Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango idling up and down

2»

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Powertrain control module.
  • papaespypapaespy Member Posts: 1

2000 Dodge Durango 5.7L V8

Had the same issue where the idle would surge while at a stop light or in park. Died a few times while idling. Replaced both the Idle Air Control Valve (or motor its called both) and Throttle Position Sensor and now she idles perfectly at 600 RPM. In my case, I believe the IAC motor was the culprit. Upon removing the part, I noticed it the plunger was extended more than the new part (It was stuck in the out position) and dirty as hell. Replaced both anyway since I was in there. Parts are available for approx $100 for both from Advance Auto. Make sure when you call you get somebody that knows what they are doing. Yes, they carry the parts they are NOT dealer only items!

See attached image for location of parts!

tps.gif 18.1K
  • patrick0099patrick0099 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    I have seen a lot of people with this problem so I wanted to take the time to reply. First off, Thank you all for your input, it helped me solve my idle problems with my 2000 Dodge Durango 4.7l 4x4. My Durango was having many of the same issues listed in many posts. Erratic idle, it would rev up to 2k RPMs when I first started it the immediately settle back down to around 800 and start going up and down randomly, and while sitting at a light and driving down the road it would increase and decrease my throttle setting randomly. This also only happened in the summer and vanished during the winter.

I took the first step by replacing the TPS, this didn't help. So I took out the IAC Motor and noticed that it was caked with carbon. I used a carb cleaner and sprayed it off, using a rag to clean it. I also pulled out the piston a bit and sprayed inside it good. I then sprayed out the hole it sit in and then reinstalled the IAC and started the truck. At first it reved to 2k RPMs and sat there for a good 15 seconds. I reved the engine a few times and when it continued to stay at 2k RPMs I thought to myself, Well I guess I'll just be replacing it.

I turned off the truck waited a few seconds and recranked it, it cranked fine and started idling exactly at 600 RPM, I took it for a long test drive and it drove like it was brand new. I hope this helps someone else, and keep up the great posts. Its posts like this one that have helped me handle all the little quirks our beloved Durango's can get. I love mine dearly and it has been a loyal member of our family now for almost 15 years.

Best of luck to the rest of you having this issue!

-Patrick
  • teslapcteslapc Member Posts: 1
    One last thing people forget is that the 5.9 and some other engines are very sensitive to "Cross talk".

The Main spark wire must be at least 1 inch away from all other cables at all times.

Any close proximity will cause the car or truck to run badly.

Proper cabling is here: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

This is often the cause of bad idling after a tune up.