Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Soft Top Trim. Chevrolet Tracker

mysonstrackermysonstracker Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Chevrolet

My son just purchased a 1998 Chevrolet Tracker and took a ride with the top down. Unfortunately, when he got home with it, we realized that the trim around the fenders that holds the soft top in place is broken in a great number of places. To make matters worse, my son broke the trim pieces even more in his attempt to re-place the soft top. I have gone to several junk yards trying to locate replacement pieces but they were brittle and also broke easily. Does anyone know where I can get replacement trim pieces? I also tried gmpartsonline and they do not have the trim pieces.

Also, does anyone know how to make a jumper to trick the Tracker into displaying maintenance codes? I used to do this on one of my older model cars with a paper clip but am unsure how to do it for the Tracker.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Might try eBay or just a search for Tracker soft top. Or Geo Tracker soft top, since I assume the parts would be interchangeable.

• mysonstrackermysonstracker Member Posts: 2

Thank you Stever. I did find some trim parts on eBay, we're going to give them a shot. It's an entire set of what looks to be brand new parts.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Hope it works out. I remember the soft top on my Jeep being a pain, but that was back in '74-'77. It was all held on with snaps and they never all reconnected after removing it for the first time. B)

Maybe you can post some pics on Reader's Rides or a before and after shot in here.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Your 1998 Tracker is OBD-II compliant. You were thinking of OBD-I systems. You need a scanner for codes (for most OBD-II cars). It's a great tool to have and many simple ones are quite inexpensive. Places like OReilly have a display board with various scanners that tell you the price as well as what the scanner you pick can and cannot do.

• saltydawg01saltydawg01 Member Posts: 1
    Ok I just bought my first tracker 1998, it has been sitting in a graduate for years... Of course the first thing I did was to take down the top, well while doing so I found that the two brackets that hold the rear window piece to the door were broken any idea what those pieces are called... And/or a diagram spelling them out ... If it rains it will come in and I can smell exhaust coming in the back also.... Thanks
  • 93tracker5spd93tracker5spd Member Posts: 194
    Hello! Found this web address and remembered reading your post:

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Jeep-Exterior-Accessories/Soft-Tops-Skins-Hardware/_Geo-Tracker

Good luck.