Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Expired OnStar - 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Chevrolet
imageExpired OnStar - 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

OnStar Service Expired in our 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

The only person I know who uses OnStar is the kind of person who, back in the 90s, could never understand how to get her VCR to stop blinking "12:00".

• Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365

Leave it.

• Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365

My wife and I have kept mBrace active in her E-Class for two reasons: firstly, the app to send an address directly from your phone to the car's navigation system is super convenient and secondly the automatic emergency notification if the airbags deploy could be life saving. Onstar, mBrace, etc are the kind of services you pay for and never really use, but there is that one in a million chance that it is the one thing that saves your life. That is reason enough for us to keep our service active.

• Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308

Get the Automotive app/dongle for your OBDII port and you can have emergency crash notification for a one time fee of $99 (in addition to a whole bunch of other cool features).

• Options
    cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    edited June 2014

When i wrecked my 2014 Mazda6 it automatically dialed 911 from my BT enabled phone. For free. OnStar, Audi Connect, all of these in car services are a racket. You have a phone with a data connection, you should be allowed to use that connection for some of the services offered thru OnStar like making calls and emergency calls, data connections, controlling the cars door locks, etc.

• Options
    barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    edited June 2014

It's pretty inexcusable that it won't function even in an emergency without payment. Regular cell phones (basically what OnStar is) must be able to dial 911 even if they're not activated. $29 per month is also a pretty absurd price. My home internet is $30 a month, as is my cell phone service, and both of them provide much greater value.

• Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229

"My wife and I have kept mBrace active in her E-Class for two reasons: firstly, the app to send an address directly from your phone to the car's navigation system is super convenient and secondly the automatic emergency notification if the airbags deploy could be life saving."

You have to pay for those? With Ford's Sync both are free. You can send directions to your nav using mapquest and like others mentioned here the car will dial 911 on your phone if you wreck.

I can't believe people pay for this stuff nowadays!

• Options
    ajac03ajac03 Member Posts: 37

$29 a month is ridiculous. Maybe if it was $5, but that's about as much as you would pay for a cheap internet connection. OnStar is an old school technology that somehow made it into newer cars..

• Options
    typeshtypesh Member Posts: 22

$29/month is pretty steep, though maybe a lower level package might strike the right compromise. That said, I think this is the type of passive service I would want on my mother's or wife's or child's car, but I don't really feel like I need for myself.

• Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

@sockpuppet1969 said:
    Get the Automotive app/dongle for your OBDII port and you can have emergency crash notification for a one time fee of $99 (in addition to a whole bunch of other cool features).

I thought about this. Does the "Automatic" dongle drain the battery when the car is off?

• Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365

@baggs32,

You are really paying for the data connection in the car. mBrace doesn't use your personal cellphone at all, therefore it works even if your phone doesn't. The car has an internet/telephone connection all its own so really you are paying for that service. It is a step beyond Sync because that emergency notification system only works in a very select set of circumstances.

• Options
    keenanjkeenanj Member Posts: 2

You can still use the remote link app to lock / unlock and sound horn without onstar subscription it was nice to leave that in there. The only other thing I used was the remote link send directions to non nav c7 this worked great but requires a subscription.

• Options
    keenanjkeenanj Member Posts: 2

You can still use the remote link app to lock / unlock and sound horn without onstar subscription it was nice to leave that in there. The only other thing I used was the remote link send directions to non nav c7 this worked great but requires a subscription.

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

I wish onstar had gone away so easy on our last two vehicles.