Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Grand Am Battery Replacement

bensjetsbensjets Member Posts: 7
edited January 2014 in Pontiac

Does anyone know how to replace a battery on a 04 Grand Am GT without the radio shutting down? It has a theftlock " Monsoon" stereo that has a small red light that flashes when you pull the key out of the ignition. My manual states it learns part of the VIN# to activate. it. I just bought this car used and I didn't get any numbers to use to to this myself. I'm trying to avoid any dealers cause they charge way to much to do this where I live. I'm sure there is a simple way to do this. Places like Advance Auto replace batteries for free if you buy one from them, so must be a way to do this. Thanks for any help.It is a stock stereo.

Comments

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@bensjets said:
    Does anyone know how to replace a battery on a 04 Grand Am GT without the radio shutting down? It has a theftlock " Monsoon" stereo that has a small red light that flashes when you pull the key out of the ignition. My manual states it learns part of the VIN# to activate. it. I just bought this car used and I didn't get any numbers to use to to this myself. I'm trying to avoid any dealers cause they charge way to much to do this where I live. I'm sure there is a simple way to do this. Places like Advance Auto replace batteries for free if you buy one from them, so must be a way to do this. Thanks for any help.It is a stock stereo.

I cannot seem to be able to come up with the name, but there are devices that plug into cigarette lighter (or other 'HOT' plug) that will keep power to radio while battery being changed

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2014

I've heard them called battery savers, memory savers, battery memory savers, memory settings savers, computer memory savers.

No guarantees that a memory saver will actually save your radio settings though. There are some brands that plug into the OBDII port instead of having a 9v battery connected to the power port.

Maybe the place you buy the battery from can do it for you.

• Options

I just found this answer. I'm changing the battery myself, but I will ask someone like Auto Zone on how they do it. Thanks.

• Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524

I've changed the battery plus disconnected it in my 04 for service without having to do anything to the radio. Why the concern?

• Options

Sorry it took so long to get back. I had some health issues. It has a Theftlock, and everything I've read about this type of system is once the power is stopped to the stereo, you need a code to turn it back on, or you must take it to a dealer to do this. Auto Zone uses what they called a memory saver when they change the battery on this type of system

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

Walmart has these "memory savers" is it simply a standard 9Volt battery that plugs into the power-outlet.

For me, I just use whatever 12V power-source is conveniently available. (Jumper-cables from other car, motorcycle-battery.... etc.)

The standard precautions while working around electricity MUST be followed.

• Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524

My understanding is that the theftlock only comes into play if you remove the unit and put it in another car. Then you would need the code to unlock it. I've never had to do anything in the ten years I've had my 04 and I've disconnected the battery several times.