Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Forums Software - Updates and Reporting Issues

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370

@Karen@Edmunds said:

Okay, what you need to do is place your cursor in the "Image Url" spot, right click and select paste, then add a space at the end.

Okay I got it to work, thanks for the help but what a convoluted process! I thought the Image URL went in the box that says "drop image/file". Apparently that box serves no purpose, sowhy not just excise it in favor of the space that say "image URL"?

As for adding a space on the end, how are ya supposed to know to do that?

The whole process used to a lot more user friendly [[non-permissible content removed] over]

'

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

It could be a bit more intuitive.

The drop box is so you can drag an image that lives on your computer over to the forums. No external hosting site needed, so that's a plus.

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101
    edited May 2014

You don't even need to click the file icon. Just drag an image from your desktop into the comment box. It's automatically uploaded. Not sure how it could be much easier!

Quick example...

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370

What's the deal on listing the cars you own on your sig? I've filled out the line for my profile but the info does not show up.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

edited May 2014

Try this - go to your Member Name on the right sidebar and click on the gear. Then select Edit Profile. There's an option there for Signature Settings.

Or click on your name in your post above. There's an Edit Profile selection under the "little head" dropdown arrow there (to the right of your member name). That'll take you to the same page where Signature Settings option lives.

Oh, the line you filled out in your Profile shows up when someone clicks on your name.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

Is there any way to remove a picture from a post I've made since it was uploaded using the Attach tool? It's far after the 4-hour edit period.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@imidazol97 said:
    Is there any way to remove a picture from a post I've made since it was uploaded using the Attach tool? It's far after the 4-hour edit period.

A host can edit indefinitely. Where is the post you want to remove the picture?

@imidazol97, I've been driving all day (6 hour road trip, four test drives) so I haven't caught up with the latest comments yet, but your Malibu is a good looking car. I'd leave the pic up.

I'd leave the pic up.

I think you're right.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147

I like it, too.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I sometimes answer one of the questions in the Unanswered groups. I note that if I answer the question leaves that group. Can there be some way to leave a question there until the poster marks it answered or a certain numbers of days has elapsed?

I gave an answer for what I suspect is an internal vacuum leak on a Dodge. But I don't feel that I gave a solid answer and someone with Dodge experience may know more. But the question left the group now so Dodge or someone with knowledge may not see that question about a whine from the engine.

One the other hand there's been a question about the size of crank bearings on a toyota in the group for weeks. There should be a way for unanswered questions to "time out."

@imidazol97 said:
    I sometimes answer one of the questions in the Unanswered groups. I note that if I answer the question leaves that group. Can there be some way to leave a question there until the poster marks it answered or a certain numbers of days has elapsed?

I gave an answer for what I suspect is an internal vacuum leak on a Dodge. But I don't feel that I gave a solid answer and someone with Dodge experience may know more. But the question left the group now so Dodge or someone with knowledge may not see that question about a whine from the engine.

One the other hand there's been a question about the size of crank bearings on a toyota in the group for weeks. There should be a way for unanswered questions to "time out."

I'll check into it. One thing I can do is change that topic from a Question to a Discussion. That way it all "comments" being added and not "answers."

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    edited May 2014

@imidazol97 said:

Here's the one you answered. The other fast way to keep track of it is to bookmark it when you respond by activating the yellow star at the opening post.
    http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/18187/dodge/ram-pickup-1500/under-hood-noise-sounds-like-a-bad-alternator-bearing-but-its-not-dodge-ram-1500#latest

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    edited July 2014

Is there a way to make the "Prices Paid and Buying Experiences" subforum display its subjects in alphabetical order, as we could on the old forum software? I realize there are a lot of makes and models there, but search does not always return what I'm looking for. E.g., it's not clear whether one should search for "Ford F-150 Prices Paid" or "Ford F-series Prices Paid," but if they're in alphabetical order by make, it's easy to find. "2014 Ram prices paid" returns nothing relevant other than a lease discussion.

Very difficult to navigate when the topics are shown in order of most recent activity.

edited July 2014

That'd be nice but we haven't figured out how to do something like that. You can go to the Car Forums link up top and Browse Forums by Make/Model but the default sort is by recent activity.

For example - Ford F-150, Ram 1500.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

All of a sudden the Forums site has stopped "remembering" me so I have to log in every time. Anyone else having this problem?

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited August 2014

Haven't heard anything - try clearing your browser cache or reboot your computer.

Anyone else?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440

I started having the problem recently on my iPad.

But also on another site they never used to log me out. PC is fine, so I think it is an iPad issue for me,

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I discovered the problem. There's a little bar at the bottom of the ipad marked Private. If you hit it inadvertently it locks password-pages. Un click it and passwords are "remembered" again.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Heh, that's one my wife has never heard of (she's on her second iPad). Thanks for the tip.

@suydam said:
    I discovered the problem. There's a little bar at the bottom of the ipad marked Private. If you hit it inadvertently it locks password-pages. Un click it and passwords are "remembered" again.

I actually found an dun clicked that. Maybe I need to do it on every site?

It just has to be unclicked on one I think. I've had my ipad for 5 years and never seen this before!

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

@suydam said:
    It just has to be unclicked on one I think. I've had my ipad for 5 years and never seen this before!

Okay, you made me look. I have a 1st gen Ipad and I'm not seeing this "Private" button.

I have ipad 2.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited August 2014

It's not on the browser itself, but Safari can be set to private in iPad 1's settings. It turns the tabs an ugly black so you'd notice it if it was set.

@Karen_CM said:
    Okay, you made me look. I have a 1st gen Ipad and I'm not seeing this "Private" button.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

after I turned off Private, I rebooted the ipad, and it seems to have cured the problem. Big pain having to remember, and reenter, PWs all the time!

@Claires said:
    It's not on the browser itself, but Safari can be set to private in iPad 1's settings. It turns the tabs an ugly black so you'd notice it if it was set.

Thanks for the tip!

Karen_CM said:

@Claires said:

Thanks for the tip!

Just checking. We may have fixed the annoying quote issue.

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

@Claires said:

Thanks for the tip!

And checking again.

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

@Claires said:

Thanks for the tip!

And checking again.

ONE MORE TIME!!!!!
    Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

@Claires said:

Thanks for the tip!

And checking again.

ONE MORE TIME!!!!!

Would appreciate everyone's thoughts about this.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

@Claires said:

Thanks for the tip!

And checking again.

ONE MORE TIME!!!!!

Appears to work

edited September 2014
    ray80 said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

Karen_CM said:

@Claires said:

Thanks for the tip!

And checking again.

ONE MORE TIME!!!!!
    Appears to work

Testing "deep" nesting.
    [Hm, you'd think "Appears to work" would have stayed in the quote box. Still an improvement]
    edited November 2014
    I'm having error messages on my Win XP laptop and am not able to log into the forums for long periods and then I may be able to get in with one of the browsers.

In Firefox I get Http status 500 - an exception occurred processing JSP page/global/redesign_head_part2.jsp at line 3 and a page full of Apache error text. Other times I use the Forums pulldown on Edmunds.com and get a big Whoops!, your sso timed out during the request.

In IE8 I get the howdy stranger page but get a normal page with a message saying we're having difficulty please come back later. And then later I am able to sign in to my bookmarked pages.

If I use my Win 7 laptop, everything is fine.

@Ray80 had issues Saturday but they were short-lived and we had no other reports. Then it happened to me Sunday, and we were finally able to reproduce it. A ticket has been submitted.

XP eh? Living dangerously. :)
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    stever said:

@Ray80 had issues Saturday but they were short-lived and we had no other reports. Then it happened to me Sunday, and we were finally able to reproduce it. A ticket has been submitted.

XP eh? Living dangerously. :)

Yes I did see login issues that (unbeknownest to Steve and others) repeated after the first occurrance somewhat later in the day.

And yes indeed on the XP thing, Somehow or other I managed really break my 2 XP machines shortly before support ended. They were pretty old anyway so both have been replaced.
    I have a heavy old spare laptop around here I keep meaning to put Windows 10 beta on but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe that'll break it and I can dump it. B)
    Hello Edmunds Forums Members!

Early next week, you will see a few changes in the Forums. There will be an ad placement after every 5th comment posted within discussions. And to reduce the ad clutter at the top of the page, those static ads will be going away. Plus, the side rail navigation will be rearranged a bit that should be helpful with navigating the forums.

If you have any questions, please post them here or you can send personal message by clicking on my screen name.

Thanks for your continued participation and support!
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Anyone else use the Chrome browser on iOS? I'm getting what appears to be a very old-school mobile site on my iPhone 6s, but everything looks normal on my iPad mini 2. Here are screenshots from the iPhone:

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,144
    corvette said:

Anyone else use the Chrome browser on iOS? I'm getting what appears to be a very old-school mobile site on my iPhone 6s, but everything looks normal on my iPad mini 2. Here are screenshots from the iPhone:

I'm seeing this on my iPhone as well, using the Safari browser.

I believe the home office is looking into it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Why all of a sudden is it taking at least 3 steps to sign in, including a stop at the Howdy Stranger page, when nothing with me has changed? This is sure annoying. Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Are you still having the issue? I see that you have an Insider acct and went through the "merge" back in August, so you may simply have hit some temporary glitch. I've gotten signed out for no apparent reason before, but once I was signed back in, things are normal.
    PF_Flyer said:

Are you still having the issue? I see that you have an Insider acct and went through the "merge" back in August, so you may simply have hit some temporary glitch. I've gotten signed out for no apparent reason before, but once I was signed back in, things are normal.

Same thing is still happening as of two minutes ago.

edited December 2018
    Easiest way to get in is to load the "recent discussions" page https://forums.edmunds.com/discussions, and then click the "sign in/register" button on the right-hand side. The new system does have different password requirements than the old system (which was horribly insecure), but this sounds like something else may be going on.

Please let me know if you experience any more issues. There are a couple of minor bugs that we're having Vanilla fix right now, so it's possible you happened to click into one of those.

It feels like something is "kicking you out", correct? Just like tracking down a car problem, the more details, the better!
    Thanks! I’ll let you know if the same problem recurrs.
  • vanillalincvanillalinc Member Posts: 1

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    When do we expect picture hosting to be back? Right now you can only post from URL, so if you don't have a Photobucket, etc you can't post pictures.

I'm seeing this on Safari on IOS 12 (Ipad/Iphone) and Google Chrome on Win10

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@tjc78 Still a work in progress. I'd LOVE to be able to give you a firm date, but I don't have one.

We really appreciate the feedback on what you're all seeing, and the folks who are the actual "mechanics" tell me that all the information, however small, is useful.

Is there a ticket in for the system reporting your own post as new?

For example I just posted in C&C and it shows as new.