Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser A/C problem

jakemoody82jakemoody82 Member Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in Chrysler
My A/C is not cold at all. I've tried charging it but its not helping. The compressor is switching on and off on and off causing the engine to shutter while idling. When I increase RPM's the compressor will vent Freon. It won't do this while driving down the road. It just does it while sitting still at idle. Any suggestions before I get raped at the dealer?????

Best Answer

Answers

• jakemoody82jakemoody82 Member Posts: 5
    I forgot to mention its an 08 PT Cruiser non-turbo.
  • 08cruiserhelp08cruiserhelp Member Posts: 1

what was the problem i have the same issue same car same year please help

I haven't got an answer yet. I just posted this a few days ago. I'll let you know as soon as I get a solid answer
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Get rid of the car; it's a lemon.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I believe it. I've had several problems with this car.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

You have either too much refrigerant or a blockage in the system, (and possibly inoperative cooling fan) so you'll have to go to an AC tech to figure out which. If the AC compressor is venting, you'll probably need a new relief valve too.

I know that the refrigerant is not too high by my gauges. I was just downtown and the car ran hot! It peaked out so I put it in the wind and it went back to normal operating temperature. I'm gonna check the cooling fan. I read that someone else was having similar issues. Thanks!!!! I'll give an update soon.....
  • mmsefcovicmmsefcovic Member Posts: 1

My A/C is not cold at all. I've tried charging it but its not helping. The compressor is switching on and off on and off causing the engine to shutter while idling. When I increase RPM's the compressor will vent Freon. It won't do this while driving down the road. It just does it while sitting still at idle. Any suggestions before I get raped at the dealer?????

My car is doing the exact same thing... ever find out what the problem is??