle for $21,223.94 plus destination, taxes, and fees. Hope this is a good price .

edited March 2014

Buynewauto,

Very good price at 1500 below invoice. Wait a few more days to see which dealers will be offering flex cash. and try to get your negotiated price plus the extra 500 for financing thru Honda.

Post your dealership and deal after you buy vehicle this will help the other forum members in the Chicago area.

In the NY/ NJ area Honda dealerships will not come close to a selling number this low. Our area CRV's and Accords are selling at 500 below to 900 at best.. In MA, MD,VA, CA these vehicles are selling like in Chicago rest of the states are hit or miss but on the lower end.

Good job so far. Usually by the 7th of the month dealers have flex cash

Sure will do ; also have a question the dealer mentioned that the quote is a Feb price so will the march price change as there are adding flex cash of 500 ........

edited March 2014

At 1500 below thats a great price even if you dont recieve a better offer or get the flex cash. I'm sure other members would be very happy to get a price where your at..

Otops

I will post later on your post. You have asked some very good questions.

Brian

@brian125 said:
    Buynewauto,

Very good price at 1500 below invoice. Wait a few more days to see which dealers will be offering flex cash. and try to get your negotiated price plus the extra 500 for financing thru Honda.

Post your dealership and deal after you buy vehicle this will help the other forum members in the Chicago area.

In the NY/ NJ area Honda dealerships will not come close to a selling number this low. Our area CRV's and Accords are selling at 500 below to 900 at best.. In MA, MD,VA, CA these vehicles are selling like in Chicago rest of the states are hit or miss but on the lower end.

Good job so far. Usually by the 7th of the month dealers have flex cash

Hi Brian
    The HONDA CR-V L AWD vehicle quote for $21,223.94 is including the $500 Off ( if we finance with HONDA)
    The Final Quote

$21,223.94 ( including 500 Off )
    plus destination, taxes, and fees.

Hope this is a good price .Please let me know your comments .......

Still a very good deal. Unless you want to negotiate further getting more dealerships involved or having a closer dealer to your home match or beat that price you have done well close the deal.

There probably is more room for saving another 200 to 500 dollars but that depends on getting more dealerships involved and waiting closer to months end.

edited March 2014

Otops,

Car prices msrp and invoice pricing can be found on these sites. Edmunds, Nada, KBB.com. All prices are from manufacturers price guide.

I like to use Nada its very easy to get your models invoice with dest/charge. Edmunds is good also but they make it harder to navigate thru there web pages, and kelly's is another reliable source for vehicle price.

You take your models invoice price add dest/charge then subtract a target price to buy. You always can't assume you can buy a vehicle for below invoice price. example: BMW, MB, etc.

Usually American cars and most Honda, Nissan, Toyota, kia, etc can be had for a below invoice price. A new hot model maybe not either .

3- true.....4- true. Settle for the crv dealers can get.... you will pay alot less. Your leverage in pricing is gone when making a dealer find or special ordering a model for you.. Then you will hear dealers telling you take it, or leave it price wise.. The best deals to be had are taking stock off the dealers lots.
    Take into consideration dealers doc fee/ admin fee in florida they are very high.

Find dealerships that have plenty of your choice model CRV in stock. This will help you make a better deal.

edited March 2014

This is how I go about buying a new vehicle if i have no clue on what prices I could get in my area... This will also help you to determin your target price to buy and your area's market selling price with any vehicle.... just apply the below formula .. These 2 factor"s help you decide, and will help you make the best possible deal in your area. Knowing how and when to buy is the key to getting the best possible deal. knowing when you have the most leverage and when you dont..

Take dealers invoice price and add the dest fee charge onto that.

Take the dealers hold back of 2 or 3% of either msrp or invoice of car and minus off invoice you could find all manufactuers hold back prices right here on edmunds home page..

Take the dealers doc fee or admin fee charge and minus that off the invoice price . This would be my starting target price to buy. I work my best deal from this number maybe going back up closer to invoice price if no dealers will sell that low. Closing my deal at months end for the best possible price.

Getting as many dealerships involved as i'm willing to travel to by car, bus, train, etc. Your homework on pricing and dealerships are done the 1st 2 weeks. then on that 3rd week you send out 10/20 30 emails to dealerships for price quotes or what i do is call each dealerships internet manager and work my deal thru them. The key and your leverage is you already know what model you want, the price and your telling each manager i buy today if you meet my price . Yes or No putting each dealership on the spot for the sale that moment. All non internet friendly dealership just remove off your list. probably no loss there.

Example:

Invoice price CRV exl awd no /nav...................27,170 plus 790 dest charge= 28,000

Invoice w dest charge included...................................28,000

dealerhold 2% of base msrp........................................- 543

dealerships doc fee charge........................................- 300

Total starting or asking price to buy .....................= 27,157. OR 843 below dealers invoice price

When you negotiate with dealerships always add the dest/ fee into the price then subtract what i did. this puts you and dealership on same page price wise with very little confusion about Vehicles price.

Some area's are selling alot lower than the formula due to manufactuer to dealer incentives. reading thru these boards will give you a idea on target price .

Sorry for the bad writing skills hopefully you get the idea....LOL

good luck................. Newbie's

• tedinphillytedinphilly Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2014

Hi all, first time poster here, hoping to get feedback on pricing in the Philadelphia area. How bad does $23,000 plus tax & tags for an LX AWD look? If my info is correct I see that it's about $550 lower than total invoice, which apparently isn't nearly as low as some of the people here are getting. Is it my market or do I need to work this some more?

edited March 2014

hey philly

My mom grew up in south philly back in the day. Always enjoyed it as a kid going back to see my grandparents in philly.

Your area's target price is between 500 to as high as 1000 below invoice price.. NJ and NY are around same kind of pricing. Find a dealer offering flex cash of 500 . Then securing a deal of 600 to 800 below invoice price would put you at a nice below invoice number.. Shoot for at least 800 below invoice plus flex cash..

Try and find some of the south jersey honda dealerships to get into the mix for better pricing..

Here are the 3 I usually call.......... Burns, Burlington, Honda of Turnersville

• tedinphillytedinphilly Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2014

Thanks for the advice Brian, will definitely make another push now. Do we know that flex cash is still available at all dealers?

Thats a call and find out type of deal. Some dealers have it.......... others dont

• emma27emma27 Member Posts: 15
    Hi, I'm trying to figure out a great price for a 2014 CRV AWD EX. It looks like many people on here have bought the EX-L or LX. I'm in Kansas and willing to go to pretty much any dealer in the state or OKC. It looks like the Truecar value is $26,244. Edmunds says $26,944. The MSRP is 27,125. It seems like I should aim for $24,500? I assume that Truecar/Edmonds value isn't including doc fees, destination, taxes? This is all so confusing! I have been reading and reading these posts, so sorry. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    edited March 2014

Emma,

Since there is nobody in this forum who has purchased a CRV near your location your best coarse of action is to email dealerships. Invoice price on a ex awd model = 24,689. excludes dest/ charge, taxes etc. In your emails tell each dealership you will buy said model for 850 below invoice price plus your looking for a dealership with flex cash taking a additional 500 off your 850 below invoice price for financing thru Honda.

Most states including yours have a market selling price of 600 below invoice price to 1000 below. The only way to determine if you could get a lower price than 1k is to email dealerships telling each one I will buy from your store for xxx below invoice today.. Yes or no putting each dealership on the spot that moment. Then letting this month play out to see where pricing lies.

Brian, thanks so much for your detailed response. It is very helpful. I emailed one dealership before reading all this (unfortunately!) and that dealer said $25,400 plus documentation and tax. Now I get from reading all these that I need to say what I will pay not what they will sell it for.
    edited March 2014

Emma

Recheck your numbers. Mine are correct on pricing with your model.... Invoice price on a EX, awd model with dest charge =25,519. Above dealer is selling you this vehicle for 119 dollars below invoice. This is a bad deal... with very little effort and Applying what i have been saying you will do alot better than dealers quote. You want to ask each dealership if they have flex cash if you finance the vehicle thru them.. that 500 dollar incentive is not to be applied to your asking price to buy. Dealers doc fee's are pretty cheap in your area about 60 dollars so thats not a issue. work on a bettter buying price.

please re read some of the posts that i talk about buying and working a good deal. You could IM me if you need further help.. Good luck

Brian,

Thank you for the detailed response(s).

So... If I'm understanding correctly:

2014 CR-V EX-L 2WD w/ NAVI

Invoice = 27,404.00
    Destination = 830.00
    Inv./Dest. = 28,234.00

2% Holdbk. = 565.00
    Doc. Fees = 699.00

STARTING PRICE = 26,970.00
    -1264.00 UNDER INVOICE

Correct?

2014 CR-V EX-L 2WD

Invoice = 26,000.00
    Destination = 830.00
    Inv./Dest. = 26,830.00

2% Holdbk. = 536.00
    Doc. Fees = 699.00

STARTING PRICE = 25,595.00
    -1235.00 UNDER INVOICE

Correct?

2014 CR-V EX-L 2WD w/ RES

Invoice = 26,665.00
    Destination = 830.00
    Inv./Dest. = 27,485.00

2% Holdbk. = 550.00
    Doc. Fees = 699.00

STARTING PRICE = 26,236.00
    -1249.00 UNDER INVOICE

Correct?

Please let me know when you get a chance.

Thank you!

edited March 2014

otop,

Your numbers are wrong. 2% is based on base msrp not invoice price with destanation charge included. Take each models msrp x 2% without any added options on vehicle.

When calculating holdback, use the following guidelines.

If a holdback is calculated from the:
    Total MSRP: Consumers must include the MSRP price of all options before figuring the holdback.
    Base MSRP: Consumers must figure the holdback before adding desired options.
    Total Invoice: Consumers must include the invoice price of all options before figuring the holdback.
    Base Invoice: Consumers must figure the holdback before adding desired options.

Make Holdback

Acura 2% of the Base MSRP

Audi No holdback

BMW No holdback

Buick 3% of the Total MSRP

Cadillac 3% of the Total MSRP

Chevrolet 3% of the Total MSRP

Chrysler 3% of the Total MSRP

Dodge 3% of the Total MSRP

FIAT 3% of the Total MSRP

Ford 3% of the Total MSRP

GMC 3% of the Total MSRP

Honda 2% of the Base MSRP

Hyundai 3% of the Total MSRP

Infiniti 1.5% of the Base MSRP

Jaguar No Holdback

Jeep 3% of the Total MSRP

Kia 3% of the Base Invoice

Land Rover No Holdback

Lexus 2% of the Base MSRP

Lincoln No Holdback

Mazda 1% of the Base MSRP

Mercedes-Benz 1% of the Total MSRP

Mercury 3% of the Total MSRP

MINI No Holdback

Mitsubishi 2% of the Base MSRP

Nissan 2.8% of the Total Invoice

Porsche No Holdback

Ram 3% of the Total MSRP

Scion No Holdback

smart 3% of the Total MSRP

Subaru 2% of the Total MSRP (Amount may differ in Northeastern U.S.)

Toyota 2% of the Base MSRP

Volkswagen 2% of the Base MSRP

Volvo 1% of the Base MSRP

edited March 2014

O.K. So let's revise these.

Invoice = 27,404.00 Destination = 830.00 Inv./Dest. = 28,234.00

2% Holdbk. of 30,025 = 600.00 Doc. Fees = 699.00

STARTING PRICE = 26,935.00 -1299.00 UNDER INVOICE

Correct?

2014 CR-V EX-L 2WD

Invoice = 26,000.00 Destination = 830.00 Inv./Dest. = 26,830.00

2% Holdbk. of 28,525 = 570.00 Doc. Fees = 699.00

STARTING PRICE = 25,561.00 -1269.00 UNDER INVOICE

Correct?

Invoice = 26,665.00 Destination = 830.00 Inv./Dest. = 27,485.00

2% Holdbk. of 29,225 = 584.00 Doc. Fees = 699.00

STARTING PRICE = 26,202.00 -1283.00 UNDER INVOICE

Correct?

edited March 2014

hold back is not based on invoice price with honda..... Base MSRP x 2% .

CRV EXL 2wd w/ nav base msrp = $ 29,195 times 2% = 583.9.

Edmunds , Nada , KBB.com for pricing on vehicles.

Nada will list all prices invoice and base msrp check out prices

Right. That time I took the MSRP x .02 to get the holdback. So my numbers should be a good place to start. Right?
    So the holdback is calculated off of the MSRP without the destination fee? (I've been imcluding it.)
    Thanks again, Brian. He said doc fee is $299. I will keep trying. I have only contacted one dealer so far so I have some work to do on this!! Thanks so much!
  • cehscehs Member Posts: 1

I'm in pittsburgh, and looking to buy a 2014 CRV EX. Unfortunately, my current car is literally on its last legs, so I don't have time to wait until the opportune moment to buy... I have reached out to several dealers in my area, and currently my best offer is: $25,430 plus tax/fees (1780 in tax, 184 in tags/fees). I would get the $500 cash-back, so my total would be $26,894. From reading the posts, its seems this may not be my best bet but I don't have alot of time to negotiate. Essentially I need to buy on Saturday, lots of other factors playing a role with my schedule and such. I was thinking of trying to offer $25000 which would put me about $500 less than invoice and then with the $500 cash back would get me to $24,500 which would place me with an OTD $26,400. Is this ok? given my time crunch, what do you recommend?

Sounds like that number is very do- able.. If you shoot for a lower number you may have to play hard ball a couple of weeks before a dealer agrees on your price.

Hi Brian ,
    I got a final quote for CR-V LX AWD ( including the $ 500 flex cash ) as
    The vehicle was quoted at $21,223.94 Plus Dest anfd taxes.
    Roughly it brings it to under $24,000 OTD.

edited March 2014

buynewauto,

Invoice...................= 22,773

your quote...............=21,723

Total.......................= 1050 below invoice price plus 500 flex for financing= 1550 below.

what are dealers doc fee charges?? What state are you buying in?? If this dealer is not the closest to you see if another dealership closer will match or beat for the sale.

Brian,

Last time, are these numbers correct?

2014 CR-V EX-L 2WD

Invoice = 26,000.00 Destination = 830.00 Inv./Dest. = 26,830.00

2% Holdbk. of 27,695 = 554.00 Doc. Fees = 699.00

STARTING PRICE = 25,557.00 (-1273.00 UNDER INVOICE)

Invoice = 26,655.00 Destination = 830.00 Inv./Dest. = 27,485.00

2% Holdbk. of 28,395 = 568.00 Doc. Fees = 699.00

STARTING PRICE = 26,218.00 (-1267.00 UNDER INVOICE)

Invoice = 27,404.00 Destination = 830.00 Inv./Dest. = 28,234.00

2% Holdbk. of 29,195 = 584.00 Doc. Fees = 699.00

STARTING PRICE = 26,951.00 (-1283.00 UNDER INVOICE)

Thank you for your help!

otops............. yes you got it. prices are correct

Thank you Brian! I'm going to start E-Mailing all of the dealerships that have been bugging me over the last week soon.

@brian125 said:
    buynewauto,

Invoice...................= 22,773

your quote...............=21,723

Total.......................= 1050 below invoice price plus 500 flex for financing= 1550 below.

what are dealers doc fee charges?? What state are you buying in?? If this dealer is not the closest to you see if another dealership closer will match or beat for the sale.

Hi Brian,
    The price of 21,223 w/o destination is from chicago area dealer and the best price that I got at my place Minneapolis is

Dealer 1 : 21,974 w/o destination ( $22804 with destination )( inclusive of flex cash)

Dealer 2 : 23,000 with destination ( inclusive of flex cash)

Dealer 3 : 22,950 With Destination ( inclusive of flex cash)

And many dealers are saying they will not match chicago area dealer quotes.

Does buying from a different state have more fees in tax ?; please let me know

This discussion has been closed.