Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Malibu Engine power reduced

crandolph1crandolph1 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Chevrolet
I have a 2011 Malibu with 37500 miles on it. I was just at the grocery store with it and it drove fine on the way to the store. After leaving the store the car started up fine and drove through the parking lot without issue. As soon as I pulled on to the road the car started jumping and the rpms kept shifting from 1500 to 500. The service engine light came on and I got the service esc message and the engine power reduced message. The car would not travel over about 5 mph.

I limped to the stop light, through the flashers on and shut it down. I gave the car a minute and started it back up. Still the same issue. Without giving the car any throttle and leaving the transmission in park the rpms continuously shifted from 1000 to 500 and I could hear the engine revving and slowing. The car was shaking fairly violently.

Once the traffic light turned green I drove the car into a nearby parking lot at about 5 mph and shut it down in a parking spot. I opened the hood to look to see if anything was visibly wrong but couldn't see anything obviously wrong.

I started the car back up after a few minutes and it seemed to be idling without issue. I was now able to rev the engine up to 4000 no problem. I attempted to drive the vehicle and was able to drive it home without issue although the service engine light was on.

I plan to take the vehicle to the dealer in the morning. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this issue so I can give the dealer an idea to go on? I am rather angry that this is occurring just 1000 miles out of warranty, it does NOT give me a good feeling about Chevy. I was planning on purchasing a Silverado next but now I am a little sour and make look at a Ford...

Comments

• bc60bc60 Member Posts: 17
    Do you have a sunroof on your Malibu? My wife's 2010 has a sunroof and one morning she went to start it to go to work and the reduced engine power light was on and wouldn't go out. We drove it to the Chevy dealer and they said that a drain line for the sunroof was clogged and overflowed and got an electrical connector wet which caused the problem. The sunroof drain lines go through the inside of the A-posts and the clog was somewhere in there. They cleaned out the drain line, dried out the connection and everything has been fine since.

I asked the technician if there was some way I could maintain these drain lines to prevent this in the future and he said no.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    We're sorry to hear this happened with your new Malibu, crandolph1, and we hope that all went well with your dealership visit. If you would like for us to check into anything for you, don't hesitate to contact us via email at [email protected] with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • rope2rope2 Member Posts: 1
    Yes there is a way to maintain sunroof from leaking ,,When you open sunroof in front there is the drain that you can wipe inside out the pollen and dust that collects especially in the budding season.. That will keep drains clean.. They will not clog up and flood back into A pillar and under dash,, Check out once a month if needed...
  • malibukenmalibuken Member Posts: 1
    I had the same experience yesterday! 2011 Malibu LT, about 40000 miles. Drove fine from Chicago to Milwaukee; drove home from work about a mile, those same messages appeared and the engine light came on. Had to have it towed home.

Waiting to take it to Chevy dealer to repair tomorrow morning; I will be piXXed off if this is not covered by some kind of warranty.
  • greenfield3greenfield3 Member Posts: 2

This has happened to me 4 times in the past two weeks, and I am honestly lucky to be alive. I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu with 58,000 miles on it. My husband and I just moved from Dallas to Atlanta, so I have had to make several trips back and forth to handle things with our home in Dallas. The first time this happened, I was about 70 miles outside of Atlanta going 70 MPH on the highway surrounded by 18 wheelers. Suddenly my traction light and service engine light came on and the reduced power notification came on, the car slowed to about 10 miles an hour very suddenly and the car was shaking violently. The 18 wheeler behind me could not stop fast enough and the only reason I was not hit was because I was able to veer onto the shoulder. Terrified, I sat on the side of the road for several minutes after turning the car off. I started it again and it began driving normally, but the service engine light stayed on. Since I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere and it was extremely dark, I got back on the road again to get home. I made it to Atlanta, but the same thing happened again when I was entering the city on the loop. I basically coasted home. We took it to Goodyear the next day because that was the closest place. They told us it was the gas pedal sensor and charged us $265 to replace it. The car seemed to work normally until a week later I was back in Texas when the exact same thing occurred when I was going 60 MPH on the highway. Luckily, I was close enough to yet another Goodyear to coast in. They told me there was a frayed wire on the throttle body pigtail and they replaced that for $113.40. Again, the car seemed to work normally for a few days until I was again on the highway, this time in Jackson, MS and the same situation happened again. I was able to coast into a Chevy dealership this time. Here they told me that the problem was the Engine Control Module and they replaced it free of charge saying it was under warranty. Since I spent all day there, I was now faced with driving to Atlanta in the dark, not trusting that this would not happen again. Thank God I stopped in Birmingham and got a hotel room, because the whole thing happened yet again. I got it towed to a Chevy dealership the next morning, and because it was now Christmas Eve, no one would even look at it since they all wanted to go home at noon. So that I would not have to spend Christmas alone in a hotel room, I rented a car to get to Atlanta. It is now the day after Christmas, and the Chevy dealership just called to tell me it is an internal failure of the throttle body, and it will cost $550 to fix it. So, I am faced with driving 3 hours back to Birmingham, paying all that money, only to risk my life driving it 3 hours back to Atlanta, hoping this won't happen again. Oh, and if you are wondering why I didn't trade it in somewhere in this whole process, it is because I currently owe more than the trade in value. Sorry for the long post, but I feel helpless and hopeless at the moment, not to mention I am broke now. I hope I make it back to Atlanta in one piece. Thanks, Chevy, and Merry Christmas.

• nwaller1nwaller1 Member Posts: 2

Mrs. Greenfield I am with you I have the same problem going on right now a day before new years eve they told be it we cost about 800 dollars to fix and its not covered under warranty its a 2010 it only has 70,000 miles on the car. The technican was rude I had to have the car towed at 5am it shut off luckily in the parking lot where i work. i went to retrieve items out of the car and the techs were just standing around talking doing nothing when they still had well over two hours they could be working on someone elses vehicle. And then when I called to say I would have it towed home they told me I have to pay 95.00 when they didnt even do anything. I had a 2007 malibu before this purchase they dont value customers and I am currently looking to purchase from somewhere else

• mplsmarkmplsmark Member Posts: 1

I started having this problem with my 2011 Malibu LT for the last 6-7 weeks. I brought the car into the dealership and they replaced the MAP Sensor. I drove the car off the lot, got about 5 miles away from the dealer and the problem returned. Brought the car back, they kept it for 2 days and could not repeat the problem. Now, 4 weeks later, the problem has returned. I brought the car to the dealership, they got the Service Engine light to turn off and they believe it has something to do with the Engine Control Module, however, since they were unable to reproduce the error, GM says they are not allowed to replace the part. So essentially, I am driving around in a ticking time bomb just waiting to get stuck in traffic because GM won't let the dealership fix the part they believe is causing the issue.

Hi mplsmark,

We're sorry to hear of the repeat concerns that you are having with your Malibu. Please fell free to send us an email to [email protected] if you would like for us to take an extra look into this concern. We will be glad to help.

Kristen A.
    GM Customer Care

• curbedcurbed Member Posts: 1

I'm having the same problems with my 2011 Malibu LTZ. Has GM found a common cause for the “ESC stop, engine power reduced” error/problem?

• catmamma02catmamma02 Member Posts: 2
    I had this problem occur yesterday about an hour away from my home. I was at a friends home and the car would not start when I went to leave. Had it towed to the dealership, but they were already closed for the day.

Guy who towed it thought it has to do with the ECM - battery was ok. Now I am wondering if I should start looking for another car! From what I have read here, it seems folks are not having luck getting this fixed properly and this is a potentially dangerous issue!
  • catmamma02catmamma02 Member Posts: 2
    This is a 2011 Malibu with 63000 miles on it.
  • a_ra_r Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 impala LT 104,800 miles same issue took it to 2 shops they can't figure it out. Midas said it was spark plugs and wires the throttle body needed cleaned and needs EVAP canister. Did all of that same problem. The 2nd shop does not know what is causing the issue I am the original owner of this car and I can say that this car has given me more trouble than any car I have owned previously. And those have been older with many more miles. I contacted GM as suggested above and I'm still waiting for a reply.
  • greenfield3greenfield3 Member Posts: 2

Update: this has happened to me two more times since my original post. I have had the ECM, gas pedal sensor and throttle body replaced. It is currently being looked at by a Chevy dealership. No prognosis yet. There is a thread on another forum (link below) with full details. http://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/very-dangerous-reduced-engine-power-issue-62499/page3/

Hi greenfield3,

We're sure the dealership is doing all they can to correct this issue with your vehicle. Please feel free to keep us updated on the progress of repairs and if there is anything we can look into for you, we're more than happy to help.

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

• tsm1967tsm1967 Member Posts: 1

I almost died today. Car lunged forward at a major interception, then light came on "engine reduced power" and the car died, no warning! Two cars almost hit me and I had to push my car off the road wearing high heels. Stepped in a pot hole and sprained my ankle. Finally got my car to crank and was a nervous wreck to get it to the dealership with it lunging every time I had to take off. Dealership charged $100 an hour because, of course, it's out of warranty. They found it is from a clogged drain line in the sunroof caused an overflow and got the electrical connector to get wet. $499! And I almost died from this! I've read so many similar stories on this issue. Where is the recall?? Can you say Lawyer?

Hello tsm1967,

My apologies to hear you experienced this while driving! I am glad to know that you are safe and that your dealership was able to resolve this concern for you. If you'd like, we can document your feedback in our database. Please send an email to [email protected] Attn:Andraya with your contact information and VIN if you'd like our assistance.

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142

A reporter would like to speak to an owner of a GM car who has had a recent experience with a dealer service department during recalls. If you own a GM car, even one that was not included in the recent recalls, and you've been able to make a service appoint with no problem, or if the recalls have complicated your ability to make a service appointment, please send your daytime contact info to [email protected] no later than Wednesday, Aug 6, 2014 at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bc60bc60 Member Posts: 17

tsm1967 - Look at my comment dated March 2013 at the top of this blog and you can see that my 2011 Malibu LTZ had the same problem and solution. Went to start it up one morning and the reduced engine power light was on. I was able to drive it to the dealer and they found the drain line from the sunroof going down the A-post was clogged and overflowing getting some electrical connection wet. They cleaned the line, dried the connection and everything was fine. At least it was under warranty.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

@gmcustsvc said:
    Hello tsm1967,

My apologies to hear you experienced this while driving! I am glad to know that you are safe and that your dealership was able to resolve this concern for you. If you'd like, we can document your feedback in our database. Please send an email to [email protected] Attn:Andraya with your contact information and VIN if you'd like our assistance.

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

Mods, can we get rid of the Customer Service bots?

• darnell7darnell7 Member Posts: 1

It's Sad ... on June 2, 2014 I had an ESC light come on ... I called GM and they said take it in it's covered under your warranty. I called my dealership they ran the check and said bring it back on Monday. I bought it back on Monday and the guy then said non of this was in my warranty so it's gonna cost 870 dollar but for 519 he could get it back running. So I got it serviced and the guy said drive it and the light will go off, I drove it 1200 miles light was still on then it was out of warranty. Took it back they said 375 and it should be fixed, drive 100 miles and it should reset. Took it back after driving 250 miles light still on. Took it back and now they still have the car and said they had to call GM, but GM said they can't duplicate the issue so now the car sits at the dealership, out of warranty, I am still paying on it, no one knows what's wrong with it....

Hi darnell7,

We recognize your dissatisfaction and apologize for the difficulty you've experienced with your vehicle. We understand the dealership has been unable to duplicate your concerns and we can imagine how this must be frustrating. If you'd like for us to reach out to your dealership for further details, please message us your full name, contact information, VIN and mileage.

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

@darnell7 said:
    It's Sad ... on June 2, 2014 I had an ESC light come on ... I called GM and they said take it in it's covered under your warranty. I called my dealership they ran the check and said bring it back on Monday. I bought it back on Monday and the guy then said non of this was in my warranty so it's gonna cost 870 dollar but for 519 he could get it back running. So I got it serviced and the guy said drive it and the light will go off, I drove it 1200 miles light was still on then it was out of warranty. Took it back they said 375 and it should be fixed, drive 100 miles and it should reset. Took it back after driving 250 miles light still on. Took it back and now they still have the car and said they had to call GM, but GM said they can't duplicate the issue so now the car sits at the dealership, out of warranty, I am still paying on it, no one knows what's wrong with it....

• wootjenwootjen Member Posts: 1

I also have a 2011 Malibu with 73000 miles. Today while I was driving back home from being out of town my car lost power while I was on the highway. The engine light came on and a code read engine power reduced service ESC. My car was shaking and would not gain speed. I was finally able to make it off the highway and stopped to see if my husband and I could figure out what was wrong. We could not see anything wrong. We got back in the car and everything seemed to be working okay now so we headed home. We got almost home when once again my car lost all speed and we were almost hit by another car. We finally made it home and I called a Chevy dealership to try to find out what might be happening and of course the service department is closed. What is wrong with my car? 

wootjen said:

I also have a 2011 Malibu with 73000 miles. Today while I was driving back home from being out of town my car lost power while I was on the highway. The engine light came on and a code read engine power reduced service ESC. My car was shaking and would not gain speed. I was finally able to make it off the highway and stopped to see if my husband and I could figure out what was wrong. We could not see anything wrong. We got back in the car and everything seemed to be working okay now so we headed home. We got almost home when once again my car lost all speed and we were almost hit by another car. We finally made it home and I called a Chevy dealership to try to find out what might be happening and of course the service department is closed. What is wrong with my car? 

Hello blockquote,

I am so sorry you experienced this concern! I can certainly understand how frustrating this must be for you. I am glad that you and your husband are okay. We would be happy to connect with your dealership on your behalf to schedule an appointment. If you are interested, please send us a private message and include your VIN and contact information.

Andraya
    GM Customer Care
  • hopeisurvivehopeisurvive Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all. I too am now in this club. My sunroof drain hose disconnected and during a day long deluge, this began to happen to me too. Check Engine Light on at times, hard shifting, sluggish acceleration, Reduced Engine Power/Traction/Service ESC. Obviously the ridiculous drain hose design (too short and easily works out as it expands/contracts with temp changes) has led to an electrical system malfunction but it has to be pure luck for the mechanic to find it. I know they're doing the best they can but I too have thrown $290 on the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor with no improvement so it is back in the Dealer's shop. Certainly I too foresee having my bank account drained throwing parts at this with no resolution or die on the highway... whichever comes first.
  • zandor60657zandor60657 Member Posts: 8
    It could be worse. My sister in law had an Audi A6 2.7T with a drainage design defect. I think it was a 2005. Some drain tube got plugged up by leaves, which resulted in a heavy rain soaking the area behind the dashboard and leaving a mini lake on the floor of the car. The car was only a few years old, but it ended up totaled due to water damage. The really funny part is it was in a garage when this happened. The garage roof leaked. You wouldn't think a little water falling from the ceiling would total a car, but it did. Insurance covered the loss. If you have a big water related problem try your insurance company if you can't get the manufacturer to cover it.
  • jhall89jhall89 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015

I have a 2011 Malibu that I experienced this problem twice in. It would be driving normal then suddenly without warning the engine would begin violently shaking. At that point the Service ESC would display on the message center, Reduced engine power would also display. I would pull over and shut it off for a few minutes and then restart it and it would be fine. I pulled the codes in the car to see what was going on as the check engine light was on and the code P2135 was stored. This code I have researched and learned occurs when the pedal position sensor and the throttle position sensor are off for more than 2 seconds. I removed my throttle body and cleaned it and placed it back on the car. After that all was well until it then displayed a different issue. Same messages in the message center on the dash but the car didn't seem to have power. It would build speed very slowly and occasionally when pulling off from a stop sign or red light the car would seem to lose throttle for a second or two then pick back up and take off. I decided at this point to carry it to the dealer. I had them replace and program the throttle body on it. I kept the old throttle body off the car as I wanted to tear it down and see the possible cause of my problem. I found that the throttle body, made by Bosch by the way, was having issues with what I would call bad crimps. The two crimps pictured below that relay info between the throttle itself (the part with the white gears) and the TPS sensor (the black part) that is made onto these were extremely loose and could possibly be loosing connection or giving false readings or in my case as my dealer informed me have a dead short. This would become particularly prominent over time as heat and vibration would begin to loosen these even more. I believe GM needs to take a look at these if they haven't already and work out a improvement with Bosch for a new design. This is simply asking for trouble.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    This is a code for a correlation issue between the two throttle position sensors inside the throttle body, not between the pedal and the throttle. The description of the code is that the difference between TPS#1 and TPS#2 exceed an allowable limit for .2 seconds. The description in service information does not specify what that limit is, but to catch the circuit acting up would take a two channel oscilloscope or a full O.E. scan tool to have a data update rate sufficient to catch the glitch. The terminals that you pointed out are for the throttle motor control, not the TPS sensors. They are behind that larger gear that is visible completely inside the black plastic housing.
  • me_2_hotme_2_hot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Malibu as well. It had the same issue the other day as I was heading to Kansas City. I lost power and all of the warning lights came up. I took it to the dealership and they said there was nothing they could do unless the problem replicated itself at the shop. Of course it won't do it when you have a mechanic look at it. I contacted Chevrolet today after reading that other people are having the same problem. I have a case number and they gave me the number to the NHTSA to file a complaint. If you have the same problem with your Malibu call this number 1-888-327-4236 and file a report so that GM will finally issue a Recall for this part,
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    me_2_hot said:

If you have the same problem with your Malibu call this number 1-888-327-4236 and file a report so that GM will finally issue a Recall for this part,

Which part? I have seen different causes and fixs depending on what code comes up. In your case it sounds like code may not have been saved after restart and if possible it would be best to get it to dealer and have it scanned while still running.
  • snowiteduvsnowiteduv Member Posts: 1
    Having the same problem here with my 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. I love Chevy but this has me concerned about quality of their newer vehicles. Reduced engine power light on, will not start. Having it towed to the dealership today. I hope they get a handle on this problem. I've never been let down with a Chevy!

Having the same problem here with my 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. I love Chevy but this has me concerned about quality of their newer vehicles. Reduced engine power light on, will not start. Having it towed to the dealership today. I hope they get a handle on this problem. I've never been let down with a Chevy!

Hey there,

We deeply apologize that your Malibu is currently experiencing similar concerns. We would be happy to look into this further on your behalf, and contact the dealership. Please feel free to send us an e-mail to [email protected] and include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. We look forward to your response!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care

• easygoereasygoer Member Posts: 1
    I just had the exact same issue with my 2011 Malibu. I was going 55 mph down a narrow rural highway at night, suddenly the car slipped for just a second like it was on ice and then I got the reduced power and other messages. I limped the remaining 9 miles home after a 200 mile trip. The car was shaking violently at the end. There is clearly a significant issue with this model and, by now, this must be a known issue. It's dangerous, life threatening. and deserves a recall. Planning to have it towed tomorrow.
  • defiant6defiant6 Member Posts: 1
    Well now I can be added to the list of engine shaking and engine power reduced message popping up. This is happening on a 2007 Chevy Malibu. I've had this car for a little over 5 years now and has been a very reliable car for me and up until now, have not had any serious problems with it. Fortunately I just paid it off in the middle of last year.

When I made it to the parking lot of my job yesterday (in the middle of a winter storm as well), I was getting ready to shut my car off when the engine and car started shaking, the engine light came on and on the dash, engine power reduced message came on. I immediately turned it off, waited for about 3 minutes and turned it on again and once again it started shaking and that message came up. I was starting to get really worried about how I was going to get home as I live about 20 miles away and this happened at the worst possible time in the middle of a winter storm here in Wichita, KS. Well I worked for about 5 hours and was able to get out early, turned my car on again and this time there was no engine shaking, but the engine light was still on. I was able to drive it home safely, but still worried about it. Will bring it to a GMC shop in a nearby town Monday morning so they can take a look at it. There goes my tax return money.
  • meltc36meltc36 Member Posts: 1
    Here I go. Very upset right now. I purchased a 2011 chevy malibu in February 2014. Kept my oil changed and whatever maintenance the car needed cared for. This February 2015 made a year of me having the car with 81000 miles on it 65000 when I first purchased it. Went to have a oil change, back breaks, and a tune up. Now the esc and traction warning light keeps coming on. Reducing power message at the same time it stalling very badly. Twice I almost got into a crash with this happening while I'm driving. Whats up Chevy Factory?  What is going on with your chevy malibus. Come on now I spent my hard earn money getting this car. Now I regret it. I thought Chevrolet were good automobile company to purchase a car from. I see I'm not the only one with this problem. Is it a recall on this problem? Do chevy factory warranty pay for the proble?  I did research on this problem and I see it cost alot to get fix. I will never purchase another chevy again. I wouldn't even recommend the chevy malibu to anyone. I'm really heated. A trotter body problem. That's what the computer say. Cost a lot of money to get that fix. :(
  • kwood212kwood212 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    BOTTOM LINE: My car stalled 3 times on 270 on the way w/ this reduced power issue. This could have caused a fatal accident.
    The transparency of the internet is a great driving force against lobbiests, slackers, abusers, and degenerates. I am from a Chevrolet family. In 1997, my first ALL CASH BRAND NEW Chevrolet sports car rolled off the factory line straight to my driveway. Here we are in 2015. I purchased, all cash, a very nice looking 2011 Chevrolet Malibu with a FULL CARFAX from a dealership with high ratings. Just a few months later and the unfathomable problems with this vehicle are causing me to question, not just Chevrolet, but also AMERICAN CULTURE. I was hesitant to purchase an American Car after my experiences here. The very fabric of America has been made weak by foreign competitors with more tooffer for less. Our culture has been destroyed from the inside. I spent just under a YEAR out of the country. I came back and decided to buy an American Car. To have faith in AMERICA AGAIN. I paid cash. I found this car. What I didn't expect my hard earned money was to be treated how I was treated by this conglomerate. I am not asking for special treatment but this car should NOT have this issue. I am researching online finding that, not just me, but MANY OTHERS have this very serious and dangerous issue. I called Chevrolet with this issue of jumping checking on a recall of this serious issue. I do not doubt that this issue has caused fatal accidents. Just the rapid response of their social networking team, indicates, to me, that Chevrolet is WELL aware of this engineering defect and massive failure. The car is more aesthetically appealing than many prior Chevrolet models. When it works, it does drive well. This jumping and power failure is SOO SCARY. I took my car into a dealership last week to fix a recall. They allegedly fixed the recall now my car is failing more frequently with the same issue all above commentators describe. I took photos of this error.

While, I did not expect the dealership that my car stopped in front of, ironically 1 week after the recall, to fix my car for free. I AM MORTIFIED, however, by the lack of customer service, discrimination based on gender and apparent success, price gouging, and over all lack of respect for women at the dealership. Not only did they not fix the issue. They did not address this issue about WHY it is working WORSE after they fixed something else just one week before???? They attempted to charge me nearly 900 usd for parts that allegedly costs $28.00 usd online. I have worked VERY hard in my life. I am 2 years away from a JD. I should not be treated so terribly by these high school trade school over paid chauvos. Then when a woman complains about an OBVIOUS discriminatory practice she is treated worse??? This issue is all over the internet. I DIDN'T ENGINEER THE FAILED PARTS. The diagnostic was $122.88 wtf is that? WHEN I FAIL: I don't get paid. CHEVEROLET SHAME ON YOU. DISSAPOINTED. The call center experience, DIALING INTO CHEVY, to report the problem was slightly worse than the actual price gouging at the Dealership. Over 50 minutes on the phone reporting an issue that CHEVROLET IS WELL AWARE OF. I am mortified by this experience, disgusted by the lack of sophistication from the call center, annoying nanny people playing b level psychological games. CHEVY: TAKE ACCOUNTABILITY. NOT A PLEASANT WEDNESDAY MORNING.
    meltc36 said:

Here I go. Very upset right now. I purchased a 2011 chevy malibu in February 2014. Kept my oil changed and whatever maintenance the car needed cared for. This February 2015 made a year of me having the car with 81000 miles on it 65000 when I first purchased it. Went to have a oil change, back breaks, and a tune up. Now the esc and traction warning light keeps coming on. Reducing power message at the same time it stalling very badly. Twice I almost got into a crash with this happening while I'm driving. Whats up Chevy Factory?  What is going on with your chevy malibus. Come on now I spent my hard earn money getting this car. Now I regret it. I thought Chevrolet were good automobile company to purchase a car from. I see I'm not the only one with this problem. Is it a recall on this problem? Do chevy factory warranty pay for the proble?  I did research on this problem and I see it cost alot to get fix. I will never purchase another chevy again. I wouldn't even recommend the chevy malibu to anyone. I'm really heated. A trotter body problem. That's what the computer say. Cost a lot of money to get that fix. :(

Hello Meltc36,

We truly apologize for these concerns involving your Malibu, and we can certainly understand how unsettling this may seem. We would be more than happy to look into this further for you. Can you please send us an e-mail to [email protected] along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership? We look forward to hearing from you!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care

• blessedbyhimblessedbyhim Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 chevy malibu ltz. Two years ago my check engine light came on, had reduced power while sriving, took the car to dealership. I had to take my car there 3 times for it to get finally get dized. They said it was the accelerator pedal, they had to repair wiring then it was the throttle body. Fast forward to 2015. I went to take my car to the dealership to get the right front light replaced. I didn't want to take it to a dealershup bc they couldn't fix my car right the first time and their supposed  to be well trained in fixing their own cars but the front lights are tricky since they have to take bumper ofd, etc to replace them. They talked me into getting both replaced at same time which was almost 200 bucks, then of course they came and told me I needed other things like new air filter and a recall. I said ok. I left and a few days later my check engine light comes on again. I took it back to the dealership they said it sounds like it could be the sillonoid module, then when someone rode with me in the car, they said it sounded like the transmission. Then the next day they did a diagnosti and said it was the transmission module and recommend  getting a whole new transmission.  My car is only abt 4 yrs old. Coat for module 1646, or transmission over 4200...ridiculous! Every time I take my car to the dealership there is an issue. I should not have transmission problems, just put so much money into the car already and now new transmission.  I'm thinking they did something to it before when it was at the dealership and won't admit it. How do you have to take a car back 3 times! Absolutely makes no sensense.  Back then I was under warrenty now I have no warrentry and they tell me the price to fix it like I'm made of monwy! I'm so irked!! After reading these similar complaints I may as well put money toward a new car. Aesthetically they look really nice but on the inside I'm thinking not so much. I have two cousins with the same car and they'very had issues as well. 
  • problem_solvedproblem_solved Member Posts: 1
    I just recently signed up to this forum. I myself own a 2011 Malibu and it had the same problems as everybody here. First it started with the stalling here and there. Then it started dying out on me while driving, then the engine stated shaking really bad and sent a message of service esc, engine power reduced. Good thing I was at my father in laws house when the engine power reduced message came. He works for Chevy and good thing he has a code scanner in hand. So he managed to get a code out of the car and it's P0120. It would say something about the throttle but there's more to it. He can also go to some website to see how to diagnose / fix the problem step by step and what he came up with is the ECM (engine control module) so I had the car towed to the dealership where I bought the car and told them what the problem was and what they need to do
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    edited May 2015

He can also go to some website to see how to diagnose / fix the problem step by step and what he came up with is the ECM (engine control module) so I had the car towed to the dealership where I bought the car and told them what the problem was and what they need to do

So what happens if the ECM isn't THE problem this time? Who would be at fault for failing to fix the car if that happens? While it is plausible, jumping to any one conclusion without fully testing the system during a failure is a mistake and usually results in failing to diagnose and repair the problem. It also ends up is lost time and wasted components when they are blindly tossed at a problem. Testing and analyzing problems like this means using bi-directional controls to command the PCM to perform outputs as well as recording and studying both failure data as well as live data from a full scan tool instead of just getting a a code with a cheap code puller. It also means backing that data up with direct measurements using tools like a a digital storage oscilloscope. The perception that someone can reliably "diagnose" problems like this from just a code pull and a little google searching is only held onto through a lack of knowledge, not real insight and understanding of the vehicle and it's systems. If it was really that easy, don't you think the techs would be able to to solve problems on the cars that way?

P0120 sets when the PCM see's TPS#1 voltage below .32v or above 4.7v for more than .2 seconds. So was there a P0122, or a P0123 to go with it so we at least know if the signal was measured as too high, or too low? What did the freeze frame and failure records show the stored data at? When tested manually to prove if the ECM was reading the sensor correctly or not, was the 5v reference correct, the ground less than .1v and exactly what was the sensor output? Did the scan tool show whether TPS#1 and TPS#2 agree or not in the data stream? Was it directly proven that the TPS #1 sensor signal voltage when measured was different than what the ECM reported seeing in the scan data, while the problem was occurring?
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    The Chevrolet Malibu is a poor example of a quality vehicle. The drive train is poorly designed. The 6 speed transmission lacks positive operational characteristics. It does not know when to "down shift" and "up-shift." The four cylinder engine lacks power as compared to a four cylinder Honda engine. I traded a high mileage Honda Civic for this piece of junk! I would not own this vehicle without an extended warranty! ---- Just sitting in my driveway the vehicle is self-destructing! There is no quality in the Chevrolet Malibu vehicle! If you are in the market for a four cylinder vehicle look at a Toyota or Honda! --- Stay away from a Chevrolet Malibu! Total garbage! The only thing good about the vehicle is my GREAT dealer! It is not their fault that the product is of poor quality! They cannot fix what was not designed properly at the factory! ---- Dwayne
  • jamestreyjamestrey Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone I'm joining the gang! I bought a 2010 Chevy Malibu April of 2015 with only 64000 miles. The engine went out on me in August but was covered by warranty and I received a brand new engine from
    the dealership. I thought great this car will last me for 20 years now. Well I about died today on chapel hill Road with errors consisting of (esc off) (service traction) (reduced engine power). I mean really Chevy??? Really?? I used to own a 1995 Chevy Impala.... I'm very disappointed with Chevy and the Malibu..... It's back at the dealership who put in the brand new engine. Hopefully I'll hear some good news tomorrow..,
  • wiseguy1929wiseguy1929 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like I've got the same issue with my 2011 Chevy Malibu. My teenage daughter drive this car, because I thought it would be a safe, low mileage vehicle for her to drive to and from school. We bought the car new, and it currently has around 40K miles on it.

Like others, on now three occasions. we have experienced the Reduced Engine Power warning and a mild shaking of the vehicle when first starting the vehicle. Thankfully, this has not occurred at full speed, yet.

Hoping this is easily remedied as my wife and I need to feel that our daughter is driving a safe vehicle. I does seem like this issue is recall worthy as so many people seem to be reporting the same safety issue.
    Well, I took my car in for the Reduced Engine Power, Service Traction, Service ESC, car shaking issues. At the same time, I was going to have them perform GM Recall #:N130036 for BRAKE LAMP MALFUNCTION that I had been putting off. The service center did the recall and told me it should take care of the other issues. Crossing my fingers. Picking up the car today.
    Ok, I assumed since my repairs didn't cost anything that the recall was all they did. Turns out they scanned for codes and returned DTC Code P2176 - Minimum Throttle Position Not Learned. They replaced the Throttle Body and performed a re-learn procedure. They said my warranty covered it and that warranty expires in 2016 (after 5 years).
    Hi wiseguy1929,

We certainly understand the importance of making sure your daughter's vehicle is safe and reliable. We're glad to hear you've already taken the Malibu into the dealership for repairs and that everything is operating as designed. If you have any concerns that arise in the future please don't hesitate to contact us. We're just a private message away.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • atwitsend4atwitsend4 Member Posts: 1
    I am so frustrated reading these posts! We have a 2010 Malibu that we purchased new. It has over 150k miles on it. The car started loosing power and shaking about 3 months ago. We have had the throttle body changed twice and now the power train control module changed once. We picked it up from the dealership today and it lost power again after driving about 30 miles. I cannot believe after all of these posts for the same problem over a year there has not been a recall nor a resolution! We have owned all Chevys from the Avalanche to two Malibus to just purchasing a 2015 Impala! I am at my wits end as to what to do. We cannot trade the car in because we owe more than the trade in value. My 17 year old daughter was going to drive this car to school however is still isn't fixed! I don't know what to do. We have paid over $800 so far and the car is still not fixed. Ugh! 
  • kerrygmkerrygm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT and I are started experiencing this problem a little over a month ago. It has happened 5 times now in this month. My symptoms are similar. My Check Engine light comes on, but it seems to run fine. A short time later, the Check Engine and Anti-lock brake light comes on and I get the ENG PWR REDUCED message on the DIC. The car completely loses power. I then shut it off and after a few minutes start it up and it it seems to be ok, for the time being. The Check Engine light remains on but it eventually it goes off. I have gone as long as 2 weeks without it happening, but just happened again yesterday. Took it to the dealer today, and no current codes but the are seeing the DTC P1516, DTC P2135, and DTC P2138 codes in the history. They quoted me $418 to replace the Throttle Body, but told me that they are not sure if this will fix the problem or not. They said ideally they would like me to bring it in while it still has the codes current, and so I am going to try and do this. Seeing all of the issues reported on this forum and many others, I'm surprised a solution has not been promoted by GM. Guess I'll start looking for something reliable like a Toyota.
    Hi all:

I stopped by this site, and I have been reviewing all of the postings. The one thought that crossed my mind, while reading all of these posting is that; ---- "here are a group of people, who wanted to purchase an American made vehicle, and in the process, they are now stuck with vehicles that cannot operate properly, and cannot seem to be repaired either by the dealership network, or the manufacturer!" ---- (And, it appears that the manufacturer really does not care about taking care of the customer!) ---- The factory people on this site express their concern, but that does nothing for the people who are stuck with a vehicle that they cannot drive in a safe / dependable manner! ----- General Motors is dropping the ball big time with regards to the Malibu! ----- In my lifetime I have owned Honda Accords and a Toyota Camry. ---- The 2.4 / 2010 Malibu, that I presently own, does not come close to the quality of my old 2003 Honda Accord! --- The Honda four cylinder was refined, while the Malibu four cylinder is crude and it lacks power! The six speed automatic transmission is a "TOY!" It does not "know when to shift," and it "forgets to shift!" --- If GM was trying to copy the Honda Accord they missed the boat big time! ---- I am looking forward to seeing the "NEW & IMPROVED" 2016 Malibu! --- Since I am in the market for a new car, I will be taking a test ride on this vehicle when it finally hits the show room. I will be comparing it to the 2016 Accord & 2016 Camry!
  • debf0605debf0605 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Malibu LTZ. I was hesitant about purchasing another Malibu since I had so many problems with my 2000 Malibu(had to replace engine at 75000 miles). But I was assured that the problems had been resolved and that the warranty for trans and engine was 100000 miles. This car is awful and I can honestly say I do not feel sad in it. My esc lights would come on as well as power steering this was a few years ago I lost power steering a few times on the expressway and had to try and get the car off the road very dangerous. I contacted GM was told it was not on recall list even though there was a recall for same issue up to models 2009. The problem seemed to correct it's self for now. Yet I find it disturbing that I get a letter almost 2 years later that if this happens it will be covered under warranty up to 120000 miles o have 122000 miles screwed again. Then in 2015 my windshield wipers stopped working during a rain storm on the expressway going 65 meh turns out it is the wiper transmission cost 465.00. 2 weeks later car back in shop my transmission goes out at 115000 miles cost 3700. The car never has driven well and I can honestly say I don't ever feel safe in it. Today I took the care in for oil change the check engine light came on the car was running sluggish. I had to leave the car. My mechanic is just called after hooking the car up can't remember what he said is wrong will update later but he said eventually the car would continue to run sluggish until eventually it might die well another 400.00 plus other issues that will have to wait. I don't mind normal maintence but it has been one issue after another with this vehicle and the take your car in for a recall only if it happens is gross negligence you know there is an issue why not fix it?? Oh I see now hopefully it will happen after the extended warranty and we will have to dig deeper into our pocket thanks GM,!!!! The windshield transmission and the transmission at 115000 miles should have never happens. I have many people say what a great looking car I do not hesitate to tell them all the issues with this car change their mind real fast.....I will never buy another GM car again NEVER!!!!
    I took my Malibu in for an oil and filter service, and while I was at the dealership, I looked at the new 2016 "top of the line" Chevrolet Malibu. ---- ($35550.00 MSRP) ---- YES, it is a beautiful vehicle. ---- GM has done a GREAT job on the body and styling, but the price is a little high for a Malibu. ----- I could purchase a loaded XLE Camry for less, -- or -- a basic Avalon for the price tag of the Malibu ($35550.00.) --- The Camry and the Avalon would hold their value better than the Malibu, which is an important consideration at trade-in time, or if the car gets totaled in an accident. The dealership is not discounting this vehicle. The customer only gets "factory incentives," which is not a discount, because the dealer gets reimbursed for this deductions.

QUESTIONS: Has the quality of the Malibu improved based on what has been written about the Malibu on this site? ---- GM wants $35550.00 dollars for this vehicle, but is the customer getting $35550.00 dollars worth of value. ---- Is it a "high quality product?" ---- At this point, I do not know, ---- but I am going to think "long and hard," before I commit myself to a three year loan for this vehicle!