Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Transmission?? - 2003 Trailblazer with 170k miles

quesocheesequesocheese Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet

Hello all. I have a 2003 Trailblazer with 170,000 miles. Just got word that the transmission is toast.

My question is, is it worth it to get it fixed for say $2500? I mean, how much longer can I expect it to last? I have kept up with oil changes and whatnot but not necessarily every recommended maintenance service. Just to give you an idea. Truck is in great shape otherwise, really. Just trying to get an idea what others would do. I would love to keep it if I can expect it to last at least another year or so, probably worth it. Thanks!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

If you love the truck, sure, fix it and keep it.

But it'd be nice to get a 12 month warranty on the rebuild.

• quesocheesequesocheese Member Posts: 2

Well I wouldn't say I love it, but I sure don't want another car payment right now. That's kind of what it comes down to, if I can be reasonably certain I can get at least another year out of it, it's a no brainer for me. The question is how certain can I be it will last another year.

I will check on the warranty offered That's a good idea.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2014

Well, it's always a gamble. I put $2600 into my '99 minivan in 2008 (plugs, CV, injectors) and have driven it ~75,000 miles since then.

Put another $1,200 in it last year (timing belt and set of tires) around 185,000 miles and have now put about 10,000 miles on it.

So the first big repair paid off fine, but if the van dies tomorrow, it wouldn't be such a great deal. But that's still about 7 months of car payments saved so far, and it's hard to get a car payment for under $300 a month, so from that train of thought, I'm still ahead of the game.

• jprocjproc Member Posts: 135

tough one to answer. 2 years ago my 12 year old van with 170k needed 2k of repairs-was going to get rid of it since timing belt change was coming due as well when dealer said he would change timing belt for $60 ( he had to pull engine for other repairs already)So I went for it year later another 2 k of repairs came up-so now 2 years and 35k miles later I have 4 k in repairs going in this now 14 yr old van. Right now I wish I had gotten rid of the car but a year or 2 from now if no more repairs I'll be patting myself on the back for being a genius.Still even now 4k of repairs in 24 months is like 160 a month-lot cheaper than a payment.Good luck whatever you decide