Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Malibu

fixit16fixit16 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet

Ignition key will not go all the way to off position. Car does go fully into park. Is there a switch that could be bad?

Answers

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Are you dealing with the steering wheel lock preventing the key from turning to off and not being able to be removed? Happens sometimes if I park with the wheels turned and there's a bit of pressure on the steering wheel. Just putting a little pressure on the steering wheel one way or the other relieves that pressure and lets the key turn off and come out.

Give us some more details if that's not it!

• fixit16fixit16 Member Posts: 6

No I tried that. Moved car to flat ground, wiggled shifter, turned steering wheel, still no go. Have heard of others having same problem but no solutions

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

This sounds like a problem with the switch that the shifter hits when it's moved into park that allows the key to be removed. Push the shifter lever forward and hold in place and see if the key can be removed.

I recall seeing pictures of a Cobalt console with the top off showing the shifter mechanism and the small switch at the top that doesn't get the contact depressed due to wear. I believe that was what kept the switch from being able to be turned to Off and then the key removed.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@imidazol97 said:
    This sounds like a problem with the switch that the shifter hits when it's moved into park that allows the key to be removed. Push the shifter lever forward and hold in place and see if the key can be removed.

I recall seeing pictures of a Cobalt console with the top off showing the shifter mechanism and the small switch at the top that doesn't get the contact depressed due to wear. I believe that was what kept the switch from being able to be turned to Off and then the key removed.

I believe that may be called Brake Transaxle Shift Interlock (BTSI) I other vehicles it can be wire to it that has issues (frayed ETC)

• fixit16fixit16 Member Posts: 6

Took it to dealer it was a solenoid/ switch on shifter and something else on the shifter. Cost $ 400

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

@fixit16 said:
    Took it to dealer it was a solenoid/ switch on shifter and something else on the shifter. Cost $ 400

Hang onto your receipt for that. Watch the recalls carefully now. They have begin recalling for the lock cylinder that's on one end of the module at the steering wheel and the ignition switch electrical part is on the other end. There might be recalls added for the ignition locking mechanism as well.

You might get a refund as these recalls move through the system. You may have to contact GM directly.

I was in the right area for the problem at least.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147

A reporter would like to speak to a GM owner whose car was part of the latest rounds of recalls and had all necessary recall work completed. If this is you, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, 4/15/14 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews