Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tiny Manual-Shift Buttons - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2014 in Ram
imageTiny Manual-Shift Buttons - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds thinks the manual-shift buttons for the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel's eight-speed automatic transmission are too small to find quickly, or when wearing gloves.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156

It's an obvious cost-cutting decision by C-F. Buttons are cheaper to integrate in the steering wheel as opposed to the more complicated set up of paddle shifters.

• Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188

i dont see Edmund's testers fascination with engine braking the automatic cars. only time i bother using the manual function in automatic cars (that arent sports cars that will benefit from full manual control) is when a really long curve is coming up and i want to hold a gear through the turn.

• Options
    trmckintrmckin Member Posts: 10

These buttons serve plenty of functions in an Auto setup on a truck. Great for controlling speed and avoiding the brake pedal in icy/snowy/hilly conditions. Great for keeping truck in the power band while towing a heavy trailer. Good in off road conditions as well.

• Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365

Hard to say for sure but it looks like if you have shorter fingers or just smaller hands overall you wouldn't be able to downshift without moving your hand almost off of the steering wheel.

• Options
    bazjeepersbazjeepers Member Posts: 5

Not really. The paddle shifter steering wheel from the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 8-speed would fit really well in the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

• Options
    dieseleddieseled Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014

What kinda sucks with that button setup is that for full turns in a corner, your buttons will be out of place when you want a downshift so you have to wait for the steering wheel to turn straight, vs. a center counsel which is more accessible anytime when driving, especially in twisty roads.