Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

What kind of accident, do you know? Sometimes minor fender benders don't matter so much, but you know, there's nothing like factory paint on a car like that. Any unibody damage or panel replacement is the Kiss of Death.

@breld said:
    That ZHP in Montana - found out it was in an accident last year. So unfortunately, it's priced well for a reason, and no longer on my radar.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

Sounds like a pretty solid approach, nyccarguy. A 3-row SUV, a roomy and efficient sedan, and a sports coupe covers pretty much all bases.

Having driven the Accord and Mazda6 before landing on the Passat, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I'd say the Passat is the most comfortable, in both space and ride, the Mazda is the sportiest, yet tightest in space, and the Accord is a great blend of the two.

Pricing was the primary driver in my decision - but at the time I thought I'd keep the 335xi. If I could do it over again, I'd probably still go with the Passat, but opt for a higher trim level. I'd stick with the 1.8t engine though (as opposed to the TDI) - I'm averaging right around 30 mpg overall, but the trip computer gets into the high 30's and even 40 on some long stretches of highway. Given the advantage of using regular gas and the traditional 6-speed auto (my preference over the DSG), that mileage is good enough for me.

The main thing I like about the Mazda and Honda is the tech features they offer such as blind-spot monitoring. VW doesn't offer that at all on the Passat (or any models, I believe).

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971

Drove a new Accord today with the stickers still on the window, hell, we had to pick up 18 of them bought new by Hertz and compared to the Passat, I liked the Accord better...just clicked all the boxes and everything was where it should be. Haven't driven the Mazda yet so can not comment but I liked the Accord so much better than the Passat. Both good vehicles though.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,069

Plus, the dealer contracts the leather out to a place that does nothing but that... There is a huge place, locally that does aftermarket add-ons for dealers.. Leather in Camrys is their biggest money maker.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539

I have actually not driven the Passat or Accord. Though I would like to drive the Accord. do like the looks of that and the Passat. Not sure how close the Passat is to the Jetta, but the Jetta drives well. Having sat in one, the Passat is like a limo in the back seat.

Honda does do a great job on Ergonomics. I am sure that the Accord will feel very close to the Pilot in terms of controls, etc.

I still don't think I would get something this large if I do need to get a new, new car (vs. used), but given the mileage if the price is right, just might.

I agree that when you have a 3 row (we did minivans) a mid-size sedan as a 2nd car is fine. We had the 2005 Accord and Odyssey for many years. Just 2 kids though. When they were younger, I had other sedans (Maxima, Mystique).

just wait until all the kids are out of car seats but still kid size. then you can get sporty, because they can fit into the back seat of a coupe!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    edited March 2014

Just popping in to say hi and see how many punches are on the old CCBA cards. I'm at ZERO for this year and until hubby buys an old pickup it will stay that way.

Daughter gets her license tomorrow cringe. She will drive the Explorer until she learns to drive a manual transmission then will switch off with the Focus when she needs to go somewhere. Her plan is to work this summer and save her money then put a nice down payment on a CPO Hyundai Elantra. We have been very impressed with Hyundai and how they have taken car of our older son's Elantra. When it blew the engine they put him in a rental car and fixed his car quickly with no question.

My '14 Explorer is closing in on 8 months old and just turned 12k today. Solid SUV, great on bad roads and very reliable, absolutely no warranty repairs. The '12 Focus has 40k on it and no issues at all, great little car.

I had my little boy on January 17th, life has been nuts since then! College + baby = no car shopping.....Not that I need to, I like my Explorer.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2014

akangle - 'I had my little boy on January 17th'

Congrats!

• Ray

No punch for me so far this year either . . .

2022 X3 M40i
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732

@akangl said:
    I had my little boy on January 17th, life has been nuts since then! College + baby = no car shopping.....Not that I need to, I like my Explorer.

Congrats! So, you did have a "punch" in 2014! Just, not a car. :p But, something even more expensive... and enjoyable!

My punch was 12/31/13. But, with the '02 possibly needing an engine rebuild/replacement, who knows...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346

@nyccarguy said:
    robbieg

All 3 kids actually fit "3 across" in the second row. When we load up the Pilot and head to the beach in the summer, it is just easy to throw everything in the back on top of the Honda cargo mat. When we've gone on a road trip vacation from CT to Charlotte, NC the past 2 summers we also keep all 3 kids in the second row.

We do get good use out of the 3rd row. When we pick my Grandma (she'll be 97 on April 22), she rides shot gun. My wife sits in the 2nd row with our daughter. The boys sit in the 3rd row. If we are coming home from somewhere and it is close to or past the kids' bedtime, we put the boys in the 3rd row because 1 of them will usually fall asleep (my almost 5 year old). If our daughter is awake and one of them is asleep, she'll call their name out and start whacking whoever is asleep next to her.

The sedan will be for my wife to drive during the week. Both boys will be going to the same school next year on the bus. So she'll drive the new car to work Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & use it to run errands with our daughter on Wednesdays. Since her commute is something like 6 miles round trip, it will allow us to lease and keep our payment low. She'll obviously take the Pilot on Saturdays when she's got all 3 kids. I'll take the new car (Passat, Accord, Legacy...) on Saturdays and will drive my Prelude weather and traffic permitting.

VW must really being trying to move metal. I see they are offering 0% for 72 months plus $750 bonus cash on Passat. Same deal on Jettas except only $500 bonus cash.

Our issue with "small" cars is really when the kids want to bring a friend home. We were standing in a parking lot last year with the RX and another kids mother was handing us his booster seat. At the time my kids were still in car seats. No way a kid was fitting between them. A lot more room when you are dealing with boosters. I think the Passat is bigger than an RX.

A few weeks ago a mother was raving about the Sequoia. She said that she needs it to haul around her kids and their friends. It all depends on how much carpoolking you do.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Their Friends are part of the mix! Hence the practicality of the minivan, plus a small car that's fun to drive so you don't lose your soul completely. Everybody has to decide what works for them.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Regarding Stick's post, the Passat drives more like the Jetta than say, an Accord, just because of the familiar VW feel. But, I do distinctly remember the Jetta I drove (much like Stick's son's) feeling more tossable, as you'd probably expect for its size. The Passat accelerates nicely, but it certainly isn't the most confident handler. That's one aspect I wish I could improve upon - just a little tighter feel on the road. But, of course, that "floatier" feel in the Passat also pays dividends in comfort and quietness in day-to-day driving.

So my stepdaughter turned 16 yesterday and passed her driving exam.

I gave her A3 a nice detailing today, and we had an in-dash Alpine nav unit installed, which we'll surprise her with this afternoon. The navigation itself was a bonus - we were looking to get a nice touchscreen interface with Bluetooth, but they had a good deal on the nav unit, and we thought that may come in handy when she goes off to college, or even perhaps as she drives to other high schools for volleyball.

She's scared to death of driving by herself. Which I think is a good thing. :)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793

@breld said:
    She's scared to death of driving by herself. Which I think is a good thing. :)

That is a good thing, as long as it doesn't translate into overly timid driving. That type of driver is as dangerous on the road as the fearless teens!

But, if she turned 16 yesterday (happy birthday to her!) and passed her test on the same day, she's clearly motivated do this right. A teen who appreciates what her parents do for her... that's a rare bird! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

You're totally right - you need to drive with some level of confidence and decisiveness.

Fortunately, she has a short drive to school on which she'll use to increase her comfort level.

It's stressful, but no doubt will have a nice impact on our overall schedule.

edited March 2014

BMW M235i - my second test drive.

Note: this M235i had been ordered with [ for whatever reason ] run flat Perelli all season tires.
    Cinturato P7s – size 225/40 x 18s – same size front & rear.

I drove another M235i this afternoon. I do not trust myself to make a decision to spend this amount of money [ close to $50,000 MSRP, loaded ] without taking at lease 2 test drives – preferably separated by more than a week.

Aside from the different tires mentioned above, this was fundamentally & dynamically the same as the previous unit I drove. I also drove this one as I drive my cars almost every day, year ‘round = sunroof in full rear tilt up. I used the paddle shifters extensively, shifting up and down at various RPM and throttle openings. Excellent engine TQ. Flexible and very quick at every speed and any RPM. [ Briefly up to 80 MPH = approx.. 2250 RPM in top gear. ] Excellent exhaust sounds - on acceleration & on the overrun. Obvious, but not obnoxiously loud. Just right, for me

The automatic may not shift quite as quickly as the best dual clutch gearboxes, but it is very quick, while also not jarring at all – kudos. Upshifts begin with no discernable delay between paddle shift movement and shift execution. The downshifts are similarly quick, with precise rev matching and smooth transitions. 8 gears may seem like a lot of shifting would be going on, but in Drive, unless you are watching the tachometer and listening to the engine, there is virtually no indication that shifting occurs. Smooth.

The ride was certainly OK with the run flat tires, but as certainly was better with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports non-run flats. The handling was very good, though I never approach cornering limits in any test drive. To me, it feels both agile and well planted. Secure & ‘tossable’ - fun.

I did the test drive with a substitute sales rep, as ‘mine’ was tied up when I arrived.
    So – after my drive, the sub went to fetch my sales rep, and the sales person [ name withheld ] said they had not driven one. In fact, said that they had not even seen one before this one arrived at the dealership [ 7 miles when I took the wheel. ] I volunteered to be a passenger if they wanted to take the opportunity to drive now.

I was rather surprised that the offer was accepted. The sales person [ a very good and very aggressive driver ] cornered harder than I have ever come close to in a test drive – also exceeded the speed limits by more than I would typically dare. It was very interesting to observe from the passenger seat. Absorbing the sensations without having to also pay close attention to traffic and road conditions. The tires never gave any hint of being overworked. Certainly not dangerous driving, but far beyond anything I would dream of doing – even with a well broken in, used BMW - let alone one with barely 15 miles on the odometer, at the start of this second ‘test drive’.

So. Very, very impressed, I am. I think it better fits my wants & needs, at the price point, than anything else currently available. Worth every dime of what I expect would be a negotiated transaction price – to me.

Want one. Now. But will likely wait a while & order one later this year – or early next.

• Ray

From a BMW press release about the new 2 series – ‘Addictive power: six-cylinder in-line engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology.’

‘Addictive: very enjoyable in a way that makes you want to do or have something again’. I agree.

2022 X3 M40i
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    edited March 2014

Good review. I'm guessing no Euro delivery this time?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

ED is unlikely this time, for several reasons - but not completely out of the question. We shall see......

2022 X3 M40i

@graphicguy, you need to come to Jersey to look at Caddies. I had been seeing the ads this week for a $100 visa card for a test drive. so I went on-line, and looked for the expected certificate. and ended up with a "request a test drive" screen, which I clicked on, and eventually got a robo email from a salesdude. So, I had some time today, and dropped in at the dealer (no appointment or anything) and asked for Noel.

he was there, but involved with a delivery or about to be. So we chatted briefly, and I told him I was most likely looking at late spring to make a move. He was perfectly fine, and just pulled out a test drive sheet. I filled it out, called the wife to get the VIN for the Volvo, and he said he would put it through, and gave me a card and brochure, telling me to come back in the spring when I was ready. Did sit in an ATS on the showroom floor and chatted with him briefly. It was actually a nice car, and very non-caddy.

overall, a very pleasant experience. Nice dealer too (a fairly new "palace" type of place). So 10 minutes of my time to sit in a new car, and collect $100 at some point. Hard to argue with that.

@nyc, while I was out "running errands" (also known as skipping work because I did not feel like working this afternoon) I stopped at the honda dealer and test-sat a Civic and Accord. The 2014 Civic was a nice improvement, and the EXL actually has a power seat I could probably live with. Just typical Honda over-lumbar drivers seat, which unfortunately was not adjustable.

The Accord though was nice. Power lumbar adjustment, and pretty comfy seats. nice interior. Quire roomy. would be interested in taking a test drive to see how the drivetrain with the CVT works. But it was a nice package. Probably not quite as roomy as the Passat, but the trunk was big.

also stopped to look at a dealer used car lot (used to be the Jeep dealer, but back in the downsize days, it was converted to the dealer chain used car "superstore"). Saw a couple of BMW converts so I stopped. a black on black 2009 128i (19k asking). And an interesting looking 1999 Z3. 8K asking with 104,000 miles on it. A 2.8 5 speed. Green (odd color) with a green top. Not something you see very often.

but I ended up wandering around with the salesguy looking at the sea of Jeeps. Wranglers as far as the eye could see. I like those. Sat in a nice orange 20115 speed. Comfy. Need to drive one of these. Not sure I would want a soft top though, since he said it takes like 20-25 minutes to erect or take off. What I did not realize is that the hardtop came with T-tops that covered the entire front seat area. That could be a good compromise for most of the year. And I have to admit, much easier to get in and out of a Wrangler than a low-slung sports car!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427

@stickguy

When I attended the RCC auto show back in January, I sat in an Accord EX. Honda definitely spent good money making sure the cockpit and interior materials are 1st rate. That makes 2 of us that are interested in an Accord test drive. I also sat in a Civic and thought, "I could live with this."

Wranglers are awesome. 2011 is the old power train. 2012 + is the Pentastar V6. From what I've heard, you can't go wrong either way with a stick. I could be wrong, but I think the 2011 Wrangler sticks are 6 speeds. That's a car almost like a Miata in the way it holds its value. People are always looking for used ones. You'd most likely be able to sell it in 2 - 3 years for not too much less than you paid, especially with the miles you drive. Speaking of high resale, I'm sure you could (if you were so inclined) strike a lease deal (10K per year) that would keep the payment reasonable, then sell it for more than the end of lease buyout is worth.

I like the idea of the hard top with the "freedom panel roof." If you look on youtube, there are lots of "how to" videos on how to install and uninstall Jeep Wrangler hard tops and soft tops. The soft top is designed to fit very snug. Before reinstalling, it should be left out in the sun to expand.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

thanks for the pointer on the V6. The salesguy did point out the new interior in 2011, but was not up on (or admitting to) the engine change.

interesting reviews. Not quite sure if I would end up loving it, or hating it (as many people quickly end up doing). pretty sure my daughter would think it was cool as heck (but may freak out trying to drive it), and my wife will hate it. Still, may just take the kid out tomorrow and take one for a spin. pretty sure I would have to get a stick, so she would have the joy of trying to learn manual driving again on something a bit different than an Accord!

So confusing.

Sedan test for my wife tomorrow. She's going to a birthday party in Central NJ about 90 some odd miles from here. She is taking son #2 (almost 5), my daughter, & her Mom. I actually took the day off from work tomorrow to see son #1 play hockey. He just started learning this year and seems to really enjoy it. Since tomorrow is the last day of the winter session, I figured I'd take the day off and watch him play.

Anyway, so my wife is going over what else I need to do tomorrow. I interject by saying: "Going to get my car washed, it is filthy." The answer to that is "oh" followed by a pause. Then my wife says that she was looking forward to taking my car and that since I was going to the car was he anyway, that the truck needs to be cleaned. So son #1 (with his gigantic hockey bag) and I are taking the Pilot to Hockey, the car wash, then little league try outs. My wife, her Mom, son #2, & my daughter will be taking my BMW to NJ. The Britax seat and the booster seat fit fine, she's taking a small box of baby clothes for her friend and a birthday present. This would be as "loaded up" as she would get if the 5 of us aren't together, so a sedan should fit her needs just perfectly.

6 months to go until my lease is up!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

No. 1 Sone is lobbying for a double-punch; the fiat dealer still has a Rosso(red) Abarth with heated seats and no hole in the roof for $20K($6K off MSRP and they just took a silver 128i in trade and are asking $18K. Son's theory is to trade in the Mazda and X3 and get the 1er for him and the Abarth for me.
    Right.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@rayainsw said:
    ED is unlikely this time, for several reasons - but not completely out of the question. We shall see......

Ray....I really enjoyed hearing of your M235i test drive. I really like the twin scroll turbo 6. I had that in my E92. Only, mine had the 7-speed ZF trans. And, it performed as smooth as you described the 8-speed.

That drivetrain, and the one in the Audi S4 are two of the best combos I've ever driven.

Not in the market, but I really do like what I'm reading and hearing about the M235i.

The real question is, for $50K, you can get a 335i.

stickguy....that sort of segues into the Caddy ATS. I found it every bit as nice as the BMW...very well put together with very nice materials. IF there's one thing that GM does well, it's their automatic transmissions (manual trans....not so much). BMW used to source their automatics from GM.

IF you pop for the Caddy V6, while not as responsive or as torquey as BMW's 3.0, it is competitive. But, I like the ATS's 2.0 turbo better than BMW's 4 cyl turbo. The Caddy does indeed handle and steer better than the F30 BMWs, though.

The big question, is the BMW worth what would probably end up being $5K more once negotiations are done, than that Cadillac ATS, equpped like for like?

I'm sure a lot of people might be asking the same question.

RB.....two punches in one crack of the bat? That would be impressive. ;)

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

'The real question is, for $50K, you can get a 335i.' - graphicguy

I hear you - and if 4 doors and a larger trunk were absolute requirements, I would consider the 335i sedan.

For me, though, with [ equipped as closely as I can configure them on the BMW web site ] a MSRP difference of almost exactly $6,000 -

[ 335i Total MSRP $55,475 - M235i = $49,575 ]

.. and the performance of the M235i, I chose that one.

• Ray

Just me - YMMV

2022 X3 M40i

@rayainsw said:
    'The real question is, for $50K, you can get a 335i.' - graphicguy

I hear you - and if 4 doors and a larger trunk were absolute requirements, I would consider the 335i sedan.

For me, though, with [ equipped as closely as I can configure them on the BMW web site ] a MSRP difference of almost exactly $6,000 -

[ 335i Total MSRP $55,475 - M235i = $49,575 ]

.. and the performance of the M235i, I chose that one.

• Ray

Just me - YMMV

That makes sense. I know $50K is a shade on the low side for a 335i. Add an "x" to it, a little of this, a little of that, all of a sudden you're talking a delta of more than just a few thousand.

Like you, I don't necessarily need two extra doors and the back seat in any car. The ones I like just happen to come with those things. :)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,253

@graphicguy said:
    Like you, I don't necessarily need two extra doors and the back seat in any car. The ones I like just happen to come with those things. :)

So, will BMW release a 2-series "gran coupe"?

Interesting story to relate. On Friday, my wife attended an event at the convention center downtown. Instead of driving and paying to park, she decided to take the light rail. There are free parking garages attached to the station she used.

Imagine her surprise to find a ticket on her windshield when she returned. Since we live outside of the transportation district, there is a $20 parking charge at the light rail station. Fortunately, the ticket was just a warning so no fine was due.

But still, not very encouraging to promote light rail. And, someone had to run the plate to figure out where we live.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited March 2014

@Michaell@Edmunds said:
    So, will BMW release a 2-series "gran coupe"? Interesting story to relate. On Friday, my wife attended an event at the convention center downtown. Instead of driving and paying to park, she decided to take the light rail. There are free parking garages attached to the station she used.

Imagine her surprise to find a ticket on her windshield when she returned. Since we live outside of the transportation district, there is a $20 parking charge at the light rail station. Fortunately, the ticket was just a warning so no fine was due.
    But still, not very encouraging to promote light rail. And, someone had to run the plate to figure out where we live.

Michaell....good question. BMW seems to be setting their sights on the 80s-90s business model of GM.....slice their models and their market segments so thin, that they have models that, save for a few body panels, they're the same. For example, the M2, 3 sedan, the 3 hatch abd the 4 coupe are practically the same car.

The parking ticket? So much for encouraging efficient mass transit use.

@michaell

Interesting story about your wife taking the light rail. We've got trains that run into the city. Stamford is a major stop, so there are always express trains. The thing is, we NEVER take it. Even the off peak fares aren't cheap. By the time I drive to the train station, find parking, walk to the station, buy 2 tickets, & wait for the train to come, it is 30 minutes already. By that time I could be 3/4 of the way into Manhattan. I usually find street parking. And then there is th trip home. Only 2 trains per hour. 1 Local, 1 Express. So I'll take my chances regarding traffic.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@nyccarguy said:
    michaell

I usually find street parking.

Are you saying that there is street parking in Manhattan ? Pretty amazing.

got ambitious today. No, not cars, but had to drag out way too many tools. Finally hung the TV in the bedroom that we bought about 6 weeks ago or so. Even surprised myself getting it lined up correctly and perfectly level on the first try! Probably a little higher than I would like it, but the wife seems happy with it.

now just have to get some sort of tube to hide the wires hanging down, since I wasn't willing to cut holes in the wall to fish wires!

@jayrider

Yes there is. Especially after 6pm & on weekends. There are a lot of "commercial loading & unloading zones" or "no standing 6am - 7pm Monday - Friday." You just need to know where to look. Or I'll park at a Muni-Meter that expires @ 7pm, then keep the car there for the rest of the evening...

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,253

Got a recall notice from GM for the ION. The letter states that if I've already paid for the repairs, I will be able to submit a reimbursement form when they notify me that parts are available.

So - I'll get reimbursed (I hope) but it will be a month or two before I can begin the process.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Fire Sales

Looks like 2015 is going to have some "all new" models and body styles. This is good for the next nyccarguy CCBA punch as it will be "fire sale time" on 2014 leftovers when I'm looking to buy around Labor Day weekend. So far the 2014 Legacy and now 2014 Passat. I'm very excited to start test driving and narrowing down my decision. While the Accord won't be an orphan like the others, Honda always seems to have aggressive deals over the big holiday weekends.

Labor Day is a big push time for Honda.

I highly support all 3 choices. Personally like the Mazda 6 too but may not be quite as back seat roomy.

Drive them all and report back. I did drive the legacy and liked it a lot.

On Saturday, we had to take back the A3 to the car stereo store 'cause the maps weren't showing up. They ended up replacing the unit - doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the unit, but we shall see.

But since we had to wait around a bit while they did all that, wife and I took the time to look at a couple cars I've been curious about - always thinking of what that next car could be. :)

• 2011 Infiniti M37x - I had driven the previous gen, but not this current one, the styling of which I really like. At first, it definitely felt like a larger sedan (whereas the Passat actually "drives" pretty small), but once I got used to it, it was a nice vehicle. As expected, the V6 delivers quite a punch, and the 7-speed automatic was much smoother, of course, than the 5-speed unit in the previous model.

• 2013 BMW 528i xdrive - I certainly felt more "at home" in the BMW. I preferred the styling inside and out on the 528i over the M37x, but not by a great margin. Maybe it's what I'm used to, but I also liked the feel of the 2.0 turbo over the V6 in the Infiniti, and certainly would prefer the greater mileage on the BMW.

Overall, I have to say I was somewhat unimpressed. My hope was that both of these would offer a more sporty driving experience than my "lowly" Passat, but at the end of the day, what I liked more about them comes down mostly to the styling of the luxury makes, inside and out. I also appreciated the upgraded features on the cars I drove, but much of that could be had in the VW as well.

And those reasons (styling, ergonomics, luxury nameplate) are all perfectly fine reasons to upgrade in the future, but my wife and I were remarking on how we don't buy our BMWs for the styling (though we do like them for that) - we buy them for the driving dynamics. And consistent with car magazine impressions, the new 5 leaves something to be desired in that area.

Having said all that, as the used car prices continue to fall on these, they do become more attractive - this 2013 CPO 528i xdrive, with Nav and only 13k miles, was $38k.

I have driven 3 or 4 BMW 5 Series sedans.
    To me, the size is a big factor in the driving experience.
    Since I do not require that size, the 'upgrade' is actually
    a downgrade in most performance aspects - for me.

• Ray

2 Series seems 'just right' sized - for me.......

2022 X3 M40i
  • coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170

i drove the Caddy ATS 2L turbo, Volvo S60T5, and Audi A3 this weekend; after deciding I could not do a 'hot hatch' as a daily drive, although really wanted the VW GTI, I expanded the search

this won't be as nice a review as the BMW M review :)

Volvo- really nice fit and finish; seats not as comfortable as I expected; slight turbo lag; would like to see if they Volvo can retrofit Apple CarPlay into Volvo-- salesman did not know answer

Audi-- smallest but most intuitive/ minimalist interior; manumatic (DSG) worked great; may had been more of an issue if coming from a manual than auto;; I think it would be great, as long as no passengers in back

Caddy-- supprised how nice engine/drivetrain were; not sure I like the styling and in the limited drive,CUE was not bad; As was mentioned, after I did drive the dealer had me feel out paperwork for $100 Visa card; Caddy also has 0%APR at least until end of month. T5

will have to do extended test drive later.

tom

That was still with the old school 2.5t engine in the Volvo, right? I am not sure when the 60 will have the new 2.0 engine that is out in the v60.

I find those seats super comfy.

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346

@nyccarguy said:
    Sedan test for my wife tomorrow. She's going to a birthday party in Central NJ about 90 some odd miles from here. She is taking son #2 (almost 5), my daughter, & her Mom. I actually took the day off from work tomorrow to see son #1 play hockey. He just started learning this year and seems to really enjoy it. Since tomorrow is the last day of the winter session, I figured I'd take the day off and watch him play.

Anyway, so my wife is going over what else I need to do tomorrow. I interject by saying: "Going to get my car washed, it is filthy." The answer to that is "oh" followed by a pause. Then my wife says that she was looking forward to taking my car and that since I was going to the car was he anyway, that the truck needs to be cleaned. So son #1 (with his gigantic hockey bag) and I are taking the Pilot to Hockey, the car wash, then little league try outs. My wife, her Mom, son #2, & my daughter will be taking my BMW to NJ. The Britax seat and the booster seat fit fine, she's taking a small box of baby clothes for her friend and a birthday present. This would be as "loaded up" as she would get if the 5 of us aren't together, so a sedan should fit her needs just perfectly.

6 months to go until my lease is up!

Funny you mentioned the hockey bag. Both of our boys play and the bags are huge. We need a car where we can fit two bags. The RX is super tight with both bags. We have the hockey tower bags which are wheeled. Kids like them because they can pull them but it they are huge. Dad would much rather have the old school duffle bags. We even brought the bags into the showroom to check to see if they fit.

I always get a kick out of the Subie Forrester commercial with the Mom and 3 boys going to a hockey game in the Subie because there is no way she fits 3 hockey bags in it.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    edited March 2014

Mainly posting this to give Mr. Shift the willys----

What do you make of this low mile offering?

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4378658524.html

Almost want to call just to get the back story. Even a low milage sucker like me wouldn't trust it. From the spelling in the ad I'm wondering if the milage is a typo.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662

Caddy-- supprised how nice engine/drivetrain were; not sure I like the styling and in the limited drive,CUE was not bad; As was mentioned, after I did drive the dealer had me feel out paperwork for $100 Visa card; Caddy also has 0%APR at least until end of month. T5

will have to do extended test drive later.

tom

Local Caddy dealer was running a radio ad offering a $100 for a test drive. Seemed nuts to just open the door to every mooch in listening range. How did you get your invitation? I missed that. What kind of information do they want on that paperwork?

$100 for an hour's work driving a car I'd like to try is an easy pay day but I'd feel guilty since I'd probably never buy one.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

No invite. Caddy running tv ads for this. I went in. Just basic name, address, email. And vin # of a 2004 or newer car you own.

I spent 10 minutes. Didn't even get the test drive!

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

My wife seems to have a crush on the Nissan Rogue. She doesn't really care about cars, but has pointed them a few times now all on her own. A 2014 drove past us yesterday and she said "What is that? I really like it." for like the umpteenth time, then was genuinely surprised when I say its a Rogue. Its CUV groundhog day over here.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

100.00 to test drive a car? They must be desperate!

I can't imagine the long lines of strokes that would be standing there!

Honda once mailed out a bunch of certificates where by test driving a car, they would receive of all things in the mail, a pair of walkie talkies.

I remember the card that we had to sign were bright yellow and when a "customer" would walk in with a card in their hands, the sales staff would scatter.

Luckilly we didn't get many takers and I don't believe we sold one car as a result.

Oh, yeah,..well...... depending on what part of Manhattan. But places like upper west side, or upper east side, no problem. Cars are always coming and going.

San Francisco is far worse IMO. They use residential permits and brutal levels of enforcement.

@jayrider said:

Are you saying that there is street parking in Manhattan ? Pretty amazing.

• coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170

stickguy:
    Volvo s60 T5 is turbo 5; the 2L is out but not AWD until this fall; so they are really trying to lower inventory

the Caddy dealer was complaining that someone walked in off the street to get the $100 right then! Then the customer complained and made a scene. The local dealer required ID, Insurance and current registration

@mrshift

Many times I'll park on the upper west side and take the subway downtown. You can also park on a lot of the Avenues after 7:00 pm. I think they are trying to enact legislation like in SF & Boston to issue resident parking permits so non residents cant park on the street. In the outer boroughs, there are a lot of people who register & insure their cars out of state (PA, NC, SC, GA, FLA...)

San Francisco's system is screwy. Some residential permits are only good for one block! Now is that ridiculous or what? If you park in a 2 hour zone and don't move, it's $65 fine. If you move your car before two hours, but don't move it an entire block away, it's a $65 fine.