Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Sunroof Fail - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageSunroof Fail - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

The sunroof on our 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 doesn't work right anymore.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    turbosparkturbospark Member Posts: 1

Dead battery will do that; to the windows too. Don't press it to the double stop auto-open setting - just halfway and hold while it opens all the way and for 5 seconds after. Should work right after that...

• Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365

This is something that happens to EVERY MB built between the mid '90's and the mid 2000's. Sometimes it is caused by a dead battery, but sometimes it simply loses track of itself. It is extremely annoying, but a very easy fix. The sunroof just needs to be re-zeroed, in essence. Just fight through the many stops and open it all the way then hold the open button for a few seconds longer. Repeat this by closing it and holding the close button a few seconds. This should resync everything and get it working like normal again.

• Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649

I wonder who will be the dubious "winner" of the unreliability sweepstakes- the Model S or the CL65 AMG?

• Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531

@mercedesfan said:
    This is something that happens to EVERY MB built between the mid '90's and the mid 2000's. Sometimes it is caused by a dead battery, but sometimes it simply loses track of itself. It is extremely annoying, but a very easy fix. The sunroof just needs to be re-zeroed, in essence. Just fight through the many stops and open it all the way then hold the open button for a few seconds longer. Repeat this by closing it and holding the close button a few seconds. This should resync everything and get it working like normal again.

If it is that common, one has to wonder why M-B hasn't developed a better solution than to "resync" it. German engineering used to be worth something.

• Options

I guess this "new" system will take some getting used to... My comments are included in the mercedesfan quote I just posted.

• Options

@greenpony said:
    I guess this "new" system will take some getting used to... My comments are included in the mercedesfan quote I just posted.

Testing.

• Options

@greenpony, Supposedly they have. I didn't run into this problem for the 6 years I owned my S550 and my wife's E-Class hasn't run into this issue either. To me, this is just one more example of why you should NEVER purchase an MB built from 1997-ish to 2005-ish. They just weren't well made cars and had lots of issues like this that were simply design flaws.

• Options
    MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

@greenpony said:

Yes, it can be a bit confusing, but you need to add a line break between your comments and the quote (as pictured here)...

• Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148

Yeah, just resync the roof...and it should work. I have to do this to my VW (windows only) and Mercedes (windows and sunroof) if I disconnect the battery. They must use DRAM in the hall sensors for the motors, in addition to an obstruction sensor, and they have to count the motor turns and put it back into memory after the battery is disconnected.

• Options
    miedenmieden Member Posts: 75

Rtfm, its in there. The solution has been well documented in the comments of this post, also. Greenpony, Mercedesfan its not a design flaw, its because of other features. The roof wont work automatically after battery removal unless the pinch protection is activated, which has to be "calibrated" because other modules besides the Overhead Control Panel (AKA, the roof switch and front light assembly) have access to the sunroof too. "Tunnel Mode" can be activated automatically or manually by the AAC (Climate control) to close or open the roof. Also, Driver-side Door Control Module has access to sunroof when comfort open or closing is activated with the remote or door-lock tumbler. ESP wont function after a battery removal either until the steering sensor has been calibrated.

• Options

@mieden, Just the guy I wanted to hear from. Do you by chance know why this can happen even if the battery has never died? Our old W202 used to have to be recalibrated every other month or so. The battery never died, the roof would simply lose track of itself. That got annoying real quick. That is what I was referring to as a design flaw. The electronics on this generation of MB just weren't well executed.

• Options
    miedenmieden Member Posts: 75

@mercedesfan, most probably a faulty OCP. Possibly a dying battery. Cant really diag electrical faults over the internets... Were you having problems with any of the other features powered by OCP on your model? Vanity mirror lights, rain sensor, interior lighting, auto dimming mirror, garage opener?