Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I have a 2002 bravada. The dash says "unknown driver". Fan motor woks, radio works, seats work.

bct41551bct41551 Member Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Oldsmobile

I have a 2002 bravada. The dash says "unknown driver". Fan motor woks, radio works, seats work. Windows do not, locks do not, and it will not turn over. Help please!

Answers

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited April 2014

Given ALL the symptoms as a whole I would be thinking battery/cable connection troubles. Not unusual for some things to appear ok and others not with the sensitive nature of electronics. When you try to start it you just hear nothing, or clicking?

• bct41551bct41551 Member Posts: 5

Thanks ray80 for replying. I hear nothing when I turn key, battery is fully charged. I even tried disconnecting battery for an hour, but no change.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2014

@bct41551 said:
    I have a 2002 bravada. The dash says "unknown driver". Fan motor woks, radio works, seats work. Windows do not, locks do not, and it will not turn over. Help please!

I recommend checking each of the ground cables and the connections at each end. I am familiar with the larger sedans from GM rather than the truck side, but there are several small ground cables from the battery connector that go to the fender for ground. Remove and clean all those to get fresh metal. Also check the inside if the ground cable near the end for corrosion under the plastic; same for the positive cable.

Because the fan motor works, some circuit is okay. Because the windows and door locks dont' work, my first suspicion would be a problem with the communication between the driver door module and the other doors. Again I'm making a parallel to how the sedans are wired. Have you had water get inside the door on the driver side? What about water under the carpet from sunroof or leak?

On certain sedans, a brown cable goes from the driver door module to the modules in the other 3 doors and runs under the driver seat to a 4-way metal bridge connector wrapped inside the beauty cover. That connector corrodes when there's moisture under that area over time. So the communication is broken off on some or all doors.

Since there is nothing when the starter should engage, this requires some thinking. First, someone with a meter needs to verify that the starter has positive power to the large cable. Then they need to test on the small connection for the power that comes from turning the key to CRANK. If there's no power to the small connector on the starter while the key is twisted over, then you have a problem with the starting circuit. Which could be a relay, if one is in the circuit, or could be the key and the circuit that reads the transponder in the key when it's turned.

What's the security light doing?

Do you have another key to try? If not, and if the power to the starter seems to be right except no power for the solenoid small wire, look for a method for relearning the key code to the starter enable circuit. I have read about people turning key to ON or Crank, then leaving key ON for 10 minutes and the security light has gone off. Then turn key OFF for a few seconds and turn back to ON for 10 minutes until security light is off. Repeat a third time. I am not sure I have it right, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• buddygleebuddyglee Member Posts: 44

Are you using an oem key? If the key you have is not chipped for that car it may not work. You will need to reset the security system or go to the dealer with the title or registration and see if they can make a matched key for you.