Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza Burning oil?

wvwwvw Member Posts: 19
edited April 2014 in Subaru

My oil light started coming on and indeed that was the problem- it wasn't electrical as I'd assumed. The Subaru service person said that they and the company haven't done a good job of warning customers that your oil may run low between changes. I have just over 20000 miles on the car and the oil had been changed 4,750 miles prior to this. I'm a conservative driver- we have had an unusually cold winter. Has anyone else encountered or heard of this?

Comments

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

I am experiencing the same with my 2012 Impreza Sport Limited. Currently has 29K miles, oil last changed at 22.5K miles. Low oil light recently started coming on intermittently. When the light first came on, I checked oil and it was between low and full, but need to check again. I went 7.5K between all the previous oil changes and never had the low oil light issue. The oil level was typically between low and full prior to each oil change and the level was at full after each oil change.

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

Just check the oil level. It's a little above the low mark.

• wvwwvw Member Posts: 19

So, you're saying that the warning light comes on before there's a real cause for concern and that the Impreza starts burning more oil earlier than most cars since we both had no warnings between our previous 7500 mile changes.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Our son bought a 2010 Impreza brand new and took excellent care of it.

One day he had to stop quickly and his oil light came on. It had been about 1000 miles since the dealer had changed the oil.

He was shocked to find it to be two quarts low! Across the street was an auto parts store so he added two quarts and kept a close eye on it.

400 miles later, it was down a quart. At this point the car had just under 30,000 miles on it.

The Subaru Dealer was in the process of doing an "oil consumption test" on it when one rainy night on the freeway, it threw a rod!

Harrowing experience at night but our son got it off the freeway and had it towed to Subaru who installed a new (?) engine under warranty.

Off the record, the Service Advisor told me that this wasn't the first one that had done this.

He dumped the Impreza and bought a new Jeep Wrangler.

I know....from the fire to the frying pan....so far, so good.

• carsuckscarsucks Member Posts: 1

I bought a 2012 Subaru Impreza limited thinking it would be a great reliable car for my daughter heading to college. Boy was I wrong, nothing but a hassle! This car requires oil every 1,200 miles. When it was 2000 miles or more they would not address the issue. Today I went in with every record of oil changes and at 33,000 miles I have had 11 oil changes besides adding oil in between. They finally agreed to do an oil consumption test however I'm not holding my breath. Seems to be a problem with quite a few of these. Very disappointed with my first Subaru and definitely would never purchase another.

• angryscotangryscot Member Posts: 1

My 2012 Impreza was burning about a quart every 1500-2000 miles. After no help whatsoever from Subaru corporate, I decided after nearly two aggrivating years to trade it. Nothing but a headache, good riddance.