Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• alicejapanalicejapan Member Posts: 2

Hello to everyone. I used this forum thread to get an idea what a fair price for a LX 2WD to help family members get a decent deal. On March 15th I was quoted 21,900 sales price at Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos CA. I was able to get them to drop another $200 and we arrived at 21,700 sales price. There were no add-ons , doc fee of $80 and e-registration fee of $29 which is not a government charge. Since I had only looked at the total sale price, I though everything was perfect. There was no mention of flex cash used to arrive at that price from sales or finance but after everything was signed and my cousin said the sales price was different on first line on contract and not what quoted. I looked through all the items and notice the bumped up the price $450 which increased the sales tax $45.

They added flex cash at the bottom of $500. Yes, my grave mistake for not catching that before they signed. Once the salesman delivered the car, I brought it up and said he thought the finance person would tell us that even though I brought up the fact that there was no mention of incentives used to arrive at sales price. I sent and e-mail to the customer relations person and explained how flex cash is used and did say there was communication issue. I asked them to give us an accessory as a gesture of good will and they did.

Now, to a purchase made on May 8. I gave Cerritos another shot since the drive there is 5 minutes. I walked in and was referred to a person from the internet sales team because the person I deal with was off. I was quoted $21,265 for the same model CR-V LX 2WD but did not have the color in stock and the salesman did not even mention of trying to get the color from somewhere. This time, I used Edmunds to mail 2 other dealers, Buena Park Honda and another in Irvine and within minutes, had quotes mailed and even 2 phone calls at the same time. Buena Park quoted for about $200 more than Cerritos but they said they would match and even beat their price. I told them I would get back to them after talking to my aunt to see if she was comfortable with that price.

Longest story not made short, Norm Reeves gave me a final sales price of $20,975 and they would get the color model from another dealer. Was driving on my way to Cerritos when the Buena Park GM called. Told them I was on my to Cerritos with an offer. He told me that they would beat their price by a hundred and they had the car in stock. They gave us the CR-V with a sales price of $20,875. Fees were $80 doc fee, $20.50 e-filing fee (not government fee). California DMV fees were $250.75. There were no customer incentives but there is a $500 dealer incentive. Total price of $22,896.25 with 8% sales tax included. I hope this helps those in the So-Cal area.

• 4hawkeyes4hawkeyes Member Posts: 2

2014 CR-V EX-L AWD - Northern Virginia Hendrick Honda

• OTD $26,700 (price breakdown below)

• MSRP - $29,775

• Invoice - $28,000
    • Vehicle Price - $25,568 (includes $500 Honda Financing Incentive)
    • VA Tax - $1043
    • On Line Fee + TTL - $90
    • Dealer Processing - $499
    • Honda Military Incentive - ($500)
  • retrololretrolol Member Posts: 1

Been lurking and wondering. Brian, in an older post you said to raise ur asking price to offset the dealer doc fee. I would think that u would lower ur asking price, I.e. offer less$$. I must be missing something here. I must be confusing asking with selling price> @brian125 said:

I would be shooting for 800 to 1100 below dealers invoice price plus finding dealers giving the 750 flex cash and if there is the market cash of 500... take that to./ Start your target price on the higher end number and work down making your berst deal the last 2 days, last day of any month..

Below is a earlier post i posted.. It may help you get started. Once you do your homework you need to figure out a target price. Your area could be only 800 to as high as1200 below invoice price , excluding any incentives and rebates. Below is how you go about getting the best possible price

.....................................Cont........................

Thanks for ur response. I've read most of ur strategy and understand all that and it is great info. Thanks for all ur time. But I'm still confused by starting my price on the higher end and work down. To me that says"meet my price of----say 28k and hope to end at 27.5. I thought to negotiate you started low and countered slightly higher. Sorry, I am a Lol (little old lady) and may be looking at this the wrong way. At any rate ur strategies will come in handy. Thanks

• rolaurrolaur Member Posts: 5

Brian,

Was wondering if you could give me an idea of target price for a CRV EXL w/Nav in the Sarasota, FL area. Have an OTD from one dealer for $28,192. Thanks.

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited May 2014

retrolol said

Been lurking and wondering. Brian, in an older post you said to raise ur asking price to offset the dealer doc fee. I would think that u would lower ur asking price, I.e. offer less$$. I must be missing something here. I must be confusing asking with selling price> @brian125 said:

Retrolol,

Yes you are correct. The way i worded that post does confuse pricing... your target price or opening offer to each dealership to buy should have the doc fee included in your price.

Example : if my target price is 1000 below dealers invoice and the dealers doc fee's are 399 my target price is 1399 below invoice. This makes doc fee charge a wash on the bill of sale.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited May 2014

@rolaur said:
    Brian,

Was wondering if you could give me an idea of target price for a CRV EXL w/Nav in the Sarasota, FL area. Have an OTD from one dealer for $28,192. Thanks.

There are several factor's that help or hurt you when you negotiate a new car,

Supply and demand , your area, knowing how and when to buy . How good you can negotiate or play the buying game. these factor's will help or hurt you making a very good deal or a bad deal.

target price low = 1000 below dealers invoice

target price high = 1900 below

If you could buy at 1500 below dealers invoice after taking doc fee into consideration you have made a very nice deal.

look for a good deal at these 3 Dealerships on west coast

AutoNation

wilde

hendrick of bradenton

edited May 2014

Brian, the otd price was with a $25,831 unit priced CRV EXL plus the dest, doc etc. How do I know the invoice so as to know what to target. I get $1000 plus doc fee off of invoice and can probably get there but need to know where "there" is. Thanks. Oh and that price is from one of those dealers you listed and another of those gave me the bull of "we will beat your best price" but we will see! Also, do you consider the destination fee as part of the invoice price?
    This is the first new car I have bought in a long time. Usually buy lease turn ins that are 2 years old and still under warranty but it seems these new CRV prices are just too close to used prices. Also, got a price of $27.235 +++ for Navi. Sorry first post incorrect. Thanks for all the help on here!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2014

We (and plenty of other sites) have invoice prices.

Good question about destination - some sites roll that in with the invoice price, others break it out.

We break it out, so invoice on a 2014 EX-L AWD with Nav is $28,738 plus $830 destination. That adds up to $29,568. (Invoice is kind of an ephemeral number anymore, but that's another issue. USA Today link).

If I've confused which CR-V you are shopping, you can use my first link to get the right invoice number.

Options or any ad fees in your area will bump up the price. Honda really doesn't offer option packages like most brands it seems (but your dealer does).

• 0sunny00sunny0 Member Posts: 3

I got a price from our local dealer for 2014 CRV EX-L AWD
    MSRP: 29775
    Sale Price: 27556
    Tax: 1788.92
    Tag and title fee: 1.25
    Documentation: 149
    Down payment: 2000
    OTD: 27495.17

Is it a good price in Indiana area? But the APR is 3%. I was told the 0.9%APR is not available any more...

@0sunny0, I don't see any CR-V incentives except for the military discount.

Looks like you are about $1,000 under TMV right now.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    0sunny0, I don't see any CR-V incentives except for the military discount.

Looks like you are about $1,000 under TMV right now.

I am not sure if the dealer applied any incentives. I looked my quote again and found out the way dealer wrote it down was confusing. Since I put $2000 down payment, the real OTD price should be 27496.17+2000 = $29496.17

And I don't have military incentive.

• jtm1631jtm1631 Member Posts: 8

I received a quote on a 2014 Honda CR-V EX AWD and from a dealer in Denver and it seems high. MSRP of $27,125. Price of car $25,125 and the indication was that the incentives were changing on May 13th so the price may change.

Any thoughts on pricing in the Denver area?

edited May 2014

OTD prices vary since we all have different tax rates and different doc fees.

So, just focusing on TMV for my zip code for a 2014 EX-L 2.4L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed automatic, I get $28,842.

No incentives, so the price of the car to beat before taxes and fees is $28.9k.

$27,556 for the car before fees is good. Throw in taxes and fees and you get to the total OTD price of $29,496. Still doing good, just make sure your down payment isn't added to the top of the $29,796 number. I make my wife do that part since my math gets fuzzy, and you have to watch out, especially on those four square forms. ;)

Your doc fees are pretty reasonable compared to lots of other dealers and taxes and registration are what they are.

@brian125 may have some more suggestions on getting an even better price.

@jtm1631 said:
    I received a quote on a 2014 Honda CR-V EX AWD and from a dealer in Denver and it seems high. MSRP of $27,125. Price of car $25,125 and the indication was that the incentives were changing on May 13th so the price may change.

breakdown your deal. selling price ? Was dest/ charge included or not. Any incentives added into this selling price?. what are dealerships doc fee charge?

@0sunny0 said:
    I got a price from our local dealer for 2014 CRV EX-L AWD
    MSRP: 29775
    Sale Price: 27556
    Tax: 1788.92
    Tag and title fee: 1.25
    Documentation: 149
    Down payment: 2000
    OTD: 27495.17

Is it a good price in Indiana area? But the APR is 3%. I was told the 0.9%APR is not available any more...

I recieved a email from someone 2 weeks ago from your state bought CRV for 1389 below invoice price. It seems your in the ball park. The CRV exl awd model is 27,170 plus dest/ charge of 830 totaling 28,000.. Do we have the right model

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145

@jtm1631 said:

I live in Denver - Schomp is a one-price dealer, but they don't tack on any dealer fees, which can run $400-700 I've found.

Yes, the Honda incentives changed this week, but that shouldn't impact the selling price. Just the incentives available to you once you've gotten to that best price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Ok Brian how's this deal. 2014 CRV EXL Navi $25,895 price (includes destination fee, $699 dealer profit, $1596 sales tax and $259 tag, reg and fluff (working on that) so $28,449 OTD. Haven't mentioned my trade yet. That will be another discussion when I get there but I can always walk! I'm the one with the $$$$. Thanks.

@brian125 said:
    I recieved a email from someone 2 weeks ago from your state bought CRV for 1389 below invoice price. It seems your in the ball park. The CRV exl awd model is 27,170 plus dest/ charge of 830 totaling 28,000.. Do we have the right model

Yes it is 2014 Honda CRV 4WD 4dr Wgn EX-L

edited May 2014

@rolaur said:
    Ok Brian how's this deal. 2014 CRV EXL Navi $25,895 price (includes destination fee, $699 dealer profit, $1596 sales tax and $259 tag, reg and fluff (working on that) so $28,449 OTD. Haven't mentioned my trade yet. That will be another discussion when I get there but I can always walk! I'm the one with the $$$$. Thanks.

exl awd or 2wd?

2wd puts you at 1640 below invoice price....... 4wd will be less.. nice price numbers in your area..

edited May 2014

It's a 2wd. Oh and do you happen to know the Honda Finance rate these days for 800 credit? Would be good to know before I go as I'm already pre approved. Thanks.

1.9%

• jtm1631jtm1631 Member Posts: 8

The $15,125 price on the EX includes everything but taxes. The dealer wouldn't provide further details but as I understand from Other dealers there is currently $500 in incentives. That would mean a selling price of $15,625, incentive of $500 for final price of $15,125 plus taxes.

• mike894mike894 Member Posts: 1

Looking at 2014 CRV LX-FWD in Maryland and have negotiated following initial pricing:

19,967 "price"
    830 "destination charge"
    200 processing fee
    309 tags, title, registration
    21,306 subtotal
    1,333 6% sales tax
    22,639 "OTD"

I'm asking them for a couple of extras that seem like fair aftermarket prices ($399 remote starter, and $199 heated front seats). . . after working between two dealerships, they've both said Yes to $22,700 OTD, including the extras (remote and heated front seats)

Welcome opinions before I wrap this up. . . .(we're paying cash as no financing incentives seem to be available at the moment). . . we could easily wait til later in the summer if doing so would save another $400-500. We own two other CRVs (a 97 bought new with 199k miles and a 00 with just 98k on it, bought second hand) - both going strong. Will sell the 97 via private sale. Great forum! Many thanks for the education.

Good price........................ why wait to save 400

• martmd84martmd84 Member Posts: 1

First of all thanks to @brian125, @stever and others for your tips and info.

Writing from the Baltimore MD suburbs, purchased a CR-V yesterday. Here are the details:

2014 CRV EX-L AWD with following add ins (didn't ask for /need them, but sweetened the deal and was the difference between choosing dealerships) - Mud guards, Nitro Fill tires, Cross Bars, Door Visors, Sunroof Visor, wheel locks, pinstripes.

Pricing:

Price - 25,704

Dest - 830

Dealer Processing - 200

Tax - 1,604

TTL - 299

Dealer Cash - (500)

Graduate Program - (500)

Total (OTD) - 27,637

How do you think I did overall? Just curious...

Additional Details (so I dont clog up the more important stuff up top):

• Started with TrueCar (before I found this thread), but also requested quote from one other dealer in the area which wasn't included in TrueCar. That proved to be crucial, since this dealer was offering a lower deal than Truecar.
    • Actually went to 2 dealers to see what I could do in person (not necessarily recommended, but at least saw if they were willing to come down, and what was the finance rate, so I was aware of what I could get with my credit). Had to "walk" from the 2 places since I didnt want to commit that early.
    • Emailed the closest dealer the best (local) online quote I had and asked if it could be matched. That also happened to be the dealer with the accessories. They said they would match even though they had cars with options, I went in and had no major issues. The financing rate also was not an issue.
    • Just one last tip for those closer to DC/Montgomery County, the dealership in Bethesda actually offered a slightly lower price, didn't go there because it would be tough to service the car that far from home. However, not sure if they have the options added in (prob not) or what kind of experience you will have with them, since I didnt pursue it beyond the email quotes.

Sorry for the letter, hopefully this is helpful for someone!

• sckao1sckao1 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2014

I just purchased a CRV from a bay area dealership in California. I was tricked into financing in order to have extra $500 rebate. I was told that the rebate and financing (2.99% APR for 36mo) was through Honda directly. I can not payoff the loan early until after 120 days otherwise the rebate will be forfeited. When I request the terms and conditions in print, they told me to just look through Honda's website. It seems that most people finance directly from Honda reported that there is no prepayment wait time or penalty. Has anyone ever heard of such financing terms?

• sckao1sckao1 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2014

Here is pricing information for a CRV EX AWD from Palo Alto Honda.
    Internet instant quote $23488 including $850 destination charges and ($500) Honda cash back, which requires financing through Honda.
    Tax $2018.45
    TTL $297.75
    Documentation $80
    Dealer cash back for trade-in and buying at the same transaction ($500)
    Final OTD $ 25384.20

• jackiebeejackiebee Member Posts: 3

Spent today on the internet/phone with all the dealers in my area. I am looking for a 2104 CRV EXL AWD. The best price I was quoted is as follows
    $26,557 (includes dest fee)
    6% sales tax in PA $1,593.42
    $248 doc fee
    Total OTD price $28,398

A local dealer said they will beat my best offer by 100 if I bring it in in writing. However I'm hoping to negotiate a bit more since we are winding down to the end of the month. How does this deal look so far? I have excellent credit (above 800) is there any wiggle room on financing. I noticed they are offering 0.9% financing for accords but not CRVS this week.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

"A local dealer said they will beat my best offer by 100 if I bring it in in writing"

Just disregard statements like this from a dealer.. Someone else does the hard work and then they get to decide if they want to beat the deal, or not.. The only way to get the best deal is to be ready to sign a check. If you think you have someone's best deal, and you want to save another hundred, just say, "Take $100 more off and I'll buy it right now".

By the time you go shop that deal to the other dealer, find out they won't beat it, then come back.. the first dealer might change their mind.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• albert5albert5 Member Posts: 42

in WA state, for 2014 CRV EX AWD silver w/ black interior (no add ons) - I was able to negotiate with 2 dealers so far : first dealer - OTD of $27,500 with 2 year free maintenance and 0.9% for 60months with $200 referral. 2nd dealer - OTD of $27,200 with 0.9% for 60months. Is this a good deal within my state?

@albert5 said:
    in WA state, for 2014 CRV EX AWD silver w/ black interior (no add ons) - I was able to negotiate with 2 dealers so far : first dealer - OTD of $27,500 with 2 year free maintenance and 0.9% for 60months with $200 referral. 2nd dealer - OTD of $27,200 with 0.9% for 60months. Is this a good deal within my state?

Low and high target price in your state.............1000 to 1700 below dealers invoice

Hi Brian...in PA is a CRV EXL AWD Silver, black interior no extras OTD of $28,398 a good deal?

@jackiebee said:
    Hi Brian...in PA is a CRV EXL AWD Silver, black interior no extras OTD of $28,398 a good deal?

Breakdown your deal and I will comment.

Selling price ? does this price include destanation charge? what is dealers doc fee charge? Are there any incentives or rebates added to your OTD number.

Selling price = $26,557 (includes dest charge)
    Tax (6%) = 1593.42
    Doc fee = $248
    OTD = $28,398.42

• no1b4me1no1b4me1 Member Posts: 41

Bought yesterday, thanks board and Brian
    CRV AWD EX-L , financed for 60 months @ 1.9%
    Price (incl dest) 25,600
    Taxes: 1664
    Title/Lic: 221
    Doc fee: 115

OTD: 27,600

Very nice deal you made.. Good luck with your new CRV

• plalaplala Member Posts: 16

I was offered below price for Honda CR-V AWD EX in chicago area. This deal was for memorial day only. Was this a good deal or wait for 2015 Honda CR-V which will come out on couple of months?

Sale Price - 23,394.00 (destination fee included)
    Document Fee - 166.27
    ERT Fee - 25.00
    Sales Tax - 1,685.97
    New License Plates - 196.00
    Total - *25,467.24

Financing rate was 2.99%. I though Honda offers 1.9% APR. Is this true?

Plala,

You are going to pay invoice or a little below on a 2015 CRV when they start rolling out in Sept/ Oct. If money is tight on your end buy a late summer 2014 model.. Labor day or after. you will find a excellent deal.. The 2014/ 2015 models are not changed, only some minor upgrades and features offered.

edited May 2014

@jackiebee said:
    Selling price = $26,557 (includes dest charge)
    Tax (6%) = 1593.42
    Doc fee = $248
    OTD = $28,398.42

There is room for more savings but if you dont want to haggle further make the deal you have done alright.

here is the breakdown on your models invoice price w dest/charge

.......... 28,000

....... - 26,557.................selling price of CRV

= 1443 below invoice price
    minus doc fee of 248= ................1195 below dealers invoice price

• albert5albert5 Member Posts: 42
    Guys,
    Any feedback will be appreciated.

Currently, im seeing in portland oregon area where 2014 crv awd EX are selling for "advertised internet price" of $25,525 within 4-5 dealers. Same thing with the 2014 crv awd EXL no navi/ent for "adv internet price" of $28,180

Does this mean, the crv price is starting to go down and we can start to negotiate for ex awd starting from $24,700 OTD and for EXL awd start around $27,000 OTD?

albert5

Some dealers with more vehicles in stock will sell lower.

• raam2raam2 Member Posts: 10

HI everyone

I had messaged this forum around 2 months ago. I am buying a CR-V LX 2WD from Houston. I postponed my purchase by 2 months, and the prices are stable - very similar both times.

I am planning to buy the first week of June, and have a OTD of ~22170 $ (price:19758, dest:830, tax:1300, inventory tax: 43, doc fee: 125, TTL: 125), with window tint costing an additional 185. I am loking at a price of ~ 1650 less than invoice. I did not haggle either the first time or this time, as I knew I was getting a good deal. I might ask the dealer to include the tint for free perhaps at most.

The differences between the last two months were: There is no flex cash this time around, and I can get my own financing this time if needed. I think this goes additional power for me to bargain for a good APR.

I will keep this group updated about how it goes on Monday. I am expecting a hassle free purchase with no pressure.

Thanks a lot for the inputs from this site, and to Brian and Stever.

edited May 2014

I posted this in the Accord forum but it applies to you guys to buying a New CRV . Warranty Prices on the CRV models will run alittle cheaper than on the Accord models.

Your warranty was purchased at a very good price. Most dealers will not sell that 7/60k for 900 dollars...................... Please post dealers name for us.. Enjoy your new ride

There are 3 dealers that will sell that same warranty between 800 and 900 dollars . You can Compare online prices between all of them.. You might be able to knock a few more dollars off there online price depending on what plan you take. If you just bought a expensive service plan cancel it and buy from one of the below dealers.

1- hyannishondacare.com.......................... has the best pricing right now

2- saccuccihondacare.com................,....... Will match has excellent pricing

3- curryhondacare.com............................. they will match above 2 dealers prices.

Over the years I've read that some plans won't let you cancel and then turn around and buy the extended warranty again, so it'd be good to double check that first.

• roadrunner45roadrunner45 Member Posts: 1

Hey guys. Thanks for all the updates and info. Here is my current deal that I am planning on pulling the trigger on tomorrow. Baltimore metro area
    2014 crv lx awd
    Included in the selling price are mud flaps, all weather mats, cargo tray and cargo organizer
    Msrp 25025
    Selling price is 21500 including 830 freight
    Processing is 200
    MD tax is 6 percent of 21700 = 1302
    Title and tags is $279
    OTD is 23281
    That is after 2 days of negotiation. Do you think there is more room since it is coming up on months end?

Great price make the deal/................ post dealer you bought from after your sale

• mrbrewersmrbrewers Member Posts: 6

Can you tell me if this is a good deal in SC for AWD CRV-EXL, sale price 25900 + TTT apprx 850 = 26750. This is not OTD price, Interestingly we need to pay Sales tax approx 850 later to SC state (don't need to pay at purchase) = final total (Take home price) = 27600. This model does not have navigation or rear entertainment system. Appreciate all your hep.

• rags10rags10 Member Posts: 7

Bryan, Can you tell me if this is a good deal in VA for CRV EXL AWD.
    Sale Price: 24275 + Destination Fee:830 + Taxes + Tag Fees + Dealer Fee 398.
    The Out the door price is 27000.
    Dealer is giving the following accessories included as part of the deal:
    All weather mats
    Splash Guards
    Wheel Locks.
    Appreciate all your help.

• rameshkumarrameshkumar Member Posts: 1

Hey everyone,
    Being a first time car buyer, thanks to this site I have learnt a lot and is quite helpful.
    I have received a deal in Tx for 2014 CRV EX FD.
    Sale Price: 22095 + Destination Fee:830 + ST: 1432 + Document Fee: 125 with an OTD of
    $24,652.Do you think it is a good deal?

edited May 2014

@rags10 said:
    Bryan, Can you tell me if this is a good deal in VA for CRV EXL AWD.
    Sale Price: 24275 + Destination Fee:830 + Taxes + Tag Fees + Dealer Fee 398.
    The Out the door price is 27000.
    Dealer is giving the following accessories included as part of the deal:
    All weather mats
    Splash Guards
    Wheel Locks.
    Appreciate all your help.

Rags10; this deal is 2,895 below invoice and almost 2500 under dealers invoice after doc fee's of 398 are subtracted from price. seems to good to be true..

Invoice price with destanation for your model is $28,000 even after taking into consideration dealers 398 doc fee charge looks like you have a monster deal in the works. plus dealer is throwing in mats and guards... Where do i sign for this deal. Best price to date on this crv without flex cash offered. Post selling dealership when you complete this deal

This discussion has been closed.