Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy Update for May - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Ram
imageFuel Economy Update for May - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds long-term update on the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel pickup. Includes running fuel economy through May 2014.

Read the full story here

Comments

• handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99

23 mpg isn't bad, but considering everything about this truck it's also pretty disappointing. For the extra cost of the diesel you're getting about 2 mpg better than I get with my 2009 F150 4x4 5.4 V8 when I drive it on the highway. My F150 has a 36 gallon tank and if it's mostly highway travel I get WAY more than 600 miles per tank.

My worst fills are, however, way less than 21.4 mpg (more like 14 mpg), but that's city driving, which I don't do much of with my truck. I'd be impressed if you came closer to 28 mpg with that mostly highway driving. But you didn't.

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

I see you still haven't thrown away the throw-away fuel "cap".

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

A worst fill of 21. That's pretty remarkable. I can hit less than 20mpg around town in my 2200 pound 4 cyl '72 MG.

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Hmmm...maybe it's break-in, but yeah - kinda low for majority highway miles.

• trmckintrmckin Member Posts: 10

@handbrake... i must have a lemon. My 08 5.4 is lucky to break a 15 mpg average. I do live at altitude but even at it's best, i've never averaged more than 16 MPG for a tankful. Average around 14.9 life of the vehicle all hand calculated.. not far off the computer though so props to ford for getting it right.

@edmunds... I've been interested in the vehicle as a replacement. I've read on some ram forums that there is a delay in the 4wheel lock activation. Many owners go on to complain that there really is no difference in 4Auto and 4lock with this current transfer case and there are several instances when 4wd won't work b/c the system regularly overheats. Any plans to really test the 4wd system? That's sort of a big deal for those of us living in snow country.

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531

@bankerdanny said:
    A worst fill of 21. That's pretty remarkable. I can hit less than 20mpg around town in my 2200 pound 4 cyl '72 MG.

Absolutely, this is an important number. Most trucks would be hard pressed to get 21 mpg as a "best fill".

• handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99

@trmckin said:
    handbrake... i must have a lemon. My 08 5.4 is lucky to break a 15 mpg average. I do live at altitude but even at it's best, i've never averaged more than 16 MPG for a tankful. Average around 14.9 life of the vehicle all hand calculated.. not far off the computer though so props to ford for getting it right.

There was a fairly significant change in the F150 between the 08 and 09 model years. There were some changes to the engine and, more important, the auto transmission went from a four speed to a six speed. I have a friend who has the earlier model with the 4 speed and he gets around the same mileage you get. Those two extra gears do wonders for highway mileage.