Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Timing Chain

fluffluf Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Saturn

I lined up all the colored links on the chain with the notches on the gears perfectly, the gears were all in the correct position also. Everything was done, then I rotated the crank by hand, and now the notches don't line up with the colored links. Is this normal ? does it have to go around a certain amount of times before they line up again?

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Which Saturn do you have? Year?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

the TopDeadCenter "position" is reached on each turn of the crankshaft - however the TDC for engine timing purposes is only reached every other crankshaft rotation. (Four-cycle engine). TDC occurs at the end of the compression stroke of a piston when it has reached the top of the cylinder bore and is ready for the spark plug to fire.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited May 2014

@fluf said:
    I lined up all the colored links on the chain with the notches on the gears perfectly, the gears were all in the correct position also. Everything was done, then I rotated the crank by hand, and now the notches don't line up with the colored links. Is this normal ? does it have to go around a certain amount of times before they line up again?

I don't know what size engine you have nor the year. But a lot of Saturns are 2.2L. I found this in another place on the net from years ago. It sounds like getting the colored links and notches lined up right is complex. Note that it has pictures at the bottom that you can print off to study step-by-step as you read.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2006-saturn-astra-timeing-problem

I'm going to look into my 2008 Cobalt's factory service manual to see what it says. But the folks here need to know your year and model to help more.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,