Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buying a New Car

acaron85acaron85 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Mazda

Hi All,
My husband and I are having a battle right now about car buying, we currently have a 2007 Mazda 3 Sedean that is approaching the 200,000 KM mark which is equivalent of 123,000 miles. We haven't done a clutch or brake job on it yet, and I am worried at any moment all these expenses are going to start racking up all at once.

I am trying to convince him to buy a new 2014 Mazda 3 Sport GS (hatchback)...would like a change from the sedan. This car has so many more features than our 2007, I absolutely love the 2014! We car pool to work therefore only need 1 vehicle, and we do a lot of driving as I have family that lives 5 hours away. We both work and could more than afford the payments. Am I wrong to want to upgrade to a new car with more features?

Best Answers

• Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Answer ✓

@acaron85 said:
    Hi Karen@Edmunds No, we don't need the trade-in, and yes the 2007 is paid for. He is a
    "drive it until it dies" kind of guy! We would end up selling the 2007 privately if we end up getting a new one, we don't have a need for a 2nd car as we live in a suburb of a big city and we carpool together, and public transit is readily available, if we had a 2nd car it would sit the majority of the time.

Ahhh, I see. The thought of a big loan looming over you for years makes me queasy too. Okay, so I guess you need to present some numbers to him that may sway him to your side.

Go to our Used Cars page and use the Used Car Appraisal calculator to see what you might possibly get in a private sale for the 2007. Then go to the 2014 Mazd3 Hatchback page and input your zip code. This will give you results of available models in your area, plus there are reviews and a build your own calculator. Then you can check out our Auto Calculators page to figure out what you can afford to buy, lease, maintenance costs, etc. A comparison of the maintenance costs on a 2007 vs. a 2014 might be helpful.

If all else fails, kidnap him and go to a dealership for a test drive. Perhaps the new car smell will be so intoxicating he can no longer resist. :p

Answers

• Options
    MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2014

That's a pretty tough decision. It will almost always cost less to maintain your existing car than to buy a brand new one. However, when you buy a new car, you get a host of upgrades -- safety, fuel economy, comfort, etc. -- plus a factory warranty for peace of mind, so there are certainly benefits to that, as well.

One of our Editors -- who is also a regular poster here (as @rm2008‌) -- has written an article called Fix Up or Trade Up? that can walk you through the decision making process step by step.

By the way, the 2014 Mazda3 is getting outstanding reviews, so it's a great choice if you do decide to buy a new car.

Good luck!

• Options

Mark@Edmunds
    Thanks for the article on the 2014 Mazda 3...it makes it hard to justify putting money into my featureless 2007!

• Options

Hi Karen@Edmunds No, we don't need the trade-in, and yes the 2007 is paid for. He is a
    "drive it until it dies" kind of guy! We would end up selling the 2007 privately if we end up getting a new one, we don't have a need for a 2nd car as we live in a suburb of a big city and we carpool together, and public transit is readily available, if we had a 2nd car it would sit the majority of the time.

I am just looking to upgrade something newer and would like to have the space the hatchback has, and I also love all the features the 2014 Mazda offers...such as the sky-activ engine, and having the extra sixth gear as opposed to only having 5. It's just little things. I just love everything about the 2014 and feel it's time to change, and I would rather put money into buying a new car as opposed to having to start putting money in something that is 7 years old. Is their a compromise to be had? I would opt for a used...except the 2012-2013 models don't offer some of the features that I love about the 2014, and especially the styling of the 2014, the other models don't even come close! The biggest issue for my husband is he doesn't want another hefty car loan, but we'd try to save up at least 30% of the purchase price for a down payment.