Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Without knowing a lot of details Edmunds pricing is around $7500 trade, $8600 private sale.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

$12K is more like a dealer asking price. I'd say the sweet spot to sell this vehicle privately is around 8.5K to $10K. The dealer is offering a full recon and safety check, financing, possibly a warranty, and has a generous advertising budget, and you can't compete with that.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,924
    edited May 2014

Guess I'll call it a Limited FWD and assume its a decent color. Location is the next part of the equation. These don't do quite as well in the northern states. However, no matter where you are, $7k is actually a pretty strong offer. Most of the nicest ones are barely breaking $7k at the block, so whoever made you that offer is apparently thinking of selling it themselves. That being said, they'd be quite happy to ask $11k and take $9500. So I think you are overpriced. I'd detail the hell out of it, list it for $10k, and take the first $8500 cash offer that came along. So Shifty was right on the money.

I see now you are in Louisiana. That helps a little. You could, if so inclined and have the time, up those numbers by $500. So $10,495 asking price and grab at $9k. Down in those southern states, all the comparables have like 110k-120k miles, so you've got an advantage there.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• haydellameliahaydellamelia Member Posts: 23

It is FWD. I am in Louisiana. I am definitely not taking offense. I realize that it's a 10 year old vehicle, but its in good shape. Yes, it does have the normal wear and tear from kids. No ice cream or cereal, but definitely goldfish. LOL

So, with that being said…KBB is way off for private party? Should I get a full detail on it? I just spent over $600 on four brand new tires. Doesn't that count for something? Unfortunately we have a loan on this vehicle, and I want out of it. I feel like its a lose/lose situation.

new tires is a good selling point, but doesn't add to the value. It is assumed everything is OK on it. Needed repairs only takes away.

Frankly, the fact that you owe money on a 10-yr-old vehicle is where you set yourself up to feel like you are in a losing situation. And if you still owe $10k on a 10-yr-old vehicle... well... I can only say you should stick with it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It is actually a long story. Don't judge! :) Thanks for the advice.

edited May 2014

oops

• chow3chow3 Member Posts: 37

South Florida base miata blue with black top and interior. 2006 with 76,000 miles, automatic. Local dealer recent trade in good but not excellent shape. They have it on the web for $10,500. Not sure about the auto but fair offer?

edited May 2014

Not sure what you mean by "good but not excellent shape". That's a qualifier that makes me want to hit the car pretty low----and added to possible condition issues are the facts of it being a base model and an automatic. You probably don't want to hear my number. The dealer wouldn't consider it. For $10.5K you should be able to get a better optioned model in better condition with the same miles.

• stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    edited May 2014

I have a one owner 2004 Lexus SC430, Midnight Pine and saddle. Garaged in NJ and dealer maintained. Very good condition and only 25K mi. Spoiler (only option available) and professional SIRIUS radio installation. Looking to sell. Any ideas as to value from dealer or private sale? Thanks.

• chow3chow3 Member Posts: 37

Thanks on the Miata. May drive it and see how it drives. Love to find a local 06 with a stick for under 10k.

I think that can be done.

• seank2seank2 Member Posts: 79

This is an addendum to those following my saga over on the CCBA Board. I spent Saturday up and down Atlantic Boulevard in Jacksonville, FL, which is their dealer row.

Fully realizing this isn't the most exciting vehicle on the road, by any stretch of the imagination, it is probably exactly what I need for my next vehicle, since I'm on the road for business so much.

So, we have a 2011 Lexus ES350
    Cerulean Blue over parchment leather
    3.5 V6, 6 AT
    All the standard goodies: slider, dual auto climate, 6 cd changer, XM
    Plus: heated and cooled seats, wood steering wheel and shift knob, and "Intelligent Parking" which I think is mostly the front and rear parking sensors.
    34,1xx miles
    One owner, off lease out of Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

This is a CPO car, and the 100,000 mile warranty is what attracts me most to it, since I drive 22,000 + miles per year. ES's are a dime a dozen, but not so many CPO cars.

Asking price is $28,990, and they're not very motivated to come off that number very much. I know I said over at CCBA that I wanted to stay around $25K, but the CPO warranty is tempting, and I would add a warranty to whatever I buy. Still, Lexus tends to be proud of their stuff. TMV says this should be around $26K, a number I like much better,

Located at the Lexus (and MB and Porsche dealer) in Jacksonville, Florida.

Here: http://www.brumoslexusofjacksonville.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Lexus-ES_350-4dr_Sdn-Jacksonville-FL/2252387673

I know what my trade is worth, and Q was spot on, so the difference is the question. They're offering $11,000 on my trade (07 MB R320 CDI, 107,000 miles) which is decent, not exceptional, but in the ball game.

What say the experts?

I don't think you should pay that just because it's CPO. I mean, it's a Lexus not a Range Rover or a BMW. .

I bet you could get this one (below) for $26K or less and it has more equipment on it. Also one-owner.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/4455941813.html

In any event, if you want to pay $25K offer that. If they squeal, counter with 26K and then walk.

They're going to put your R320 on the lot for $17,995 so they aren't hurting on this at all. They've already lowered the price on the ES, so they know they're high.

edited May 2014

Miata - black top and interior ain't good in So FL.
    I'm gonna go low on this and say it might see $7k at auction. So $9k should buy it.

SC430 - dealer might give you $20k if feeling lucky/generous. Maybe a little less. Private party? well, miles are super low so I'd shoot for a premium. Ask $23,995 and go from there.

Another lexus in Florida ... hey, so I know this person selling a super low mile SC430.... ;)
    Ok, the ES. Looks like one they bought at the Orlando auction back on 5/5 for $22,500. Can't say I know what a Lexus CPO costs, but let's say they've got $24... maybe $24.5k into it?? But who knows? They could have buried themselves, but that's not your concern. I think the $26k number is a pretty good one. But I suppose $27k isn't killing anyone, as long as you love it and keep it a long time.

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    edited May 2014

Was wondering about the prices of Tahoes and Expeditions. Generally speaking, the asking prices seem very high. Then again, these things cost a ton new. Both models are being replaced soon. In and around Pittsburgh, PA, I found these.

2013 Tahoe LT 4wd with leather 18K for 35,000. This seems to be priced right.

2011 Tahoe LT 4wd, no leather, 42k for 27,000.

201l Expedition XLT, no leather with 32K for 29,000

I like the Tahoe better but I like the fold flat 3rd row of the Expedition. If I wanted to spend 25,000 on a Tahoe. How old would I have to go?

Sequoias are the most expensive, right?

edited May 2014

2013 Tahoe = 5 of these went through PA recently. 3 out of the 4 each got $33,100. So $35k is quite a good deal.

2011 Tahoe = is that silver? If so, could be the one that sold for $27,900. But that $27k asking price says otherwise. Wonder why so cheap. Even those with miles between 50k-60k hover around $27k.

2011 Exp = I'm assuming also 4wd, which puts it right around $27k as well.

A 2010 Tahoe LS 4wd with 60k miles should put you where you want to be. Although I can't understand the use. Is it to have 3 rows and tow 3 tons at the same time? I mean, that's the only advantage, right?

edited May 2014

@qbrozen said: Although I can't understand the use. Is it to have 3 rows and tow 3 tons at the same time? I mean, that's the only advantage, right?

Trying to appease my wife. She thinks we need a big SUV if and when we ditch the minivan. She also has decided that she likes big SUVs. Although, I would be driving this one. I realize the "trunk" is pretty small on these and that the smarter play would be a Suburban. However, I am worried about parking something that big.

I was guessing that the Tahoe would be more expensive than the Expedition.

I guess these price are where they should be when a new one is around 50,000.

Thanks for the insight.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896

@robbieg said:
    I guess these price are where they should be when a new one is around 50,000.

Um, try again. C&D had a quick review of the 2015 Tahoe LTZ 4WD. Base price is $63K and the as tested price cracked the $70K barrier.

Yowza!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

yeah, I just don't get it.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410

@robbieg‌

Just a few points about Tahoes in general. Don't be afraid to go a few years older or with one that has a few more miles. These trucks are built with lots of "old school technology" and are really durable. They are simple to work on and don't require any more maintenance than a run of the mill camcord. I'd stay away from early build 2009s as that was the 1st year of the 6 speed automatic. Other than that, they have remained exactly the same. My best friend had a 2009 that he traded in for a 2011. He put over 65K miles on both. My Dad had a 2010 that he traded in for a 2011. Both of my Dad's trucks have had over 50K miles on them. His current 2011 was at the dealer for just the second time since he bought it. I had to get a new key made and remote programmed.

Tahoes have a solid, smooth ride. They are absolutely unstoppable in the snow. Camcord reliability. Its got a V8:)

The biggest problem is interior space. For such a large vehicle, interior space is definitely lacking. If the 3rd row is installed, there is basically zero space behind the 3rd row for storage. The 3rd row seats are heavy and bulky to install. Just for a reference point, there are 5 of us in my family. The last 2 years we've driven down to Charlotte, NC for summer vacation. My parents have offered us the Tahoe (2011 LTZ) both times. Both times we've declined and taken our Pilot which makes much better use of its interior space.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@nyccarguy said:
    The biggest problem is interior space. For such a large vehicle, interior space is definitely lacking. If the 3rd row is installed, there is basically zero space behind the 3rd row for storage. The 3rd row seats are heavy and bulky to install. Just for a reference point, there are 5 of us in my family. The last 2 years we've driven down to Charlotte, NC for summer vacation. My parents have offered us the Tahoe (2011 LTZ) both times. Both times we've declined and taken our Pilot which makes much better use of its interior space.

I am concerned about rear space since we have to carry hockey bags. I have always liked the Tahoe better but the Expedition's 3rd row fold flat. I have a window to drop from 3 cars to 2 at the end of the summer. Basically, I would get to pick a car again since my wife picked the last couple. We would get rid of our van and an RX and buy something big. Before we bought the Highlander we looked at a 4runner but my wife thinks it is too small if we get rid of our van. The real issue is that a midlevel 4runner new is around 37000. A new Tahoe LT starts at about 51,000. Big difference. My friend says the Tahoe is much nicer now but still that is a lot of money for a family car. My other concern is that we still use the van a lot.

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

For someone who drives only 2-3K miles per year, does it make sense to buy a 1-2 year old car with high miles (which over time would become normal miles) and sell in a few years, or buy new and drive it to the ground?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486

at that use, it will never see the ground, unless you live to be 100.

Sounds to me like the perfect situation to get a screaming deal on a newish car with hi miles.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341

What stick said...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

ditto

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241

Curious what you're seeing on GM cars with the recall issues and such. I need a couple cars for my fleet and thought about used if there are smoking deals on them from all the bad publicity. My buddy has dealers license/auction access and will grab me one but he's low-tech and doesn't have the online results access. I'm thinking a 2012 Malibu LT with <20k miles in like-new condition. Thoughts?

4cyl 1LT? Hanging around the low $14k zip code.

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241

Thanks, doesn't sound like the recall is hurting resale. I was thinking closer to $10k would be a good deal. $14k is pretty meh. Not sure who is buying these used at such a premium but whatever floats their boat. I'll take a new Accord LX for under $20k.

• seank2seank2 Member Posts: 79

In the continuing quest for a new work, road warrior vehicle, the Lexus guys in Jacksonville are quite eager to unload that Cerulean Blue ES350 I posted about last week. Listed at $28,990, came back at $26,990 all in all done. Then $26,500, now $26,000. They've got something north of $25,700 in it, based on Q's auction value and the receipts the dealer has shown me, including $850 worth of tires and a new battery. The 0.9% financing makes this tempting, but I'm struggling in my head about the actual payment every month, especially once a roll the negative I have into the loan.

So, the next contender is a 2011 Toyota Avalon Limited. Classic Silver over light grey leather. The Limiteds only come loaded, and it does NOT have navigation. Everything else: heated and cooled seats, dual auto climate, xenons, sunroof.
    Obviosuly, 3.5 V6, 6AT, the only way they come.
    It is a Toyota CPO car, as well.
    44,xxx miles

This one is located at the Toyota Store in Valdosta, Georgia, and the carfax says they sold it new. List price on the website is $24,331. The internet manager at that dealer is the niece of my paralegal's husband. Since I'm not above using the connections when I've got them, she gave me a bottom line price of $22,980, which seems like a fairly strong number.

Details here:

http://www.valdostatoyota.com/preowned/index.cfm/page/certified/action/view_2011_toyota_avalon/vehicle/4T1BK3DB8BU379076/

The Lexus is tempting, but saving $3,000, especially over 36 months of payments, is hard to ignore too.

So, how is the number on the Avalon?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293

The $850 for the Lexus includes the tires and the battery. I hope.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

yeah, its $3k less, but its also a badge-level lower and 10k more miles. Does the 'yota also have 0.9% financing?

Avalon would be somewhere in the $21k zip code at the block. So its a good price.

I just wonder how the 2 will stack up 3 years from now.

Hey qbrozen…looking for some advice..
    Looking at a 2011 GMC C1500 SLE
    Grayish Green in color
    47,482 miles
    "ASKING" price is $26,900

The carfax only has 2 service records available, so not sure if that should be a concern or not.

Deciding between the 2010-2013 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab or 2010-2013 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab. Not sure which one would be a better choice.

I need more info. There are a couple dozen combinations to choose from.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709

Alright - getting serious enough about this one to ask the wise ones here:

In Denver,
    2013 BMW 528i xdrive, auto tranny, 20k miles, one owner, clean carfax, clean car overall.
    Deep Sea Blue over Oyster interior.
    Premium, Cold Weather and Tech packages.

At a Land Rover dealer, so not CPO - originally listed at $41,500, now down to $38,500.

With a little prodding, they said they could knock off another $500, so we're at $38,000, plus their high D&H of $795, so let's just call it what it is and say $38,795.

Based on my research and what else is being offered in my area, seems very competitively priced, but always like to check in with you all.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

And any insight into the market for recent model Lexus ES350s? (Yes, I know - cross-shopping 528s and ES350s???!?)

Looked at a nicely equipped one as follows:

2013 ES350, 20k miles, CPO
    Gray over black leather. Luxury package, navigation, BSM, etc. (so nicely equipped - about $45k MSRP originally).
    Lexus dealer has it listed for $36,991 - didn't bother trying to negotiate on it, but seems $1-2k high, but as was pointed out in earlier posts, Lexus dealerships in general are very proud of their product).

there is a gap in the data between 15k and 30k miles, but best guesstimate is $34k-$35k. I'd imagine someone traded it in and probably got hosed at the low end of that. I wouldn't want it for more than $37k, personally.

Lexus is in about that $34k number, too, so $37k CPO seems quite good from where I'm sitting. Although, to be thorough, almost all the ones I'm seeing are in parts of the country that don't see snow, so maybe that's making a difference in Denver.(?)

Thanks q!

So a $55k 528i xdrive and a $45k ES350 (MSRPs) end up being around the same value after the same 18 months and 20k miles?

So what's the takeaway from that? The BMW is a better used value? Lexus really does live up to its resale reputation?

For similar money, seems you're getting a lot more with the AWD 5 series, more appropriately competing with the GS in the Lexus lineup. But I guess they're worth what they're worth.

Thanks again - very insightful. Particularly since I was thinking the BMW was actually better priced. Good to know the Lexus dealership is actually being reasonable.

• sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122

Hello: I would appreciate a trade/wholesale value for the following:
    2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD
    19,500 miles
    Pearl White
    Bose, Power Liftgate, Sunroof
    Excellent Shape
    Louisiana

Thanks!

almost all of the AWDs have been here in the northeast, so your findings at the dealership may vary ... I'm seeing about $25k for it.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966

Just curious about our situation. The wife's Mazda3s has 133k on the clock now and the a/c is on it's last legs and was wondering when we trade it, will she get more with it working or without? Personally, I hate to put anymore $ into it besides oil changes/rotations because even though it still runs nicely besides the wonkey a/c, just think it's throwing it out the window. It will need new tires within 20k miles for sure and am figuring if she decides to fix the air and then do the tires, might as well keep it for another year...if she throws another $1k at it, might as well just go for it and keep the bloody thing.
    Is this nuts or what???

The Sandman :(B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@sandman_6472‌

The AC in that car has been giving you problems for the past 3 years. You live in FLA, AC is a car's MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

won't probably make much difference, since they aren't giving you jack diddle on a trade in anyway.

have you ever actually had it diagnosed to find out what it will cost to repair?

but if you do fix it might as well keep it a bit longer. It has pretty much bottomed out in value anyway.

edited June 2014

well, yeah, a car with everything working is worth more. How MUCH more is the question. Is that a sedan or hatch? I'm assuming automatic, right?

Hey there - found another 5-series that I like, probably better than that 528i xdrive. Curious as to how the value compares - 2 model years older, but the 535 model instead:

Again in Denver,

2011 BMW 535i xdrive, CPO, 30k miles
    Premium Package, Cold Weather, Tech Package (navigation, heads up display)
    Sport package
    Silver over black leather

Supposedly one-price dealer, listed at $38,891.

What are you thoughts on what they have into it, and thus, fair retail?

Thanks!

Dang, you are all over the place.

How about, since you like the Passat, and they have great deals right now, trade up to a V6 Passat SEL. Get all the luxo goodies you are missing, keeping the size, and get the V6 engine like the Lexus has.

edited June 2014

I've thought about it. Would certainly be cheaper than the BMW or Lexus route. Or simply a 1.8T or TDI SEL model.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527

TDI leases just got $20\mo. cheaper, this month

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

$20 cheaper? I like the sound of that