Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Any help? transmission problem? - 1997 VW Jetta

thepoopsterthepoopster Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
I have a 97 jetta trek that is having problems. Grinding noises from transfer , no reverse, hard to shift, loud winding noise. I think it's may be the trough out baring thing from what I'm reading. What can a do? I don't want to attempt to fix the wrong thing , or waist my time on something that may be fried. Help?

Comments

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

Sounds like it could need a new clutch, which would include a new throw out bearing. But before you do that, you might want to check the clutch fluid level just in case. Could simply be low and need topping off. While you are at it, check the transmission fluid level, as well.

Good luck!

• thepoopsterthepoopster Member Posts: 3
    .how do I check the clutch fluid an it's a manual. I thought those didn't have transmission fluid?
  • MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

Hi. The clutch system in your car shares the same fluid as the braking system, so check the brake fluid reservoir to see if the fluid there is low. If it is low, that probably means there is a leak somewhere -- usually the master cylinder or the slave cylinder, or both -- that will need to be addressed.

Manual transmissions also contain fluid, or gear oil, to keep the gears lubricated and help regulate operating temperatures. To check the level, you'll need to have the car on a lift or jack stands and open the fill plug on the transmission housing. The fluid level there should be just below the fill plug opening.

If you're relatively new at this, I would recommend taking the car to a trusted independent mechanic for this work. Try search Yelp for Volkswagen Repair and then pick someone with very good reviews.

• thepoopsterthepoopster Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. I will check those things as soon as I get home. Will the fill plug be easy to find? I'm pretty sher the break fluid is topd off.
  • playaplyaplayaplya Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 volkswagon jetta. Iam having a transmission issue. if I start the car in the morning or when it sits for awhile the shifter will not go into drive. I have to wait until the car warms up and pump the brakes before the shifter will release. I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Have someone check your brake lights while the shifter is inoperative to see if they come on or not. If you don't have brake lights then the brake switch itself is likely failing.