Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

In 2011 I purchased a 2005 Mini Cooper S convertible. It now has 120k miles.

gmamerrygmamerry Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in MINI

I am trying to decide if I want to do more repairs on the vehicle, or park it in the garage and sell it next year when I get the title paid off. Will have Paid $13k for purchase.
I have already had to pay for a rebuilt transmission, new supercharger and pulley, front brakes, costing more then +$8000 along with Motor, Windshield Wiper $852.43 and Motor, Cooling Fan - stage one low speed of fan was not working $680.72

NOW the car needs the following
REAR BRAKES approximately $600
THIRD set of run flat tires approximately $1000-$1200
AND it has a Gasket, Oil Pan leaking oil $610
Crank Sensor O-ring leaking oil $602
Power steering hoses starting to leak $600
Passenger side engine mount leaking fluid $275
Upper strut mounts are worn/cracking and will cause clunking noise over bumps $900
AND the convertible top will need new cables and seals by next summer $800

Should I spend any more money on this car or park it and trade it in next year on something different.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Answers

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Wow! I know those were Money Pits but not to that extent!

I would drop that car like a bad habit!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

you are certainly being charged an arm and a leg for some of these repairs. Brakes shouldn't cost even half that for one wheel set of brake pads; you don't need run-flat tires, you can get a perfectly fine (even better) set of regular radials for $600; I had my low stage fan module replaced for $200 on my MINI.

If you can keep repairs and maintenance down to around $150 a month, that to me is acceptable; more than that you really should think about bailing out on this car or at least bailing out on whoever is fixing it.