Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which years of Toyota RAV4s have large hidden compartment?

stever20stever20 Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Toyota
I'm looking at recent model Rav4's, anywhere in the range of 2008-2013. One of the things I like about Rav4 is the hidden compartment in the trunk where the spare goes on other models since I live in the city and people sometimes break into cars if they see anything exposed.

Of course, I'm referring to the rather large hidden compartment that I've seen in some Rav4's which could hold a small backpack, etc., under the floor.

Question: Which year Rav4's have the hidden compartment, and which models?

Thank you,
SR

Comments

• stever23stever23 Member Posts: 1

Hi all. Bumping this again to see if anyone knows which years have the great hidden compartment?

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Hey Stever. ;)

Kind of a tough question.

So, the well gets filled up with the spare in the 2013 models.

For models between '08 and '13, it looks like all of the five seaters offer the wheel well storage. Add the third row seats and they disappear into the space where the storage compartment is on the 5 seaters.

I can't tell if the style matters - for example, it looks like the '08 base and Limited models have the well unless you get the optional third row. I think the '08 Sport only comes in the 5 passenger flavor so it should have the well. Jump ahead to the 2012 models and only the Limited offers the optional third row. And then there's the runflat version with a different rear door. Who knows if that one has the storage.

Long story short, I don't know. :'(

Anyone?

• rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2014

@stever20 said:
    I'm looking at recent model Rav4's, anywhere in the range of 2008-2013. One of the things I like about Rav4 is the hidden compartment in the trunk where the spare goes on other models since I live in the city and people sometimes break into cars if they see anything exposed.

Of course, I'm referring to the rather large hidden compartment that I've seen in some Rav4's which could hold a small backpack, etc., under the floor.

Question: Which year Rav4's have the hidden compartment, and which models?

Thank you,
    SR

I have a five passenger 2007 that has the hidden compartment you are talking about. That compartment may be available through 2012 on vehicles that have the big, useless spare tire mounted on the door. I assume that space would be taken by the spare doughnut on the years after that but I'm not 100% sure.

• junebug1701junebug1701 Member Posts: 31
    The underfloor storage compartment in the cargo area is on every RAV4 from 2006-2012, EXCEPT for those few with 3rd row seats.