Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep: Losing Sight Of Their Heritage

2»

Comments

• toddmntoddmn Posts: 13

For me, the love affair with Jeeps started without my knowing. For years I've been attracted to different objects in use throughout our modern world. Evinrude Outboard motors, 1960s Jeeps, Milwaukee railroad passenger cars and so on. Turns out all these beautifully designed machines were the brain child of legendary designer Brooks Stevens. That's the problem these days, there are no iconic industrial designers. Everything is a product of market research, government regulation, risk analysis of of possible litigation, and profit margin. In the 21st century, the art is missing from the things we use.

I can't imagine the Renegade will be very popular for the Jeep faithful. I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes amongst people who have never owned a Jeep but like to think of themselves as rugged individuals who drive a Jeep to the mall for a mocha.

For me, when the last Brooks Stevens designed Jeep Wagoneer rolled of the line in 1991, the party was over. I've had a 02 Liberty, 07 Compass, 08 Patriot and I currently own a Commander. At least the Commander Looks like a Jeep and is a fairly good replacement for the old Wagoneer in size and for on road use. However when the real work needs to happen, like plowing snow, it is time to trust in the blizzardproof CJ8 Scrambler to get things moving again. You will never see a plow mounted on a new 2015 Renegade.(and that's a crying shame)

• Having been right there with you on as many jeep within our families history.. and still till this day family members are continuing to drive jeeps. But I have yet to hear any of them say they would buy any of these newer jeeps. One must learn not to get involved in these types of family discussions.. The family is already at odds with one another.
    But lets not get side tracked here.. I've had some of the best cars & trucks.. and some of the worst. Surprisingly the best car I had ever own was a 2003 50th anniversary Corvette Z06 but that too was short lived..
    I was skeptical about purchasing the 08 Jeep Wrangler first because I didn't like the color..second it was starting to head down that road where jeep/mopar was incorporating lighter parts and plastics.. Having grown up with the jeeps that drove like tanks.. The 08 just seem silly to me.. Once I recalled posting.. "JK" meant Joke.. Thou learning of our jeeps history.. my views have changed.

"But I have yet to hear any of them say they would buy any of these newer jeeps" Yes. What would anyone want with a Jeep that looks like a potato on wheels?

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,899

Our son bought a new 2012 Wrangler Unlimited and he is happy with it.

I find it to be crude, primitive,, uncomfortable and noisy with a back seat that is torture to ride in.

I don't see the attraction but I don't have to live with it. to each his own I suppose!

isellhondas that speaks to my point exactly about "real" Jeeps". Jeep is a niche market vehicle and it should stay that way. When they make a Jeep you like, it will no longer be a Jeep, it will be just another SUV in an over crowded segment of vehicles that are pretty good on the road, fine for snow and gravel and get marginal mileage.

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited March 2014

And those vehicles sell. And are very profitable for the manufacturer.

You know, it's the Porsche argument all over again.

Interesting stuff about Brooks Stevens btw; wasn't familiar with him.

Jeep has had such positive feedback from the Jeep community on concept vehicles like the Gladiator Pickup, NuKaiser, and Mighty FC it is just a crime they do not pursue these inspiring Jeeps. Instead, they launch something that has to compete with other, lack luster, models for market share, offering nothing more than slightly better off road capability to set it apart from the competition. Jeep leaving the hard core utility market by eliminating their pickup and commercial platforms is the biggest mistake Jeep ever made. It moved Jeep from being a viable player in fleet service to, lost in the vast SUV universe. The corporate model for Jeep should be to make the toughest, most reliable, utility vehicle possible in a downsized package, from Ford, Dodge and Chevy full size. That model built the brand from 1942 to 1986 and it could easily fill that void (useful but not fancy) in the market today.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,899

@toddmn said:
    isellhondas that speaks to my point exactly about "real" Jeeps". Jeep is a niche market vehicle and it should stay that way. When they make a Jeep you like, it will no longer be a Jeep, it will be just another SUV in an over crowded segment of vehicles that are pretty good on the road, fine for snow and gravel and get marginal mileage.

I have to totally agree with what you said!

There's a saying in the car biz..." There's an a** for every seat"!

Just not mine!

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    And those vehicles sell. And are very profitable for the manufacturer.

You know, it's the Porsche argument all over again.

Interesting stuff about Brooks Stevens btw; wasn't familiar with him.

"Profitable for the manufacturer"

Jeep used to have a monopoly on what they did best. Over the past 3 decades they lost that advantage by watering down the vehicle, eliminating models that appealed to commercial buyers, and by listening to advice from the masses about what they claim they are are interested in buying.

• Hey, guys. Its 2014. Things change. FCA is emerging as a leader with their worldwide branding, excellent quality, class-leading infotainment systems, styling and mechanicals. The Renegade I plan to order will rip the doors off the Kia Soul and Nissan Juke, plus it will make a great garage mate for my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk (which is also awesome).

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited April 2014

Wish it was out. We're shopping and the Soul is on our list. Don't need 4x4 but good ground clearance would be a plus. Any idea if you can get a tricked out one with the 6 speed manual? That's always the rub - we'd want the dual sunroof and the safety gimmicks, and often the manuals only come in base trims.

Ah well, we can't wait that long anyway.

Will you order the Trailhawk flavor of the Renegade?

When I pick up my kid daily at school there is a new Trailhawk waiting for their kid too. Yesterday I drove my 67 Jeepster. Let's just say there's no comparison. The new Cherokee doesn't look any more like a Jeep than a Volkswagen, but everyone knows at a glance what heritage my Jeep embodies. Jeeps should at least look like Jeeps. (even if they have the totally inferior independent suspension)

This pretty much answers the question, "Did Jeep lose their way?"

2»