Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • edlegueedlegue Member Posts: 6
    I recently bought a 2004 Yukon XL SLT with 17,900 miles. I think I got a pretty good deal on it but I am concerned with the mileage:engine hours ratio. At 17,900 the engine hours read 744, which gives you an average of 24 MPH. I don't know if there is such a thing as and national average
    but 24 MHP seems pretty low. The deal went fairly easy and the car was priced at least a couple thousand less than others with comparable stats. I know it's tough to screw with the odometer but something bugs me about this car. Runs good, smells good and I love the vehicle. I suppose that if I didn't have the hour meter it would not have occurred to me. Any comments please.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Sounds reasonable, if the previous owner had a lousy commute. I bet my average is not much higher on weekdays. You really can never know, they may have idled in park for long periods. A lot of men sit in the car with the AC running while waiting for their wife to come out of a store. And the school down the road from me has so many moms waiting in their cars, I guess nobody rides the bus any more. They start lining up a good 30 minutes early and sit there with the engine idling until school lets out.

It's logical that stop and go, slow driving, is tougher on the vehicle than all highway miles. But a 2004 with only 17,900 seems fairly low to me actually. I wouldn't worry about it. There's a risk you take with any used car, but the money savings probably more than outweighs it.
  • rainbud66rainbud66 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Yukon XL 4wd w/ a 3.73 rear end. The rear end has some noise and the dealer told me it's likely the ring and pinion gear needs replacing. The car goes into the dealer this week. Since the rear end needs to be rebuilt could I switch to a 4.10 rear end? Would I have to do something to the front end differential since it's a 4wd?

thanks in advance for any advice
  • bremerbuttjerbremerbuttjer Member Posts: 1
    Hi there I am new here as well.. the trim is supposed to be wood and it says "Black Cherry Woodgrain" imdeed. There is a company that actually makes after market manufacturer matching trim for the Yukon XL Denali www.sherwooddash.com

I also have my own problem which I hope someone can help me with.. I own a 2004 Yukon XL Denali with the same color trim as described above. Now, on the ashtray cover and cupholder cover, silverish mat finish just started to peel off..I can actually wipe it away with a damp cloth. I was told that this is a common problem that is also evident in Hummers. It seems to me that this is a manufactuerers defect and there should be a recall ?? Does anyone have further information regarding this or know how to fix it ?

thanks !!
  • rerrer Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Denali with 58,000 miles. It was always well maintained with oil changes every 3,000 miles. It started using oil at about 50,000 miles using a quart of oil between oil changes. It has now progressed to using a quart of oil every 500 miles. No leaks are present. GM suggests that this may be "normal" for an engine with that amount of milage. I find it unbeliveable! I paid a world class price for the vehicle, I expect a lot better performance that this. I've owned many GM vehicles going back to the '60s. The Denali is the absolute worst. If this is the best GM can do, they deserve to go out of business. Certainly, my GM owning days will soon be behind me.
  • jjobevjjobev Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Yukon XL with appox 50K miles. When ever I go over bumps I hear a squeaking sound. I had a 2000 yukon xl that made a similar sound. The 2002 model did not always make the sound. The dealer said they could not locate the cause of the problem and I did not press them very hard on it. I sometimes also hear the sound as soon as I take my foot off the breaks (for instance at a stop sign). Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? I also have BF Goodrich All Terrain tires. Since I have had the problem on two vehicles, I would imagine it has to be fairly common. Thanks
  • eside61eside61 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2006 Yukon Denali XL with Air Ride Suspension. I took it to a Les Schwab shop that does tires and Lowering. They used an H & R Lowering kit which consisted of torsion keyes, dropped springs etc. Truck looks cool but they couldnt lower the rear anymore. Its supposed to be a 3 inch drop. Then I did some research on lowering kits. SOme sites recommended that I should replace the premium shocks with standards. Then I called another shop and the tech guy said that most likely the job wasnt done right and the sensors need to be repositioned. He said if I change the shocks and the truck drops, the sensors are going to tell the computer to lift, and the compressors are going to be on all the time. I need help to what I need to do. I called the shop where I got the work done and they said its normal which I think is a lie. Has anyone dealt with this before? What can I do??????
  • eside61eside61 Member Posts: 2
    They call it a 6 door because the back cargo area has 2 doors that open up!
  • awf_axisawf_axis Member Posts: 136
    I've never heard of H & R. Most popular kits already address the rear position sensor by providing a shorter rod, or a tool to put a 90 degree bend in it.

In my case, I did a lowering on my own by replacing the springs (2 jacks), and simply moved the sensor along the control rod (over the little bump), and was able to dial in the perfect level. I also rethreaded the rod onto the other side. You have to look at the sensor to understand. Basically, you're moving the mounting point on the rod away from the front of the vehicle, which has the same affect as shortening the rod, thus fooling the computer into allowing the lower ride.

McGaughy's kits have you bend the rod, Hotchkiss (mine) provides a shorter rod. The last resort is changing the shocks from stock because the computer will have a fit.

The cleanist kit I think is from Ground Force. It has both a rod replacement AND shock extenders, which keeps the normal travel on the shock the same as stock, while providing the drop.

Dave
  • glevittglevitt Member Posts: 30
    I spent the better half of a day trying to get the old cable out from behind the dash and through the firewall to no avail...I couldn't even get a stereo shop or the dealer to do it for a reasonable price. I ended up getting a new antenna and splicing its cable to to existing cable running through the firewall with gold-plated coax connectors, after that I wrapped it in electrical tape and tucked the slack under windshield in and existing wire harness. It works great and it only cost me about $5.00.
  • jbowden75jbowden75 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2001 yukon xl denali and I had the same problem. It turns out it was the accelerator pedal and also the accelerator pump. At the time my truck was under warranty, the total cost was about 750.00. I had to pay 200.00 out of that but the problem was corrected.
  • dplattdplatt Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the latest disc for the 2004 system for about $200 from GM after recieving an add in the mail for the replacement disc. A year ago I tried to get the replacement from the dealer parts department and they wanted $346.
  • abuelitoabuelito Member Posts: 2
    well got my gold mist yukon xl yesterday,,,it will soon have it work out,i work in mexico and the roads are not the best in the world,about 50% of the time ill be on dirt roads,so ill be proving it real well,,,i traded a avalanche 2006 for it,,the reason i traded is because of the many problems they are having with the transmission,,i sure didnt want to be stranded down there with it,,,on the avalanche clubs there is some one posting about every day with transmissions going out,,the front sprag breaking,,,so this is my first post and i hope every one good motoring,,,abuelito
  • flyfisher1flyfisher1 Member Posts: 38
    The 07 Denali (900 model) comes standard with the tow package (at least mine did as per the window sticker). The receiver is hidden behind a plastic bumper cover.
  • flyfisher1flyfisher1 Member Posts: 38
    Nope. 95,000 miles and only a failed driver's side seat heater failure (fixed under warranty). That's why there are so many Yukons/Denali's out there.
  • abuelitoabuelito Member Posts: 2
    i have a new 2007 yukon xl and i would like to change out the arm rest console,,it is the armrest console on the bench type seats,that goes up or down,,well it has no lid that you can open or close,its open with cup holders and an open tray,,,i would like to change it to the type where it has a lid that opens and closes,,its easy to change out just 2 bolts,,,,any ideas where to buy a armrest console,,thank you abuelito
  • ernysanernysan Member Posts: 1
    you guys know were exactlly are located this temp sensor under the bumper???

my mirror always display a 0° F
  • dhoutchensdhoutchens Member Posts: 1
    Help! We've been trying to register my wife's Yukon for months now. The Service Engine Soon light won't clear and stay cleared.

First it gave a "small evap leak" code. Found and fixed that. Then it gave a "PO 141 O2 Sen Heater Circ Malfunc (Bank 1 Sen 1) and PO 141 O2 Sen Heater Circ Malfunc (Bank 1 Sen 2)" code. I think that's right. Since my wife couldn't drive my truck so I could take hers to the shop again the shop provided the sensors and I put them in.
    Yay, cleared the code, for 15 miles.

This time we got "PO 141 O2 Sen Heater Circ Malfunc (Bank 1 Sen 2) and PO 141 O2 Sen Heater Circ Malfunc (Bank 2 Sen 2)". The mechanic said the sensors must be defective. I left the Bank 1 Sen 1 in place and replaced sensor 2 on both banks.

Cleared the code and the light stayed off for about 25 miles.

Now it shows "PO 141 O2 Sen Heater Circ Malfunc (Bank 1 Sen 1) and PO 141 O2 Sen Heater Circ Malfunc (Bank 2 Sen 2)"

We've used Denso sensors. Any ideas of causes?
    The mechanic said he recently replaced a computer in an '01. that was $400 used or $900 new. Any cheaper fix?

Thanks for your help.
  • tewstroketewstroke Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Suburban with the 5.3. We installed a Whipple Supercharger when the vehicle was new and have had 95,000 trouble-free miles. It has been the best aftermarket performance enhancement item we've ever purchased. It puts the 5.3 at around 400 hp . - Not sure about the torque.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    That's amazing!! I would figure you wouldv'e blown your 4L60E or rear end by now.
  • jskykingjskyking Member Posts: 2
    Recently our Yukon XL has begun to surge and stall especially soon after start-up and occurs more often in wet/damp weather. It felt like a transmission slippage at first but we had the trannie inspected and it was ok.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    jt
    jta320@comcast.net : :confuse:
  • fixitrodfixitrod Member Posts: 67
    Just purchased 2003 Yukon XLSLT 4WD with 67K, my second... the first was a 2001 XL SLE 2WD purchased new. so this is a step up for me. Really wanted a Denali for the 6liter engine but it came down to the AWD which I did not like the ride feel for some reason. So new to the forum and wanted some opinions on a few issues.
    1. Has anyone had an oil smell after driving the truck hard as in mod stop and go and highway traffic. Like when I am late picking up the kids.
    2. Anyone willing to share experience with the cold air and/or exhaust kits would be helpful as I want to give this 5.3 some more low end and maybe help the gas milage. I know...I want my cake !
  • jbaumgartnerjbaumgartner Member Posts: 2
    My problem is with a 2003 Yukon XL's transmission. It began to whine at ~80,000 miles and progressively got louder. First the dealer played dumb on the issue (my wife took the XL to the dealer who probably assumed they could bumfoozel her) telling her they heard nothing. I took it in myself yesterday morning and told the service manager to get in and ride around the parking lot with me. He did so and recognized the loud whine right away. Unfortunately, my extended warranty ran out on January 1st and now I'm stuck with paying the bill to replace it!

Where is the justice ? My first extended warranty and I find out that it terminated on the beginning of the 5th year, not the date of purchase.
    I was curious to how(kit name, cost?) you had your truck lowered and the pros and cons of doing this when using larger wheels/tires. Now for the vent

My 03 YXL SLT plush package 4x4 has an occasional "humming" after going over mod speed bumps as I accelerate and I am wondering if rear end is indicating something. Bought used w/ 67k and although an extremely clean looking truck when I changed to the Gibson freeflow exhaust I was appalled at the condition of the underside of this truck. I did not suspect anything as it drove and stopped OK and the dealer assured me this was a truck they had sold and had just taken back in on trade..."has our pedigree"
    When the wheels wre off I checked the brakes and barely got some new pads on before the rotors would have been chewed up. Now it stops like new. The parking brake shoe just disintegrated in my hand.Is it the weight and size of these trucks that make them use more rear brakes atypically than other vehicles?
    So much for the vehicle having the dealer pedigree and passing their 127 point inspection. Why do they lie? The previous owner obviously lived on a farm in Georgia because its caked with mud. If intentional water ever was used I'd be surprised. I was just keeping my finger crossed and now the SIHTF.
    1. Speedo now dead. Anybody had this happen
    2. windows shuddder when you let them down on passenger side.
    3. Factory CD player skips on everything you put in it(as I understand it these radios can't be replaced because they are coded to each vehicle[is this true? or can GM code another one].
    4. Homelink won't set to garage door opener. WHo says buying some type of warranty isn't good so hopefully Premier One will take care of these things. I am used to taking care of my vehicles not just for my piece of mind but because of resale and these are machines. I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round right. Any help appreciated
  • jeyardajeyarda Member Posts: 1
    I've had this car for 3 years with no problem. Today I go out to start the car and the ignition key will not turn. I also cannot move the gear shift. The internal lights work fine, the security system is working fine. If I turn on the headlight override I hear a beeping sound (?). I am at a loss as to what happened or what to do. The car worked perfect last night. Any help is much appreciated. I am NOT a car person just a woman in need of some 'simple' car advice. Thanks.
  • cheapengineercheapengineer Member Posts: 36
    Wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while your foot is on the brake and you turn the ignition key.
  • ctd8364ctd8364 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 01 yukon xl with the 5.3 liter i am looking to get a fitch fuel catalyst. so i went to the website and they dont have one for that year only 2006-2008.. but there is one for the chevy suburban in my year what is the difference if any .. could i purchase that one and be alright or wat? and does this product actually work? any mods to help the gas mileage and power that actually work?
    thanks
  • bigchuckwagonbigchuckwagon Member Posts: 2
    The Keyless Entry feature on my 2007 Yukon XL has quit working correctly. I've changed to the spare keyfob and made sure that the DIC was programmed to original factory settings. Neither tactic helped.
    The entrance door must be opened manually......but once inside, the keyfob will actuate the Keyless Entry system (it'll unlock or lock the doors). When I park the Yukon, the Keyfob will lock the doors as I leave......but will fail to unlock the doors if I'm gone for more than a minute or two. In other words, the system fails if I don't use the Keyfob for a minute or two. So long as I actuate the Keyfob every 15-seconds, it'll keep on working. Anybody got ideas?
    A funny thing happened the other day to my 2003 Yukon XL. My speedometer just stopped registering speed.The Homelink won't set and the power seat adjustment are confused...i.e. when I push up the seat goes down. My point...the brains on these trucks have got too much on the mind. I disconnected my battery for a change to an optima red top and to install an intake kit and Gibson exhaust last month. and it hit me that thats when things started going wacky. I disconnected the battery again and allowed the brain to reset itself. Now speedometer works fine. Homelink still won't set so it may be my garage door opener system and the seats I figured out. Truy to disconnect your battery for a few minutes and see what happens.
    Does anyone know if I can get the factory radio to turn on an aftermarket amp. I want to add a subwoofer and have been told I can use a output control converter(line output converter) but what is going to turn on the amp. I have the Bose system so something must turn that amp om.
  • berkut027berkut027 Member Posts: 22
    I recently had the same problem on mine and found the solution right here on Edmunds.com. See Post 499 in the "GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems" forum, which refers to:

"Tech confirmed failure key fobs using recommendation doc 1861180 put system to sleep removed rcdlr reinstalled fuse retested all OK"

I took this info to my dealer and they repaired it--working fine now. One oddity--the service desk person said that they fixed the problem by replacing the remote keyfob--said there were a bad batch of keyfobs and mine was one of those. I don't think this is the case as my other original keyfob is now working whereas it wasn't before the repair. I think the fix is a software configuration thing on the car itself and has nothing to do with the keyfobs--there may be other problems with certain batches of keyfobs, but it's not the cause of this particular issue.

Good luck.
  • jskykingjskyking Member Posts: 2
    2004 Yukon XL. There seems to be grinding in the rear of the vehicle. It is intermittent and often goes several weeks without surfacing. It usually happens at low speeds and etiher during the first few minutes after driving or after a long drive.
    This past week, the 4WD Check light has illuminated.
    Anyone out there with a similar scenario? thanks jt
  • rkg1rkg1 Member Posts: 13
    Lately, my driver side Seat controls (on our 2003 Yukon XL) are working in reverse. If you press the seat to go forward, it goes back. If i press it to go back, it goes forward.

Any advice???

I took it to the dealer, because when it's working properly (not reversing) the seat won't go all the way forward. I originally thought something might be stuck under the seat. The dealer said I need a "seat extender" and that costs $700.00 !!!

When the switches are in reverse-mode, the seat does go all the way forward.. .so I know that it can.

It's just I never know which way the seat will move, and how far it will go. It's annoying because when I turn the car off, the seat automatically moves back (for easy exiting), and then I lose any good settings I may have had.

Has anyone encountered this????
    All advice welcome!!
    My 2003 Yukon does the same thing and I am also having trouble with the
    1. Homelink not pairing(Could be my model of garage door opener).

2. Radio is on the blink intermittently but off more than on) Dealer said the radio was bad but I am wondering if its the amp because its all sources that won't deliver sound when it drops out. Display works, etc. but no sound.

3. DVD player now won't load

4. Power seat driver does the opposite of what direction I push it in. The driver memo and exit functions seems to work but I am wondering if this 700.00 seat extender is mechanical or electrical. If electrical could it have anything to do with other circuits. In my experience with GM vehicles they seem to tie in a lot of electronics/electricals i.e. "multifunction" switches. The problem is when they go screwy not one but all systems tied in get effected. These are great trucks but they hace issues that are annoying. Maybe why Consumer reports won't recommend even the new beautiful 2007/8
  • rkg1rkg1 Member Posts: 13
    Did you ever fix your seat problems??

We also have problems with our DVD player (thought I always assumed it was due to the fact that we put it in aftermarket). Sometimes it won't power on or off and the DVD's are always freezing in it.

I do tend to think that the electrical problems are all somehow related..
  • jafobob1jafobob1 Member Posts: 1
    Two things: Anyone else disappointed with the poor high beams on this vehicle? Anyone else having the high beams go dead? It's bad enough that the high beams are poor but to switch from low to high only to have pitch black is frightning. This is a Yukon XL Denali but I don't think the lights are any different than a regular Yukon (not like the older Denali's that had the unique projector beam headlights). My older 2005 has much better high beams. Any thoughts on either problem??
    Interestingly it was eluded to the possibility that somewhere along the line a passenger switch got put on the drivers side. Actually a very reliable source.

I also had a very long conversation with the installer of the current entertainment system In response to my report of the DVD player being on the blink. "By the time one pays for a repair for $50.00 more; maybe a $100 with installation. a new player could be purchased. So I replaced the dying DVD player and head unit with the Alpine set up and used the Metra/Access GMOS-04 to retain all RAP features, chimes. etc.. Stereo is a lot chrisper(more voltage from the aftermarket model) running through the amp. Next step is add a subwoofer to the head unit. I now have to figure out adding the subwoofer
  • tsf7tsf7 Member Posts: 31
    Hello. I am shopping for an 04-06 Yukon XL/Suburban, 1/2 ton 5.3 with SLT/LT package. Part of the reason for the purchase will be to tow a travel trailer, so I want to make sure I buy something with the necessary hardware for towing. Does anyone know if there was a "tow package" for trucks in these years, and if so, what parts did it add (trans. cooler, class IV hitch, trailer brake pre-wiring, 3.73 or 4.10 gears, ect). What is the "trailering preparation package", which all the trucks appear to have (I have noticed that every truck I have looked at had a receiver w/ 7-pin harness, but I have not remembered to look for a transmission cooler.)

Of course, the salesmen are little or no help in answering these questions, and just "assure" me that it will do the trick, so I though I'd ask you all.

Thanks in advance.
  • dtiger71202dtiger71202 Member Posts: 3
    Is there a fuse for the accessory power outlet located in the rear near the liftgate? The other outlets work, but this one is dead.
    Is anything else in the area not working. GM usually clusters things together so check your fuse specs and look for several listed together.You may want to check to make sure the wires behind it are not disconnected or corroded. If its isolated look only at that item. The element may be bad/burned out.

Now for my questions
    1.I sometimes get a spoiled smell from my climate control outlets. I plan on changing the cabin air filters and see if this helps but is there a HVAC problem going on..
    2. My speedometer goes dead on my 03 YukXL/SLT package and Bose system. The symptoms are that it will register only 50mph and above or will just sit all the way to the right and register nothing. I have disconnected the battery and it rights itself but the repeated incidents of this make me think the brain is on t he way out or something. Anybody else dealt with this?
  • abdielabdiel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 yukon and oil started shooting out of the rear axle it also looks like something has tried to come out of the pan as there are big bulges and cuts in the pan with oil leaking out. Did the gears do this?
    On my 03 XLT with 6 disc RAP/Bose system(I mention this because it indicates what level of electronics are in the truck) which has a speedometer that just stops registering. Usually I have had success with disconnecting the battery which resets the brain. This time however due to busy schedule I did nothing and its now working fine. This leads me to consider a more local problem like faulty dial bearings. Any thoughts appreciated!
  • cheapengineercheapengineer Member Posts: 36
    The speedometer went bad on my 2004 Yukon XL too. There is a known problem with these in several model years. They replaced mine for free. Be sure to mention that you are aware that there is a technical bulletin on this and ask if they intend to repair it for free.
  • glynetteglynette Member Posts: 3
    I think on the 2003 they had a recall of the speedometers.
    Contacted GMC and they responded very favorably and had me go to the dealer of my choice. They replaced the instrument cluster. Funny thing is this particuler dealer tried to get a $100.00 "deductible" from me which I refused to pay reminding them that this has been taken care of for free. Jeez...I had originally put the ball in their court reminding them that they who are suppossed to be on top of taking care of my truck had my truck in at around 70000 and missed this recall. My truck has 83000. Make these dealers back up what they say and rport them to GM when they don't.
  • pemortpemort Member Posts: 1
    Hi Woody
    I just got this diagnosis. The shoe fits. Mine is an '04 GMC Sierra. only 26000 mi. but out of warranty. they found codes P0171 P0174 and P0300. misfiring on every cylinder in history. # 2 prominently. Help me to understand. My dealer didn't mention Doc id # 1538353. He did show me that there had been a bulletin and I found it via # PIP3022A. Recommendation .... "fuel pump" $ 710.00 P+L. I asked if he knew that it would fix the problem. He said "everything points to it". My responsibility !
    Why aren't these things covered if they're problems known to GM?
    any thoughts ?
    Pete
  • zamraamzamraam Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 2003 yuk xl (sort of). Driver's seat will not travel back past a certain point (cramps me behind the wheel - really unfun). Reverse sensing on the switch sometimes and I can make the seat travel aft to a comfortable position by moving the switch forward but it hasn't done that for awhile. The seat position memory has never worked right on this vehicle. The dealer had supposedly repaired that twice back when the thing was still in warranty but it never held the memory properly and I gave up on it. POS
  • oh1odie1oh1odie1 Member Posts: 1
    Just to add to the long list of people unhappy with the transmission problems - We have to fork over $3000.00 for a new transmission. This vehicle has been in over the years at least 5 times for transmissions problems - but 36 days after the dealer recommended a "transmission flush" - the entire transmission blows up! Co-incidence? I think NOT! I think it is pretty suspicious that after a recommended procedure of "flushing" is done to have the transmission blow up only after 36 days!!! DO NOT BUY A GMC PRODUCT!!!! Basically, the dealer and GMC complaint department says "too bad, so sad" (I take that as a sign that obviously buying American is NOT what they want us to do- I guess Toyota is what I am looking at now!!) :lemon:
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    oh1odie1, I can not disagree with your post about the support we can expect from GM. However, don't think just because its a Toyota, it won't have defects and problems. Yes, I do agree that Toyota vehicles have the highest overall reliability rating, but, I have seen several cases of engine and Transmission failures (in different models, except Corolla) where Toyota will NOT do anything for their customers (So bad, too bad) leaving them to pay out of their own pockets.

In my case (oh oh, breakout the violin), the short version, with my EX 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser-TLC, I finally throw my keys back to my Toyota dealer and told them to just send me the check for what the TLC's worth (which in mind still is a POS; and YES I walked home that day). The longer version, you would think the TLC is bullet proof, but it leaks in more places than my kid's diaper (at the transfer case and the right-front CV-joint, I have seen that in MANY TLCs and LX-470s around the 2000 to 2003 model years as well)... After a few visits to my Toyota dealer about the leaks, According to the my local Toyota dealer as well as the Toyota of USA Customer/Technical support, "the Transfer Case oil leak is best to leave it until the leak gets worse" (What kind of a support response was that ?? - about several drops each night is not bad enough...??), and as for the CV-Joint grease leak out of its boot, the dealer excused it as normal, they won't even try to fix it (i.e. replace the clamp of something) unless the CV Joint is bad. One mechanic told me off record, that its just too much pain to fix them, and not worth the risk as they are quite difficult to service..), what a shock it was for me to hear that -Wow! Now, you tell me if you were me, would you think from that point that TLC is reliable, especially with the transfer case leak? Would you appreciate the response from Toyota USA? Do you think the support received from Toyota USA and my dealer were helpful and supportive towards solving these leak problems? If you were me, would you drive that TLC for a family vacation?

FYI, I have a 2007 Yukon Denali since new, so far, except for one computer Re-program recall, it has been 100% problem free. I guess there is always a bad apple in a group, regardless of which we picked just don't expect too much help from the manufacturers... unless all of your years of scheduled maintenance work have been done by your dealership, they may consider offering a couple of hundred dollars of discount on those major repairs.

Best wish to all !!
  • colesecolese Member Posts: 1
    Good day,
    I am starting to hear a roaring sound from my SUV in park and in drive. It just happened when I turned the corner a mile ago. I believe it similar to your problem.
    How much does it cost for this repair?