Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Groan....it's bicycle season again!

And out in force they were yesterday. Most play by the rules but not all of them!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139

This morning I saw a Lexus RX make a ridiculous U-turn on a bridge.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited March 2014

in 2 recent postings the writers mention using cruise control while passing other traffic. using cruise control with other traffic is ill-advised if not inconsiderate. just one man's opinion. cruise-control-everywhere is one more step towards fully automatic/robot cars, with driving by humans being prohibited, hooray...

in related issue/problem, passing another vehicle at a mere 3 mph delta is insufficient, either with or without cruise control. either pass better/faster than 3 mph, or don't be passing at all. pleeeease don't use cruise control to pass traffic!

all of the above is multiplied by ten when the traffic you are passing is a BIG RIG!

if you must use cruise control while passing other traffic, it's best/safest to temporarily STEP ON THE GAS to complete the pass safely/judiciously, rather than automatically/unthinkingly/robotically?

a final point about pulling back in front of big-rig after passing. (yesterday i unthinkingly did that way too close to the truck, but at substantially more than 3 mph delta.) no matter the delta, one should leave >>250 feet ahead of a bigrig before cutting back into the big-rigs lane.

thank you class, yes there will be a quiz on this stuff tomorrow. ;):|

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789

It all depends on the speed differential and sight distance. I'm not going to waste fuel by adding speed when I'm already traveling 5-10 mph faster than another vehicle unless there is a clear reason to do so, especially when I am driving on a divided multi-lane road.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited March 2014

Right. And if there's no one approaching from the rear who I might impede by leaving cruise on, I'll keep it on. I know where the accelerator is, to pass more quickly when necessary.

Had a close call tonight entering a freeway, on one of those well-designed (NOT!) 1960-vintage combo enter/exit lanes that's way too short. A semi was in the right lane. No one behind him, so I figured I'd let up on the gas a bit and let him go ahead of me, and duck in behind him. Then he puts his right turn signal on (at the last second of course)! Since he's a mite bigger than my car is, I figure I'd better slow down a bit more so he can exit ahead of me, then get into the right lane. So the semi ducks in ahead of me and just makes the exit. My left turn signal is still on as I prepare to merge into the right lane. Then I notice the black Camry that was behind me on the exit ramp has floored it so now he's blocking the right lane so I can't enter the freeway. Meanwhile the end of the short entrance/exit lane is coming up real fast. For a second I think I'm going to have to take the exit, but I am able to just get into the right lane behind the Camry. He got a loud blast of the horn to wake him up.

Funny thing is, I notice about 1/2 mile ahead, he's moved into the middle lane and has slowed way down because of a line of cars in that lane. But the right lane is clear. In no time I'm out ahead of him and stay that way until my exit. I guess he wasn't in such an all-fired hurry after all.

edited March 2014

Today I honked just because it felt good. I hope it wasn't inconsiderate.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/27/watch-as-man-with-road-rage-gets-dose-of-instant-karma/

Here's a left lane dominator with a truck gussied up with the front end crash bars to show how tough he, errrr I mean his truck is.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

that is pretty fun to watch. I agree with the comments at the bottom that both people were being idiots.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Saw a Ciera go straight in a turn only lane today, at least it got honked at. Also more phone holding idiots than normal this afternoon.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited March 2014

25% of car wrecks are due to driver cellphone use, "according to recent study". saw it a couple days ago on the mcnews.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/study-texting-while-driving-now-leading-cause-of-death-for-teen-drivers-1.5226036

I think ALL cellphone usage should be banned while driving! People need to concentrate on DRIVING than the content of some intense conversation!

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

¥es of all the "distraction accidents "I have also read that 25% is due to cell phones. However the other 75% are due to distractions due to FOOD/Beverage consumption.

No wonder the German automakers didn't put cupholders in their cars until the USA market forced it... they were probably thinking, "Die Menschen sollten nicht essen oder trinken während der Fahrt!" Or something like that.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

translation: "People should not eat or drink while driving! "

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    edited March 2014

@ruking1 said:
    ¥es of all the "distraction accidents "I have also read that 25% is due to cell phones. However the other 75% are due to distractions due to FOOD/Beverage consumption.

I doubt that a full 75% are attributable to consumption. I strongly suspect that at least some percentage belongs to passenger distractions, most notably those from both children and dogs. I read a humorous article last week (sorry, don't have link at my finger tips) about old vehicle tech that should be made new again. One of the items was the retractable partition wall. The author argued that this would be the single best feature in today's minivans, and I have a difficult time disagreeing with him on that point! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited March 2014

@xwesx said:

Then cite %'s due to both children and dogs, if that is of interest !! As I remember that was NOT cited in that article. In any case, I did NOT say a FULL 75%. Now you might have READ it like that. But it is a % of, a % of.

To get you started http://www.distraction.gov in the NHTSA.gov site is a good place to look. Beating of dogs and children during distracted driving were specifically left off. :'(;)http://www.distraction.gov/content/get-the-facts/facts-and-statistics.html

..."Nearly 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention within three seconds before the event. Primary causes of driver inattention are distracting activities, such as cell phone use, and drowsiness."...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Driving+Safety/Distracted+Driving/Breakthrough+Research+on+Real-World+Driver+Behavior+Released

Now for my .02 cents, hurting or far worse KILLING somebody due to sending someone an LOL or taking a bite out of a hamburger or smacking your dog or kids is something I would not want on my conscious no matter how "accidental" and have never had it during my entire driving history. I am not about to go trolling for it NOW, for ANY reason.

I once owned a 1964 VW that had been a European delivered car. It had a different ignition switch that went through a metal cable. One of the positions said "fahrt". I always wondered what that meant.

Someone tried to steal it one night and I was told that the metal conduit that the ignition wires went through stopped the theft from happening.

edited March 2014

"fahrt" simply means "go", "travel", etc

Went to and from Vancouver yesterday. Left before dawn, awesome drive up - very little traffic, a few weird LLCs on wide open roads with no traffic (maybe over there to enjoy a sometimes smoother road?), but no harm done as I was in the right lane and moving a bit faster. Saw a stater with a pulled over Prius taxi. Barely a border delay, then into the great white north, where I noticed less phone yappers, but similar bad habits like no signal, bad parking, etc. Vancouver light sequencing might be worse than here, but the durations seem shorter. Drive back wasn't bad - a few LLCs, kind of surly border agent, but there was a new Highlander that I passed and was passed by maybe 5 times in 20 miles - and most of that I was using cruise. That annoys me. Saw two crashes - a smash up in Burnaby where someone apparently ran a stop sign, and a spun out Focus in the rain in Snohomish county.

I HATE driving in Vancouver! Very narrow lanes and blinking traffic lights along with tons of "new drivers"!

Living in Bellevue for many years now has me accustomed to new drivers - they usually amuse me more than annoy me, or maybe thinking that some licenses are likely purchased might annoy me. Van is one of those wonderful places outside of Knightsbridge or the Arabian peninsula where unemployed non-student 19 year olds in six figure cars aren't uncommon - and the money is just as earned in all cases.

Narrow roads don't get to me either, Canada doesn't compare to Europe. Oak St bridge is my favorite - it either freaks people out, or they go twice the limit as enforcement is difficult.

Vancouver does have one epic fail in regards to driving - a lack of left turn lanes and left turn signals. I had forgotten about this - pretty ridiculous in some areas, but no doubt some preachy greenie weenies see it as a way to fight private transport. In that one regard, Van is still superior to Seattle.

Oh, I despise driving in Seattle. We take the bus. It just makes so much more sense and Seattle has a great bus system.

edited March 2014

Seattle is what I call both pedestrian and vehicle unfriendly. It's almost like the so-called planners want people on buses, not on foot or in cars - and being a biker there can be risky too. It does have lots of buses and part time rail line to some areas.

edited April 2014

Today I got behind what looked like an older-middle aged woman, in a early 00s Grand Cherokee. It had one working brake light, and she was going 5-10 under, and slowly weaving around. When she finally turned (no signal, of course), I had to lay on the horn, I couldn't hold back.

Yesterday was out in the old car, and saw the danger of being timid - ahead was a (likely) rental Yaris, and probable new drivers in it, given the location (kind of the Bermuda triangle where Bellevue, Redmond, and Kirkland meet). It was merging from 520 to 405. I was in a 50 year old MB with 3 adult males in it, and I was closing fast - I could see others zipping around. Luckily, the road gained a lane, so I was able to zoom by (probably still under the limit, given what I was driving) on the left. I'd say they hit 405 going maybe 45 at the most. They fell behind quick, too - and I doubt I hit 65mph. Recipe for a pileup caused by a rear-ender. It's weird to me how people who come from frazzled anything-goes driving environments come to this pile of relative order and calm, and just freeze up.

Also saw a couple of speed traps, one in Medina, one in Hunts Point - I'd wager going after local construction workers. Or protecting and serving or something like that, yeah.

One of my Aunts and Uncles lived on Hunt's Point with my four cousins.

When I drove up from California to visit I got pulled over just because I didn't "belong" there.

That is exactly what the cop told me. When I told him who my uncle was he changed his tune in a hurry!

Definitely profiling going on there, which might come from IIRC recent burglary incidents. My cars fly under the radar there, anyway. I could probably go by at 100 in a new Range Rover or Bentley and not get hassled.

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425

Hunts Point Road is only one way out & lined with residents such as Kenny G & Nordstrom. It is logical that visitors be met with the "Filter Police." We were interviewed about our visiting there & our answers to their questions were in order.

edited April 2014

Quick Hunts Point story!

At one time, my uncle's father owned the entire Hunt's Point!

In around 1950, he sold my uncle and aunt a nice waterfront huge lot with a small house on Hunts Point for 4500.00!

The lot was full of trees that needed to be cleared and blackberry bushes so dense you couldn't see the lake! Several remodels later, it was a beautiful place.

Back in those days Bellevue was out "in the sticks" and few people wanted to live there.

I drove by their old house a few years ago. Actually, I drove by the huge mansion that now
    occupies that piece of land.

Yep, Kenny G, John Erlichman, the Nordstroms and Mc Caws were their neighbors.

To keep this auto related, my uncle usually bought Fords or Chevy's mid models with few frills and kept them a long time.

My uncle's dad did not die a wealthy man.

edited April 2014

I've cruised around Medina and "The Points" a lot, never been hassled by a cop - but no doubt my cars were a part of that, and that I usually drive pretty mellow in those areas.

Bellevue didn't do much of anything until after the war, and even then, the Points were probably considered isolated due to being far from the main drag. I've seen old pics of the NE 8th/Bellevue Way area before Bellevue Square existed - vacant land, an old timey gas station, etc. Very rapid urbanization. People move where there are jobs.

In the late 40s, my empty nester great grandparents bought a 1920s cottage style bungalow just east of Green Lake for something like 7K, I think. In 1950, my grandparents bought a new house in Lake City for 10K.

Auto related, the McCaw family empire has quite a collection, big emphasis on prewar Bentleys.

LOL! I'm behind a van with "Independent Living" on the back doors. Van signals left, then swerves right into a Safeway parking lot against the arrows, and comes nose to nose with an exiting car while blocking traffic on the road. As I work around him, I notice on the bottom of the back door: "Safety is my Goal".

Yesterday I saw a vanpool van make a random unsignaled U-turn right in front of oncoming traffic (who laid on the horn), Russian dashcam style. I suppose as socio-economics are racing to the bottom, so should driving ability.

What do you do if you see a BMW or Audi using signals and generally driving like there are other cars on the road? Call it in as stolen :)

The former make sums up my driving experience this afternoon. Crosswalk crowder was a probable new driver in an Escape. Also saw a Bill Lumbergh type in an 80s 911 Turbo with a phone to his ear - needs to carry a special penalty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the local PD simply ignores transgressions by certain cars.

edited April 2014

Nice day here today, motorcycles are coming out - saw a huge Harley lumber around a corner at what seemed like way too slow, and another rider with no gear - shorts, t-shirt, no gloves, no special shoes etc - only a helmet. Freedom! Watch out for those newbies in certain brand SUVs.

Nothing alarming on the road today, other than slowness. People here slow down for rain, clouds, and sun.

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425

"Nothing alarming on the road today, other than slowness"

I opine the slow movers are sail boaters as well.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Hm, an old Boise friend is selling his house to move onto his sailboat. His ride is an F-150 extended cab that he drives "like a granny".

The boat is moored north of Seattle - look for him. :D

edited April 2014

I had a fairly benign NON event unfold : distracted driver cell phone use. But it was an indicator as to how ignored the NON cell phone use law can be. We had come to a 4 way stop SIGN. I had come to the stop earlier than the driver on the cell phone and (me) signaling for a left hand turn. Law and tradition would give the earlier arrival, right of way (me) . If we had got there @ the same time, the one to the RIGHT would have had the right of way,( i.e.. me again). As a courtesy I would have yielded. She had also hesitated.(not sure why, but being distracted on the cell phone might be an objected and observable reason ! ?) She looked at me like I cut in front of her (@ the super market line) , as I completed turn in front of her.

No harm no foul, but really, another reason not to drive DISTRACTED. Stay off the cell phones !!! This is especially true if patting ones tummy, chewing gum and talking is an issue. :p The life one saves might be ones' own.

Could be. And maybe the boat maintenance is so high, they are trying to save money by going slow.

Took a highway drive in the old car today. No LLCs - maybe only noticed because I wasn't in the left lane as much, I had less odds of being obstructed. Although I was there a bit, even in a 50 year old car with a 2.2L engine, I passed many dawdlers. Saw a fair amount of phone yappers too.

@euphonium said:
    I opine the slow movers are sail boaters as well.

edited April 2014

Don't you hate it when motorcycle types hit the rear of someone's Honda Civic?

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_25563977/san-jose-motorcyclist-killed-highway-101-collision-sunday

Then... a Honda Accord finishes? But wait.... ..."which blocked three lanes of traffic for four hours."...

How about the pedestrians who dawdle as they block traffic.

Teens are the WORST!

edited April 2014

Slow walkers - teen girls. In downtown Bellevue sometimes they even cross against red, or just randomly jaywalk. I hope I get to witness one being hit (not killed or seriously hurt of course), just so I can make a witness statement that it was deserved. I seldom see a male doing this.

Took a drive north today - a lot of LLCs on I5 both directions, maybe a dozen in total. Some of them completely oblivious - old WA driving stereotypes never die. Also saw two people pulled over, and the aftermath of a random fender bender on a lightly populated stretch, amazing how that happens.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Drove from San Diego to close to Vegas and the amount of left lane campers was staggering. The truck lane on the right (portions of the interstate have 3 lanes with one being a truck lane), often was the clearest, and fastest moving lane, probably because truckers know how to drive.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Saw a woman in an Odyssey nearly hit a guy in a green signal crosswalk this morning - got to hear some tire noise. Also a couple of slower crosswalk drivers, and a likely "new" driver in a new E-class dawdling down the road with a signal on and no intention of turning.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

good god, that's horrible. I mean, who in their right mind steals an Avenger?!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes: Man runs down an old lady and drives on. His friend next to him is appalled: "You just ran over an old lady!" And he replies: "Oh, please, enough of that 1960s era rhetoric..."

@fintail said:
    Saw a woman in an Odyssey nearly hit a guy in a green signal crosswalk this morning - got to hear some tire noise. Also a couple of slower crosswalk drivers, and a likely "new" driver in a new E-class dawdling down the road with a signal on and no intention of turning.

Wow, in the past two weeks I've seen THREE people run red lights!

Yeah, I saw one of those today. Light was changing to yellow just as I entered the intersection. An older E-Class rushes up from behind (would have had plenty of time to stop had he simply used the brake pedal instead of the accelerator) and almost rammed me after he ran the red light. Then, going about 15 over the limit, he swerved around me. I noticed it was one of those MBs without the optional turn signals. I'd be pissed if I spent over $50k on a car and it didn't have a basic feature that even my humble Kia Rio has!

edited April 2014

I don't think Bellevue LEOs care about red lights - I see no enforcement, and many intersections have long periods where all sides are red. Maybe being risk averse is the best way, there. And it keeps our so-skilled traffic engineers from actually having to show results in regards to light sequencing...and lets the LEOs do important things like occasionally speedtrap in between breaks, and ignore crosswalk violators/yappers/no signalers.

A little rain this afternoon = SLOW traffic, it's amazing how it hinders already timid drivers. Go around a corner at 6mph, keep wipers on full blast in very light rain, stop way behind the car in front of you at a light and slowly creep up, hit signal in a turn only lane after sitting there for an eon - it's the western WA way. No crosswalk crowders today, one sidewalk breacher - woman pulling into Whole Foods, so maybe not the most "with it". Also saw a Crown Vic police car pretending to be a BMW, no signal at lane change. Higher standards.

edited April 2014

Mishandling of dangerous inconsiderate driving actually garners punishment - no doubt from the media outcry. The source document makes it look like a really bad event. Let's see if the wild and unaccountable union fights it. Pretty big deal as 15 year tenure here likely had a nice salary.

Lots of slowbies on the road this afternoon - rented Focus with driver/passengers who might have taken isell on a wild test drive slowed to a crawl on an off ramp, then went way under the limit, then I passed and they dropped back even more. Then got behind a Volvo going way under the limit and braking for turns in the road (not corners, no need to brake). Then saw a Prius V and a Jetta side by side, under the limit, bottleneck. Finished the drive by getting behind a Pilot in a left turn lane, coming onto a 4 lane road, "driver" couldn't pick a lane, so just kept the tank in two lanes for awhile - that earned a honk.

Two crosswalk crowders while on foot - young woman in a C-class, older guy in an Altima.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@fintail said:
    Prius V and a Jetta side by side, under the limit, bottleneck

Hypermile racing at its finest. :D