Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Reader's Rides & Photos

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

Maybe you can try compressing it? There's several online sites that will do that if you don't have some sort of photo editor. I just tested a 4.4mb upload and it worked fine. Feel free to email it to me if you want me to try a test.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    edited May 2014

This site seems to have stalled out in traffic. Too bad as there are lots more pics like this one arond. This is of my BILs (The Doctor) red garage. (all red cars) 67 or 68 Camaro, 2008 Shelby GT 500 and a Ford GT (his favorite)

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Not sure why, but once again my pic doesn't appear. Hmmm

edited May 2014

I wonder if you managed to type over the "code" when you entered your text. Got it reinserted.

So, is your BIL a hematologist? :)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

I like that collection. That Ford GT is very pretty in red.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

I'll have to log in from the desktop to dig up some pictures. none on the laptop. Should get ambitious and scan some of the old ones in out of the photo album.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    I wonder if you managed to type over the "code" when you entered your text. Got it reinserted.
    (Thanks)
    So, is your BIL a hematologist? :)

That took me a second to "get it" Hema=blood=RED. No he's a surgeon type doctor.
    Just once I want to drive that GT to see what it drives like. I'll bet it has feel of the racetrack!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

Here's one photo I made of my new Malibu

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Nice! I'm starting to see them on the road more and more. Very sharp!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092

I have to admit I have warmed up to the new Malibu. I used to think didn't look better than the previous model, but it does have a sharpness to it now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on Mark's 500SL. Love it - a white R129 is such a 90s dream.

Much nicer than the previous rentabu.

edited May 2014

the wife's baby:

the Odyssey hidden in the background.

My former mid-life crisis toy:

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited May 2014

Good angle on that Acura shot! It's best to avoid the front end on those. :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Nice, Stick. Good quality vehicles all around. I'm waiting to see what Imid has to say after you pretty much called his new set of wheels a rent-a-car. I'm sure you meant well.

I like the new style. it was the previous generation. I don't rent all that often, but every time I do I seem to end up with a prior generation malibu with 40K on it. We affectionately call them Rentabus.

Hey, it's better than the old Iraqui taxibus!

@stickguy‌

The Miata looks great & I really dig your RDX. The secret must be out on them because I rarely see them, but I must have seen a dozen f them in the past 2-3 days.

have to look close. They look a lot like the new MDX, especially in profile. Different headlights and the tail is a bit different.

The Miata was bright. It did have a lot of scratches on the trunk lid though for some reason. Fun car, but I rarely got to drive it. And barely fit. The newer models have a little bit more room. At this point, not only couldn't I get out of one, I might not be able to get in!

edited May 2014

@mako1a said:
    I'm waiting to see what Imid has to say after you pretty much called his new set of wheels a rent-a-car.

Actually, I thought I'd just overlook that remark as not deserving a response. But I changed my mind.

It's tiring to see certain scapegoating of various GM aspects go on and on because others hear them and assume they're true and that it's okay to repeat them over and over. It's like like toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyunda, don't have any cars they put out in the fleet and rental market.

I look at the continual perpetuation of the Aztek jokes. Certainly the Juke and Element along with certain Hondas and HyKias have odd-looking choices. The Aztek in solid colors certainly is not as different looking as the ones with contrasting add on panels. Also, the period of time involved when it was dressed out was a factor.

Actually part of the reason I bought this Malibu is because I had a rental Malibu about 4 years ago that was nice. I loved the drive. My sister-in-law had one when she was home for her father's funeral. She has a lot of rentals as a flight attendant for United. The rental I had was however an LS. GM should require the leasing/rental companies to purchase autos that are more upscale rather than the base trim. Note that from what I can tell there are option packages that add some certain features to the LS that are fleet only.

I hesitated putting up my picture of my Malibu 2LT with options added. It's hardly a "Rentabu."

your car is nice looking. huge upgrade over the last generation. I sat in one at the car show, and the interior was snazzy. And the ones I got in the older style always seemed to be higher mileage, and base level (which frankly was probably designed by GM specifically for rental companies). I did have one a couple of years back for a business trip to Virginia was actually an enjoyable drive. decently equipped, and road well overall. But ubiquitous in rental fleets.

rental companies getting the absolute cheapest model (probably only sold to them) certainly does nothing for the public perception of certain models. And for the new style, yours certainly doesn't have that problem, but I also doubt I will ever see one like that at Hertz.

That's still a problem with rentals across the board - most are base spec. Even for premium cars - if you are lucky enough to get BMW/MB/Infiniti etc rental in the US, chances are the option list will be almost nothing. Every now and then I see a better optioned GM rental (Impala or Cruze LTZ usually), but the majority are basic. As rental cars might influence purchases, this might not be the smartest idea for makers when supplying rentals. Ford seems to supply more nicely equipped rentals than GM or Chrysler, as I have seen endless amounts of Limited and Titanium trim cars in fleets.

And strangely enough, or maybe not - in Europe, you can find really loaded rentals. My last rental in Germany, an A8, was loaded. Different world I guess.

Regarding Aztek, I think eventually it will become a special interest car - it already has a cult behind it. I don't know if the same will happen to Juke or Element, as they aren't as unashamedly odd.

I don't know how the heck we're going to downsize to an xB, much less a Soul. This load is just for a 3 night camping trip and I haven't even loaded the cooler or our clothes and other odds and ends yet.

Ah, Steve....

Know thyself.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

For the first time since 1974, I don't own a canoe at least. :-)

CX-5 nice, manual transmission xB meh, Soul nice, Forester - wife thought it was a bit trucky.

the CX-5 is a really nice driving piece.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    For the first time since 1974, I don't own a canoe at least. :-)

... Soul nice, ,,,

You're not going to get all that camping equipment I see in the picture
    into a Soul. I see a couple owned by a nearby surveying company when
    they stop at the local quick market where I get my coffee. They have
    the back area filled with equipment and what looks like file cabinets.
    But no canoe on top and all that stuff inside.

edited May 2014

@stickguy, my wife complained that I slung her around too much in the roundabout in the CX-5. The one we drove had the bigger tires so that may have been part of it (and it looks like it has a higher center of gravity). I'd like to look at it again. She thought it had the best driver's seat of all of them.

@imidazol97, the canoe is gone but hauling bikes will be an issue. Have to get a hitch mount for the next ride most likely, since a sunroof is a want. We're going to try to see a Jetta Sportwagen and an Equinox this morning. (Oh, I haven't lost my packing touch since my Bug and Tercel days, not to mention living out of a canoe for 3 weeks. The big duffle for example is bedding and the sleeping bags would compress down to the size of a fireplace log or couch bolster. Just takes more time to pack up in the mornings).

I think Steve needs to find...an Aztek

@fintail said:
    I think Steve needs to find...an Aztek

I'd suggest an extended van like the Chevy that out scout troop bought that carries 15 people with all the seats in. Remove the seats and voila you have a huge cargo space. I know because I removed the seats to haul the entire popcorn order for the troop back from the central distribution point in the van.

That could work. Act now while nice newer ones still exist. In the not too distant past, they made 4WD models too, might help in camping. However, I think the other half didn't want something "trucky" - a big old fashioned van is pretty much a truck. But if you want to haul like a truck, you might have to adapt.

@imidazol97 said:

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063

@fintail said:
    That could work. Act now while nice newer ones still exist. In the not too distant past, they made 4WD models too, might help in camping. However, I think the other half didn't want something "trucky" - a big old fashioned van is pretty much a truck. But if you want to haul like a truck, you might have to adapt.

They make a commercial version of the Grand Caravan .. that might work.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited May 2014

Downsizing folks. :D I used to backpack before I learned that you see good country letting canoes carry the gear, so I still know how to cut handles off toothbrushes.

Good car dealers in Madison. Tested a Chevy Equinox which was nice and comfy. Roomy enough. Didn't like the engine response. Would blame it on computer learning but next we drove a Ford Escape.

Since we have no plans to tow, we opted to drive the 1.6l. We were both quite impressed with how peppy and responsive it was. The moonroof was a let down - started too far back for the driver to really enjoy it.

Still liking the Soul but you'll never guess what the deal-killer may be. The lack of a spare tire. Most of the other vehicles we've looked at have a "full size" compact spare and a couple have room to swap out a real tire for the compact spare. My wife has visions of being stuck in the boonies with a destroyed sidewall with no cell coverage. Can't imagine why, that's only happened to us 3 or 4 times. [edit - apparently a space saver tire is available as an accessory for the Soul. Stupid expensive - $200, even if you find one from an older Soul on eBay and at used tires shops. So it's back on the table. :p]

We also sat in a Jetta Sportwagen and had a fun chat with the salesperson there. It's got the cubes, but it's like our Outback, the space is long but not high enough for what we think we'd prefer. Sure would be easy getting stuff on the roof though.

So, today's favorite and leading candidate is the Escape, but I told my wife to research the My Touch. At least it has dual climate controls and those are real buttons.

Have to say that the process is so much less painful than 15 years ago. Only heard "what can we do to sell you a car today" one time. There were a couple of "green peas" who seemed a bit lost, but overall the salespeople were knowledgeable and not pushy and free with the numbers.

Steve, Hyunkia does that on all their smaller cars at least (not sure about Sonata and Santa Fe). The tire is an option, but that price also includes the jack parts. I wouldn't feel comfortable with runflats, and no way in heck am I driving with just a can of fix a flat and a weak pump backing me up.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251

@Stever Don't think your bikes are going to fit inside an Escape. If you get the 2.0, you can get the towing package and use the rear receiver for a bike rack. We have a Sears XCargo box that fits well on the factory cross bars.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

That's pretty much going to be the case with most any of the rides we are looking at.

Found a snap of the used SuperBeetle I had in 1980.

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

Well, it's a ride, isn't it?

What is that gizmo over the top; is it some sort of anchoring mechanism?

Wakeboard setup?

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

My 1989 Cadillac Brougham

My 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance.

That Brougham is a classy old beast, yours is probably the best cared for in the country.

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

Current wheels: 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 dually, Cummins diesel

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251

@kcram Getting ready to pull that house somewhere?

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

I could, but then where would I live?

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    edited May 2014

2001 BMW 330Ci>

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

2000 BMW 528iA, now at 153K miles and still running strong.>

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

Nice!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thanks RB. You should let me know if you ever decide to sell that 2002A.

Will do!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I sort of forgot to add the 89 Cadillac Allante pic. The Bosch III brakes were it's demise, but still a good looking car. 2 tops and you had to bend down to fill the gas tank.

An engineer friend of mine worked at GM back when the Allante was new; he said that it just barely passed the applicable Federal crash standards. He said he wouldn't even let his wife ride in one...