Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I have a 2001 cavalier chevy, and i am experiencing a problem with my electrical.

kyle75kyle75 Member Posts: 7
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet

When i press my brakes both sides of my signal lights flash but only when I press the brakes any idea"s anyone ...

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

@kyle75 said:
    When i press my brakes both sides of my signal lights flash but only when I press the brakes any idea"s anyone ...

Do you mean the little indicator lights on the dash come on when you press the brake pedal?
    If so, do the turn signals work normally when you indicate left or right turns?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

Yes they do.

• Options

Yes it is the idicators, and both flash when I press the brakes its odd.

• Options

i forgot to mention it used to be an officers car apparently...I thought it to be odd but it is ...My lights all around the car seem to jiggle or flux also...

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

@kyle75 said:
    i forgot to mention it used to be an officers car apparently...I thought it to be odd but it is ...My lights all around the car seem to jiggle or flux also...

I'd do some experimenting. My first thought is a crossed double filament bulb where the brake filament is also crossed to the running lights or a corroded socket shorting across.

But take a careful look at the side marker lamps and running lights for bulbs that aren't working. If you have someone else to press the brakes, you should watch the action of the side marker lights and the running light bulbs. Then do the same as they switch the left turn signal and right turn signal. Some turn signals lights ground through the side marker lights. Result is at night those side markers flash in time with the turn signal blinks, but out of phase as I recall.

Take a look at the front parking or running lights when the brakes are pressed. Do those come on, either at night or daytime with the headlights off. There used to be an attachment they sold to make your front lights come on when the brakes were pressed. I recall it was so people in front approaching you know you are actually braking say at a stop sign.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I wonder if some wiring could be damaged somewhere. If it was a "cop car", chances are stuff was spliced in to run a radio or flashing lights. May as well hunt down and check the grounds.

BBBind.com has free wiring diagrams you can download.

• Options

thank u for helping, it was the ground wire on the battery box it was disconnected. thank goodness an easy fix for once...