Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 vs MB M Class vs Acura MDX vs Lexus RX 350 vs BMW X5 vs Cadillac SRX

Comments

• lalakrsfanlalakrsfan Member Posts: 44
    Noticed that the QX4 was missing from you consideration list. I am close to making my final decision between the MDX and the QX4, and I have a offer from the local dealer that expires tomorrow for $300 under invoice on a 39 months lease.

Curious as to why you aren't considering the QX4, or if you did, why it is not in the running. Would like to hear anything positive/negative from anyone else as well.
    Thanks!
  • flytogolfflytogolf Member Posts: 5
    Lakers Fan - I didn't consider the QX4, possibly a mistake on my part, but I'm too far down a different path now. The QX4 is a very good choice - high reliability and I heard more HP this year (240), which should help the responsiveness. I never drove the QX4, so I can't really comment about it, but I did drive the MDX and found it to be a decent challenger to the X5. However, the MDX lacked an electronic skid control safety feature that we really liked in the X5. Most importantly, the driving experience is totally different with an X5 compared to the MDX (and I would presume a QX4, although who am I to talk if I never drove it?!). Anyway, the X5 seemed to be a "wolf in sheep's clothing", and I liked that....a lot. I already own a large SUV so I didn't want to duplicate that "feel". I think the X5 is exactly what I'm after....and the QX4 or MDX are exactly what you're looking for. My final comment: I'm sure you've done enough background reading and research until you're dizzy. Both SUVs you mentioned are really nice choices. My humble advice: go with YOUR instincts, "pull the trigger" and don't look back. Enjoy.
  • sjbettesjbette Member Posts: 11
    i found your discussions very helpful. i am also an sav/suv seeker and am about to make a decision real soon. i have test drove an X5 3.0 and liked it a lot. i tried the MDX but the dash and interior feel too much like a honda. i am curious about the knocking the 3k off the msrp. was it a fairly good experience or was it an arm wrestling? also, please tell me more about the 1k rebate from joining thc club, thanks.
  • flytogolfflytogolf Member Posts: 5
    Rick - i would also like to get any details on the $1K rebate from the BMW club. Not sure I went to the appropriate website. Any assistance would be appreciated!
    sjbette - here are my recent experiences on the "negotiation front". We originally pursued one of those "no-haggle" discounts from a club (AAA, Cosco, etc.). This discount is a paltry $1K for the 3.0 and an insulting $500 for the 4.4.
    In retrospect, I don't think I would do this again since it creates a no-haggle expectation on their part. When I attempted to negotiate MORE (yesterday), the response was "it wouldn't be fair to my other discount customers since they just accept the price". (Good point / fair point)
    Still, I thought there was more wiggle room. After a 30-minute no-holds-barred session I negotiated an additional $500 off the MSRP. Simply not worth it!
    Although I'm now in the "consideration stage", I think I'll try another dealer in the area and start over (W/O the discount restriction).
    Other "facts" I learned from the last two days (take these with a GOS (grain of salt):
    1) As of Jan. 30, 90% of the 2002 X5 allocation has already been spoken for. (dealer said this)
    2) February's production order has already been filled and March's orders will be filled in the next 3 to 4 days. This means waiting to have the car MADE in March (delivered in mid-April)...and that's if you jump on this in the next few days, otherwise you may be waiting an additional month!!
    (dealer said this)
    3) An additional wait for the 2003 models does not seem so far-fetched right now.

Hope you have better luck than me!
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    I believe you have to be a member of BMWCCA for at least 1 year on the date of purchase to qualify.

I heard from people at bimmer.org message board that 4.4i is a little harder to get due to limited production of 4.4i cause the new range-rovers are using them also I think the 4.4i is being phased out cause of the new 4.5L V8. So the discount on 4.4i is less than 3.0i.
    If your area is supported by many BMW dealers just keep on shopping. I got around $1789 off with some goddies thrown in back in December when I pickup my 4.4i.
    Hope this helps.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    That BMW dealer is referring to it's particular allocation of X5's, each dealer will be different. I'd check with other dealers, even in other states - I had to go to Flow BMW in North Carolina to get a 2000 Estoril Blue M Coupe a little over a year ago. They had exactly what I was looking for and I got an increadable deal.
  • cisco4440cisco4440 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have any info regarding Performance Center Delivery for the '02 X5? Is there additional discounts given for picking up the car in S.C.? or is it just the free tour and airport pickup.

Please help...
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    For a light Off-road Event in NJ.

http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• mjtianmjtian Member Posts: 48
    I first test drove the Acura MDX in October of 2001. I placed an order with them that day and it has been almost 4 months and I am still driving my Camry. Oh yeah, there was no room for negotiations I was pretty much forced to agree with the MSRP + $350 for the 2002 model.

Because I wanted a reliable vehicle along with not wanting to spend over $40K, my search was limited. I ignored the RX300 because it is too ugly and pretty much a jacked up Camry and it costs more than the MDX. I thought the Toyota Highlander might be a good cheap substitute, but the Toyota dealer insisted on the $35K asking price. I looked at the Infinity QX4 and the Mercedes ML 300, they both looked too boxy for me. Also the reliability issue with the MB is questionable. My friend has had numerous problems with her ML 300 and it only has 15K miles!! The BMW also has a poor reliability record according to the Consumer Reports. So I am left with the MDX.

Unfortunately I am still waiting. Although the dealer did called me twice; once for a 2001 MDX and the other time for a different color. But overall, I think its worth the wait. Even paying at MSRP it is still cheaper than the $40K Rx 300, the $42K BMW X5, the $38K MB with compariable options. The MDX is loaded with standard features. It drives and handles very well. I hope the cabin noise is minimized with the thicker windows in the 2002 model. I guess if you don't mind the wait the MDX is right for you.
  • pvr10pvr10 Member Posts: 3
    I have had the a problem just recently with the mdx. The dealer took my order and said he will call me when it came in, around may, if i did not want it he would just sell to some else. My price though 39k and change with the touring package (2000 dealer mark up over msrp, no neg). I just leased the lexus rx for alot less. 500 under msrp with a discount - 37,500 with premium plus package. Spending that much on the Acura when I could get the lexus for about $100 dollars less a month and i will have the car in 1-2 weeks.
    For an after thought, I agree with you on the toy highlander. Price 35k and no even close to the ride of the other suv's I test drove.(mb,bmw,lexus,mdx and qx4).
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    There do seem to be some very good deals on the RX300, if you decide that is your cup of tea, especially on the east coast (if I'm to believe what I've been reading in the RX300 forum).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• cisco4440cisco4440 Member Posts: 10
    Why would you ever buy at MSRP or pay a markup for a car? Remember 2 years ago, no one can touch the RX300 less than MSRP. Now there are deals everywhere for it. I was quoted 35,600 for a fully loaded 2002 black/black RX300.

Will having this Acura make you feel superior, knowing you're first to have it. How would it feel driving up next to a BMW X5, realizing those drivers know you had to pay full sticker and more.

Unless you're Bill Gates, shop around. The money you save can buy you those after market accessories. I'm not knocking any Make, but just be smart in your buying decisions.
  • beverlypbeverlyp Member Posts: 5
    important information about an engine problem that one should aware of if they are shopping or own a Lexus RX300.

http://autonet.ca/AutonetStories/stories.cfm?storyID=4487

• beverlypbeverlyp Member Posts: 5
    Here is a link to how Lexus treats their customers with thios engine problem:

http://www.womanmotorist.com/ftrs/carlaw-v10-01.shtml
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    Well, ironic that the arguably "the most reliable carmakers in the universe" got killed by their own doing. People may think these RX300 V6 engine, since it made by Toyota will run forever even with less than optimum maintenance. Well as you guys been hearing here in Edmunds (other threats ofcourse) on engine sludge that plague RX300/Camry/Siena, those engines just won't run pass 60000!. Now, 3.3million engines recall? that will cost Toyota some pocket changes for sure.
    You know the phrase, pay now or pay later. Do your oil change regularly regradless if it's a jguar or Toyota folks.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Who said anything about a recall?
    Does anyone have any info about the latest X5 3.0 prices in Northern California? How was your shopping expereience? I would appreciate any useful info.
  • hellohahelloha Member Posts: 1
    Does any one considering 2002 X5 and ML320.
    The review said MB fixed the poor built quality issue with new 2002 model, and the dealer in NJ is asking 1200 over the Invoice (which is almost 3k less than the MSRP).
    BMW dealer told me that there is 5-6 weeks waiting period for X5, and they are not selling it a dime below the MSRP, which makes X5 5k more than the ML320 model with similar configuration.
    But the Quality Issue of old ML320 really bugs me.
    Can anyone advise on this one?
  • tso2001tso2001 Member Posts: 11
    I've been scoping this & other sites for quite awhile now trying to decide which SUV to get among these 4 guys (MDX,ML,X5 & RX). After driving these, some for long weekend trips, thanks to my mom's 2002 RX, & sister's 2002 ML, I found that RX is too isolated, has turning radius of a UHaul moving truck, not thrilled w/ its center consol. ML is solid but don't like the minivan look. X5 drives the best, like a sports car w/ all that sequential shifting & stuff, unfortunately has the interior size of a car & cargo space less than that of a car. Was very impressed with MDX's overall capabilities & characteristics, so I ordered one. Thanks for your inputs.
  • gotothelightgotothelight Member Posts: 31
    You have chosen well tso2001. As an MDX owner let me assure you that you will not be sorry. A site you might like to check out is the acuramdx.org I found tons of useful information relating to the MDX. After delivery, post your numbers (price paid) and options chosen on the Edmunds MDX site so others can benefit from your experience. How long is your wait for delivery?
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    is solid but don't like the minivan look

If the "minivan look" kept you out of Benz, why'd you find it acceptable with the MDX? Every review I read mentioned the MDX's mini-van look (the MB actually looks more like a milk truck, not a minivan) and I thought the same thing when I drove it. You do know the MDX is a Honda minivan underneath, right? Sure you wouldn't be just as happy with the (MDX clone and) lower-priced Honda Pilot when it rolls out in a few months?

Regardless, it's a nice vehicle and you should be happy with it.
  • tso2001tso2001 Member Posts: 11
    thanks, gotothelight, here in PHX it takes 1.5 to 2 months @ MSRP. greenlatern, ML looks too much like an extra large Kia Sportage, IMHO, too much roundness. My sister's ML even has the AMG sport package but that still didn't convince me. I feel comfortable in MDX, like the view from inside, the sharp edges outside, roominess, handling... all these litte things outweight the others. Cost is irrelivant to me since they're all in the same price range. I can tell you that if X5 were larger, it would have been my choice.
    I have been talking to some people about BMW and Mercedes SUV's. I am puzzled with the fact that someone can get an ML500 with approx. $800 above invoice, while they have to pay almost full MSRP for the X5(the best i heard in the SF bayarea is $1000 off MSRP) which is still about $3k above Invoice. Assuming this is demand vs. supply, is BMW X5 really that much more popular than the ML500? I have never driven the ML500 so maybe there are some signaficant performance difference between the two?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The ML is in its fifth model year, and supply has caught up with demand. MB has been offering late-model-year incentives on top of the up-from-invoice pricing. The X5 is still relatively new and in good demand.

You should drive the ML500, I think you'll like the performance. The V8 is quite powerful, certainly more so than the X5 3.0's V6. A well-equpped ML500 can be bought for under $50k which certainly compares favorably with the 8-cylinder X5.
    thanks for the info. i started looking for an upscale SUV not too long ago and that's the experience i have encountered. i visited a few BMW lots and I could hardly find any X5's. when I talked to the dealer, they said almost everything is ordered. This is quite a different scene from the MB lots where there are quite a bit of M classes to choose from. i wonder if they would increase the production of X5 to meet the popular demand in the near future.
  • jwagonerjwagoner Member Posts: 1
    I see a lot of messages with concerns about reliability. My X5 3.0 non-sport auto was delivered in May 2001. I have 19000 miles on it now. The only reliability issue has been with the aux. fan which was replaced twice. Since then, reliability has been 100%. The car is incredible. Performance is great and mileage locally is 18.5. Trips range between 22.5 and 24.5 with road speeds about 75-80 mph on the Interstates. Handling and comfort are tops. Best car I ever owned. Radio and overall sound system are tops. I have added the factory hitch and the BMW CD changer. The X5 hauls my boat better than the Ford Explorer I previously owned. (About 4000 lbs.)
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    I don't even consider the aux fan to be a "reliability issue" -- the actual probability of a failure was pretty low as I recall. Still, it was nice to let them have it for a day while I zipped around in the Z3 loaner.

The real problem isn't reliability (which IMO is "starts, goes, stops"), it's the minor nagging issues like peeling door handles, mooing steering columns, and strange key memory behavior. Fortunately the warranty covers everything and it's reflected in the new total cost of ownership calculator (showing $0s for maintenance & repair for the 1st 3 years).

IMO none of that takes away from the X5's amazing performance characteristics. Mine seemed to really break in after 5K miles -- torque curve feels extremely flat up to 6K rpms. I've taken to driving mine in steptronic manual mode as it gives me more control over engine power, but I always have the option of throwing it over to "D" and letting the software do the work. Pretty cool. I'm with you -- best vehicle I've ever had.

I imagine the X5's lack of cargo space keeps most potential buyers away, although the max payload of the X5 is higher than a lot of competitors with better volume characteristics. I suppose it all depends on whether you're hauling bars of gold or bags of marshmallows.
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    The minor issues are problems no matter you call it reliability or build quality. My colleague's X5 lemon was finally accepted by BMWUSA. And he couldn't believe when he was going to return the X5 this morning, it wouldn't even start. So he had to call the dealer again (hopefully the last time).

But yes all these won't take away its driving dynamics and my colleague is probably just out of luck. I'm still have my sight on the next 5er and E-class.
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    Don't forget that all MBs come with LIFETIME roadside assistance; not 50K miles or 5 years.
  • kojak2kojak2 Member Posts: 4
    I've owned a ML500 for the past 7 months. No quality issues, great engine, good ride, rock solid feel. I dont like the 3rd row seats, even though with lots of little brats around I've used them regularly. Would have preferred a permanent arrangement but they would have had to lengthen the chassis. As far as looking like a minivan, forget about it. This is definitely not a minivan and has a commanding view of the road. This is my third Benz, having owned a E55, E320 and this truck, so I am probably a little prejudiced.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    i own a 98 ml320 -- looks like you had one before. Is there much difference between the old and the new?? (I know your 500 will have much more juice, but i mean separate from that)

thx.
  • kojak2kojak2 Member Posts: 4
    My brother has a 1999 ml 430. I am not familiar with the ml 320. There is quite a bit of difference in the mechanicals and controls. The body shape is probably the only thing they have not changed in the past 3 years.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please note the new addition in the title and compare accordingly - thanks!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • maransmmaransm Member Posts: 29
    I've been spending lot of time to check out and test drive and I did most of the SUVs and my final list is MDX and ML320. I did like X5, but my budget is just about 40K.

I am planning to buy a new 2003 either MDX or ML320. Could someone please tell me which is the best between these 2,considering all aspect like safety, reliability and resale value?

Thanks in advance.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The new RX300 should be available in Spring 2003.

It's rumored to be just a tad bigger, have a 3.5L V-6 and 2 extra seats.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=28993
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    or RX330...

ML320 wins every time, hands down.

MDX is missing HID and VSC, but it's AWD system is better then the RX.
    I think the ML320 has an edge in safety over the MDX, though I think the MDX is, overall, a very safe SUV. The MDX actually slightly edges the ML320 in a number of crash tests, but the ML320 is better in more areas (more capable 4WD, ESP, BrakeAssist, available bi-xenons, rear side airbags, side curtains, etc.). So I think the ML320 wins here.

The MDX has an edge in build quality. The first year was above average according to Consumer Reports and JD Power, while the ML320 still struggles to achieve just "average" in its fifth model year. That said, the ML320's quality has come a long way and odds are you'll be fine.

For resale value, it's hard to gauge, but right now the MDX is ahead. Check www.kbb.com. The resale values of the MDX may not stay high in the long-term, but the same holds true for the ML320 (e.g. it is being replaced in about two years with a new generation, plus supposedly this year or next there will be an ML350 that will replace the ML320).

There are a lot of other attributes positive and negative about the vehicles, but I just wanted to attempt to answer your specific questions.

Also, you may want to consider the new Volvo XC90. A fairly well-equipped one should sell for about $41k. For safety, while its AWD system may not be quite as capable as the ML's and it won't have rear side airbags, it should exceed the current-generation ML320 in some areas. Quality is a question mark. Don't know about resale value.
    Like the RX and HL, is predominantly FWD.

Can become extremely unsafe at the "edge", that.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    But who actually takes their 40K luxo-SUV to the edge?
    By that I meant the point at which both front wheels have just lost, or are about to lose traction with the roadbed.

In other words the point at which you wish you weren't relying on ONLY the front tires' contact patch for BOTH lateral and logitudinal "control".
    Thanks wmquan for the detailed descriptions..

I happend to see the pics of new, redesigned 2003 Toyota 4 Runner and it looks greattt!!! I was wondering if I can even compare 4 Runner with MDX and ML320? If so, what would be the difference and which one would be a good choice!

My Mercedes dealer told me that now they have got 2003 ML320s, but 2003 ML350 would be available sometime in Dec. I dont know if I have to wait and if the wait is worth? He is ready to give 3K less than MSRP for 02 ML320s (38.5K with M1 package)

Now I am kind of confused to choose from ML350, MDX and 4 Runner !!! Someone please help me to choose one of these 3.
    It really comes down to identifying and organizing your priorities. E.g. how much do you care about off-road capability, do you want the "kitchen sink" in safety, do you want acceleration performance, how much do you value statistical quality numbers, how important is the luxury brand, how important is cargo room, passenger, room, etc. I've always felt that until you can outline which ones are your priorities, and then rank them, it's difficult to arrive at a few vehicles, and then make a choice.

The 2003 4Runner is a fairly different animal, but, on paper, a highly competent vehicle (at least!).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Is anyone researching the SRX in here? Spring '03 isn't all that far off....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • pitn1777pitn1777 Member Posts: 15
    Been reading about the MDX. My wife's second Grand Cherokee Limited lease is up in a couple of months.

After driving a number of different SUV's ( I have a Land Cruiser) we believe that the MDX is probably the best for the money. Drive's great, looks better (to us) than Lexus RX 300, etc..

I have a friend who is a GM at a Acura dealership so I can buy a MDX Touring for a great price (Invoice plus 200).

My wife is only considering a Jag S type or the MDX. I think the MDX will be a better vehicle in the long run.

Any last words of advice before I take the plunge?

Thanks.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Sorry I don't have a real advice. I have 00 RX300 and 02 QX4. I only sat in MDX for a few minutes with no test drive that's all. Your friend as a GM can help you with a great deal so price is not an issue, otherwise it's too expensive to me. The MDX interior looks cheaper than either RX300 or QX4. I believe when I slam shut the last door I saw the dome lamp bounced more than the other cars'(who cares, maybe). One MDX owner said he misses the cargo cover that can hide his laptop, etc. Otherwise, just from lots of readings, it's got to be a great car.
    Thanks again wmquan..

Followings are my priorities, in order,
    1. Safety
    2. Acceleration performance (no towing though)
    3. Quality
    4. Resale value
    5. Luxury Brand
    6. Off Road
    7. Cargo room and Passenger room

Since I live in Colorado, I would definitely like to go off road, but that is not a priority.

When I went for skiing last winter with my wife, my Ford Explorer lost control on the icy road (at 50MPH), my car slipped from the road, I applied break(human tendency), ABS locked the brakes and my car went and hit the shoulders. Luckily we didn't get hurt, but insurance has to replace both bumpers. This incident made us nervous and the safety issue became a mental block.

I definitely don't want that to happen again if I go for skiing this winter. Someone wrote that MDX is kind of car like driving, FWD and it does not have control if you apply brake by mistake. I was also told that ML320 would greatly perform in such situations.

Now, Could you suggest me which one would suit me fine in ML320, MDX or 4 Runner?

Thanks.
    Don't you really mean you allowed your Ford explorer to enter a skid? None of the vehicles you mention can overcome the laws of physics.

There is one you didn't mention that, while more expensive, is head and shoulders above the others when it comes to AWD performance, the X5.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Sorry for the major spam attack, but this one kinda sounds like fun...

A contact of ours is looking for a group of luxury SUV enthusiasts who would be willing to come to Irvine, CA August 24th from 9am to 3pm for a test drive, focus group and lunch. Participants will be compensated for their time. If you are interested in participating in this event, please send an email with your contact information as well as the model vehicle you drive to: chotti@earthlink.net.
    Thanks for your consideration!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    Buy the MDX!
    I have had one almost one year and love it. Just averaged 20 mpg for 2000 mile trip. MDX was smooth, comfortable, and engaging all the way.
    Let's take the top three ..

1. Safety

I think the best in your list of vehicles are the M-class and the upcoming XC90. The MDX is no slouch, however. It comes down to refining what you mean about safety -- do you want a vehicle that should be "very safe", or do you want a vehicle that is as safe as possible in the price range? If absolute safety is your top priority, I think the M-class and XC90 are in the next rung up the safety ladder. M-class offers an excellent true 4WD system, stability control, Brake Assist, a reinforced roof structure, available bi-xenons and numerous other touches. The MDX offers none of these. The XC90 offers a reinforced roof structure, available bi-xenons, stability control, roll stability control, whiplash protection, etc.

So I think that the MDX is a safe vehicle, but the XC90 and M-class are even safer. Based on the type of accident you're trying to avoid, frankly, I would recommend the M-class. The power-to-all-wheels-at-all-times should help you in severe road conditions, whereas the MDX and XC90 are both primarily FWD until slippage occurs. Then even if you do run into trouble, the stability control system should help pull you out of trouble (obviously it can't defy the laws of physics, though -- it is quite possible your skid was unavoidable no matter which vehicle you were driving).

I don't know enough about the new 4Runner to comment on this. It should do well, however, and better than the MDX in Colorado.

2. Acceleration performance (no towing though)

This makes it tougher. Frankly, I think the ML320 is sluggish. It's torquey but the vehicle has simply put on a lot of weight over the years. Its acceleration is "acceptable" for most driving but it definitely pales next to the MDX, which is noticeably faster at a number of powerbrands (standing start, merging from a ramp, or during highway passing). In fact, as far as pure acceleration goes, the MDX isn't far from the discontinued ML430.

Rumor has it that the 2003 MDX will get another 20 horses, don't know about torque. However, the ML350 with its 3.7 liter engine should address the acceleration issue (though at a cost of mileage).

I suspect that the 2.5T version of the XC90 will have somewhat leisurely, but at least acceptable, acceleration. The T6 should do great but that's more expensive.

I'd recommend you wait for the ML350 in this case. Not sure how the new 4Runner will accelerate.

3. Quality

Well, the MDX is going to be better than the XC90 and M-class here, period. But the M-class is finally nearing average quality, and, so long as you don't expect a higher level, you should be fine. It is very, very important that you find a good dealership that will support you. Some dealerships, MB or otherwise, aren't particularly good. I also might suggest an extended warranty.

Of the M-class, XC90, and MDX, I think that your needs might be best met by an ML350. BTW I own an MDX -- my priorities were, in no particular order, "very good" safety, ride comfort, cargo room, good acceleration, and better-than-average quality. The MDX happened to fit those priorities very well, so we bought it. I did, however, wrestle with the safety issue for the longest time and came very close to buying an ML320.

You haven't mentioned the X5. I think it's around the same level as the ML320 and XC90, though don't get the sports package if you're going to go on snow! I disagree with Willard, and think that the ML320's near-symmetric 4WD is better than the X5, but that's another can of worms I'm not going to get into. The X5 is at a disadvantage in some other areas, though. It uses sausage head protection airbags which, while excellent and at least available, are not as thorough as side curtains (but I wouldn't make a buying decision just based on this). Also, I have seen some bad photos of two X5 rollovers with plenty of crushing in the roof (to date, I've seen a number of M-class rollovers and only in one accident did the damage look really bad). I suspect the M-class and the XC90 are simply better than the X5 in this respect. The X5 does have good acceleration. Quality is probably behind the ML320 at this point, though it's probably significantly improved since introduction.

Cargo room is abysmal, even if BMW doesn't call it an SUV. but that might not be important for you.