Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Check Engine Light

13»

Comments

• Options
    tom154tom154 Member Posts: 8
    I have been getting a little shimmy on my 03 Highlander 140,000 miles. At first I thought it was the transmission. I took it to Toyota and they said that its the Rear U-joint on front drive shaft binding. When I looked under the car I didnt feel any play on any of the drive shafts. Toyota wants $1800 to change it out (Tough Call). Could it just be out of balance? How do I have that checked or is there something else I should look for?.
  • Options
    phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2011
    There IS a hose that can be easily disconnected when checking/changing the air filter. It is a hose directly connected to the charcoal canister. It WILL set the CE/VSC light within a few days if it becomes disconnected.

After some mice ate a few wires and those lights came on, I assumed the 'norm'. Much troubleshooting and learning later, apparently the critters must've shorted a computer circuit.

So now... I can't pass smog with the CE light on. I worked on it for a year (before my next smog test) with no luck. Sometimes the CE light would be off for awhile and I'd think the problem was fixed. Sometimes not, and I'd begin the next step and pulling my limited hair out.

I replaced the charcoal canister, some solanoids, other stuff... sometimes the light would stay out, but eventually it'd come back on.

THEN I connected with a mechanic that understood the "system".

The computer runs a test on the evap system at startup. But it doesn't run the test "IF" the fuel tank is more than 3/4 full ( and the computer has been reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes). It isn't supposed to run the test if the fuel is below 1/4 AND the engine is warm.

My evap system has been mostly replaced, and the rest verified to be working correctly. But the test fails. To me, the mice must've shorted out a circuit in the computer than controls this test.

So to pass the CA smog test, I gotta fill the tank, disconnect/reconnect the battery, then get my test before the tank goes below 3/4.

Maybe this'll help someone with the same problem.

Phil
  • Options
    blazingtartanblazingtartan Member Posts: 1
    If tightening the gas cap doesn't get rid of the CEL, there's no need to disconnect the battery to reset it. Just locate the "EFI" fuse and remove it for 30 seconds.
  • Options
    gwyniesmomgwyniesmom Member Posts: 1
    Just had an O2 sensor replaced several weeks ago because of Check Engine light coming on and it just came on again. Read this post and it worked!!! Am so excited - thanks for the information.
  • Options
    riversmilesriversmiles Member Posts: 1
    In the owners manual for the 2004 Highlander, it says when the check engine light comes on, change the oil. It comes on around every 3500 miles.
  • Options
    fotoguy4ufotoguy4u Member Posts: 3
    You can go in to most auto parts stores and they will do a diagnostic check for free. My check engine light was on, so I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and they hooked their gadget into my computer and said it was a bad thermostat - same answer I got from a state inspection. Easy and free - can't beat that!
  • Options
    hsamihsami Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 HL. My CEL went on yesterday, and by reading previous posts seems like the most common problem is the O2 sensor.

Assuming there is a problem with oxygen sensor, I wonder what would be the consequences of not replacing it for a while (~couple of weeks).
  • Options
    johnnybhai1johnnybhai1 Member Posts: 2

I couldn't find a post number in the Maintenance and Repair Forum. How do I get to Post 4360 and 4362?

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

When we migrated to the new platform, we lost the post numbers, I'm afraid..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2014

There's 20 posts per page (currently, at least). So divide 4360 by 20 and you wind up at "page" 218. The posts you are searching should be on that page, or within a page. Perhaps this is close to the ones you are looking for?

• Options
    johnnybhai1johnnybhai1 Member Posts: 2

Thank you Moderators for those two responses, it was pretty close....213 had the posts I was looking for.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Ok, within a page or five. ;) Glad you found it.

• Options
    mike_jaxmike_jax Member Posts: 1

Can anyone tell me how that they were able to get to page 213? I am only seeing 6 pages.
    Thx

• Options

I think this is the post you're searching for, but it refers to using a borrowed scanned to clear the code. Maybe try some more auto parts stores to see if someone will clear the codes for free..